Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I would never get anything under the 512 solely for the better screen. It is shockingly noticeable how much better everything looks on the screen the 512 comes with, and it doesn't even need a protector because it's tough as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I would never get anything under the 512 solely for the better screen. It is shockingly noticeable how much better everything looks on the screen the 512 comes with, and it doesn't even need a protector because it's tough as hell.

I think this is a subjective thing and depends at least partly on the environment in which you're playing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know this is less SteamDeck but Playing Ocarina of time Rando with the "all surfaces climbable" cheat easily accessible via Ship Of Harkinin basically turns the game into a low poly 1080p 60fps Breath of The Wild with actual dungeons.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 26, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
To be honest I got the 512 specifically for the screen and kind of regret it since I ended up throwing a 1TB SSD in anyway. It's definitely a really subjective thing, but I don't think it's a huge difference in either direction.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I know this is less SteamDeck but Playing Ocarina of time Rando with the "all surfaces climbable" cheat easily accessible via Ship Of Harkinin basically turns the game into a low poly 1080p 60fps Breath of The Wild with actual dungeons.

Is there a cheat to skip the stealth section(s) of the game? Whenever I play OoT I finish the Deku Tree then immediately lose interest when I have to start sneaking last guards.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Ytlaya posted:

I think this is a subjective thing and depends at least partly on the environment in which you're playing.
Yeah, for me glossy is always better. Glare/reflections don't matter at all to me, and any coating (by its very nature) reduces image quality and vibrancy to some degree.

Since this is a portable I get why people would lean the other way. It's great that we have options.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm sort of regretting getting the 512 model. I only ever play one game at a time and uninstall when I hit the credits so I probably could have managed with a smaller one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a cheat to skip the stealth section(s) of the game? Whenever I play OoT I finish the Deku Tree then immediately lose interest when I have to start sneaking last guards.

Not sure if it effects the Gerudo guards but there's an option to see the guards range of vision in Hyrule Castle and I'm pretty sure you can turn on the "Shortened Gerudo Valley" setting from the randomiser on to get that over quicker.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'd like to see the two screens side by side in person but the glossy screen of the switch kind of annoyed me. I still bought the cheap deck and it's more or less fine

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

They left the pauper decks glossy so there’d be no escape from the look on your own face as you try to pretend you’re actually enjoying yourself

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/helen/status/1608527250839994371?s=46&t=lxskg4i8VJ2b8R0m-wxJBQ

RME
Feb 20, 2012

AfricanBootyShine posted:

For the child one yes there’s a skip child stealth setting
For the Gerardo valley one, also yes. You can go as far as making you start with the membership card, or you can lower the number if carpenters you need to find to one and complete it almost instantly. Or you could even shuffle the location of the Gerudo membership card which is the weirdest option but in theory you’ll skip it almost every time

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Yeah, for me glossy is always better. Glare/reflections don't matter at all to me, and any coating (by its very nature) reduces image quality and vibrancy to some degree.

Since this is a portable I get why people would lean the other way. It's great that we have options.

This is why the 512 shines, literally. I was skeptical on the screen prior to buying so I tried out both side by side from friends before taking the plunge, and the sharpness and vibrancy of the 512 screen is spectacular and doesn't have the usual "looking through a screen door from 5m away" look that matte coatings always do. Putting a matte protector on the regular screen will objectively look shittier than the 512 screen because it's doing something with the refractive index of the pane or something, it just flat out looks better.

Because of that coating even out in the daylight or in a brightly lit room I never have to turn my brightness above like 80%. I dunno if that ultimately makes any difference on battery life, I run Cryotools so lol battery life, but as someone that's sensitive to blue light insomnia but despises all the poo poo brown filter night sight crap, it's nice to be able to play even in s darker room without worrying about the reflection of the screen off my glasses then reflecting back against the screen and creating glare in the dark patches of the screen.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lotta purchase justification happening right now lol

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can somebody open netflix.com in chrome and see if videos play? they don't for me, and this tutorial doesnt mention the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCVy2BzxzN8

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rolo posted:

Finished RE3make, what an awesome Deck game. Enjoyed it beginning to (unfortunately soon) end. Found RE4R on CDKeys for 46 bucks so I bought a steam key of that. Gonna start it next weeks as a reward if some work stuff goes well.

