Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Add Slime Rancher to that list if you haven't

Anyone following Slime Rancher 2 in early access? How is it coming along?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Genpei Turtle posted:

Not sure if it quite qualifies but a big part of the combat in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is abusing the physics engine to knock enemies into spikes, kick them off ledges, etc.

Ah I should've mentioned Dark Messiah as well, what a game.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Oenis posted:

Stardew Valley was my immediate first recommendation. But I guess my OP was too long, I already mentioned she doesn't like pixel art (or anime for that matter. She's a tough customer). But I've got the Stardew Valley-likes such as Dinkum and Coral Island on my radar, although they're still in early access and I think they'll be bigger hits once they get to 1.0 and subsequently get their Switch release.

Maybe one other Stardew like to try is Moonglow Bay? Maybe on your list already, but Stardew but only fishing. It is low poly though, which she might not like if she doesn’t like pixel art.

Slothful really hit a lot of the top ones, but just to brainstorm (my gf had similar preferences but she’s slowly gotten a bit more general in interests, these are ones she liked earlier on):

Good Job! I think would actually maybe be pretty good on the switch? It’s like light action puzzle game with fun little environmental Easter eggs and coop.

Sexy Brutale I think could be a pretty good puzzle game to play together or solo. Its puzzles are never too hard, and it’s super forgiving of mistakes (everything just resets if you fail).

We Were Here and it’s sequels are ok coop puzzle games, though they sort of pale in comparison to stuff like Portal 2 or It Takes Two.

Moving Out, also on switch, I found to be a much less stressful and more fun take on an Overcooked style game.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Mutazione, A Night in the Woods and Inside are also very good games that don’t require masterful controller abilities.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I am bored lately and am looking for two specific recommendations to scratch some itches I've been having:

a. is there any good tank or mech combat game with some kind of respawning/deathmatch mode? Started playing Planetside again solely to drive Lightnings, and it's fun, but I spend a lot of time not in a tank. I know like, World of Tanks exists, but from what I played of it a few years ago it's round-based - what I really want is essentially an armor deathmatch. Mechs are good too - I've also played a lot of MWO, but again, I don't want to get downed and then have to start a new round, I wanna rack up kills with a team.

b. lately I really want to play a boomer shooter with roguelike systems. I started playing Strafe again after playing a ton of it a few years ago, but I think I've gotten my fill of it - its roguelike side is pretty shallow though. I've also played BPM, which is super fun, but the rhythm game on top of it isn't what I always want (and the weapon selection is a little limited).

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Chas McGill posted:

Looking for games with physics-based melee combat, preferably single player.
I've played Exanima, Die by the Sword, M&B (I guess you hit harder if you're moving faster?), Hellish Quart.

I bought We Who Are About to Die recently on sale and I'm having a lot of fun. Combat takes a while to get used to, but it's very well integrated with the physics engine. You can kick/shield bash people into traps and throw your weapon (any weapon!) by letting go of it mid-swing.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

death cob for cutie posted:

I am bored lately and am looking for two specific recommendations to scratch some itches I've been having:

b. lately I really want to play a boomer shooter with roguelike systems. I started playing Strafe again after playing a ton of it a few years ago, but I think I've gotten my fill of it - its roguelike side is pretty shallow though. I've also played BPM, which is super fun, but the rhythm game on top of it isn't what I always want (and the weapon selection is a little limited).

I haven't had a chance to play it myself but I've seen gameplay of Void Bastards which seems to fill in this kind of exact situation. Off the top of my head I've also played Ziggurat (liked it), Eldritch (more immersive sim than straight boomer shooter, still roguelike elements, but this was good), Barony (more classic roguelike than shooter, but still an FPS POV, its still on my wishlist). There's one more that I can't remember but it's Lovecraft inspired, roguelike, and a straight up boomer shoot with a papercraft aesthetic. I'll try to find it here on my lunch if somebody doesn't beat me to it

E: the game I was thinking of was Forgive me Father, which isn't a roguelike I'm pretty sure. Nevermind! Instead, I recommend Prey: Mooncrash because I will always recommend Prey: Mooncrash :hai:

bawk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 22, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ensign Expendable posted:

I bought We Who Are About to Die recently on sale and I'm having a lot of fun. Combat takes a while to get used to, but it's very well integrated with the physics engine. You can kick/shield bash people into traps and throw your weapon (any weapon!) by letting go of it mid-swing.

This looks great, gonna try it, thanks.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Immortal Redneck, maybe?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Nightmare Reaper is exactly a boomer shooter roguelike.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Hullo thread.

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The most recent game that played with my expectations like that was probably PARANORMASIGHT: The Seven Mysteries of Honjo, but the way it played with it was more in the presentation than anything really. The presentation did really put me on edge though. It's not terribly long but it is a good freaky time.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo thread.

