Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
*moves to vail*
PFC: what are you a POOR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they dont move to a depressed town they move to a carbon copy of aspen thats newer and temporarily costs less

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

they dont move to a depressed town they move to a carbon copy of aspen thats newer and temporarily costs less

yea. bend is still cheaper than the major tech job hubs of cali.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

bozeman is a vacation town, lol if you think its full of meth

vacation towns, famously places without drugs

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
lol how dumb are you to try to make that your point

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

anime was right posted:

Boise for sure

Apr 7, 2003

The lovely town I grew up in is actually getting squeezed by real estate investors and absolutely nobody is moving there. I have family there still and my brother told me basically everything is getting snapped up by outside investors, getting the Lowes Rehab, and going on the market for way more than locals can afford. The 'gentrifying' is happening everywhere because wealth addicts were never going to be happy just squeezing the cities.

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/219-S-Maple-St_Mount-Carmel_PA_17851_M32646-08435

(and yeah, $120K is out of the reach of the locals there, median household income is ~$32K)

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Met a neighbor today that lives down the road and lives on social security. He has a huge pack of dogs and said that "people up here you either want to hug em or shoot em." His deceased MIL's cabin is for rent for $600/mo if you're interested in also living on a mountain.

Apr 7, 2003

A Bakers Cousin posted:

lol how dumb are you to try to make that your point

There are no organic truthful narratives in American media and there haven't been for a long time, if six different media sources are shrieking "WEALTHY AMERICANS ARE LEAVING CITIES FOR RURAL AREAS" I 100% do not believe it and I'm going to assume it's a constructed narrative.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are no organic truthful narratives in American media and there haven't been for a long time, if six different media sources are shrieking "WEALTHY AMERICANS ARE LEAVING CITIES FOR RURAL AREAS" I 100% do not believe it and I'm going to assume it's a constructed narrative.

they wanted to buy nyc/sf apartments below rate

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

they wanted to buy nyc/sf apartments below rate

yep. and rents / prices never went down in urban areas, either. Everyone supposedly left and yet prices still went up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gunshow Poophole posted:

Boise for sure

all the mega chuds from California moved here, started vanilla isis, and are working towards ruining the metro

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mustached Demon posted:

all the mega chuds from California moved here, started vanilla isis, and are working towards ruining the metro

my figgies friends in Boise just moved to Portland lmao

... a fight so stupid we broke the forums

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 02:37 on Mar 27, 2023

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

*moves to vail*
PFC: what are you a POOR?

*moves to Pittsburgh*

oh so you like meth?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

2000 people moving out of a city isn't worth noticing, 20 people moving into a tiny town is a big deal.

suburbanites are already isolated to do nothing outside their property or work. so if they stopped going to work, why spend $1.2 million on a tiny home in tech sprawl instead of $400k on a mansion with 2 acres in the middle of nowhere, and continue ordering all their useless trash from amazon why never going outside?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

I think the entire narrative that people left cities en masse during the pandemic was manufactured.

https://archive.curbed.com/2020/7/13/21319909/coronavirus-urban-exodus-cities-moving-suburbs

of course it was. fake news is the only thing american capitalism still knows how to manufacture.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anime was right posted:

eggs are honestly one of the most incredible foods and they do so much stuff its insane

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The rich love moving into little towns where they can be the big fish in a little pond.

AzzaccaRye
Dec 9, 2020

spacetoaster posted:

The rich love moving into little towns where they can be the big fish in a little pond.

They get very mad when you don't treat them as such.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1640093161983823874?t=AeVBRqI71EAyGjzwgsyboA&s=19

... after they've already made all the money out of it from selling shovels

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse
landlord....rent.....jobs making 100k a year.. go!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

spacetoaster posted:

Gotta have great weather or great views though. None of them move to the upper Midwest or western rust belt. Those cities just lie abandoned despite being the best equipped to deal with climate change, plenty of infrastructure around for farms, etc

It does seem like Appalachia is getting gentrified which is kind of wild considering it's historical reputation but makes sense due to the fantastic locations

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Mar 27, 2023

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

anime was right posted:

there are a bunch of data centers by bend

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1640093161983823874?t=AeVBRqI71EAyGjzwgsyboA&s=19

... after they've already made all the money out of it from selling shovels

"The only thing more useless," he continued, "is video games, ..."

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

FlapYoJacks posted:

That’s not what I said. In small claims court in California you must represent yourself.

if the court accepts your case*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

cool av posted:

"The only thing more useless," he continued, "is video games, ..."

They’re right.

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse
mod edit: no

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Mar 27, 2023

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Shipon posted:

I hope the locals who were priced out by these assholes moving in and causing rents to get jacked up are feelin smug about them losing their jobs because I probably would be

As much as I hate tech nitwits, it was the landlords realizing there was a rich new demographic that priced normal people out of cities. Rent controls or putting landlords up against a wall mixed building new units would have kept things affordable.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

FlapYoJacks posted:

They’re right.

says the guy who owes money to a vampire

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/lisaabramowicz1/status/1639988935798534148?t=q7mN2Nz-F-GTlftB5NO4KQ&s=19

Protests in France still continuing. Isreal now popping off

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

silentsnack posted:

says the guy who owes money to a vampire

I also am a computer touched and produce nothing to society. :smith:

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse

Real hurthling! posted:

temporarily costs less

Real hurthling! posted:

temporarily costs less

Real hurthling! posted:

temporarily costs less

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

you are right, the media narrative is largely completely bunk

however, one thing to keep in mind is there are definitely big figgie facebook touchers that did move to like boise or bozoman or jacksons hole or moab or sedona or whatever dumb poo poo where they could "feel safe, no homeless, "good schools", yadda yadda dog whistles that they all love. if someone starts talking about "good schools", they are probably an extremely rich giant piece of poo poo.

i would also add the big wave of SF/portland/seattle/etc over the past decade are like Wisconsin or Ohio upper-class libertarian/slashdot-tie transplants who moved here for work have spent the past 10 years complaining about it: too much traffic, kill all the homeless, etc. These are the people that are dying for Applebees, big trucks, 3-car garage, etc. A segment of this libertarian transplant class absolutely bailed for loving Idaho as soon as they could. but again, drop in the bucket.

but it's overall so small that the media narrative is an astroturfed joke to own da crime hell-hole lib cities or whatever. but it has happened, and i say good riddance to all the fuckers leaving anyways.

essentially:

jetz0r posted:

2000 people moving out of a city isn't worth noticing, 20 people moving into a tiny town is a big deal.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Mar 27, 2023

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Xaris posted:

you are right, the media narrative is largely completely bunk

however, one thing to keep in mind is there are definitely big figgie facebook touchers that did move to like boise or bozoman or jacksons hole or moab or sedona or whatever dumb poo poo where they could "feel safe, no homeless, "good schools", yadda yadda dog whistles that they all love. if someone starts talking about "good schools", they are probably an extremely rich giant piece of poo poo.

i would also add the big wave of SF/portland/seattle/etc over the past decade are like Wisconsin or Ohio upper-class libertarian/slashdot-tie transplants who moved here for work have spent the past 10 years complaining about it: too much traffic, kill all the homeless, etc. These are the people that are dying for Applebees, big trucks, 3-car garage, etc.

Ohio is trying to lure all these people back but nobody's falling for it because it's Ohio

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
tbh it's kind of surprising more tech people haven't done that. People talk a big game about how city life gives them so much more access to x/y/z and they're not wrong but do most of em actually utilize it? Is some microsoft computer toucher really crawling bars on cap hill , hitting up live performances, reveling in the arts and culture available? Or are they just wfh/commuting to wherever in the GSA they could get property for a bit cheaper and living almost identically to people from smaller cities, putting all their fun money into deliveries and downloads. I grew up in and live a couple hours from seattle and could if I felt like it just take a long weekend there with the wife once in a while and that'd still be more engagement with the city proper than most of my friends who still live there. The person that truly takes advantage of metro life like it's some sort of sitcom feels like a unicorn, you don't have the money when you have the youth and you don't have the youth when you have the money.

My brother works for a major tech company and has been wfh for years and finally just pulled the trigger on moving and buying a house cause it's not like he used the city he lived in much anyways and the absurd rent was just pissing away money. It seems like the natural move for the bulk of people.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

PoundSand posted:

tbh it's kind of surprising more tech people haven't done that. People talk a big game about how city life gives them so much more access to x/y/z and they're not wrong but do most of em actually utilize it? Is some microsoft computer toucher really crawling bars on cap hill , hitting up live performances, reveling in the arts and culture available? Or are they just wfh/commuting to wherever in the GSA they could get property for a bit cheaper and living almost identically to people from smaller cities, putting all their fun money into deliveries and downloads. I grew up in and live a couple hours from seattle and could if I felt like it just take a long weekend there with the wife once in a while and that'd still be more engagement with the city proper than most of my friends who still live there. The person that truly takes advantage of metro life like it's some sort of sitcom feels like a unicorn, you don't have the money when you have the youth and you don't have the youth when you have the money.

My brother works for a major tech company and has been wfh for years and finally just pulled the trigger on moving and buying a house cause it's not like he used the city he lived in much anyways and the absurd rent was just pissing away money. It seems like the natural move for the bulk of people.

probably a couple posters in the denver LAN thread would raise their bicycle glove gloved hand. id like to think i would be doing more if it werent for this blasted parenthood

Apr 7, 2003

PoundSand posted:

tbh it's kind of surprising more tech people haven't done that. People talk a big game about how city life gives them so much more access to x/y/z and they're not wrong but do most of em actually utilize it? Is some microsoft computer toucher really crawling bars on cap hill , rn, you don't have the money when you have the youth and you don't have the youth when you have thehitting up live performances, reveling in the arts and culture available? Or are they just wfh/commuting to wherever in the GSA they could get property for a bit cheaper and living almost identically to people from smaller cities, putting all their fun money into deliveries and downloads. I grew up in and live a couple hours from seattle and could if I felt like it just take a long weekend there with the wife once in a while and that'd still be more engagement with the city proper than most of my friends who still live there. The person that truly takes advantage of metro life like it's some sort of sitcom feels like a unico money.

I want to have more places to spend my money than Walmart and I don't want to loving die if I get on my bike

Apr 7, 2003

*moves to Rural pennsylvania and is surrounded by heroin use and generational despair* "wow, it sure is cheap to live here and I'm so glad I moved"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

"My wife and I make $300K a year and live in Pittsburgh"

jesus christ will you stop talking about yourself for one day on this forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

jesus christ will you stop talking about yourself for one day on this forum

You're literally making poo poo up and getting mad at it