Hell yeah, finishing games on the Steam Deck.

RE3make is a drat fun game. It might be the most straight up fun to play Resident Evil has ever been - and I might still say that even after starting RE4.

It is short but it's a really breezy game to play through a few times over. Nemesis has some fun moments and it's really replayable with the inclusion of the points shop stuff. It definitely falls down in a bunch of ways as a remake and definitely comes across as being the lowest effort of Capcom's current run with these things, but I've a real soft spot for it on its own merits. I can totally see why it would be a fun one to keep around on Steam Deck.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

wow I thought myself a r3make apologist by thinking it’s only kind of bad instead of terrible

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Talorat posted:

Update: upping the VRAM to 4gb in the bios as per this Reddit thread seems to have fixed Diablo 4 for me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/11ur1yc/diablo_4_constantly_crashes_and_not_sure_why/

Read this thread, upped vram to 4gb. Tried with proton experimental and 7.51 diablo specific builds. Still get crashes, particularly on busy screens when dialogue is engaged and the screen zooms. I can only imagine how bad it would be for world boss.

Whatever, beta problems, still love my deck. And, except for the crashes, the game runs great and button mapping is fantastic.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

RME posted:

wow I thought myself a r3make apologist by thinking it’s only kind of bad instead of terrible

No,it's a fun game. The stuff they cut&changed is missed, but Jill is very fun to play. She's a goddamn Supercop compared to even Leon in 4make and it's just fun to run through the game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
RE3make is fine if you think of it as a video game version of a pretty good Netflix Resident Evil adaptation. It's only when you know what the game was based on that it comes off a lot worse.

That said, it's a very good Deck game.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Read this thread, upped vram to 4gb. Tried with proton experimental and 7.51 diablo specific builds. Still get crashes, particularly on busy screens when dialogue is engaged and the screen zooms. I can only imagine how bad it would be for world boss.

Whatever, beta problems, still love my deck. And, except for the crashes, the game runs great and button mapping is fantastic.

Yeah after I wrote that I had another crash when I tried to change the brightness so I’m going with beta problems. Hopefully it’ll all be sorted out by release.

Diablo got me thinking. The steam deck probably needs an option to install non steam games natively without going to desktop mode. Blizzard is NEVER going to pay valve a 30% cut to put their games on steam, but both sides benefit by Diablo 4 being on the steam deck. Maybe they compromise and put the battlenet launcher as a free to play game in the steam store?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Momomo posted:

RE3make is fine if you think of it as a video game version of a pretty good Netflix Resident Evil adaptation. It's only when you know what the game was based on that it comes off a lot worse.

That said, it's a very good Deck game.

What is it based on? I completely missed whatever drama surrounds 3 and just grabbed it because it looked fun and I liked RE4 back in the day.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fuzz posted:

What is it based on? I completely missed whatever drama surrounds 3 and just grabbed it because it looked fun and I liked RE4 back in the day.

The original RE3 which they bizarrely cut a lot of content in the remake. Which is why it’s even shorter than RE2 which wasn’t a long game to begin with

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Those NReal AR glasses (and similar, though most seem to be based on the same reference design) often being paired with the Steam Deck makes me wonder if a handheld gaming PC that ditched the screen entirely might be marketable. Could be designed a tad stockier, potentially with room for a fatter battery and a lot more surface area for active cooling. Given a Ryzen 7040 series SoC it's 1080p performance would be great.

It'd be a bit more hassle to use by comparison, but the benefit is home console gaming on the go with no compromise (aside from needing to wear slightly doofy looking glasses). It's a product I'd buy, depending on the implementation I guess.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Fuzz posted:

It's not based on anything from Netflix, I just mean that it has the energy of that more than it does the original RE3. As a remake of that game it falls short, as a game version of an adaptation that doesn't exist, you can have fun with it.

