Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Grondoth posted:

I'm pretty sure the Metaverse was already very far along towards death. It was just fundamentally a bad idea

Second Life made by Crypto-Bros was never gonna work. It just wasn't gonna.

The big killer of it, aside from itself, is VRChat existing. All the things Zuckerberg promised as Coming Soon exists right now in VRChat, from working leg rigging (Hell, you can do full-body tracking with tracking pucks) to facial tracking. Shopping? VKET does exhibition worlds a few times a year showcasing real and digital businesses (Mainly Avatar and world creators, and real-world businesses and tourist destinations).

And any time you see Meta Horizons it's the most embarrasingly-simple avatars and worlds, while you try not to laugh as yhey advertise "Being YOURSELF IN VR!!", while over in VRChat people are having a ball being whatever the gently caress they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-mQ3JLt8SQ

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdqrFa6pWLA

Irish Streamer, Drift King, and noted Daisy superfan (:allears:) RTGame, subjected himself to Horizons a while back too, and god it's loving dire. It's so safe and marketed and tepid beyond belief.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Mother's Basement follows up his Let Goku Die video with another hard-hitting subject: is time travel isekai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJAI5m5hBc

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, the people pitching the metaverse fundamentally misunderstood how people actually want to use VR. They don't want a corporate friendly virtual space that they are forced to use for meetings or mandatory employee training. Businesses certainly aren't going to be interested in it either. Its not like they didn't have a prior example of how bad of an idea it would be either with things like Second Life existing.

The entire thing was Mark Zuckerberg getting desperate after Facebook destroyed its reputation and now its only seen as something used by old people.

Maybe things have changed in the interim but I remember, a rough 6-7 years ago, while I was doing a communications degree businesses were very much interested in the idea of VR and virtual spaces. Specifically the idea that you could create spaces that could bridge the gap between physical spaces such as different office locations.

Imagine not needing the logistics for world-wide store redesigns, instead having customers just walk through a single, real-world location, streamed directly to their VR headset.
Imagine being able to get the entire workforce around the world all together in one virtual conference room.
Imagine having somebody remote call into a meeting and then seeing their AR avatar in one of the chairs in the meeting room.
The possibilities are endless...

There's a sizeable part of the corporate world, mostly concentrated in middle management, PR, HR, and marketing, that just lives for this kind of highfalutin make-belief of constantly telling each other how they're going to create some kind of magical techno-utopia within the confines of the corporate setting. These are the kinds of people all of those credulous Fortune and Bloomberg articles are aimed at.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It does however run head first into management using in-person office spaces as a proxy for friends.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The reason the models in Facebook's meta thing don't have legs is because, instead of animating the movement normally, they were trying to train an AI to QWOP the legs. Truly the best people are working on these products

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

The reason the models in Facebook's meta thing don't have legs is because, instead of animating the movement normally, they were trying to train an AI to QWOP the legs. Truly the best people are working on these products

say sike please

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sydin posted:

The whole crypto space in general is just a gigantic speculative bubble propped up by a grift ouroboros and a base of diehard suckers who refuse to admit they were taken for a ride to the bitter end. I would feel bad for the true believers but at this point if you're still somehow clinging onto crypto you're either a bag holder or an absolute loving moron.

There is certainly something to be said for an 'industry' where an actual term has been coined for 'whoops got conned and lost everything' where it is not only common but on some level expected but like a reverse lottery you play because deep down you think it won't happen to you.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

It was a fun watch, but even within the video itself Dan talks about how the place is a ghost town, abandoned by marking companies and speculators. Decentraland is already on the far side of the bubble, with only a few desperate or deluded rubes still clinging to the grift. Like, when your highest estimate for daily player count is about on part with a third-rate Steam game, things have gotten dire. It is—as the title states—a dead mall.

This isn't a takedown video, it's an epitath.

