Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Weebly posted:

Nyuk nyuk nyuk- Curly

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

credburn posted:

What's a curly quote?

Typewriters only had one key to to print both opening (‘) and closing (’) quotation marks, as well as standing in for the apostrophe and the prime (′). The prime’s name may not be familiar, but you will have seen it as the slanted mark sometimes used to denote units of feet or minutes.

Early computers inherited this. ASCII has the APOSTROPHE (') which does all of the above roles, plus the double QUOTATION MARK ("), used for opening quotation marks (“), closing quotation marks (”), double primes (e.g. denoting inches or seconds).

Early computers continued this madness by having a key for the “backtick” (`) and tilde (~), which on a typewriter would both be used by backspacing—which moves the position the next mark will be struck in a space to the left, but does not lift the ink off the paper—and then overstriking to give you like “piñata” or ”crème brûlée”, the latter also demonstrating the circumflex accent, which programmers call the “caret” (^) when used by itself.

These should not exist as distinct glyphs occupying their own position on the screen, and yet, they do. Mercifully, ASCII did not follow typewriter practice in using the same glyph for a lowercase ‘l’ and the numeral ‘1’. Those symbols are confusing in typefaces that mimic typewriters because on most typewriters, they were struck by the same physical piece of metal. Of course they look identical.

Printers (as in, the occupation) also had a bunch of similar glyphs to work with that ASCII condensed to the hyphen‐minus (-), but almost no one cares about these, except perhaps when two of them (--) stand in for em dash (—), which just looks wrong. The em dash gets its name because it is approximately the same width as a Latin letter ‘m’. There is also an en dash, the width of an ‘n’.

The absolute silliest arguments on Wikipedia are over whether things like the Spanish–American War should be typeset with an en dash (–), same width as an ‘n’, or with a hyphen (or hyphen‐minus), a hair shorter. The en dash is correct. It is used for things like a range of numbers, 6–9, or a connexion, like London–Paris.

tl;dr: Unless you’re getting paid to care, just turn on “smart quotes” and let software handle nineteen in twenty cases correctly .

Even professionals gently caress it up all the time with stuff like opening single quotes when they should be using apostrophes (e.g. ’60s decor) or primes (e.g. 10′ pole). These mistakes are a consequence of using “smart quotes”, which assume that anything preceded by a space is intended as a quotation mark and don’t know that primes even exist.

…I’ll have a large Vanilla Frosty®. Thanks.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 02:48 on Mar 27, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Some software gets hosed up if you use curly quotes, such as the patchwork-rear end stuff I need for work, so I immediately disable smartquotes. I don't need my letter returning error messages because I drafted an additional comment in word and pasted it in. Sorry if the double prime isn't curly enough for you.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Platystemon posted:

The prime’s name may not be familiar, but you will have seen it as the slanted mark sometimes used to denote units of feet or minutes.

Thanks. This was very interesting and I learned a new thing.

That will be $2.20 at the second window.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Baron von Eevl posted:

Some software gets hosed up if you use curly quotes, such as the patchwork-rear end stuff I need for work, so I immediately disable smartquotes. I don't need my letter returning error messages because I drafted an additional comment in word and pasted it in. Sorry if the double prime isn't curly enough for you.

You are cursed.

You cannot unlearn this knowledge, and it will bother you for the rest of your days.

Maybe they’ll gently caress up your tombstone.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Platystemon posted:

misc. typographical absurdities

Aha! That's why our ancient typewriter doesn't have a "1" key. Minor mystery solved.
Now can you tell us why in page numbers, particularly in older books, the numerals are all wonky heights?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

You are cursed.

You cannot unlearn this knowledge, and it will bother you for the rest of your days.

What if I told you... I wouldn't care at that point

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tree Bucket posted:

Aha! That's why our ancient typewriter doesn't have a "1" key. Minor mystery solved.
Now can you tell us why in page numbers, particularly in older books, the numerals are all wonky heights?

Those are text figures.

They’ve fallen out of use generally, with “lining figures” used by almost everyone anymore.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 04:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Platystemon posted:

Here Lies

p'eperony and
"cheese"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Here Lies

p'eperony and
"cheese"

You’ve got to earn a nickname so that they can get it wrong, unless you have a fantasy first name or an Irish last name with an apostrophe.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I wonder about the stonemason who was commissioned to carve the tombstones for Edith Tolkien and JRR Tolkien. "Luthien? With a what over the letter i????"

Platystemon posted:

Those are text figures.

They’ve fallen out of use generally, with “lining figures” used by almost everyone anymore.

Thanks!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Platystemon posted:

You are cursed.

This isn't the PYF Important Pictures thread

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yep, I do a lot of data migration at work, besides date formatting issues, the most common problem is some piece of software not being able to parse smart quotes or n/m dashes.
They're not even part of the standard latin-1 UTF-8 encoding. Depend on the task they'll either get converted to straight quotes or just outright deleted to make the migration go smoothly.

Avoid smart quotes if you don't want your text randomly garbled by software.

TwoDayLife has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Mar 27, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Anyway, the important thing is to double space after every full-stop.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I have a couple of friends who have matching rings that they submitted for engraving with a “<3” for a heart, but the less than sign got turned into a question mark.

