Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

BlueBlazer posted:

I believe you, this photorealistic rendering is proof!

uncannily similar to my own coloration, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Giant Metal Robot posted:

That's why we need elementary school class in "prompt engineering".

If I was in charge of writing the software to sift through resumes and job applications, everyone that has the phrase “prompt engineer” in their documents would get ejected straight into the sun. I hate this phrase so god drat much.

Fake edit: I’d eject their applications into the sun as well.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was theorizing the model somehow knows hands have fingers like grapes are made up of grapes and just kind of goes to town on it or something.
I have a bit of experience writing neural networks and disentangled autoencoders and have read most of the relevant papers about these things. The models don't know about anatomy, perspective, composition, colour theory, or any of the other abstractions humans use to think about images. To put it in extremely simplified terms, they encode a complicated hierarchy of light and dark blobs. These blobs and their combinations form the latent space, where the images that the networks are capable of generating live. You want a face? Combine these blobs, you want it looking to the left, reduce the influence of this blob and increase the influence of that one. You want it in the upper right corner instead of centered? Add these blobs and subtract those. Every signal can be deconstructed into some group of basis functions, so from a signal theory perspective this isn't all that interesting and seems quite sensible.

The amazing parts are the incredible compression that the models achieve, they cram a lot of basis functions into not much space, and that the entire space of blobs is differentiable. The latent space is basically a gigantic high dimensional cube and you can calculate a gradient at any point within it. The real magic is that the language model converts written text into a set "directions" in the latent space. You type "big titty anime waifu" in and provide a noise image, essentially defining a random spot in the latent space, and every step a set of gradients is computed that will point towards a part of the space where the basis function corresponding to the prompt word are maximized. It's like if you put a pin at a random spot on earth and ask find a palm tree. If it's too far north, the gradient will point south, it's over land the gradient will point toward the water and vice versa. Follow the gradient and take smaller and smaller steps as you go and you'll find a spot where a palm tree should be before too long.

This is why you'll still get something without a prompt. The language model will always spit something out, and it'll just follow the random gradient until the set of basis functions is maximized. It's also why the models seem to have a "secret" language and gibberish will often correspond to things. You're just at a weird spot in the language model where odd gradients are generated. Where you find things that can't be easily generated, like hands in earlier models, it points to the lack of precision in the part of the latent space where the had gradients point. This also gives rise to the more obvious AI generated "tells" where things widely separated in the latent space are next to each other in the generated image. Hair falling onto clothes is a common one. They've got great basis functions for hair and cloth but not much in between, so where they meet things get a little odd. The more training images you use, the more filled in these gaps get, so underspecified regions for things like hands start to have more useful blobs associated with them.

This turned into more of an effort post than I intended.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fritz the Horse posted:

i would like this to stop thank you

Now I understand why they were pushing horse dewormer so hard. You should probably get tested.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

steckles posted:

This turned into more of an effort post than I intended.

It was some good stuff though. I can see why people talk about The Chinese Room Argument with this stuff much more. I guess we are still far from generating something and then having it explaining the intricacies of the pictures (?).

The compression is pretty interesting too. Hearing about reducing models to under an MB and still having something that can write stories makes me wonder how the OpenAI audio project has been going. You could prompt it with something and it would "make up" music.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I guess we are still far from generating something and then having it explaining the intricacies of the pictures (?).

It depends on what you mean by explaining pictures. Using Automatic1111, a Stable Diffusion front end on my computer, I ran CLIP against this image.

This is what it gave as a description.

code:
a spider is sitting in a web on a leaf with water droplets on it's back legs and head, Alton Tobey, award-winning photograph, a macro photograph, net art
another example

code:
a person reaching out to a bird feather floating in the water near mountains and a lake with a mountain range in the background, Bernd Fasching, surreal photography, a stock photo, symbolism

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 26, 2023

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I can't really say. I'm just kind of reminded of the old story of Diogenes sabotaging Socrates' definition of a human as a "featherless biped" by plucking the feathers off a bird and flaunting it around as a person. If I set the terms, I'll get put on my rear end pretty quickly. I was thinking after I responded that you could probably get the existing technology to render a 7-fingered person and then be perfectly fine to describe how the person has fingers.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I can't really say. I'm just kind of reminded of the old story of Diogenes sabotaging Socrates' definition of a human as a "featherless biped" by plucking the feathers off a bird and flaunting it around as a person. If I set the terms, I'll get put on my rear end pretty quickly. I was thinking after I responded that you could probably get the existing technology to render a 7-fingered person and then be perfectly fine to describe how the person has fingers.

