Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

I'm not a securities lawyer, but if they're concerned about their stablecoins getting classified as securities, I don't know how adding a wider variety of "assets" as backing for your security stablecoin is going to fundamentally change the conclusion that it's a security

that's the whole crypto game, pretending their new thing is sufficiently new and different from the old thing, and therefore no rules apply and the grift can continue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What stops the three card monty dealer from swapping the ball to another cup?

Yes, part of the joke is that the ball doesn't matter in the first place

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lets take a look a nuon, which claims to be the first flatcoin:

an inflation proof asset certainly sounds like a security

oh boy, a crypto project that is overcollateralized, "audited", "insured", and "decentralized" (so no KYC/AML) certainly will run into no problems

flawless legal and economic reasoning here

how exactly will it track inflation? they've invented a magic computer program that always knows the "unbiased" inflation rate, and then *hand waves*, inflation protection

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Between these new flatcoins and the thread about the prescription flat-dick treatment, GBS is truly on the cutting edge of technology

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
it's all a bunch of gaga.

Buttcoin.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
lol, and heres a thread on another inflation proof flatcoin:

https://twitter.com/ShivanshuMadan/status/1515550610262663170

summary of how it works: simple, they just invest their assets at a rate of return higher than inflation!

if that sounds impossible to maintain indefinitely, dont worry, theyve got a second plan - if there is a shortfall they can just issue more equity shares governance tokens (of course, *these* tokens will always have a non-zero value even if they continuously print them)

so, its basically terra-luna, but with the added hurdle of needing to provide an inflation adjusted return to their flatcoin holders

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This is good for bitcoin.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Lazyfire posted:

It looks like the next step a few different crypto exchanges are about to take is creating "flatcoins" in response to some stablecoins getting tagged as securities. I was really confused as to what the gently caress a Flatcoin was, but it just turns out that it's just the Libra model of cryptocurrency. If you don't remember Libra; it was Facebook's attempt to get into crypto by creating a token backed by a "basket of currencies" that was to be heavily tilted to the USD. Divabot wrote a book about it that explained the pitfalls and leaps in logic needed to make it seem like it was viable and concluded it was likely Facebook was more interested in scooping up even more data about its users than any utility Libra would provide to the customer. Now that both Web3 and AI fads have died within the crypto business sphere it looks like we're going to get hit with a wave of poo poo about the utility of Flatcoins.

Here's my question: Bitfinex and Circle both offer more than just USD reserve stablecoins. What stops them from double counting their reserves for stable and flat coins? Ignore that Tether is backed by nothing buy Bitfinex executives saying it's backed. I can feel the scams coming even now, and there aren't any official flatcoins issued so far as I know.

I'd never heard of them before your post, but "flatcoins" have apparently been around since early 2022, before the crash. I can't find any recent coverage of them except Nuon's press release that their coin nobody cares about is going live - what did you see?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

drk posted:

oh boy, a crypto project that is overcollateralized, "audited", "insured", and "decentralized" (so no KYC/AML) certainly will run into no problems

how exactly will it track inflation? they've invented a magic computer program that always knows the "unbiased" inflation rate, and then *hand waves*, inflation protection
Not pegged to any Fiat! Instead Nuon is merely pegged to the amount of fiat currency people pay for things like food and housing. Totally a different thing!!!!!!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

drk posted:

lets take a look a nuon

If you deliberately mispronounced it then it would sound like none. Which is what is an accurate measure of its substance.

Even the names are lazy.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

drk posted:

out of all the poorly-explained bullshit behind this, the bullshit about "overcollateralization" might be what I'm most perplexed by. "don't worry, this inflation-adjusted magic bean will somehow always be overcollateralized by different, highly-volatile magic beans that are not inflation-adjusted." Why should magic bean-holders ever be willing to lock up X value of magic beans in return for different, derivative magic beans worth less than X? What happens if the value of the collateral suddenly falls? Has a magic algorithmic auto-collateralized shitcoin ever not imploded dramatically at some point? Why am I still bothering with these questions when the people running these scams clearly don't give a poo poo anymore?

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011
You all like scams? here's a nuon for you.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i can already print the future headline
"nuon flatcoin drained of all its monies because truflation oracle takes 10 seconds to update so when one of these shitcoins spikes or drops smarter people take actions on them"

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

will it make me rich if I buy and hodl? If so, I'll take 100, pls

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

drk posted:

summary of how it works: simple, they just invest their assets at a rate of return higher than inflation!

if that sounds impossible to maintain indefinitely, dont worry, theyve got a second plan - if there is a shortfall they can just issue more equity shares governance tokens (of course, *these* tokens will always have a non-zero value even if they continuously print them)

so, its basically terra-luna, but with the added hurdle of needing to provide an inflation adjusted return to their flatcoin holders

Surprised they didn't have the balls to claim this as a feature: "and don't worry, FPIS holders are incentivised to make investments that beat inflation because otherwise their share of future profits are diluted!"