DDO puts out more content than Decentraland, too.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZhdpLXZ8Q
Lets see if Folding Ideas can crash another dumb thing.
I watched the whole thing and the point that Dan never talks about and as far as I've seen nobody has mentioned is that Second Life was already a thing. Literally every pie in the sky promise and every 'here's how to make money in our game' trick that was mentioned in Decentraland is just the same as what happened with Second Life. Second Life already existed and apparently still exists; you can log in to someone's internet cul de sac and 'buy' 'land' and 'rent it out' to ''businesses' already. Why is everyone acting like this is some grand new vision?

Law and Order made an episode all about Second Life (that was one of the all time most incredible things on television) sixteen years ago.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdqrFa6pWLA

Irish Streamer, Drift King, and noted Daisy superfan (:allears:) RTGame, subjected himself to Horizons a while back too, and god it's loving dire. It's so safe and marketed and tepid beyond belief.

That ending though, is amazing-

https://twitter.com/RTGameCrowd/status/1585745942724370432

The stock crashed DURING the stream.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

NorgLyle posted:

I watched the whole thing and the point that Dan never talks about and as far as I've seen nobody has mentioned is that Second Life was already a thing. Literally every pie in the sky promise and every 'here's how to make money in our game' trick that was mentioned in Decentraland is just the same as what happened with Second Life. Second Life already existed and apparently still exists; you can log in to someone's internet cul de sac and 'buy' 'land' and 'rent it out' to ''businesses' already. Why is everyone acting like this is some grand new vision?

Law and Order made an episode all about Second Life (that was one of the all time most incredible things on television) sixteen years ago.

Second Life is not "decentralized" in the way these dweebs want. It all operates on behalf of and at the whim of Linden Labs, who mint a fiat currency and are the ultimate landlords of the entire operation. The appeal of decentraland, to these guys, is to get in on the ground floor of a landlording/passive income pyramid scheme.

To make good passive income money on Second Life you need to sell actual products that demanded creative work - clothing, sex toys, sex toy clothing - to design and implement. In the idealized Decentraland, making a Bitcoin investment today is like buying the island of Manhattan.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Clerical Terrors posted:

Maybe things have changed in the interim but I remember, a rough 6-7 years ago, while I was doing a communications degree businesses were very much interested in the idea of VR and virtual spaces. Specifically the idea that you could create spaces that could bridge the gap between physical spaces such as different office locations.

Imagine not needing the logistics for world-wide store redesigns, instead having customers just walk through a single, real-world location, streamed directly to their VR headset.
Imagine being able to get the entire workforce around the world all together in one virtual conference room.
Imagine having somebody remote call into a meeting and then seeing their AR avatar in one of the chairs in the meeting room.

There's a sizeable part of the corporate world, mostly concentrated in middle management, PR, HR, and marketing, that just lives for this kind of highfalutin make-belief of constantly telling each other how they're going to create some kind of magical techno-utopia within the confines of the corporate setting. These are the kinds of people all of those credulous Fortune and Bloomberg articles are aimed at.

I meant in actual practice. Like sure they love to talk about doing such a thing, but how many businesses would actually going to follow through, especially when they realize the effort and cost to actually implement such a thing with any sort of actual quality. They sure as heck aren't going to want to pay for VR headsets for all their employees.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
All of those VR companies just saw the Black Mirror episode and thought "wow, cool future" without actually sympathizing with the people who suffered because of it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DeafNote posted:

All of those VR companies just saw the Black Mirror episode and thought "wow, cool future" without actually sympathizing with the people who suffered because of it.
A corporation is, by its very nature, not capable of sympathy or empathy.

In other news, water is wet.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

He has been touching the poop in memestock subreddits :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Clerical Terrors posted:

That's still the preceived target market for the business side of Meta Horizons. A market that's sure not biting, and not even Horizon's staff are dogfooding, which should tell you a lot about how non-existent the use case is. And how buggy Horizons is as well.

