Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CODChimera posted:

a lunar landscape full of mines

Not the kind of mining the moon we imagined for the 21st century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the moon is made of cheese and communism

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

and this thread wants to gently caress it (putin)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

He's right

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

:eyepop:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

donald trump i know you are lurking cspam... reveal yourself

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and this thread wants to gently caress it (moon, its got holes its swiss ok)

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

donald trump i know you are lurking cspam... reveal yourself

its time to reveal myself. ehllo.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"as soon as I was out, or left, or however you want to put it" lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

izagoof posted:

he's still got it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Since the cover got posted before

Как я поехал на войну. Платон Маматов. posted:

I found a little book in Kremenna. It's a picture book for little kids. The point of the book is as follows:

1. The best and oldest friends of Ukrainians are Poles, Turks, Austrians and Germans.

2. The Russians are vicious, stupid, cowardly creatures.

3. brave and beautiful Ukrainians have been successfully killing Russians for a thousand years in a row. Even took Moscow once.

The book is pre-war. People were prepairing in advance.
(from t.me/diomeddog/537, via tgsa)

Как я поехал на войну. Платон Маматов. posted:

(from t.me/diomeddog/549, via tgsa)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

izagoof posted:

lmao

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

its supremely funny when the country whose only accomplishment was to polish german horse cocks for 500 years until the soviets taught them how to read begs you to take them seriously

https://twitter.com/sinnaig/status/1639706809320579072?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

I can fix her

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

PRO_ Республику posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
❗In the new regions the economy will have to be restarted by restoring production capacities and modernising production facilities - Mishustin

Speaking at a report in the State Duma, the Russian Prime Minister reminded that the Russian President had set a task for the Cabinet to bring the new regions up to the all-Russian level in all indicators in eight years.

@PRO_respubliku
(from t.me/PRO_respubliku/18518, via tgsa)
this obviously comes with some big caveats

PRO_ Республику posted:

💰More than 10 investment proposals for long-term leases of coal mining facilities in the DNR have been received from various companies - Minugol and Energy of the Republic

💬"A draft concept for the reform of the DPR's coal industry has been developed. It plans to lease a number of mines with a long-term perspective to investors. There is interest in our mines," the press service of the DPR's Coal and Energy Ministry said, citing the draft of the Russian Energy Ministry.

@PRO_respubliku
(from t.me/PRO_respubliku/18535, via tgsa)

PRO_ Республику posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Government drafts bill on establishment of free economic zone in DNR, LNR, Zaporizhzhya and Kherson regions

❓What preferences are granted to participants of the free economic zone:
✔release from paying the federal part of income tax for 10 years, the regional part - as decided by the subjects, and property tax;
✔release from payment of land tax for 3 years;
✔decrease in insurance contribution rates - 7.6%;
✔procedures of free customs zone.

"All these measures will help attract private investment in the creation of new production facilities and infrastructure renewal, give a new impetus to the construction industry and, of course, ensure growth in agriculture, which can become one of the main drivers of development of the new regions," Mikhail Mishustin noted.

#регионы
(from t.me/PRO_respubliku/18536, via tgsa)

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Mar 27, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
hurray! Neoliberalism for everyone!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Could be worse, they could have been forced to repay IMF loans. Then they'd probably have to start selling rain water too instead of only coal.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Could be worse, they could have been forced to repay IMF loans. Then they'd probably have to start selling rain water too instead of only coal.

Bolivia sold off the right to rain water in the 90s to Bechtel

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

cheating on crimes

so like stealing a dishwasher, then leaving it behind to steal a sexier dishwasher

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It was reported in both the BBC (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-65075952) and Kyiv Independent (https://kyivindependent.com/zelensky-ukraine-cant-start-counteroffensive-yet/) that on 25 March 2023, Zelensky said in an interview with Yomiuri Shimbun (a Japanese newspaper) that "We can't start (the counter-offensive) yet, we can't send our brave soldiers to the front line without tanks, artillery and long-range rockets."

This seems to be counter to what Oleksandr Syrskyi (the commander of Ukraine’s land forces) said on his Telegram channel on 23 March 2023, that “[Russians] are losing significant forces [in Bakhmut] and are running out of energy." and that "Very soon, we will take advantage of this opportunity, as we did in the past near Kyiv, Kharkiv, Balakliya and Kupyansk". (https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/23/europe/bakhmut-ukraine-counter-offensive-intl/index.html)

I've checked the website of Yomiuri Shimbun and I could only find Zelensky being quoted as saying "“We do not have ammunition. For us the situation in the East is not good" (https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/world/europe/20230325-99649/), but there were no quotes of him saying "We can't start the (counter-offensive) yet".

