Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What does the subscription fee get you? The opportunity to buy promoted tweets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Fortunate Bird posted:

Unpopular opinion but I honestly think people are going to be predicting the death of twitter (for any definition of "death") for eternity while slowly proving elon right that you can just fire 90% of staff and start charging money to use the thing. The fact is that the liberals that are still there are never going to leave. The idea to make the blue checkmark possible to hide is genius. Half of the people that claim to hate twitter/musk will probably pay the $10 a month because clearly twitter is a valuable business platform if they still are using it despite being in opposition to their values. They are still using it because they want the audience it provides. But increasingly they're going to find their audience shrinking as their non paying accounts are deprioritized. Some of the competing liberal accounts will start forking over the cash, and they'll have pressure to do the same or just slowly lose their audience while republican's and russian bots and the democrats willing to support musk take over.

It's possible that everyone has underestimated the Twitter userbase's tolerance for getting hosed, yeah. But the process you're describing means the audience that you can get promoted to is also shrinking. What good is your $10 when your tweets are only getting seen by republicans and bots even after you pay?

Also it's not just $10, someone posted upthread that Musk is looking for $1000 a month and up for large organizations. Do you think he can find ~80,000 takers to cover the ~$1 billion yearly debt payments? Especially when there are other social media services that aren't charging that? Moving an audience is hard but getting gouged is also hard and you can probably pay someone to install and manage a Mastodon instance for $1000 a month

I AM GRANDO posted:

What does the subscription fee get you? The opportunity to buy promoted tweets?

The subscription fee supposedly gets you priority in The Algorithm, so you will appear in timelines and search results more often and to more people. Behind Musk's own tweets and anyone he chooses to personally bless, of course

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fortunate Bird posted:

Unpopular opinion but I honestly think people are going to be predicting the death of twitter (for any definition of "death") for eternity while slowly proving elon right that you can just fire 90% of staff and start charging money to use the thing. The fact is that the liberals that are still there are never going to leave. The idea to make the blue checkmark possible to hide is genius. Half of the people that claim to hate twitter/musk will probably pay the $10 a month because clearly twitter is a valuable business platform if they still are using it despite being in opposition to their values. They are still using it because they want the audience it provides. But increasingly they're going to find their audience shrinking as their non paying accounts are deprioritized. Some of the competing liberal accounts will start forking over the cash, and they'll have pressure to do the same or just slowly lose their audience while republican's and russian bots and the democrats willing to support musk take over.

:10bux: is just for the normies who want to get made fun of for whatever reason. Every actual org using Twitter for any sort of outreach appears to be getting taken to the cleaners if they want to stick around, to the point that even the ones that want to have their ads and tweets show up alongside the 1488 Coffee Co's Victims of Communism blend aren't going to be able to.

It's not some unique or special thing to have a conservative or more specifically Libertarian take over an existing thing that is mostly sort of working and then destroy it because they can maintain organizations as well as they can build them. Twitter has already gotten significantly worse, slower, and less reliable since the great firing as predicted, and it's only going to get worse. This will follow the same arc as Sears and various city councils only all the numbers have an extra 4-5 zeroes on them.

The center-right cohort of liberals who you are theorycrafting will keep it going because of nth dimensional chess will be gone once the third party tools that they use to make the site workable for them are gone

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Fortunate Bird posted:

what motivates you to pin this on The Liberals instead of the chuds and trolls that elon is deliberately courting and protecting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twitter will probably die sooner than we think, because it's hemorrhaging money and at some point this year Elon has to pay a $1 billion debt service payment, and I don't see how he does that without dipping into his own fortune. It's sure as hell not going to come from Twitter.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Twitter will probably die sooner than we think, because it's hemorrhaging money and at some point this year Elon has to pay a $1 billion debt service payment, and I don't see how he does that without dipping into his own fortune. It's sure as hell not going to come from Twitter.

Pretty much this, especially with Trump running imo eventually some tweet/verification/whatever fuckery will happen on such a level that even more brands will leave. The Twitter name itself will never die but it'll end up being bought by some other company or whatever and become like a google hangouts or 'ello or countless other internet communication thing that end up kind of being around for awhile but no one uses.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 26, 2023

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It seems like he's desperate enough to own the libs to dip in to his own fortune in order to try to show that his big brained genius didn't burn the company to the ground.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's a difference between alive and thriving. It will take relatively few resources to keep Twitter alive. The problem is loss of relevance which is what murders most social media. At the moment Twitter has no real competition and is integrated into enough stuff that it isn't going to be easily dropped, but simply existing will only work for as long as nobody offers you an actual alternative and a large portion of Twitter's inertia is the fact that there isn't a real other place to go.

Once something breaks that changes that, either Twitter itself or a competitor showing up, it would be incredibly easy for Twitter to become a has-bin and Elon hasn't done a single thing to make it appealing for people to actually stay unless you are a literal Nazi. It won't be easy for Twitter to die as in "it shuts off suddenly" but it would be incredibly easy for it to slowly lose all meaningful relevance until someone buys it for a relatively small amount just to own the title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kith posted:

what motivates you to pin this on The Liberals instead of the chuds and trolls that elon is deliberately courting and protecting

Something to be said about how the conservatives always only bedgrudgingly use their alternative hate sites because they don't actually like not having liberals to trigger. (probably also because they inevitably start devouring each other left to their own devices, the ol' Helldump cycle)

Also thing is about social media is that like so many other online services- MySpace, Skype, probably a bunch of others I forgot- is that they can seem invincible no matter how much bullshit they make their users put up with, right up until a viable alternative appears which has even just slightly less bullshit, and then most of their userbase almost immediately jumps ship.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
haha
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1640013725514997760

"Zoë Schiffer, the managing editor of Platformer, tweeted Saturday that Musk told staff Twitter had been through a period of radical but necessary change because it'd been "about 4 months away from running out of money. Now, he says, the financial incentives of employees should align with the company.""

