Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I once had a friend who owed me some money, but instead of actually paying me the money back he decided to surprise gift me his copy of Steel Battalion, complete with that ridiculous gigantic controller. Me, an idiot, sympathized with his plight and decided to accept this novelty video game as a valid substitute to actual money.

I think I played it once or twice before I threw it in the back of a storage closet and never touched it again.

you could set up a 4 player LAN with 4 xboxes and 4 copies of the game.

i had a friend who bought 4 xboxes and 4 controllers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its a very mediocre game that is a very fun time because of the controller and the big stompy mechs.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

you could set up a 4 player LAN with 4 xboxes and 4 copies of the game.

i had a friend who bought 4 xboxes and 4 controllers

Whoa! And I thought I was extravagant for getting four GameCube controllers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Whoa! And I thought I was extravagant for getting four GameCube controllers.

it was a fantasic setup, dude had 4 32" CRTs and we'd just wreck each other up

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Its a very mediocre game that is a very fun time because of the controller and the big stompy mechs.

Oh yeah no the game is kinda poo poo, the experience of using this giant fuckoff controller, a giant fuckoff mech, and loving up your buddies in LAN play though gives my brain good chemicals.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

I just wish someone would make a VR version of it. Something like VTOL VR but for Mechs.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

As cool as the SB controller was, I found the game itself to be an extremely rough and clunky affair. I'm sure multiplayer made it more enjoyable though.

It also made me think of all the semi-antique video game hardware I've owned over the years that would be serious nostalgia bait today if I would have had the foresight to keep any of it.

A.o.D. posted:

How much money? That controller is exceptionally cool.

Not much, I think he just wanted an excuse to unload it on me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Steel Battalion was absolutely made because someone got an idea for a badass controller and was like "we need a game to use it with". If only the controller was compatible with Armored Core or another good mech game :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Handsome Ralph posted:

I just wish someone would make a VR version of it. Something like VTOL VR but for Mechs.

Same!!! I was keeping my eye on one, but it was MP only and didnt catch on, I believe it ended up shutting down.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

If only the controller was compatible with Armored Core or another good mech game :(

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mechwarrior5/comments/o3xjtd/steel_battalion_controller_mapping_for_mw5/

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

orange juche posted:

Steel Battalion was absolutely made because someone got an idea for a badass controller and was like "we need a game to use it with". If only the controller was compatible with Armored Core or another good mech game :(

oh 100% but the controller was truly badass fwiw

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

orange juche posted:

Seems like the kind of thing that was made for a high end arcade cabinet but then that was cancelled ("kids will destroy this controller in days and who wants to pay to fix it?") so they pivoted

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I always wondered if they ran out of money developing that controller and only had pocket change left when it came to developing the actual game.

I can see why people liked it, but that hardcore sim end of the spectrum was never my thing. Titanfall 2 is more my jam when it comes to mech games.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
Anyone else try out the Diablo 4 beta? I was underwhelmed with it. It feels like Diablo Immortal and that's not a compliment. I like the art style although I didn't mind Diablo 3's. I do feel like they are trying to interject too much story, and most of it is uninteresting. I felt like Diablo 1 and 2 worked because there was plenty of action in between the story where here it seems to get in the way. Remember in Diablo 3 where Azmodan pops up to annoy you in the snowy fields? A system for that already exists in the first chapter (blood petal visions) And the game feels slow. Maybe the horse helps out.

Finished all the main story quests and I like where the story is going but it's like they are just lifting the story from Diablo 2 and 3 here. You are always behind the action like in Diablo 2, even Lorath ditches your rear end to go ahead after meeting him. And there is even a replacement for Leah. I think we are a nephalim again as well. The Bloodied Wolf is the only interesting part of the story and I think everyone can figure out who that is.

Will have to wait and see how the end game is because that is 90% of the Diablo experience anyway. And after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I would worry about it. Anyway 5/10 could be worse but there is a lot to be desired I think. End game will make or break it.

Now if you are looking for a fun game, check out Mighty Doom on mobile. You get to be the Mini Slayer! It's a weird little bullet hell game that is great for killing time. And demons.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure over the 2 weekends I played the best (Sorcerer) and worst (Barbarian) classes available. That being said, I had a good enough time. I remember release D3 and the D3 of today are barely the same game, so for better or worse I'm giving them some benefit of the doubt.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I didn't gently caress with the betas, but I'm excited for the game. Figure I will get it a week or two after launch, that way the servers have some time to not be hosed.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I played it to max level on one character last weekend. It had lots of good points and lots of stuff that worry me. Without going into super nerd specifics, the introduction of MMO/battlepass/live game mechanics are mainly to the game’s detriment. Also, why am I picking berries now

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I've never played any Diablo game, is it too late to start with a new one

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

GD_American posted:

I've never played any Diablo game, is it too late to start with a new one

nope

if you have a switch then diablo 3 is extremely good on it

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wife and I played the beta together yesterday, we enjoyed it. Biggest issue was the stuttering that randomly happened while playing.

Also echoing that the Switch version of Diablo 3 is the shits.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys Yakuza 0 felt way too close to real life Japan.

This was me every loving Don Quijote because I'm a huge loser:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

Wife and I played the beta together yesterday, we enjoyed it. Biggest issue was the stuttering that randomly happened while playing.

Also echoing that the Switch version of Diablo 3 is the shits.