Hotline Miami and its sequel are some of my all-time favourites and I'd really, really like to play more of the same. Games that mess with your head, subvert video game conventions in clever ways, and have stunning plot twists. I have played Katana Zero and loved it - more of the same would be great!

Currently I've gone directly to looking through Devolver's website, who published both games, and most of them have some clever twist but so far none I've seen capture the same vibe. Maybe ultraviolence is a key element?

Also I do realise the irony in asking for recommendations for media that has plot twists when most of the impact of a good plot twist is not realising there's going to be one, but hey.

try SIGNALIS

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo thread.

13 Sentinels has the best video game plot I have ever experienced.
Don't let the anime aesthetic fool you.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ta muchly, folks. I'll check those out

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo thread.

It's grown an irritating fandom over the years but believe it or not Undertale is kind of the other side of that coin. Or maybe exactly the same side depending on how you play it. Anyway, it's a good game on its own merits. The free demo is still available so give that a try and decide if you want more. It has it's own sense of humor and you'll either enjoy it or you won't.

Edit: Outer Wilds (NOT Outer Worlds) is another good one though not really violent. It's less the game loving with you and more "what the hell is going ON here!?" during the first hour or so. Then once you realize what's going on the game gets pretty fun as you try to work within your situation. Another one of those hard to talk about "ooo I can't tell you guess you'll just have to try it an see" games. But almost everyone who's tried it has enjoyed it a lot.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 25, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

McCracAttack posted:

It's grown an irritating fandom over the years but believe it or not Undertale is kind of the other side of that coin. Or maybe exactly the same side depending on how you play it. Anyway, it's a good game on its own merits. The free demo is still available so give that a try and decide if you want more. It has it's own sense of humor and you'll either enjoy it or you won't.

Edit: Outer Wilds (NOT Outer Worlds) is another good one though not really violent. It's less the game loving with you and more "what the hell is going ON here!?" during the first hour or so. Then once you realize what's going on the game gets pretty fun as you try to work within your situation. Another one of those hard to talk about "ooo I can't tell you guess you'll just have to try it an see" games. But almost everyone who's tried it has enjoyed it a lot.

Appreciated, though I've played those two (Outer Worlds as well, as it happens). Undertale I set out to dislike and I did until, having finished my initial playthrough, I watched a genocide run of it and one line from Flowey just really struck home how actually really clever the game is. I can't remember what it was, but he directly referenced a potential audience that would be watching the recording of the playthrough (ie me, watching the playthrough). So, yeah, long story short, Undertale is a masterpiece.

Outer Wilds freaked me out. As it turns out, I have weak points at "space is big and scary" and "you're vulnerable and fragile in a dangerous world" and that game hit both of them. Fascinating game, but traumatic.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well, like others have said Nier Automata is in this same genre. Though it takes a long time to "show its hand" and I didn't really enjoy the journey there. But lots of folks do so it's worth a look.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

McCracAttack posted:

Seconding this, I didn't play Undertale for a looong time because I can't stand its fans and they convinced me it was some poo poo meme game, but after trying it myself I can say it's genuinely good and interesting in how it plays with the game mechanics.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really liked Undertale when it stuck to either being genuinely funny or sweet and heartfelt. The meta stuff all felt a bit eye-rolling and not as clever as it thought it was. It thinks it's the first ever RPG to ask revolutionary questions like "what if you could talk to people instead of killing them all" and "aren't stats weird"

It's still a good game overall but that stuff really didn't work for me lol. What if a game played you? What if a boss could quicksave? What if you kiss my belly button from the inside Toby Fox

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Seconding this, I didn't play Undertale for a looong time because I can't stand its fans and they convinced me it was some poo poo meme game, but after trying it myself I can say it's genuinely good and interesting in how it plays with the game mechanics.

im playing disco elysium now which i avoided all this time for the exact same reason. its a much better game than the froth of extremely online discourse led me to believe

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

edit: double post

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Hyperlynx posted:

Hullo thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXofLK5hFQ

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really liked Undertale when it stuck to either being genuinely funny or sweet and heartfelt. The meta stuff all felt a bit eye-rolling and not as clever as it thought it was. It thinks it's the first ever RPG to ask revolutionary questions like "what if you could talk to people instead of killing them all" and "aren't stats weird"

It's still a good game overall but that stuff really didn't work for me lol. What if a game played you? What if a boss could quicksave? What if you kiss my belly button from the inside Toby Fox

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I actually stopped playing The Stanley Parable because I just so happened to be in a bad mood that day and didn't feel like being "clever'd at". Some games are just a very distinct "flavor" and I don't begrudge anyone for not feeling it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I actually stopped playing The Stanley Parable because I just so happened to be in a bad mood that day and didn't feel like being "clever'd at". Some games are just a very distinct "flavor" and I don't begrudge anyone for not feeling it.