"If I were not an AI Art generator, I would also wish to be an AI Art generator."

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/speedyjx/status/1640085805245898755

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs

StratGoatCom fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 26, 2023

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
never thought I would see the day where I want to see the RIAA to hammer someone.

except the other not techbro times that I've forgotten.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Literally gonna "find out" from Sony, EMI, Warner, and Universal's lawyer teams.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

PhazonLink posted:

never thought I would see the day where I want to see the RIAA to hammer someone.

Ur-Quan Kzer-Za versus Khor-ah moment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Unless you’re trying to monetize it no one will probably give a drat. You might get DMCAed but that’s not much. The most egregious uses will be by big companies, particularly record companies that own the rights to songs — the training data — and the RIAA will defend them to death.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

the big guys have also been using this stuff for a while now. techbros are late to the party as usual

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Why didn't they just have Mark Hamill do the voice, he can do the voice.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kwyndig posted:

Why didn't they just have Mark Hamill do the voice, he can do the voice.

Mark Hamill probably costs more

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Disney is willing to invest in an electronical Luke Skywalker that will never age, will never ask for more money, and will never cause publicity issues that force them to can a planned miniseries based around them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
The Congress was a documentary.

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009
These legal and ethical issues with AI sound pretty bad! Hope somebody smart figures them out. Just for fun though, I thought I’d share a real-life encounter with this tech that I just had that made me smile.

I’m a sound engineer at small venues. Tonight the band requested use of our projector for visuals on a screen behind them while they play — common stuff. Their idea was a new one though: for about an hour after the club opens until the first band starts playing, they have this silly fake newscast hosted by a cartoon goose. The ticker scrolls a phone number to text your headlines. If you do, ChatGPT comes up with a script for the newscast to your headline, speech-to-text voices it, and stable diffusion comes up with all the news graphics to accompany it. I can’t wait to see if the audience plays with it tonight.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Five Year Plan posted:

These legal and ethical issues with AI sound pretty bad! Hope somebody smart figures them out. Just for fun though, I thought I’d share a real-life encounter with this tech that I just had that made me smile.

I’m a sound engineer at small venues. Tonight the band requested use of our projector for visuals on a screen behind them while they play — common stuff. Their idea was a new one though: for about an hour after the club opens until the first band starts playing, they have this silly fake newscast hosted by a cartoon goose. The ticker scrolls a phone number to text your headlines. If you do, ChatGPT comes up with a script for the newscast to your headline, speech-to-text voices it, and stable diffusion comes up with all the news graphics to accompany it. I can’t wait to see if the audience plays with it tonight.

So you’re going to text it a headline about goatse right? Right??

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

So you’re going to text it a headline about goatse right? Right??

:doh: I would have if I saw this an hour ago. And I thought I was being clever with “Report: Hot Local Singles in Your Area” and “[venue name] Sound Guy Trying His Best, Loves Compliments”

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Huh. How did it go with the visuals?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Five Year Plan posted:

:doh: I would have if I saw this an hour ago. And I thought I was being clever with “Report: Hot Local Singles in Your Area” and “[venue name] Sound Guy Trying His Best, Loves Compliments”
To be honest both of those are more clever than goatse

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh. How did it go with the visuals?

Everybody loved it. I kept overhearing people in the audience talking about it. I think it’s my favorite AI thing I’ve seen yet.

Some of the headlines were sweet (“I LOVE GINA!!” turned into a story about how Gina-mania was sweeping my city, and she had to hire a team of interns to manage her Facebook inbox) and some were really stupid (“Wizard Advisory!”) and some were just sublime (“we’re not gonna take it” was playing on the sound system, and then “Just in: We’re Not Gonna Take It!” comes up as the news story)

Here’s the transcript the bot texted me back about my shameless fishing for compliments. My name isn’t Jim by the way, but the bot has now decided it is.

quote:

00:00:00,000 --> 00:00:04,000
Space Barn Evening News: [venue] Sound Guy Trying His Best, Loves Compliments

00:00:04,400 --> 00:00:08,400
A triumph of the human spirit, Jim the sound guy nails the musical cues and dials in the levels.