🤣

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
"""IMPORTANT"""

We have had lots of reports about forms using incorrect punctuation. Make sure all your TPS's are correctly signed and do not use any errant capital comma's

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why I would never!

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Anyway, the important thing is to double space after every full-stop.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Buncha goons getting salty about punctuation in this thread, are you all on your periods?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lobok posted:

Buncha goons getting salty about punctuation in this thread, are you all on your periods?

Punctuation pedantry is dumb as hell but what does this mean?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Typewriters only had one key to to print both opening (‘) and closing (’) quotation marks, as well as standing in for the apostrophe and the prime (′). The prime’s name may not be familiar, but you will have seen it as the slanted mark sometimes used to denote units of feet or minutes.

Early computers inherited this. ASCII has the APOSTROPHE (') which does all of the above roles, plus the double QUOTATION MARK ("), used for opening quotation marks (“), closing quotation marks (”), double primes (e.g. denoting inches or seconds).

Early computers continued this madness by having a key for the “backtick” (`) and tilde (~), which on a typewriter would both be used by backspacing—which moves the position the next mark will be struck in a space to the left, but does not lift the ink off the paper—and then overstriking to give you like “piñata” or ”crème brûlée”, the latter also demonstrating the circumflex accent, which programmers call the “caret” (^) when used by itself.

These should not exist as distinct glyphs occupying their own position on the screen, and yet, they do. Mercifully, ASCII did not follow typewriter practice in using the same glyph for a lowercase ‘l’ and the numeral ‘1’. Those symbols are confusing in typefaces that mimic typewriters because on most typewriters, they were struck by the same physical piece of metal. Of course they look identical.

Printers (as in, the occupation) also had a bunch of similar glyphs to work with that ASCII condensed to the hyphen‐minus (-), but almost no one cares about these, except perhaps when two of them (--) stand in for em dash (—), which just looks wrong. The em dash gets its name because it is approximately the same width as a Latin letter ‘m’. There is also an en dash, the width of an ‘n’.

The absolute silliest arguments on Wikipedia are over whether things like the Spanish–American War should be typeset with an en dash (–), same width as an ‘n’, or with a hyphen (or hyphen‐minus), a hair shorter. The en dash is correct. It is used for things like a range of numbers, 6–9, or a connexion, like London–Paris.

tl;dr: Unless you’re getting paid to care, just turn on “smart quotes” and let software handle nineteen in twenty cases correctly .

Even professionals gently caress it up all the time with stuff like opening single quotes when they should be using apostrophes (e.g. ’60s decor) or primes (e.g. 10′ pole). These mistakes are a consequence of using “smart quotes”, which assume that anything preceded by a space is intended as a quotation mark and don’t know that primes even exist.

Imagine spending your life becoming the go to guy for this, then like 3 people knowing what the gently caress you’re talking about

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Imagine spending your life becoming the go to guy for this, then like 3 people knowing what the gently caress you’re talking about

That's called job security, my friend.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

It means we should probably bring this conversation to a full stop.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Comma on, man.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The presses deafened you and gave you lead poisoning, and then in 1978 the bosses made your job redundant via computerization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Lobok posted:

Well someone never had a semi colon before.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

syntaxfunction posted:

It might be a pun, I have a feeling in my colon.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Platystemon posted:

The presses deafened you and gave you lead poisoning, and then in 1978 the bosses made your job redundant via computerization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MGjFKs9bnU

This documentary rules. Had no idea the NY Times was basically a lead foundry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Oh yeah and another fun fact about typewriters is that they typically didn’t have an exclamation mark!

You’d have to type a period, backspace, and put down an apostrophe over top of it. Or vice versa, if you were an animal.

This is why the ‘1” and ‘!’ are on the same key! Deluxe typewriters added one key that basic models didn’t have, and it gave you two svelte new glyphs!

The underscore was not used as we use it today, but to underline text via the same general method.

‘+’ was sometimes a slash atop a hyphen.

e: Really important to have those fractions, @, and ¢, though. 🙄

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 07:37 on Mar 27, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

a sexual elk posted:

More than 3. I worked in DTP.

Anyway, just use guillemets for quotation. :smug:

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
code:
\usepackage{csquotes}

code:
\enquote{These \enquote{quotes} are very flexible}
:smugdog:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Hollow Talk posted:

code:
\usepackage{csquotes}

code:
\enquote{These \enquote{quotes} are very flexible}
:smugdog:

Naturally.

:smuggo:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

You cannot unlearn this knowledge

Ha ha ha behold

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tree Bucket posted:

I wonder about the stonemason who was commissioned to carve the tombstones for Edith Tolkien and JRR Tolkien. "Luthien? With a what over the letter i????"

He better not have put any diacritics over the i or else he'll have a barrow-wight to contend with

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

gently caress you

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Antigravitas posted:

gently caress you

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

gently caress you

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Sentient Data posted:

"""IMPORTANT"""

We have had lots of reports about forms using incorrect punctuation. Make sure all your TPS's are correctly signed and do not use any errant capital comma's

Can’t believe EPW is still reporting from alts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Apostrophe apostrophe apostrophe apostrophe apostrophe lizard?