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010
Another banger video from Dan Olsen, this one about the "Metaverse".

drk
Jan 16, 2005
ladies, the crypto bros have solved online harassment with a magic spell of illusions

https://twitter.com/Choice_au/status/1640134359792623616

the authors of the paper that terrible diagram came from also reinvented MMO instancing for when you want to buy underwear in the metaverse

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

drk posted:

This is amazing.

"We simply invest in assets that increase in value more than inflation.

What if they don't?

No worries, we just use the money from when they did! Or we just ask people for more money!"

Mindblowing stuff

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

watched this when he was still previewing it for patreons. really good effort although i think a lot of the metaverse stuff has been in decline every since meta had to write off their AI plans by laying off a ton of employees.

there's an SA shoutout (in which dan calls some guy's diatribe straight out of a SA post circa 2008)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

drk posted:

ladies, the crypto bros have solved online harassment with a magic spell of illusions

the authors of the paper that terrible diagram came from also reinvented MMO instancing for when you want to buy underwear in the metaverse

"All the best security solutions tolerate a 15-20% failure rate"

e: lol what is this poo poo. ignoring that lockpicking lwayer does infact break poo poo in one try or so, a 20ish% failure rate isnt something no one would tolerate for a product. even in some niche things

also again why would I want to shop a VR space simulating a shop, when I can do a webapge and do shopping faster?

e:and unless a troll discovering my shadow clone pops out a log, this is a poo poo idea. also shadow clones should also be like mimics, or even really really cruel kaizo mimics.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 27, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

among the myriad reasons the metaverse is loving stupid: if i am being harassed in the metaverse and tech exists to deploy ai clones like chaff every harasser is going to use similar tech to gently caress with people on massive scales

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Illuminti posted:

This is amazing.

"We simply invest in assets that increase in value more than inflation.

What if they don't?

No worries, we just use the money from when they did! Or we just ask people for more money!"

Mindblowing stuff

Wasn't SVB asking for money because their assets weren't increasing in value more than inflation what caused Peter Thiel to learn that banks don't hold every single dollar in liquid assets and tell all his friends to run the bank?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

divabot posted:

I'd never heard of them before your post, but "flatcoins" have apparently been around since early 2022, before the crash. I can't find any recent coverage of them except Nuon's press release that their coin nobody cares about is going live - what did you see?

I didn't know they were a thing until the regular accounts like bitfinexed and such started posting about them this morning. I thought Libra dying ended this idea.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Isn't the metaverse just an MMO but with vr

Because all they seem to be doing is reinventing MMO concepts or doing a laborious end run around them for no particular reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SettingSun posted:

Isn't the metaverse just an MMO but with vr

Because all they seem to be doing is reinventing MMO concepts or doing a laborious end run around them for no particular reason.

The metaverse is "what if we re-invented the Internet, only this time absolutely nothing was free?"

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

Thesaurus posted:

Completely tangential, but fwiw to was looking into this out if curiosity and it's part true. The volunteer died, but years before the program closed. https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna22163602

Makes sense. Nothing happens fast in the pc (we take pcv safety very seriously lol) and there's a two year lead time to close a program and not cut people's service short. I never googled it and was working off what a guy told me who was trying to gently caress a girl I was really into.
Our group of like 33 had a couple big assaults, a bad dog attack and one suicide (didn't count though since she had been home for two days)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

istewart posted:

Between these new flatcoins and the thread about the prescription flat-dick treatment, GBS is truly on the cutting edge of technology

the what now

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The clone stuff is so stupid. It’s all loving virtual, you should easily be able to just delete the harasser from your view of the virtual world

like, ignore functions have existed since the first ever usenet news reader

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

sir that would be an attack on free speech

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

The metaverse is "what if we re-invented the Internet, only this time absolutely nothing was free?"

a recent Zuck and Meta article said that the meta zucks matrix is probably about leveling Zuck himself up.

So thats why all this meta poo poo sucks poo poo

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

This sums up every problem with Crypto.. Where every goal to introduce costs is literally called innovation.

Followed by : inflation is bad and things cost too much! Without realizing crypto is already causing inflation.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, over in the games biz...

https://twitter.com/kelslewin/status/1639377317188481024

https://twitter.com/itstheshadsy/status/1639503585699598336

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

With any luck we'll have the same two pictures next year but blockchain replaced by AI

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

drk posted:

Written by someone who has somehow never shopped online and never shopped for groceries

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I haven't been keeping up--how did bitcoin jump back up to over $25,000?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Star Man posted:

I haven't been keeping up--how did bitcoin jump back up to over $25,000?

they ran with the narrative that the svc bank run is a great time to hedge with bitcoin because if somehow the entire banking system collapses... somehow bitcoin survives and becomes the new money? no comment yet on whether the US government would continue to exist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
New Dan Olson doc dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol, 'Ladies, are you being harassed online? Why not simply cast Mirror Image!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
It's also kind of weird that blocking a dude from harrasing is apparently out of the question, but tricking him into harrasing ai copies of his target is ok.

Or rather, it's ok in theory for now because it hasn't happened to one of them yet.