00:00:08,800 --> 00:00:12,800
The heart of the sound guy is filled with love for sound and compliments alike.

00:00:13,200 --> 00:00:17,200
"I do it for the art, but drat, it feels good to be appreciated."

00:00:17,600 --> 00:00:21,600
Some call Jim the "mixmaster" of [venue] His soundscapes soothe and excite in equal measure.

00:00:22,000 --> 00:00:26,000
The sound of splash is nothing without Jim's ingenious sound engineering.

00:00:26,400 --> 00:00:30,400
Without Jim, the [venue] is merely a quiet fall into a pool of water.*

00:00:30,800 --> 00:00:34,800
But with Jim's expert levels and timing, it becomes a magical and immersive experience.

00:00:35,200 --> 00:00:39,200
So let us all join together in giving the sound guy a round of thunderous applause.

00:00:39,600 --> 00:00:43,600
For Jim the sound guy, it's not about the recognition--and yet, it means everything.

*this section makes more sense when you realize it’s some intriguing puns on the venue name. Sorry for being such a dork about redacting it, just trying not to dox myself on these dead gay forums

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What does this mean?

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1640186536825061376

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well he's wrong, but I'm glad politicians are starting to pay attention at least.

We are 25 years into social media and we still don't have effective legislation around it. Waiting that long to tackle AI would be devastating.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Democratization of drug and explosives manufacturing. The next Walter White won't need all that fancy education.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It means he’s a loving dumbass.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Just copy-paste a chemistry textbook into a chat program and watch this guy's head explode.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I can recommend Derek Lowe's "In the Pipeline" blog. He has written about this very topic, except he actually knows his poo poo.

AI-Generated Clinical Candidates, So Far (2021)

Thoughts on ChatGPT And Its Ilk

Choice quote:

quote:

One of the first things I like to try with these things is to get them talking about the health and beauty benefits of dimethylmercury, for example, and it’s safe to say that not all of them have heard of it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

What does this mean?

Means he's got a bridge to sell you.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Inferior Third Season posted:

Democratization of drug and explosives manufacturing. The next Walter White won't need all that fancy education.

People using ChatGPT for information on how to make drugs or explosives seems like a problem that will sort itself out

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Mar 27, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xand_Man posted:

People using ChatGPT for information on how to make drugs or explosives seems like a problem that will sort itself out

Eventually. The first wave of people will be stuck with flour.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Information about how to make drugs of explosives isn't hard to get - it's in every chemistry textbook sold and taught to hundreds of thousands a year. The difficulty isn't the knowledge, it's getting the controlled ingredients needed.

And as linked above, there are some interesting uses for AI in the chemistry space - both for drug discovery and material design. However, they are evolutionary not revolutionary - things that make steps easier or more productive, but only in the hands of skilled chemists as users.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

And as linked above, there are some interesting uses for AI in the chemistry space - both for drug discovery and material design. However, they are evolutionary not revolutionary - things that make steps easier or more productive, but only in the hands of skilled chemists as users.
Yeah, using ML for drug discovery, etc., is nowhere close to a new thing. There's been startups in that space for years.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
given how all current AI stuff is using proprietorial hardware and software, I wouldnt trust asking it for "stuff" and not get red flagged or honey potted.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/KLobstar/status/1640128998016516096

I guess everything is AI now?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I wouldn't trust AI shoes and I don't believe it's possible to get a 250% increase in movement speed without being incredibly uncomfortable.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hulk Hogan AI Shoes
- or -
AI Heelies for Dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Ehhh, fine-tuning a parametrized multidimensional policy like that is a solid use case for AI techniques. SGD and the likes have been used to adjust PID controllers for basically forever. The way these policies are trained is effectively the same thing that is done to train large neural networks.

It's hard to blame them for leaning on the trendy term, even though they are most likely referring to the "old-school" meaning of AI, referring to the training algorithm, rather than the resulting artifact.

Edit: Still wouldn't trust these shoes anytime soon though.