They've pivoted slightly to "Hey Middle Managers; Now you can look over your remote worker's shoulders while they work from home, just like they're in the office!" as well as scrutinizing their underlings behaviour in meetings though, to adapt to modern work environments.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shinji2015 posted:

Mother's Basement follows up his Let Goku Die video with another hard-hitting subject: is time travel isekai?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsJAI5m5hBc

As far as I can remember, the "Isekai"-genre is defined by protagonists getting displaced somehow into a different world. And since that's already fairly generic, diluting it further by now postulating a somehow metaphorical Isekai where being transplanted into a different culture in the past is just like traveling to another world, would end up completely destroying all sense of labeling. After that point, everything is Isekai.

Hey, last year I traveled through a city in a different part of the country, with a slightly different culture. That's then Isekai, too!

Anyway, no not as far as we know.

Howeve, I only made this post to talk about time travel!

See, current consensus among physicists is that time travel is impossible. If you look over this little fact, hypothetical time travel would fall into several different categories, depending on how exactly our universe is made up in details:

1.) There's just one universe* and one time line. If time travel is possible, you can only move back and forth along that line. In this case, time travel is not Isekai, as the traveler never leaves their world.

2.) There are multiple universes*, but all of them with a recognizable set of physics that allows for something resembling a human being to enter it without ceasing to exist immediately will also have entropy, therefore a singular time line you can only travel back and forth on. Again, time travel is not Iseakai.

3.) There are multiple universes* and travel between them is possible, but time travel is impossible. In this case, you get the case of infinity being a bitch and there also being countless versions of our own universe, with just slight differences, mixed in with all the exotic stuff like universes made out of cake or chairs. These differences can also include differences in the rate entropy occurs, and hypothetically, this means you can end up with two universes where the only difference is that Universe A is at March 22, 2023 today and Universe B is at June 14, 1522. If now a protagonist travels from Universe A to Universe B, they have travelled in time but also into a different, alien world. They are now an Isekai protagonist.

And there you have it! Except for highly unlikely Bizarro-Time Travel like under 3.), time travel is not an Isekai.

*Physicsts in general and except for a minority that is often treated like nutjobs by the majority, don't like talk about the multiverse, since as long as some idiot isn't suddenly stumbling into Narnia in his closet, we can't and most likely can't ever interact with hypothetical different universes. Likewise, from what we know of how the universe works currently, it's possible that the flow of entropy and with it time can be reversed, but that only works if you reverse the flow of entropy. In other words, we wouldn't notice if time flowed backwards because everything would continue exactly the same as before, e.g. people get born, grow up and then die.

This means in practical terms, our dumb universe doesn't allow for time travel, except for the slow and boring way we all do each day.

Funnily enough, with time travel, FTL and multiple universes all being different kinds of impossible, the true answer to "Is time travel Isekai?" depends on your personal set of beliefs, as you left science behind as soon as you asked the question.

Personally, I started with "No", as my answer, but while writing this out and thinking about things, I eventually reached the opposite shore: Our universe is loving boring, let's just go for it! My answer is now yes.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

I honestly thought its because they were trying to avoid any furry anime sex stuff to keep the normies on board.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Violet_Sky posted:

I honestly thought its because they were trying to avoid any furry anime sex stuff to keep the normies on board.

Nah, it's all about capturing "you". Biometric health extrapolation, looking at advertisements and how long, general opinions, all that fun marketable privacy-breaching metadata

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Time travel isn’t isekai because the goal is almost always to get back home to their original time, while in isekai literally the only thing that matters about the original world is the grille of a truck.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Libluini posted:

As far as I can remember, the "Isekai"-genre is defined by protagonists getting displaced somehow into a different world. And since that's already fairly generic, diluting it further by now postulating a somehow metaphorical Isekai where being transplanted into a different culture in the past is just like traveling to another world, would end up completely destroying all sense of labeling. After that point, everything is Isekai.

Hey, last year I traveled through a city in a different part of the country, with a slightly different culture. That's then Isekai, too!

Anyway, no not as far as we know.

Howeve, I only made this post to talk about time travel!