Is anyone able to find any mentions on the Yomiuri Shimbun of Zelensky saying "We can't start the (counter-offensive) yet"?

If not, where did the BBC and Kyiv Independent get that quote from? Could this be deliberate dezinformatsia being promulgated by the Ukrainian high command to confuse the Russian commanders?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A missed opportunity to promote a "100% renewable powered" arm factory. Such a shame. Tut tut. If only they'd built more windmills, if only!

Base load power? I don't understand is that a command and conquer reference?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Slavvy posted:

This is every army in every war ever, we just have unprecedented access to real-time lols now

Yeah, what's that quote about war being a series of mistakes and disasters that continues until one side wins lol.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

russia making strategic decisions based on what people say on twitter seems dumb so thats probably what is happening yeah

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

russia making strategic decisions based on what people say on twitter seems dumb so thats probably what is happening yeah

I can see it being a form of projection from The West (tm).

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Impossible. This thread was saying this city would fall any day now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Lostconfused posted:

Since the cover got posted before

(from t.me/diomeddog/537, via tgsa)

(from t.me/diomeddog/549, via tgsa)

what always gets me with the cover here is the conspicuous absence of a flag from one of these warriors

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mila kunis posted:

Impossible. This thread was saying this city would fall any day now

The whole point of that former city is to allow The Borderlands to send in fresh men and materials so the Russians with their pre-ranged artillery can say hello.

Having it fall would require a new target and thus re-sighting the guns. What a hassle.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Nothing anyone coulda done about this. Good thing Merkel envisioned Minsk 2 as temporary diversion before restarting the war

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1640249858522062848

A massive strike in Germany was set to begin early Monday, crippling mass transport and airports in one of the biggest walkouts in decades as Europe's largest economy reels from soaring inflation.

In the hours running up to the strike, both sides dug in their heels, with union bosses warning that considerable pay hikes were a "matter of survival" for thousands of workers and management calling demands and the resulting action "completely excessive".

The strikes, which were scheduled to mainly start just after midnight and affect services throughout Monday, are the latest in months of industrial action that has hit major European economies as higher food and energy prices dent living standards.

Germany, which was heavily dependent on Russia for gas before the war in Ukraine, has been particularly hard hit by higher inflation as it scrambled for new energy sources, with inflation rates exceeding the euro-area average in recent months

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder how many people are going to pick up on their "survival" being "excessive".

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

poor european defense industry, thought of cat videos and died

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Al-Saqr posted:

its supremely funny when the country whose only accomplishment was to polish german horse cocks for 500 years until the soviets taught them how to read begs you to take them seriously

https://twitter.com/sinnaig/status/1639706809320579072?s=46&t=kY7HKwmb1RBg9U186lxtbg

Estonia and Latvia was protestant as it was for a good chunk of history part of the mandatory protestant Swedish Empire, and by terms of surrender was allowed to keep their faith after being conquered by the Russian Empire. So their adult literacy was very high (like 80%-90% at the end of the 19th century) compared to their neighboring non protestant countries as protestantism put a great emphasis on the importance of being able to read and understand the bible to ensure that one understood the word of god.

I have no doubt that literacy increased during Soviet times but it was from a much higher starting point due to historical factors.

So the part about soviets teaching them how to read is not really true. I don't know about the horse cock thing but they have have been in association with Indo-European groups for at least 3 millenia so I assume you have good sources that they adopted their practices too.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Zudgemud posted:

So the part about soviets teaching them how to read is not really true. I don't know about the horse cock thing but they have have been in association with Indo-European groups for at least 3 millenia so I assume you have good sources that they adopted their practices too.

to be fair the original tweet said they were elevated to sapience by the ussr, you don’t need to be sapient to regurgitate protestantism.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

yeah, well Putin is the REAL homosexual weirdo

slava ukraini

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DancingShade posted:

That person thought it was a good idea to go on record saying that.

A good example of the EU "elite" mentality. They're not soon to be impoverished nations, they're just aristocrats about to live modest lives.

I can't find this record fwiw. unless this counts as a record
Estonia's prime minister asked Russians not to make fun of anti-Russian sanctions online

quote:

Estonian prime minister asked Russians to take anti-Russian sanctions more seriously

March 25 -- SM.News. The Prime Minister of Estonia has asked our country's residents to show respect for the sanctions against them, which take a huge amount of energy and time for European officials to work through.

Kallas complained that Russian citizens allow themselves(!) to joke about sanctions online...

"They openly mock our work. I really ask them to take it seriously and show some respect," said the prime minister.

The official has not yet revealed how much the European Union is tired of working out plans to dismember Russia.

