Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
And I thought the prices in Sweden weren't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

They're second highest in EU after Germany, IIRC.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They seemed lower than in Finland to me, though mentally I was dividing everything by an even 10.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

At my ica yesterday bell peppers was more expensive per kilo than some sweden-produced fresh meat. It’s bonkers.

140+ Sek/kilo, get ouutta heeere

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I can't remember the last time I bought real meat in a store. My sources of protein the past several years have been chickpeas, falukorv and eggs.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

lilljonas posted:

At my ica yesterday bell peppers was more expensive per kilo than some sweden-produced fresh meat. It’s bonkers.

140+ Sek/kilo, get ouutta heeere

55kr/kg for tomatoes in hemköp. I’m shopping today because I won’t be able to on Sunday, I’m going to go check a few prices out for comparison.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

The staff at ICA have repeatedly told me that they will not haggle over prices and have in fact threatened to ban me if I keep holding up the line arguing about the unit price of Plopp candy bars.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Center clearly superior to Plopp anyway. :colbert:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If customers are the ones deciding the prices then they clearly should knock on that CEO's door and tell him that the price is now "free".

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Center clearly superior to Plopp anyway. :colbert:

Concerning

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Tony's

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hummelgaard floats military service instead of prison for violent offenders. Maybe there's a place for Peter Madsen in the navy?

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2023-03-24-minister-overvejede-at-tilbyde-voldsforbrydere-vaernepligt-i-stedet-for-faengsel

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
lol at this deal

quote:

to måneder i fængsel eller at tage otte-ni måneders værnepligt

Social democrats!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Potrzebie posted:

Let them eat ICA-handlare.
You were already making me think about Hitman whenever you wrote ICA, and now you're talking about ICA handlers??

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Hummelgaard floats military service instead of prison for violent offenders. Maybe there's a place for Peter Madsen in the navy?

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/politik/2023-03-24-minister-overvejede-at-tilbyde-voldsforbrydere-vaernepligt-i-stedet-for-faengsel

I mean, the dude knows both murdering and sub operations. That's navy right there.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

SplitSoul posted:

Taking policy ideas from Wagner Group in 2023. Spicy!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

This quote is something else:

quote:

Lad os sige, at vi står med nogle unge mænd, der er dømt for førstegangsovertrædelser, grov vold eksempelvis. Når nu vi alligevel skal til at have en masse raske unge mænd i trøjen for at ruste os mod russere og kinesere, kunne man så i stedet sige: "Du får valget mellem at afsone to måneder i fængsel eller at tage otte-ni måneders værnepligt i en form, samfundet har brug for."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's honestly not the worst idea, you're giving them a kind of education and career path, while removing them from bad social circumstances probably. Plus hopefully some friends from other places. It's too bad about the whole military bit, but on the whole, it might actually do some good for young gang member types.

But also lol at the idea that we need more men (and women!) in the military, especially at the enlisted level.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

BonHair posted:

But also lol at the idea that we need more men (and women!) in the military, especially at the enlisted level.

To fight the Yellow Peril, of all things.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

THE BAR posted:

It's great that our political establishment is already fully committed to WW3.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

THE BAR posted:

If we assume that the Chinese are somehow going to invade Europe/Denmark, and also assume they will do it with conventional warfare instead of economic stuff and also assume that they will not use nukes or missiles or drones and also assume that they will only be willing to send a tiny fraction of their forces, then yeah, getting more dudes with guns is gonna be great. I think those are all perfectly reasonable accommodations, right?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

It's honestly not the worst idea, you're giving them a kind of education and career path, while removing them from bad social circumstances probably. Plus hopefully some friends from other places. It's too bad about the whole military bit, but on the whole, it might actually do some good for young gang member types.
American gangs use the military as free training, so I'm not sure how clever this really is.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

American gangs use the military as free training, so I'm not sure how clever this really is.

Denmark is not America, luckily. I think your options after military service are a lot better in Denmark than in the USA. And besides, the only thing stopping gang members from signing up for military service today is racism, either from the recruiter or by way of citizenship fuckery. (There are no obstacles for white gang members that I can see)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BonHair posted:

Denmark is not America, luckily. I think your options after military service are a lot better in Denmark than in the USA. And besides, the only thing stopping gang members from signing up for military service today is racism, either from the recruiter or by way of citizenship fuckery. (There are no obstacles for white gang members that I can see)

I dunno about Denmark but in Sweden even volunteering for Hemvärnet requires a background check where everything the government has on you will show up. For simple infantrymen the recruiter has some leeway when it comes to overlooking past encounters with the law, but the military has genuinely tried to get rid of the worst macho culture behaviors in the last 20-30 years or so. The military itself definitely doesn't want gang members, it has enough problems with people joining for the wrong reasons already.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

BonHair posted:

I think your options after military service are a lot better in Denmark than in the USA.
Will they still be when employers start looking at military service as being equivalent to a prison sentence?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This was my first though. Training violent offenders to be better at violence seems like it could backfire somewhat.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

why can't these people ever just suggest having a more meaningful universal military service or something instead of going straight for the "well we have these people who like killing" line of thinking