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-twitter-worth-less-than-half-what-he-paid-2023-3

OgNar fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2023

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

That's $22 billion in six months!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Whoa, can we get a grandmaster economist in here to tell us if that's good or not?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t worry, he also said it’ll rebound to $250 billion before too long

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

haveblue posted:

Don’t worry, he also said it’ll rebound to $250 billion before too long
Not that it's a huge surprise but he's living in his own fantasy

Nobody wants to pay for Twitter. Full stop. Unless you are a deranged Musk sycophant and those people already bought it, which is a few thousand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Mercury_Storm posted:

Whoa, can we get a grandmaster economist in here to tell us if that's good or not?

It's after 6pm so I think they're all too hammered by now to reply, but I asked the ghost of Ayn Rand and got two big thumbs up so things are really looking up for ol Musky

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'm a grandmaster economist and I'll tell you that other companies with valuations ~$250b are Coca-Cola, Pfizer, and Oracle. Twitter is not these things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Allegedly Twitter's source code got leaked online

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Allegedly Twitter's source code got leaked online

According to the Boston Globe it was on GitHub and "it appeared to have been public for at least several months"

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Fortunate Bird posted:

Basically this, yeah. The loser of the Twitter buyout are the liberals. Their opposition was entirely performative. Eventually the advertisers who left will return because as it turns out everybody wants the slop.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 27, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Basically this, yeah. The loser of the Twitter buyout are the liberals. Their opposition was entirely performative.

:wrong: they're still chugging away like normal on it while also being Formally Opposed which is exactly what they want and Musk is out enough money to buy 30 mansions for every homeless person except it all went to people almost but not exactly like Musk. We're all the losers because we live in a country/time when this sort of thing is permitted and encouraged to happen. Social media!

Twitter's gonna keep chugging along, shrinking and with great instability, until Musk is coup'd and responds by redirecting it to an Error 42069 site with a screaming Quizno's Spongmonkey

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1640530510253535235?s=20

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Wait, are they making it that you have to subscribe to vote in any poll?

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

hadji murad posted:

Wait, are they making it that you have to subscribe to vote in any poll?

The worlds wealthiest man is still incredibly salty about the poll that told him to quit
:elon: :elon:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Wait, so then what's the point of being able to hide your blue check? Anyone who shows up in the "for you tag" is a blue check haver so everyone will know they have one if they're seen there wether they're hiding it or not.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, so then what's the point of being able to hide your blue check? Anyone who shows up in the "for you tag" is a blue check haver so everyone will know they have one is they're seen there wether they're hiding it or not.

Remember that literally anyone who would bring this up to Elon Musk has been fired.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ADVANCED AI BOT SWARMS

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Letting users hide the blue check and then giving a way to tell anyway. Brilliant.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Harold Fjord posted:

Letting users hide the blue check and then giving a way to tell anyway. Brilliant.

Should of let people subscribe more than once, to get more ticks, so everyone can tell exactly how lame someone is.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dr_rat posted:

Should of let people subscribe more than once, to get more ticks, so everyone can tell exactly how lame someone is.

Should have let people buy blue checks for their enemies

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/SmoothDunk/status/1639073021607522305?s=20

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

haveblue posted:

Should have let people buy blue checks for their enemies

Pay five dollars to give someone a new avatar for a day.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

dr_rat posted:

When Musk debuted Twitter Blue, Tumblr had a joke campaign that let you add a blue checkmark to your account for $8, and you could buy multiple ones so you could have ten checkmarks following your name.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also thing is about social media is that like so many other online services- MySpace, Skype, probably a bunch of others I forgot- is that they can seem invincible no matter how much bullshit they make their users put up with, right up until a viable alternative appears which has even just slightly less bullshit, and then most of their userbase almost immediately jumps ship.

The other thing about them is that they tend to just kinda linger indefinitely with a fraction of their former userbase once an alternative makes itself present and populated - MySpace users jumping to Facebook, Livejournal to Tumblr, etc. The 'end state' for Twitter is probably being sold for relative pennies to a Saudi org or something, like Livejournal was to a Russian group, where it'll continue to exist and be sorta functional but without the omnipresence it has today.

I feel like I wouldn't be surprised if some media conglomerate(s) are fast at work standing up their own twitter-esque social media (or fund one of the smaller companies that already have working prototypes/server instances), especially with how increasingly unreliable Twitter itself will be for advertisers, reporters, engagement/clicks, etc.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

30 followers? How about zero lmao:

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1640783422435065857

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1641443068795850753?s=20

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...isn't that how twitter always worked? There was never any revenue share, you can't be a professional tweeter the way you can be a professional youtuber

I guess he's mad because he thought being favored by musk would come with some kind of perks, lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

haveblue posted:

...isn't that how twitter always worked? There was never any revenue share, you can't be a professional tweeter the way you can be a professional youtuber

I guess he's mad because he thought being favored by musk would come with some kind of perks, lol

Yeah I was going to say, uh, to answer Catturd's question at the end regarding how Twitter works, yes, it definitely does seem like they missed a lot.

People are so loving stupid, like it's literally you pay $8, you get a blue check and you get boosted a bit by Twitter's algorithm, it's not even like anything was overpromised about what it does!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IT BEGINS

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

haveblue posted:

Didn’t Musk once float the idea that there would be ad-sharing revenue for ads in the replies of popular tweets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There are professional Twitter people, they just either shill products that pay them for endorsements or shill a patreon/kofi/etc to pay the bills.

Unfortunately Catturd isn't exactly someone anyone wants actively advertising their products.