Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Yo, does Jeremy Soule do movie scores?

Aw gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

Soundtrack by Drake Phil Spector, featuring Millie Bobby Brown.

Wait, who did Millie Bobbie Brown murder

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Wait, who did Millie Bobbie Brown murder
Nobody I think. Probably a reference to how Drake started creeping on her right after her career took off under the guise of “mentorship”.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Ah, I must have wiped that from my memory :barf:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, it’s apparently hilarious.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Grendels Dad posted:

stunt coordinator: Alec Baldwin.

Did Alec Baldwin actually do anything wrong, or is it hugely overblown because the chuds demand action?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Did Alec Baldwin actually do anything wrong, or is it hugely overblown because the chuds demand action?

He was a producer on the movie so he was responsible for some of the decisions made that caused the accident.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
IIRC there was news about the actual stunt coordinator or weapons master leaving the set because production was so lovely, and the scene in question shouldn't have been shot without them there to check everything, but they did it anyway.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

IIRC there was news about the actual stunt coordinator or weapons master leaving the set because production was so lovely, and the scene in question shouldn't have been shot without them there to check everything, but they did it anyway.

There was an ongoing dispute with IATSE members over safety which lead to quite a few production staff walking off and being replaced with underqualified and non-union crew

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Yeah, the actor who pulled the trigger doesn't carry any blame, it's the producer who allowed a shoot that dangerous in the first place. Both of those people are Alec Baldwin.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Beachcomber posted:

I get uncomfortable pointing a blue gun (plastic exact replica) at someone during a training, the thought of pointing a gun that is capable of firing real ammo in the general direction of someone and pulling the trigger is insane to me.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i still don't understand why prop guns are able to shoot but nothing that americans do with guns makes sense to me in general

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blanks look better, pretty much it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

CelticPredator posted:

Blanks look better, pretty much it.

I refuse to believe someone couldn’t invent a fake gun with realistic looking recoil and flash/smoke in like a month. It’s simply cheaper for the people in charge to have some peasant occasionally die from a Baldwin.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

galagazombie posted:

I refuse to believe someone couldn’t invent a fake gun with realistic looking recoil and flash/smoke in like a month. It’s simply cheaper for the people in charge to have some peasant occasionally die from a Baldwin.
Then do it lol Mr Big Ideas Guy, get rich. Hint: Weta still doesn’t have it right.

Also lol at ‘occasional peasant death via Baldwin’. Great line, but Brandon Lee was no peasant and that was 30 years ago.

Lotta blame to go around, but the armorer is spectacularly the biggest part of it. Her loving job is safety on set, and she brought real bullets to work to gently caress around and go shooting with the rented guns. That’s so far beyond the pale that it seems unreal. She needs to go to jail along with anybody else that knew that poo poo was going on. Oh and the second AD that called ‘cold gun’ without checking, when IIRC she wasn’t around to do her job for some reason.

I’m genuinely interested to know what a vanity credit like Baldwin’s really means on a shitshow like that production. I know a huge part of it is making sure nothing that the actor perceives as ‘hurting their image’ happens, like the Rock never losing or even being challenged by any fight, ever. I’d love to know the Baldwin the person every knew or really cared what was happening outside of his contract, or if he just got out of a limo, did wardrobe, makeup, rehearsal, scenes, then left.

Now that I think about it I’d really be surprised if Baldwin gave a poo poo other than being annoyed he had to leave town to shoot some random low-budget western that met his rate. But that vanity producer title he picked up during negotiations kinda hosed the ‘don’t hurt my image’ thing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

galagazombie posted:

Something like high-quality airsoft guns have been in a lot of productions. For example, the John Wick films.

https://twitter.com/funEman_/status/1637933685155713024?s=20

All the muzzle flashes are added in post and the gun sounds are all foley work and sound editing anyway to be consistent. The John Wick films especially have non-firing non-blank prop weapons because the director Chad Staheklsi was Brandon Lee's stunt double on The Crow and has basically vowed never to put anyone in that type of situation ever again as he's stunt coordinator and director.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

Something like high-quality airsoft guns have been in a lot of productions. For example, the John Wick films.

https://twitter.com/funEman_/status/1637933685155713024?s=20

All the muzzle flashes are added in post and the gun sounds are all foley work and sound editing anyway to be consistent.

Chicago PD has done this for the last few seasons, and The Closer started doing this in its fifth season in 2009 (and its successor, Major Crimes, which began in 2012, followed suit).

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

Chicago PD has done this for the last few seasons, and The Closer started doing this in its fifth season in 2009 (and its successor, Major Crimes, which began in 2012, followed suit).

I thought you meant falling down escalators at first.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I thought you meant falling down escalators at first.

Yeah, the tweet was the quickest thing I could bring up since it was still fresh in my mind, so I can understand the confusion, but you can clearly hear the gas from the guns going off in the clip.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I appreciate that most of this shot wasn't in the movie, but they did make sure to include that guy absolutely chucking himself down an escalator.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Here's an incredibly poorly-timed article slashfilm put up yesterday.

https://www.slashfilm.com/1238952/2023-is-the-year-of-jonathan-majors-but-most-people-havent-seen-his-best-performance-yet/

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Young Freud posted:

The John Wick films especially have non-firing non-blank prop weapons because the director Chad Staheklsi was Brandon Lee's stunt double on The Crow and has basically vowed never to put anyone in that type of situation ever again as he's stunt coordinator and director.

drat, that's fascinating trivia I was not aware.