There's no world where RE3make is a bad game (unless you paid 60 for it I suppose), just a disappointing one that requires you to change your approach to how you think of it, to get the most out of it.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Mescal posted:

can somebody open netflix.com in chrome and see if videos play? they don't for me, and this tutorial doesnt mention the problem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCVy2BzxzN8

I used this same guide to add all my streaming services and it works perfectly. My deck has now successfully replaced my laptop and I hook it up to hotel screens with the dock when I travel. It all works better than I hoped.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The remakes of 2, 3, and 4 feel very coherent with each other at least. I never played 3 and got the remake after it was discount and it is my favorite. I appreciated how short and fun it was, Jill was awesome. They shouldn't have sold it for full price, though.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

SCheeseman posted:

Those NReal AR glasses (and similar, though most seem to be based on the same reference design) often being paired with the Steam Deck makes me wonder if a handheld gaming PC that ditched the screen entirely might be marketable. Could be designed a tad stockier, potentially with room for a fatter battery and a lot more surface area for active cooling. Given a Ryzen 7040 series SoC it's 1080p performance would be great.

It'd be a bit more hassle to use by comparison, but the benefit is home console gaming on the go with no compromise (aside from needing to wear slightly doofy looking glasses). It's a product I'd buy, depending on the implementation I guess.

Time for a comeback

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I wish there was a documentary on Tiger Electronics, I want to know more about the computer game company that became successful selling nothing but dogshit.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, they didn’t stay successful

Remember hitclips which were cartridge loaded mp3 players that… didn’t play an entire mp3 lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's not a coating, which is partly why matte screen protectors look blurrier than the matte screen. The glass is physically etched to scatter the incoming light rays without sacrificing as much of the image from the panel.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was trying to get B.Net/Diablo IV running on the Deck, but I think I'm going to give up. I could get it to install in Desktop Mode, but I could never get it to either install or detect the installed game in the "regular" Steam mode (I would point it at the directory where it was installed, but it would never find it). One complication is that I was trying to install the game on my SD card, but from what I read pointing the install directory and/or setting some launch option to the SD card directory should address that, but it didn't (or rather it did for Desktop Mode, but could never detect it in "Steam mode."

And it's a tremendous pain in the rear end trying to type anything in B.Net/Steam in Desktop Mode. The keyboard (Steam button + X) doesn't work within those applications (it pops up but can't enter text in the fields), so I had to resort to opening a text editor, typing there, and copying and pasting it (for stuff like logging into B.Net).

I also tried the Lutris method I saw mentioned, and had the same issues - I could install B.Net in Desktop Mode, but could never get it to either install games or detect the games I installed in Desktop Mode.

(I probably wouldn't have played it much on the Steam Deck anyways since it seems like it'd be hard to target enemies with a controller, but I still wanted to get it working just because)

As someone else mentioned, the 512 Steam Deck is actually etched instead of using a coating, so it doesn't do this nearly as much as other matte screens (but it still does it a little bit, and the thing that it fixes never bothers me in the first place).

I think it largely comes down to whether you have the sort of brain that can't help but notice reflections. Mine is kind of the opposite and automatically tunes them out unless it's just a super bad situation (like the screen is dark and there's a bright light being reflected in it).

People talk about seeing their face constantly, but this is only really the case for me if the screen is completely black (or otherwise really dark).

edit: It probably makes the biggest difference if you're playing with the brightness turned down for battery reasons, but I'll rarely need to use it unplugged for long enough to need to save battery like that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Bruxism posted:

I used this same guide to add all my streaming services and it works perfectly. My deck has now successfully replaced my laptop and I hook it up to hotel screens with the dock when I travel. It all works better than I hoped.

i'd rather not follow the guide if it's not going to work. when i go to netflix in chrome, it says
visit chrome://settings/content/protectedcontent and make sure "sites can play protected content" is selected.
m9902-1003

but ive already seen that message and dug up that setting which is no longer located there, and made sure it was selected