Absolutely personal taste isn't it. I actually quite liked The Stanley Parable but then found The Beginner's Guide to be unbearably smug and self-satisfied and couldn't finish it. Wish I could work out exactly what the deciding factor is for me lol because it's certainly not a conscious thing

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Absolutely personal taste isn't it. I actually quite liked The Stanley Parable but then found The Beginner's Guide to be unbearably smug and self-satisfied and couldn't finish it. Wish I could work out exactly what the deciding factor is for me lol because it's certainly not a conscious thing

I played The Beginner's Guide completely blind a couple of months ago, and I'm still trying to work out why anybody liked it. I loved Undertale, I loved The Stanley Parable, but I just don't "get" The Beginner's Guide. It's not really a game, it doesn't seem particularly meaningful, it's not funny, it's not quotable, it's not enjoyable to play, it's not very clever. It had one fairly predictable twist which isn't that interesting anyway. I feel like I've missed something with it because people seem to adore it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

cmndstab posted:

I played The Beginner's Guide completely blind a couple of months ago, and I'm still trying to work out why anybody liked it. I loved Undertale, I loved The Stanley Parable, but I just don't "get" The Beginner's Guide. It's not really a game, it doesn't seem particularly meaningful, it's not funny, it's not quotable, it's not enjoyable to play, it's not very clever. It had one fairly predictable twist which isn't that interesting anyway. I feel like I've missed something with it because people seem to adore it.

Thank god it isn't just me! It's so repellent and unpleasant, which actually made me think for the first half or so that it must be a "real' story because why else would you be telling it?

But no it's just about this rich dickhead angsting about how successful he is. Right, great.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Thank god it isn't just me! It's so repellent and unpleasant, which actually made me think for the first half or so that it must be a "real' story because why else would you be telling it?

But no it's just about this rich dickhead angsting about how successful he is. Right, great.

I bounced off The Beginner's Guide very hard at first and never thought I'd give it a second chance, but the Watch out for Fireballs guys did an episode on it that lays out at the very beginning that the game is just flat out not good if you go into it blind. If you go into it with the foreknowledge of the game's "twist" then it's a much better ride, and I'd agree because I liked it a lot more that way. Still a walking simulator, so it's not going to change your mind if you find that boring, but (legitimately big spoilers that I'd argue makes the game more interesting knowing before playing): The fact that Davey's not just an unreliable narrator, but a complete rear end in a top hat and creep who is lying to himself and the player out the jump about basically everything, because of his desperation and shame wrt unhealthily obsessing over the parasocial relationship he has with Coda, I think even stalking Coda if I remember right? means you can read into the plot of the game and how it's presented much differently on a second playthrough. The first playthrough is so loving dull that it's much better to get the cliff's notes of the big twist and then play the game.

E: I guess what I thought made it interesting to me is that it essentially becomes a game of "spot the red flags" while knowing there should be absolutely zero benefit of the doubt given

bawk fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 26, 2023

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bawk posted:

I bounced off The Beginner's Guide very hard at first and never thought I'd give it a second chance, but the Watch out for Fireballs guys did an episode on it that lays out at the very beginning that the game is just flat out not good if you go into it blind. If you go into it with the foreknowledge of the game's "twist" then it's a much better ride, and I'd agree because I liked it a lot more that way. Still a walking simulator, so it's not going to change your mind if you find that boring, but (legitimately big spoilers that I'd argue makes the game more interesting knowing before playing): The fact that Davey's not just an unreliable narrator, but a complete rear end in a top hat and creep who is lying to himself and the player out the jump about basically everything, because of his desperation and shame wrt unhealthily obsessing over the parasocial relationship he has with Coda, I think even stalking Coda if I remember right? means you can read into the plot of the game and how it's presented much differently on a second playthrough. The first playthrough is so loving dull that it's much better to get the cliff's notes of the big twist and then play the game.

E: I guess what I thought made it interesting to me is that it essentially becomes a game of "spot the red flags" while knowing there should be absolutely zero benefit of the doubt given

Oooh OK, it's been a few years so my memory is a little hazy but that actually does sound pretty neat. Might give it another go knowing that, although this does make it sound like it should maybe have been more clearly signposted in the first/early playthrough lol

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oooh OK, it's been a few years so my memory is a little hazy but that actually does sound pretty neat. Might give it another go knowing that, although this does make it sound like it should maybe have been more clearly signposted in the first/early playthrough lol

I think the idea going in was to let this be an "Aha!" Moment that the player figures out and unlocks the game's story, which is 100% fair and having a plot twist that requires a few inferences by the player to catch early on is cool and good, but I don't think you could pick a worse gameplay genre to slap that onto than a walking simulator based around walking through somebody's half finished demos.