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
the biggest loss from the Swedish defense policy collapse in the early 2000's wasn't the crippling of the military defense, it was the almost total erasure of the civil defense. the armed forces at least still existed afterwards, while the civil defense planning authorities were for all practical purposes eradicated completely. it was a classic loss of institutional knowledge move: överstyrelsen för civil beredskap became krisberedskapsmyndigheten which then was merged with statens räddningsverk to become myndigheten för samhällsskydd och beredskap, and all of the employees would have had to move from stockholm and/or skellefteå to karlstad to keep what jobs might remain. extremely shortsighted, but we gotta have smaller government though??? m completely ruined their reputation for having a credible defense policy during the reinfeldt years.

sure would have been useful to be prepared for extreme weather and pandemics, huh?

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 26, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That poo poo cost money and you needed to finance tax breaks.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

TheFluff posted:

m completely ruined their reputation for having a credible defense policy during the reinfeldt years.

sure would have been useful to be prepared for extreme weather and pandemics, huh?

Bold of you to assume the people that care about credible defence policy a) give enough of a poo poo (about the reputation of M) and b) are non-partisan enough to not simply go "yes, but something something my taxes tho".

Alternatively blaming brown people, my coworker literally said and seems to believe that "one of the reasons they downsized our defense was because the cost of immigration was rising".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/moderaternas-landsdagar-avslutas-folj-statsministerns-presstraff

M are trying to get Fas 3 rolling again.

We gotta deal with right-wingers trying to do social dumping, giving their corporate overlords free labor paid for by the tax money, just because 1/5th of the country thinks that brown people are icky (or alternatively, if I'm to be generous, because they're stupid enough to believe unrealistic election promises.)

:toot:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Feliday Melody posted:

I am genuinely concerned about expressing my feelings on drug legislation in Sweden. Even the most staunch Swedish leftist could share opinions with a Florida Republican on cannabis. It's a minefield.

The only comfort I can offer is that it's generational. There is a break-even point around age-40.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

That poo poo cost money and you needed to finance tax breaks.

reserve capacity being viewed as inefficency has been a very bad trend

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheFluff posted:

the biggest loss from the Swedish defense policy collapse in the early 2000's wasn't the crippling of the military defense, it was the almost total erasure of the civil defense. the armed forces at least still existed afterwards, while the civil defense planning authorities were for all practical purposes eradicated completely. it was a classic loss of institutional knowledge move: överstyrelsen för civil beredskap became krisberedskapsmyndigheten which then was merged with statens räddningsverk to become myndigheten för samhällsskydd och beredskap, and all of the employees would have had to move from stockholm and/or skellefteå to karlstad to keep what jobs might remain. extremely shortsighted, but we gotta have smaller government though??? m completely ruined their reputation for having a credible defense policy during the reinfeldt years.

yeah the savaging of home guard and civil defence efforts has been noted here as well and it's incredibly irritating.

really our whole defence policy for the past twenty years has been "be valuable enough to the yankees that they will end the world for our sake". so our army becomes a US auxiliary force, our air force buys aircraft almost entirely unsuited to the bulk of the actual work they're going to do (but their strike capabilities are sure going to be useful when the russians occupy some island off finnmark, providing that they don't take out the two airfields capable of supporting them first), the coastal home guard is outright disbanded and even our navy is being slowly turned into something less useful as an actual force for defending the fatherland than as a talon of the american eagle.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

The Swedish military doesn't even want to threaten young men with prison to get them to join (any more) Never mind recruiting the actual criminals that they work so hard to filter out.

To just join the home guard as a rifleman, you need the thumbs up from the Police, your local municipality and SÄPO.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Isn’t it MUST?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i didn't even know this was a thing until literally yesterday:

https://forsvaretsforum.no/forsvarsministeren-spesialstyrke-usa/hemmelig-samarbeid-med-amerikanske-spesialstyrker/281906

quote:

– Veikartet er blitt fulgt opp, og det har vært mye aktivitet, sier pressevakt Ann Kristin Salbuvik i Forsvarsdepartementet.

Hun legger til at det er gradert hemmelig hva samarbeidet innebærer og hva slags aktivitet det er snakk om. Det er også teksten som ble signert 16. november 2021.

love to have an unknown number of drug-addled murderious foreigners roaming the country with complete immunity and the full support of my governement doing god only knows what

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ica-sanker-priser-pa-hundratals-varor

where is that nudnik from last week that refused to take any blame for any of this? Fuckin “let them eat princesstårta”

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

teen witch posted:

https://svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/ica-sanker-priser-pa-hundratals-varor

where is that nudnik from last week that refused to take any blame for any of this? Fuckin “let them eat princesstårta”

It's all "We can't lower prices. Our CEO is starving. They had to go from 3 buckets of caviar and cocaine per day to only 2! Woe is us." until Lidl starts poaching their customers with reasonable prices.
loving scumbags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gedt
Oct 3, 2007

Coop is following suit, but only for members lol