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Gah, just got mine on thursday and the left trackpad has already stopped working completely. It's not really stopping me from playing most things but it's pretty frustrating to have something break so quickly. I opened a ticket with steam support hopefully there's some sort of fix that doesn't involve RMA.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Ytlaya posted:

I was trying to get B.Net/Diablo IV running on the Deck, but I think I'm going to give up. I could get it to install in Desktop Mode, but I could never get it to either install or detect the installed game in the "regular" Steam mode (I would point it at the directory where it was installed, but it would never find it). One complication is that I was trying to install the game on my SD card, but from what I read pointing the install directory and/or setting some launch option to the SD card directory should address that, but it didn't (or rather it did for Desktop Mode, but could never detect it in "Steam mode."

And it's a tremendous pain in the rear end trying to type anything in B.Net/Steam in Desktop Mode. The keyboard (Steam button + X) doesn't work within those applications (it pops up but can't enter text in the fields), so I had to resort to opening a text editor, typing there, and copying and pasting it (for stuff like logging into B.Net).

I also tried the Lutris method I saw mentioned, and had the same issues - I could install B.Net in Desktop Mode, but could never get it to either install games or detect the games I installed in Desktop Mode.

(I probably wouldn't have played it much on the Steam Deck anyways since it seems like it'd be hard to target enemies with a controller, but I still wanted to get it working just because)

As someone else mentioned, the 512 Steam Deck is actually etched instead of using a coating, so it doesn't do this nearly as much as other matte screens (but it still does it a little bit, and the thing that it fixes never bothers me in the first place).

I think it largely comes down to whether you have the sort of brain that can't help but notice reflections. Mine is kind of the opposite and automatically tunes them out unless it's just a super bad situation (like the screen is dark and there's a bright light being reflected in it).

People talk about seeing their face constantly, but this is only really the case for me if the screen is completely black (or otherwise really dark).

edit: It probably makes the biggest difference if you're playing with the brightness turned down for battery reasons, but I'll rarely need to use it unplugged for long enough to need to save battery like that.

It actually ran and played like silk once set up... Other than having to leave it on the choose character screen for 2-3 minutes at the start of each session for it to all load properly. Maybe you didn't have the launch option that pointed battlenet to your blizzard folder?

I preferred it on my deck to my desktop.

Edit: also low graphic settings and limiting the FPS and refresh rate with the deck menu. Before that it was a bit crashy)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SavageMessiah posted:

Gah, just got mine on thursday and the left trackpad has already stopped working completely. It's not really stopping me from playing most things but it's pretty frustrating to have something break so quickly. I opened a ticket with steam support hopefully there's some sort of fix that doesn't involve RMA.

Did you try reimaging the OS? Deck controls can be wonky and partially stop working because of software hiccups.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SavageMessiah posted:

Really basic and dumb question, but is the Deck currently online? Those trackpads can act weirdly or disable when you're offline.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Really basic and dumb question, but is the Deck currently online? Those trackpads can act weirdly or disable when you're offline.

I'm online.

Fuzz posted:

Did you try reimaging the OS? Deck controls can be wonky and partially stop working because of software hiccups.

Do you mean doing a factory reset or something else?

EDIT: Also why the gently caress would being online affect whether the controls work or not, come on valve :psyduck:

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 26, 2023

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

jokes posted:

Well, they didn’t stay successful

Remember hitclips which were cartridge loaded mp3 players that… didn’t play an entire mp3 lol

Dude you just sent me on a complete nostalgia trip. My parents got me a little speaker and a few of the cartridges for Christmas one year. It’s crazy that within a few years of that I had a Creative Labs MP3 player that was nothing but a USB key with a battery attached. Still my favorite MP3 player I ever had (probably, again, for nostalgia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

SavageMessiah posted:

EDIT: Also why the gently caress would being online affect whether the controls work or not, come on valve :psyduck:

On Desktop Mode, controller emulation (touchpads) are run through the Steam app.

If you don't have the Steam App open while in desktop mode, the touchpads wont do their regular thing.