Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Queensland will probably flip...

People are starting to forget it's still the same Newman era Toad's minus the Newman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

Queensland will probably flip...

flip Green, that is!

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Was his spot on their ticket changed? Like why now is he unelectable but was rock solid for almost 30 years.

And I agree he was predictable and clear for a long time so agree with your assessment.

I’m not sure what happened in previous elections, but they didn’t have an above the line group this year:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
eww it was a family group?

eww

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Was just wondering how old Fred Nile must be and he's 88.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

Was just wondering how old Fred Nile must be and he's 88.

an appropriate number for him

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ShoeFly posted:

I’m not sure what happened in previous elections, but they didn’t have an above the line group this year:

Not having an above the line group probably neatly explains it. I hazard a guess this is the first time he didn't. Good riddance in any event.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Was his spot on their ticket changed? Like why now is he unelectable but was rock solid for almost 30 years.

And I agree he was predictable and clear for a long time so agree with your assessment.

Wikipedia has some very unexciting drama:

Wikipedia posted:

However, following several years of animosity between Fred Nile and members of the Christian Democratic Party board of management, the party went into receivership in April 2021, in to an allegedly parlous financial condition. In March 2022, Fred Nile abandoned the Christian Democratic Party and sat in the New South Wales Legislative Council as the MLC for the Seniors United Party of Australia The party was subsequently taken off the Australian federal register of political parties due to having insufficient membership.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So I know dunking on me is kind of an Auspol tradition, but there is some very weird discourse going on in the Qanon thread if anyone would care to take a look and tell me if I'm insane.

The backstory is that after 2.5 years of work I can finally report how it actually started.

You might think that this information would be of interest to that thread. You'd be mistaken.

It is a ridiculously long article to be fair, cos it's the whole drat story, so I've just cut together a "shorter" one, and am going to have to start working on an actually normal sized one in a sec.

And of course there is the history of that thread being resistant to it, but I'm still surprised at the inertia of that dynamic.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Bucky Fullminster posted:

So I know dunking on me is kind of an Auspol tradition, but there is some very weird discourse going on in the Qanon thread if anyone would care to take a look and tell me if I'm insane.

no, please go away

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Autisanal Cheese posted:

no, please go away

I get that it's the internet and everything, but do you ever consider the impact your words can have on a human?

To relate it more directly to current Auspol events, we just saw multiple videos of people trying to interfere with an election by intimidating officials. You wanna know how that happened? This, via Riccardo Bosi.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I don't read your posts but I appreciate them (i'm lazy)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
congrats on finding those guys I guess?

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Bucky, I love you, and you've put a lot of time into this, but the mods are on your case because they only like comedy and not realism. I think your doing a great thing, but many do not.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Part of this is that some of his baked on supporter base is dying off.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Wow so it turns out 7.9 million drivers licence numbers were leaked due to the Latitude hack.

That’s just under 40% of the entire adult population of Australia.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Recoome posted:

Wow so it turns out 7.9 million drivers licence numbers were leaked due to the Latitude hack.

dont worry in 5-10 years when all the L1/L2 computer janitors on 457s are trained up as entry level security analysts and then immediately go work overseas for way more money we will have it sorted.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thinking about all those real estate agencies that require pages and pages of personal data just to apply to live in a sharehouse and the level of cybersecurity expertise the average real estate agency has.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Thinking about all those real estate agencies that require pages and pages of personal data just to apply to live in a sharehouse and the level of cybersecurity expertise the average real estate agency has.

95% of those applications go straight in the shredder after they've already rented the place out to someone at $150/wk above market value before the inspection.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Don't worry, you can pay extra to secure your PII :)
https://www.nine.com.au/property/re...0b-374505795969

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Laserface posted:

95% of those applications go straight in the shredder after they've already rented the place out to someone at $150/wk above market value before the inspection.

Computers don't get shredded nore typically wiped properly. In what century was the last time you put in a rental application?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

trunkh posted:

Computers don't get shredded nore typically wiped properly. In what century was the last time you put in a rental application?

August 2021.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

quote:

Victorian MP Moira Deeming has avoided expulsion from the parliamentary Liberal Party, but has been handed a nine-month suspension over her involvement with a controversial rally.

Victorian Liberal Leader John Pesutto had sought to have her expelled from the party room following the event earlier this month, at which a group of men performed Nazi salutes.

Mr Pesutto failed to gain enough support to secure the motion at a vote today.

you know, if i were the viclibs i would try and save face just a little bit, but here we are i guess

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Recoome posted:

Latitude Financial has disclosed that details of 14 million consumer records – including driver’s licences, passport numbers and financial statements – were stolen from its system in a cyber hack that is far worse than the company initially reported.

Number go up

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Anidav posted:

Latitude Financial has disclosed that details of 14 million consumer records – including driver’s licences, passport numbers and financial statements – were stolen from its system in a cyber hack that is far worse than the company initially reported.

Number go up

Where’s the 14million number being reported? The ABC only reported 8

E: 14 million people impacted, but 8 million licenses. Jesus.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Oh man I only just got a new license sent to me because of the Optus breach!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Tomberforce posted:

Oh man I only just got a new license sent to me because of the Optus breach!

In which case hopefully Latitude had the old one?

My Mac was purchased with Latitude a year ago, so I’m waiting with baited breath to see if I need to replace anything.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can they be fined for this?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Can they be fined for this?

When did you get a taste for such luxuries?

