Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's moot and internet archive was always hosed because you're not able to just scan a book and let someone see it as a library.

Ebook library licenses are insanely expensive, like $100+ per copy for something you can get in hardback for $22. They tend to be limited in duration, like only 2 years, and also the Library pays extra whenever anyone checks it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here's some doomsday economics for you guys. I got my mail and saw my quarterly Medicare summary. I went in at the end of last year at the recommendation of my physician to get a 1cm skin tag sliced off. This whole process took about 20 minutes start-to-finish after checking in, including waiting on the doctor to show up and waiting on them to prep for the removal.

You can see how much the hospital charges private health insurance, and how much less it costs when it's handled by government healthcare.

No surprise at all the bloodsuckers running private insurance and for-profit hospitals are fighting so hard against M4A.

collective bargaining in action
what amazes me is that the people inside the Medicaid/Medicare systems are actually telling the providers to go gently caress themselves, so to speak, instead of just writing blank checks with our money

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

im pretty sure regular insurance has the exact same thing except instead of "medicare approved amount" it says "insurer approved amount"

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Got in one little spill and my mom got scared.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

cool av posted:

im pretty sure regular insurance has the exact same thing except instead of "medicare approved amount" it says "insurer approved amount"

yep

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

cool av posted:

yeah

Apr 7, 2003

Most private insurance business today is Admin Services Only, where the insurer pays all the claims that come in for the month at $X and send a bill to the policy holder for $X + an admin fee. The value add is the provider network + negotiated rates.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bar Ran Dun posted:

oooo a commercial real estate losses mention. was wondering when that would finally bubble up.

About drat time! I feel like I remember that commercial real estate were not under the same mortgage backed securities rules that residential mortagages were under?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’ll still run it by our lawyer. Because he can’t legally represent us in court in California, his fees were upfront and one time only. He’s not in it for extra cash monies.

wait, what?

you didn't use a California lawyer AND it wasn't on contigency?

edit: nm, saw it was small claims ct. & only a few hundo.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

FlapYoJacks posted:

I’ll still run it by our lawyer. Because he can’t legally represent us in court in California, his fees were upfront and one time only. He’s not in it for extra cash monies.

If you were getting advice from someone who can't represent you in the relevant jurisdiction, just pay the 300 and consider yourself lucky.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

normal economy and country

https://twitter.com/BobTheeGuy/status/1640136261418582016/photo/1

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pnumoman posted:

If you were getting advice from someone who can't represent you in the relevant jurisdiction, just pay the 300 and consider yourself lucky.

That’s not what I said. In small claims court in California you must represent yourself.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
gently caress that, go with the five finger discount.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/business/status/1639643312566198273

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/tech-layoffs-scramble-life-in-remote-work-zoom-towns-3891845?utm_source=ourcommunitynow&utm_medium=web

Apr 7, 2003

I have a very hard time believing that San Franciscans moved en masse to Bumblefuck ND during the pandemic

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
I hope the locals who were priced out by these assholes moving in and causing rents to get jacked up are feelin smug about them losing their jobs because I probably would be

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wow now they can find out what it's like to get laid off when the plant closes or mine shuts down and your area is devasted for decades.

Or wait these people can just get hired somewhere else. Cry me a river

Over a thousand people got laid off in Belvidere IL (next to Rockford) last month, the news didn't give the slightest poo poo

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Mar 27, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

Shipon posted:

I hope the locals who were priced out by these assholes moving in and causing rents to get jacked up are feelin smug about them losing their jobs because I probably would be

I think the entire narrative that people left cities en masse during the pandemic was manufactured.

https://archive.curbed.com/2020/7/13/21319909/coronavirus-urban-exodus-cities-moving-suburbs

Apr 7, 2003

That story isn't about pandemic exodus workers fwiw, it's about people who live in those places to begin with getting hired during the tech pandemic hiring rush and getting laid off.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I think the entire narrative that people left cities en masse during the pandemic was manufactured.

https://archive.curbed.com/2020/7/13/21319909/coronavirus-urban-exodus-cities-moving-suburbs

several mid-sized cities experienced population decline from 2020

i think it was mostly the west coast though

Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

several mid-sized cities experienced population decline from 2020

Those were all cities that had a pattern of decline already

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Those were all cities that had a pattern of decline already

this is not true. portland, sf, and seattle were gaining population until then.