See, current consensus among physicists is that time travel is impossible. If you look over this little fact, hypothetical time travel would fall into several different categories, depending on how exactly our universe is made up in details:

1.) There's just one universe* and one time line. If time travel is possible, you can only move back and forth along that line. In this case, time travel is not Isekai, as the traveler never leaves their world.

2.) There are multiple universes*, but all of them with a recognizable set of physics that allows for something resembling a human being to enter it without ceasing to exist immediately will also have entropy, therefore a singular time line you can only travel back and forth on. Again, time travel is not Iseakai.

3.) There are multiple universes* and travel between them is possible, but time travel is impossible. In this case, you get the case of infinity being a bitch and there also being countless versions of our own universe, with just slight differences, mixed in with all the exotic stuff like universes made out of cake or chairs. These differences can also include differences in the rate entropy occurs, and hypothetically, this means you can end up with two universes where the only difference is that Universe A is at March 22, 2023 today and Universe B is at June 14, 1522. If now a protagonist travels from Universe A to Universe B, they have travelled in time but also into a different, alien world. They are now an Isekai protagonist.

And there you have it! Except for highly unlikely Bizarro-Time Travel like under 3.), time travel is not an Isekai.

*Physicsts in general and except for a minority that is often treated like nutjobs by the majority, don't like talk about the multiverse, since as long as some idiot isn't suddenly stumbling into Narnia in his closet, we can't and most likely can't ever interact with hypothetical different universes. Likewise, from what we know of how the universe works currently, it's possible that the flow of entropy and with it time can be reversed, but that only works if you reverse the flow of entropy. In other words, we wouldn't notice if time flowed backwards because everything would continue exactly the same as before, e.g. people get born, grow up and then die.

This means in practical terms, our dumb universe doesn't allow for time travel, except for the slow and boring way we all do each day.

Funnily enough, with time travel, FTL and multiple universes all being different kinds of impossible, the true answer to "Is time travel Isekai?" depends on your personal set of beliefs, as you left science behind as soon as you asked the question.

Personally, I started with "No", as my answer, but while writing this out and thinking about things, I eventually reached the opposite shore: Our universe is loving boring, let's just go for it! My answer is now yes.
time travel is isekai if it indulges in the same general story structure. at its core it's a fish out of water story by way of power fantasy, where your life in the new world is a ridiculous improvement over the previous one. that doesn't apply to ALL portal fantasy (like El Hazard or w/e) but it's a general formula that is easy to understand. i don't worry about things like "does it have RPG stats?" because we are at the point now where isekai characters remarking that they've been isekaied is incredibly rote. you just hope at this point that slavery doesn't show up

but under that umbrella, Inyuasha i think is definitely an isekai... for starters, it's not even actual history but like fantasy magic demon stuff, and Kagome does become important and powerful in her new normal, and even after being able to return to the present she prefers to stay in the past. Futurama, on the other hand, probably not an isekai, despite civilization being completely destroyed and rebuilt twice, as Fry's life being no better and no different in the new time period is part of the joke, and occasionally he has only saved the day because he's a moron/loser. and i say that even though he's basically trapped which is a more conventional isekai trope.

i think there has to be some element of "character gets to live out their dream" or "character gets a special ability" or "character is the chosen one" for a show to be isekai regardless of whether it's through reincarnation, being trapped in a VR MMO, traveling through time/space, etc. even Ascendance of a Bookworm, in which the character is reborn in a sickly child's body in a harsh society that rigidly enforces massive class disparity, still has the character getting to live out a dream of writing literature, and she has a completely ridiculous photogenic memory and just conveniently knows the inner workings of all of earth's literature-related inventions. she isn't the 'chosen one' of the world, but she is considered remarkably special by just about everyone she meets.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 27, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
If Inuyasha is ikesai then Mao is too I guess? Does is count if the Kagome equivalent is kinda meh overall?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

He has been touching the poop in memestock subreddits :ohdear:

I'm excited for what eventually comes out, because his posts about the whole memestocks thing have been good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Famethrowa posted:

say sike please

https://decrypt.co/111956/mark-zuckerbergs-meta-metaverse-legs-were-staged

quote:

Zuckerberg explained that Meta will use an artificial intelligence model to predict and depict the positions of a user's whole body.