It does make a lot more sense why somebody is willing to explain to you at length about how groundbreaking and revolutionary an unfinished CS:S map is lol

There's also still a subtwist contained within the main twist that does a little bit of that recontextualization again, that i don't think hits as hard when you're trying to wrap your head around wtf kind of game it's meant to be because it doesn't mean anything if you aren't sure exactly what Davey is trying to accomplish in the first place. it's one big confession

bawk fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 26, 2023

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Undertale pissed me off when I tried to beat it as a pacifist for my first run and then the game pretty much tells you that you weren't supposed to play like that your first run and it locks you out of beating it as a pacifist.

chainchompz fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 26, 2023

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

chainchompz posted:

Undertale passed me off when I tried to beat it as a pacifist for my first run and then the game pretty much tells you that you weren't supposed to play like that your first run and it locks you out of beating it as a pacifist.

lol

The General
Mar 4, 2007

That is some straight up bullshit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's one fight you can't do without using the FIGHT command, but it doesn't take you off of the pacifist route :shrug:

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

chainchompz posted:

Undertale pissed me off when I tried to beat it as a pacifist for my first run and then the game pretty much tells you that you weren't supposed to play like that your first run and it locks you out of beating it as a pacifist.

I may be missing something, but this doesn't happen I think? The first time you "beat" it you can't get the true pacifist ending, but as long as you haven't gained any XP to that point, you can then just load your last savegame from before you beat it and follow the heavily-signposted "I wonder what Alphys is doing?" clue to continue the true pacifist run.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 27, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I know of some other games that mess you around a bit, but I can't remember the details.

Pony Island and Antichamber? But I also didn't like them. I guess Prey [the most recent one]. Spec Ops The Line? Frog Fractions.

And then there's some games that really just screw you around for just a bit, usually right at the end, which is probably less what you'd be looking for and it seems like it'd be spoilery to go into them.
  • The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Secret of Monkey Island 2

Undertale I see what people think was charming about it, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Some of the bosses were too hard, I didn't really act in the way I was supposed to in order for the big subversions to work. Some of the writing just hit me really wrong. It's weird.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like I know of some other games that mess you around a bit, but I can't remember the details.

Pony Island and Antichamber? But I also didn't like them. I guess Prey [the most recent one]. Spec Ops The Line? Frog Fractions.

And then there's some games that really just screw you around for just a bit, usually right at the end, which is probably less what you'd be looking for and it seems like it'd be spoilery to go into them.
  • Arkham Asylum
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Secret of Monkey Island 2

Undertale I see what people think was charming about it, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. Some of the bosses were too hard, I didn't really act in the way I was supposed to in order for the big subversions to work. Some of the writing just hit me really wrong. It's weird.

There's Superliminal. It messes with your mind in a more traditional sense in that it's the puzzle mechanic itself that's mind-bending rather than some sort of twist or reveal. It's vaguely similar to Antichamber in this regard, but it's much more, I don't know, user friendly and playable I guess?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049410/Superliminal/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256803623/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1602530552

I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did, it's one of those unique experiences that could only be done through a videogame, no other medium would be able to do this.

e: It's probably too short for buying it at full price though

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 27, 2023

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

cmndstab posted:

I may be missing something, but this doesn't happen I think? The first time you "beat" it you can't get the true pacifist ending, but as long as you haven't gained any XP to that point, you can then just load your last savegame from before you beat it and follow the heavily-signposted "I wonder what Alphys is doing?" clue to continue the true pacifist run.

poo poo, I'm not sure. I didn't catch that as an option and when I was stuck there I actually rage uninstalled the game.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

SlothfulCobra posted:

This was kind of a "whatever" game, but I gotta give it props for its twist.

Blatant spoiler:

Turns out you are actually playing as an Ethereal alien who has possessed the main character. That possession is what gives him all of his "expert combat skills" (and is the in-universe explanation for the third-person camera; it's actually the Ethereal's first-person view), and without you he's just some mediocre Don Draper rear end in a top hat. Eventually some poo poo happens and you can possess and play as somebody else to complete the story.

Shine fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's Superliminal. It messes with your mind in a more traditional sense in that it's the puzzle mechanic itself that's mind-bending rather than some sort of twist or reveal. It's vaguely similar to Antichamber in this regard, but it's much more, I don't know, user friendly and playable I guess?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049410/Superliminal/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256803623/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1602530552

I didn't expect to like it nearly as much as I did, it's one of those unique experiences that could only be done through a videogame, no other medium would be able to do this.

e: It's probably too short for buying it at full price though

Agreed that it's probably not worth buying at full price but it regularly goes 50% off and is definitely worth it for that price. I had a great time with Superliminal and there are heaps of opportunities to explore for secrets and try to abuse the game mechanics to get out of bounds (which is usually anticipated), ala The Talos Principle.