I must say the gunstuff looks pretty realistic in the Wicks franchise (within the heightened world and all the other stuff going on). I guess you lose a lot of the performance with a non-firinf prop, i.e. the operator grimacing, blinking, tensing under the recoil. But if your characters are all superhuman gun pros anyway it works that they no-sell the shot completely like Robert Patrick as the T1000

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Wick 4 is essentially about wizards because now everyone wears bulletproof designer suits. This necessitates even more headshots than usual.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hadn't heard about that, but as shown, he's absolutely not sympathetic unless you are some kind of psycho

also people generally get more up in arms over animal abuse and there's plenty of that on the show

I was really struck by the discussions my coworkers were having about the show when it came out that yes, people were more sympathetic to Joe than they should be, and that the tone and both-sides-ism of the direction does a lot more to shape people's response than the literal facts/content that are laid out. A lot of people didn't recognize that guy was a literal monster while watching because the show bent over backwards to soften his image, and a lot of audiences don't turn on their critical faculties while zoning out to Netflix.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

I must say the gunstuff looks pretty realistic in the Wicks franchise (within the heightened world and all the other stuff going on). I guess you lose a lot of the performance with a non-firinf prop, i.e. the operator grimacing, blinking, tensing under the recoil. But if your characters are all superhuman gun pros anyway it works that they no-sell the shot completely like Robert Patrick as the T1000

The other bonus it allows for some really brutal action choreography without endangering other performers. Like you can't exactly get these point blank headshots that's typical in the John Wick films with blank-firing guns because even at those ranges can be lethal.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Failed Imagineer posted:

More fascinating Chad Staheklsi trivia: he was Keanu's stunt double for the Matrix trilogy and for Matrix Resurrections, he played the fake version of Neo that Trinity is partners with, named "Chad." Literally the virgin Keanu and the chad Chad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Rochallor posted:

More fascinating Chad Staheklsi trivia: he was Keanu's stunt double for the Matrix trilogy and for Matrix Resurrections, he played the fake version of Neo that Trinity is partners with, named "Chad." Literally the virgin Keanu and the chad Chad.

That was his stunt rear end?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, I didn't know that they were faking it in John Wick to that extent. Last time this came up, I had just happened to see a clip from 0-0-0 (good streaming series) again, and somebody pointed out how absolutely poo poo the guns looked. They were really stripped down looking and possibly just consumer airsoft guns that looked like AR-15s. But, you didn't really notice it in the scenes because they bothered to choreograph the tactics well and you were paying much more attention to the actors and their movements than how the guns looked.

So, as much as it doesn't feel like the right answer, it does seem like you can pretty easily get over the loss of blanks/working models by putting in the effort.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

Chad Staheklsi

Rochallor posted:

Chad Staheklsi

Stahelski.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Timby posted:

Stahelski.

Chad-Wick

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Timby posted:

Stahelski.

Gesundheit

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Filmmaking is literally the art of smoke and mirrors, and you use whatever tools are available and seem to work the best for a particular shot. All those blooper spotters point out a lot of places where props are swapped around between scenes, as well as stunt doubles and so on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Timby posted:

Stahelski.

Stahl-elski :black101:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Caught up with The Menu and did not like it. But I think it's less that it was a bad film and more that it wasn't the film I was expecting:

* Its not much of a satire of foodie culture. Instead it takes a massive poo poo over the entire idea, making it out to be totally preposterous and vacuous. The viewpoint character is immediately sceptical and dismissive of the whole thing, like it was blindingly obvious.

* Maybe I was expecting something like The Square or Force Majeure, but instead it feels like more of a horror film, with a lot of the associated tropes.

* I didn't quite buy the resolution, a cheeseburger, which felt like it was trying to make some big point, but the film had to end some how.

Having said that, it was still better than most other things I've seen recently (Crazy Rich Asians, and dear god, WW84) so there's that to its credit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

between Pig and The Menu i am 2 for 2 on not at all liking recent movies about foodie culture that it seems like everyone else loved

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I liked The Menu enough and thought it started really strong but it turned into a different movie than the one I was expecting and it just kinda bummed me out.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

nonathlon posted:

Caught up with The Menu and did not like it. But I think it's less that it was a bad film and more that it wasn't the film I was expecting:

* Its not much of a satire of foodie culture. Instead it takes a massive poo poo over the entire idea, making it out to be totally preposterous and vacuous. The viewpoint character is immediately sceptical and dismissive of the whole thing, like it was blindingly obvious.

* Maybe I was expecting something like The Square or Force Majeure, but instead it feels like more of a horror film, with a lot of the associated tropes.

* I didn't quite buy the resolution, a cheeseburger, which felt like it was trying to make some big point, but the film had to end some how.

Having said that, it was still better than most other things I've seen recently (Crazy Rich Asians, and dear god, WW84) so there's that to its credit.

The chef didn't even want to kill Anya Taylor-Joy because she wasn't part of his murder-suicide plan. The cheeseburger was just to help him make up his mind because it reminded him of a time when he was still optimistic and happy.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The Menu and Flux Gourmet make a really good dark comedy double feature

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The Menu and Flux Gourmet make a really good dark comedy double feature

Flux Gourmet was so much better than The Menu that it wouldn't withstand the comparison. gently caress Peter Strickland is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Nothing in the menu lives up to the first course where the guy blows his brains out.

Still need to check out Flux gourmet that looked wild