Most likely, the Estonian prime minister's next request will be, "Don't laugh at my requests! They take so much emotion!"

It's hard to believe that we are hearing such a statement from a head of state and not a stand-up comedian.

It seems that the processes of degradation in Western society are far more serious than anyone in Russia has ever seen. The virtual reality of informational lies created in Europe and the USA generates such mishaps.

Unfortunately, Western lies also produce far worse consequences.

"The author's opinion may not coincide with the opinion of the editorial board." Especially if it's a clickbait. You can write a complaint.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zudgemud posted:

Estonia and Latvia was protestant as it was for a good chunk of history part of the mandatory protestant Swedish Empire, and by terms of surrender was allowed to keep their faith after being conquered by the Russian Empire. So their adult literacy was very high (like 80%-90% at the end of the 19th century) compared to their neighboring non protestant countries as protestantism put a great emphasis on the importance of being able to read and understand the bible to ensure that one understood the word of god.

I have no doubt that literacy increased during Soviet times but it was from a much higher starting point due to historical factors.

i was being really mean and hyperbolic and using insults i found in this funny video

https://youtu.be/RBQ0WToKvQ4

i apologize, im sure estonians are nice folk and i look forward to seeing historic talinn one of these days

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Brendan Fraser plays a really great Estonian man - really shows how advanced they actually were

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I am still not seeing any big push from the Ukrainians being backed up by other sources, if anything it seems like mostly just the Russians moving closer in a couple areas but no real big changes besides them taking the main buildings of the metal plant.

Also, supposedly that area around Spartak wasn't given up by the Ukrainians in the first place or at very least was in a no-man's land.

It seems like a lot of random boasts at the moment...usually not a good sign.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:44 on Mar 27, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ok I now believe the Estonian PM may have said that or really anything
Brussels can’t keep easterners from top jobs forever, Estonian PM says

www.politico.eu posted:

For now, Kallas’ focus in Brussels is on ensuring the EU doesn’t relent in its support for Ukraine and its campaign to isolate Russia. A key part of that strategy is the EU’s upcoming plan to jointly purchase ammunition for Kyiv — an elemental shift for the self-described peace project.

Kallas put the idea to her fellow EU leaders during a February summit in Brussels. The proposal, she said, came from talking with her staff and defense executives who said “they were not doubling their production because they don’t have any orders. And we see on the other side that Russia is working in three shifts.”

The plan commits to providing Ukraine with 1 million rounds of ammunition over the next 12 months, setting aside €2 billion for the effort.

Kallas compared the scheme to the EU’s collective purchase of COVID vaccines. She argued that similarities between the two efforts allowed the bloc to move swiftly — the ammo blueprint came together in about five weeks, lightning speed by EU standards.

That doesn’t mean there wasn’t any arm-twisting. Two diplomats, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive negotiations, said German Chancellor Olaf Scholz was initially hesitant when Kallas raised the idea in February. But Kallas pushed back on the characterization.

“No, it wasn’t that direct,” she said, stressing that Germany had merely noted it had already put in orders to defense firms. “Everybody was quite open about this … and Germany, as well.”

Still, she admitted to sending some fellow EU leaders WhatsApp messages stressing the situation’s urgency.

“I have learned a lot during these two years that I’ve been in the European Council,” she said. “Before I became a politician, I was a lawyer. And in private practice, everything moves really quick. … Then I went to politics, and things take longer.”

With a blueprint now in place, Kallas is bullish the EU can meet its self-imposed ammunition deadline. And beyond the €2 billion push, Kallas didn’t refrain from thinking out loud about how to fund a broader expansion of the EU’s defense industry. One thought was to exclude countries’ defense spending from the EU’s strict budgetary rule. Another: Explore the contentious idea of “defense bonds” — essentially debt that governments issue to help finance military expenditures.

But she wasn’t ready to offer her fellow EU leaders advice on how to maintain public support for these extraordinary — and expensive — programs to help Ukraine fend off Russian invaders.

“How do you win the hearts and minds of the people? I’m not entirely sure that I know this,” she conceded. “I’ve been in politics less than I’ve been in private practice, and I still feel insecure.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

mawarannahr posted:

ok I now believe the Estonian PM may have said that or really anything
Brussels can’t keep easterners from top jobs forever, Estonian PM says

I am a cisgender gen-x Estonian prime minister who has been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. I am intersectional, but my existence is not a box-checking exercise, I used to struggle with impostor syndrome, but at 45 I refuse to internalize misguided patriarchal ideas of what a woman can or should be.

I am unapologetically me. I want you to be unapologetically you, whoever you are. Whether you work at #CIA, or anywhere else in the world. Command your space. Kaja, you are worth it.