Apr 7, 2003

I do not believe for a single loving second that a DINK couple pulling in $300K+ a year in SF decided to move to Bozeman Montana, where they could spend that money at Walmart and nowhere else.

Apr 7, 2003

anime was right posted:

this is not true. portland, sf, and seattle were gaining population until then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_statistical_area

Those are estimates, which are worth exactly what you paid for them. Allegheny County here was estimated to have lost over 100K residents 2018-2020 and when the census actually went through, whoops, we actually gained 80K or so.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I do not believe for a single loving second that a DINK couple pulling in $300K+ a year in SF decided to move to Bozeman Montana, where they could spend that money at Walmart and nowhere else.

bozeman? no way dude i absolutely believe a six figgy income household would move there because they think it's hip and authentic and they're trying to feel something with their soulless tech jobs

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
bozeman montanas population spiked at around 200% of its growing rate. it happened, it just did not happen at a rate that is like "suddenly everyone moved everywhere else." it was in the ranges of like .5% of the population loss for these job-heavy cities over 2-3 years. same deal with bend. it grew much faster than its previous rate.

the stats are true but the narrative absolutely overblows the change.

Apr 7, 2003

I do not believe it for a single loving minute and I'll happily wait until we see census numbers in seven years. There's no point in making six figures in the middle of nowhere when your outlets are The Pickle Barrel and Walmart.

Apr 7, 2003

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, friend of mine growing up got a well-paying engineering job in Philadelphia. Moved back to where we grew up to "build his dream house". Dude sold that fucker and went back to the Philly suburbs in less than two years.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I do not believe it for a single loving minute and I'll happily wait until we see census numbers in seven years. There's no point in making six figures in the middle of nowhere when your outlets are The Pickle Barrel and Walmart.

these sources are directly from the census bureau

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

lol its a whole thing

Apr 7, 2003

I don't believe it for a single minute.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

I grew up in the middle of nowhere, friend of mine growing up got a well-paying engineering job in Philadelphia. Moved back to where we grew up to "build his dream house". Dude sold that fucker and went back to the Philly suburbs in less than two years.
this is why people call philly reddit, everyone who talks about philly loves humblebragging about it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Housing in Bozeman is insanely expensive and even was before the pandemic kicker spike somehow, you can still fly to other places, and Bozeman is cool as hell and the kind of people would do that have expensive outdoor hobbies.

You can buy $10k carbon bikes at any bike shop in Bozeman, just like any town.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Appeal Flap. gently caress this lady

absolutely. hes only halfway through the heroes journey

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

We're all well aware of the fact that you cannot consider others' points of view or preferences lol

anime was right posted:

bozeman montanas population spiked at around 200% of its growing rate. it happened, it just did not happen at a rate that is like "suddenly everyone moved everywhere else." it was in the ranges of like .5% of the population loss for these job-heavy cities over 2-3 years. same deal with bend. it grew much faster than its previous rate.

the stats are true but the narrative absolutely overblows the change.

It's absolutely happening but agreed, it's a basis point increase of the rate (mattyglesias oh you mean percentage??) not like a doubling of population

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
literally every small mountain town in america is currently being "gentrified"

Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

We're all well aware of the fact that you cannot consider others' points of view or preferences lol

The entire "people are fleeing cities for rural areas because of the pandemic" narrative was based on real estate searches, not on actual sales. It was an entirely astroturfed narrative.

Apr 7, 2003

"My wife and I make $300K a year in San Francisco. We're moving to rural Montana to enjoy methamphetamines and despair."

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I'm an rear end in a top hat who moved from a Seattle suburb to a mountain in eastern Washington because my job was remote anyway and COL is cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
bozeman is a vacation town, lol if you think its full of meth