The demo Zuck gave faked this, using motion capture like almost every video game in existence, but some amount of the tens of billions of dollars Meta has set on fire has gone to trying to make an AI animate legs.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

FuturePastNow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_-gk094-AE

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

Time travel isn’t isekai because the goal is almost always to get back home to their original time, while in isekai literally the only thing that matters about the original world is the grille of a truck.

What, there isn't an isekai where someone with a pretty good life gets got and then spends all their time in fantasy land(tm) trying to get back to their world?

That seems like such an obvious subversion. I'd be shocked if someone hadn't done it already.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They have its called Garzey's Wing. Chris goes to isekai land while having psychic communications with his doppelganger back in the real world to make a plan to get home. Meanwhile his doppelganger has a much better life than Chris does. Fantasy land Chris is stuck dealing with crazy poo poo while real world clone Chris hits on hot girls at the pool.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 27, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm time traveling right now

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Skippy McPants posted:

What, there isn't an isekai where someone with a pretty good life gets got and then spends all their time in fantasy land(tm) trying to get back to their world?

That seems like such an obvious subversion. I'd be shocked if someone hadn't done it already.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is basically this

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

FuturePastNow posted:

https://decrypt.co/111956/mark-zuckerbergs-meta-metaverse-legs-were-staged

The demo Zuck gave faked this, using motion capture like almost every video game in existence, but some amount of the tens of billions of dollars Meta has set on fire has gone to trying to make an AI animate legs.

isn't this a (mostly) solved problem? like outside cutscenes you cant really rely on pre-baked leg animations because sometimes people step on angled surfaces, or stairs. some games don't care about it, which is fine, but there's plenty nowadays that look Fine. and facebooks thing is meant to replicate an office anyway so they could get away with just not caring if we're being honest.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Also, that was Space Jam

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z0wUA4q1yA

tl;dw: You can buy ads using other people's videos and YouTube counts those ad views towards the video's algorithmic ranking so if your ad buy targets an audience you know will hate the video it will get penalized by not being recommended to anyone

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

:hmmyes:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

So where would Again! fit? The protagonist goes back in time, but he treats it as an opportunity to re-do the previous 3 years of his life.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
The discussion of "Is Time Travel Isekai?" really heavily depends on how broadly we're using the term "isekai" when referring to genre. If we're using isekai as being synonymous with portal fantasy as a whole than I think you could make a pretty strong case in favor of it, with the early emergence of the portal fantasy in modern fantasy fiction being closely tied to the emergence of time travel in the same space - A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is generally agreed to be an early influence on the portal fantasy despite being a story whose driving premise relies entirely on time travel.

Things still get a bit ambiguous if we limit our definition of isekai to only apply to the portal fantasy as presented in Japanese mass media of the 20th century, as there are still a number of works that fit into that genre that involve time travel - Inuyasha is probably the most prominent example, though I've definitely seen others including at least one that was a hentai involving an otaku being sent back to caveman times and using his modern knowledge to get it on every cavewoman who wandered into frame, which I think we can all agree is in the spirit of the nerd power fantasy that is commonly associated with isekai in the popular consciousness.

I think it's only if we limit our definition of isekai to the very specific wave of media that came out post-Sword Art Online where the other world the protagonist is reincarnated into is explicitly built around the tropes and conventions of fantasy JRPGs and serves as a means to facilitate nerd power fantasies that the argument is entirely invalid.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DBZ time travel isn't an Isekai but DBS time travel is.

Harder questions: Are Chrono Trigger or DOOM Isekai?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Back to the Future is Isekai for Boomers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is the Nether in Minecraft an Isekai?