It is the perfect Switch game. The only one I think deserves that title.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Three more weeks then Advance Wars can share that title.

shut up, I've been dying to play it since they announced it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Wrong Theory posted:

Anyone else try out the Diablo 4 beta? I was underwhelmed with it. It feels like Diablo Immortal and that's not a compliment. I like the art style although I didn't mind Diablo 3's. I do feel like they are trying to interject too much story, and most of it is uninteresting. I felt like Diablo 1 and 2 worked because there was plenty of action in between the story where here it seems to get in the way. Remember in Diablo 3 where Azmodan pops up to annoy you in the snowy fields? A system for that already exists in the first chapter (blood petal visions) And the game feels slow. Maybe the horse helps out.

Finished all the main story quests and I like where the story is going but it's like they are just lifting the story from Diablo 2 and 3 here. You are always behind the action like in Diablo 2, even Lorath ditches your rear end to go ahead after meeting him. And there is even a replacement for Leah. I think we are a nephalim again as well. The Bloodied Wolf is the only interesting part of the story and I think everyone can figure out who that is.

Will have to wait and see how the end game is because that is 90% of the Diablo experience anyway. And after the Diablo Immortal fiasco I would worry about it. Anyway 5/10 could be worse but there is a lot to be desired I think. End game will make or break it.

Now if you are looking for a fun game, check out Mighty Doom on mobile. You get to be the Mini Slayer! It's a weird little bullet hell game that is great for killing time. And demons.

I just made an effortpost about D4 beta over in VG forum D4 main thread. tl;dr game will probably be good in a year, right now just 'ok I guess'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I know blizzard got bagged hard over war3 reforged, but to add my two cents:

The game is unplayable. I experienced the odd crash here and there - annoying, but nothing major - until I got up to the night elves frozen throne campaign where one mission in particular was so unstable that it simply couldn't be finished. A little googling reveals that it's a known issue, and due to the way the game runs its apparently unavoidable.

Giving you the option of playing the "classic" game, which by the way for some bizarre reason doesn't share saves with the reformed mode, so enjoy starting over, or not being able to play a game they're still charging top dollar for.

Very, very poor.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

stardew valley

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BotW is right there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CainFortea posted:

BotW is right there.

its good on wii-u too but yeah def one of the top 3 games on switch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Wasabi the J posted:

Guys Yakuza 0 felt way too close to real life Japan.

This was me every loving Don Quijote because I'm a huge loser:

im playin inshin now and god drat do i love yakuza games

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

stardew valley

Sorry I keep trying to install the mod that lets me gently caress the mayor but it won’t happen???

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’d go Mario Odyssey, Tetris 99, & Inside as my top 3.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I know blizzard got bagged hard over war3 reforged, but to add my two cents:

The game is unplayable. I experienced the odd crash here and there - annoying, but nothing major - until I got up to the night elves frozen throne campaign where one mission in particular was so unstable that it simply couldn't be finished. A little googling reveals that it's a known issue, and due to the way the game runs its apparently unavoidable.

Giving you the option of playing the "classic" game, which by the way for some bizarre reason doesn't share saves with the reformed mode, so enjoy starting over, or not being able to play a game they're still charging top dollar for.

Very, very poor.

Yeah, it’s frustrating how with antique computers Blizzard & Westwood routinely cranked out top tier RTS games and somehow we’ve totally lost that ability. Especially Warcraft 3 with a titanic modding community, how hard would it be to put together a team of enthusiasts with a budget from your cash hoard and make a good sequel. Same with you, Valve.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

stardew valley

Very chill game especially when bingeing king of the hill.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, it’s frustrating how with antique computers Blizzard & Westwood routinely cranked out top tier RTS games and somehow we’ve totally lost that ability.

The C&C Remaster at least, was well worth the money. I don't think it really did anything new, but it bundled it all together and was very enjoyable. Bizarrely long loadtimes, though.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The C&C Remaster at least, was well worth the money. I don't think it really did anything new, but it bundled it all together and was very enjoyable. Bizarrely long loadtimes, though.

Oh nice! I did have fun with the C&C mobile game, I’m sure it’s pay to win competitively but I enjoyed the classic GDI vs NOD theme & classic units, and how quick the games were with a variety of workable strategies.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I dropped 150 dollarydoos on the collectors edition. Worth every penny.

I'm just holding out hope they give RA2/TS the same treatment.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

150? What, does it include a giant Obelisk?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Handsome Ralph posted:

RA2 is going to be an interesting beast. I tried running my own copy recently and while it actually still loads relatively well, it runs like rear end.

However, I realized that this is in fact not the game's fault, because RA2 has no idea what a multicore processor is, so it was looking at one core of my i5 and going "this is baby poo poo compared to the Pentium 4s I'm built for, get out of here".

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It was a really outstanding remaster. Something for everyone in there, and they went above and beyond by putting out a massive stash of production footage and b-roll. I hope Tiberian Sun and RA2 get the same treatment eventually but it’s a shame they didn’t get started right away since the team has long since dispersed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Last of Us is out on PC and it has to be one of the best-looking games I can remember playing. Still just as good as the first time I played it too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

150? What, does it include a giant Obelisk?

Not a giant one, just a small model. But the Mammoth Tank diecast model is pretty cool.

Redeye Flight posted:

RA2 is going to be an interesting beast. I tried running my own copy recently and while it actually still loads relatively well, it runs like rear end.

However, I realized that this is in fact not the game's fault, because RA2 has no idea what a multicore processor is, so it was looking at one core of my i5 and going "this is baby poo poo compared to the Pentium 4s I'm built for, get out of here".

Yep. It's frustrating and I'm hopeful EA does the needful. Not holding my breath though.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Red Alert 2 might be my favorite but I have a huge soft spot for TS too.