If a fine is levied, and it's a big if, it'll be a rounding error for them. I'd say it'd be like being flogged with a wet lettuce but with the price of fresh produce even that is overstating the ramifications for corporate carelessness in this country.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

When did you get a taste for such luxuries?

If a fine is levied, and it's a big if, it'll be a rounding error for them. I'd say it'd be like being flogged with a wet lettuce but with the price of fresh produce even that is overstating the ramifications for corporate carelessness in this country.

I thought the Privacy Legislation Amendment (Enforcement and Other Measures) Bill 2022 had been approved and signed into law? This is the first major breach since that was pushed through, so I wouldn't be surprised if they want to make an example out of Latitude.

https://ministers.ag.gov.au/media-centre/parliament-approves-governments-privacy-penalty-bill-28-11-2022 posted:

The Privacy Legislation Amendment (Enforcement and Other Measures) Bill 2022 increases the maximum penalties for serious or repeated privacy breaches from the current $2.22 million penalty to whichever is the greater of:
  • $50 million;
  • three times the value of any benefit obtained through the misuse of information; or
  • 30 per cent of a company's adjusted turnover in the relevant period.

Point 2 is fairly nebulous, especially considering the data has not turned up for sale/leaked anywhere on the deep or dark web yet, but Latitude made an operating profit of ~$36m last year so a $50m fine is significant.

Obviously those are maximum penalties, but this seems like a pretty egregious gap in their security posture so hopefully it's more than a slap with a wet lettuce.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

You're right, I had completely forgot about the changes made last year. Here's hoping it's a meaningful penalty.

e: it will be interesting to say where the responsibility with this ends up, as it's being reported that the breach was via their managed service provider. I won't name them here in case they get feisty with lawyers, but there has been one story online that identifies them. Of course it's company collecting the data that should bear responsibility but if they were not responsible for the mechanics of the breach then maybe both get prosecuted?

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 27, 2023

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

You're right, I had completely forgot about the changes made last year. Here's hoping it's a meaningful penalty.

e: it will be interesting to say where the responsibility with this ends up, as it's being reported that the breach was via their managed service provider. I won't name them here in case they get feisty with lawyers, but there has been one story online that identifies them. Of course it's company collecting the data that should bear responsibility but if they were not responsible for the mechanics of the breach then maybe both get prosecuted?

AFR is saying DXC is the MSP, I don't think their lawyers will worry much about posts on Something Awful when Troy Hunt is also talking about it.

While the initial access came through them, plenty of the blame should still lie with Latitude for allowing someone from DXC to get credentials to the other 3rd party providers that held the PII :shrug:

I've been working in an MSSP-style role for the past 3 1/2 years and resigned just last week to take up a role in an in-house team, and cannot be happier.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

ShoeFly posted:

I thought the Privacy Legislation Amendment (Enforcement and Other Measures) Bill 2022 had been approved and signed into law? This is the first major breach since that was pushed through, so I wouldn't be surprised if they want to make an example out of Latitude.

Point 2 is fairly nebulous, especially considering the data has not turned up for sale/leaked anywhere on the deep or dark web yet, but Latitude made an operating profit of ~$36m last year so a $50m fine is significant.

Obviously those are maximum penalties, but this seems like a pretty egregious gap in their security posture so hopefully it's more than a slap with a wet lettuce.
$

Big penalties don't come out of thin air though. If you're going to start chasing big companies for large sums of money, you need a well-resourced regulator, ideally enforcing very clear legislation. Guess what we have.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
DXC hahahahahahaha there's a name I haven't had in a while. Of course it was DXC, they were also responsible for the outage that took out all the ATO's systems for a few weeks a couple of years ago.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
There are possibly other MSPs in the mix but I’m sure I’m not legally allowed to confirm or deny any customers of the MSP I work for.

I haven’t and wouldn’t hear anything about it because I just make BI dashboards and poo poo out spreadsheets for internal use. The only time the news makes it to us is when they make do a media release and remind us to shut our loving mouths if a reporter talks to you.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

I just make BI dashboards and poo poo out spreadsheets for internal use.

sup fellow BI goon

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

NPR Journalizard posted:

sup fellow BI goon

Sup. I hope your job as easy-going as mine and you have something good to fill all those empty hours.

I’ve been moving a bunch of stuff out of Excel to PBI recently and am blown away by how much PBI has matured in the last five years + how much more knowledge/previously asked questions there are now, so I can just search all my problems. I’ve been able to recreate all kinds of functionality and formulas, but I’m not sure how to feel about DAX yet… it works and I usually get there in the end but it’s ugly and somewhat temperamental.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Best part about PowerBI is the fish tank visualisation.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

DRINK ME posted:

Sup. I hope your job as easy-going as mine and you have something good to fill all those empty hours.

I’ve been moving a bunch of stuff out of Excel to PBI recently and am blown away by how much PBI has matured in the last five years + how much more knowledge/previously asked questions there are now, so I can just search all my problems. I’ve been able to recreate all kinds of functionality and formulas, but I’m not sure how to feel about DAX yet… it works and I usually get there in the end but it’s ugly and somewhat temperamental.

I managed expectations when I started, and I can cruise along at like 60% and they are happy with that level of output.

Look up sqlbi imo. Work paid for an account for me, but even their free stuff is really informative.

The only thing reporting in excel has going for it right now is institutional inertia, and accountants who know how to do something in excel and have no desire to learn something new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

DRINK ME posted:

Power Automate it