Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
You know, I do want some treasure

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

orange juche posted:

This is cool as gently caress and its not that odd, we're all waiting on climbing season for rich idiots to Darwin themselves out of existence trying to climb a mountain.

I need to see them getting into batsuits at the top and jumping off. Land safely down at base camp and receive a lovely prize.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xlorp posted:

I need to see them getting into batsuits at the top and jumping off. Land safely down at base camp and receive a lovely prize. Get carried away by headwinds and smash into the Lhotse face at 200mph.

FTFY.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Getoutnow posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

Edit: Bit more context now that I'm no longer phone-posting.
This is a classic Outside story of a highly technical cave diving expedition going horribly wrong.
“No one has ever attempted anything even vaguely approximating a body recovery from these sorts of depths.” He also talked about his motivation with the team. “I think what you are doing for the Dreyers is great,” said Peter “Big B” Herbst, a 42-year-old dive instructor and the owner of Reef Divers, a dive shop and tour operator in Pretoria. Shaw looked at him, winked, and said, “Face it, B, we’re doing this for the adventure of it.”

This man is a hero. He even lied to his wife and didnt say he loved her the last time he saw her

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Either version seems fun to watch imo

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Nobody's managed it yet. I'm hoping every special big boy is 100% sure they'll be the main character and not a Carousel reenactor.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Xlorp posted:

Carousel reenactor.

do what now

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I think a lot about that guy from one of the seasons of 'Everest-rest-rest-rest' who was filmed sitting on the mountain and talking about how nothing, nothing in his life is more important than his children. Wondering if he could hear himself.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M2vx_RCwSs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Warning: C-note Up in This Cenote!!!

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

loving HELL, I haven't seen that scene since I was a kid, and the main thing I remember about it was Basil Expositions shouting into a walkie talkie, I assumed he was talking to the floaters, encouraging them to.... go higher?? Since that's what the rest of the crowd seemed to be doing. Turns out he was just getting a work call.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

:ck5:

All the 5s are in the bottom of this cave, are you a bad enough dude to rescue them?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gently caress I should have read the sign properly

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wasn't there a dude who tried to ski down from Everest or something

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFmRQx66Xg

yup, even made it to the bottom, without dying! (several people from his team did die though)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Mar 24, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

orange juche posted:

Wasn't there a dude who tried to ski down from Everest or something

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViFmRQx66Xg

yup, even made it to the bottom, without dying! (several people from his team did die though)

It's a popular extreme ski and snowboard target. Miura was a pioneer but others have gotten 'better' descents in; Karnicar's 2000 summit to base camp run is notable.

Snowboarders have also tried it, Siffredi got the first full-ish descent but he wasn't satisfied with the route he took so the next year he went back to try for a narrow 500 m long couloir off the summit, where he disappeared in bad weather.

The video released of certain runs isn't even cool, they just side slip down because obviously if they take a fall they're dead.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Ohtori Akio posted:

It's a popular extreme ski and snowboard target. Miura was a pioneer but others have gotten 'better' descents in; Karnicar's 2000 summit to base camp run is notable.

Snowboarders have also tried it, Siffredi got the first full-ish descent but he wasn't satisfied with the route he took so the next year he went back to try for a narrow 500 m long couloir off the summit, where he disappeared in bad weather.

The video released of certain runs isn't even cool, they just side slip down because obviously if they take a fall they're dead.

what color were his boots

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Was siffredi the one who was told it was a bad idea and then said "gently caress you, old man" and then was never seen again?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Was siffredi the one who was told it was a bad idea and then said "gently caress you, old man" and then was never seen again?

said the serpas warned him not to but what do those dumb villagers know

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah. Personally I suspect his brain was cooked from altitude and exertion. Guy tried to do this all in September so there would be enough snow in the couloir then seems to have been surprised by how rough Everest is to climb in September.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This is the best thread title on SA

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

He's the guy who made that unofficial Tarzan movie and then got sued by Edgar Rice Burroughs' estate.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

knox_harrington posted:

This is the best thread title on SA

my one posting W.

big fan of your video work at the biennale btw

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Alan Smithee posted:

Warning: C-note Up in This Cenote!!!

This is apparently the precise degree of silly pun to make my afternoon, so thank you.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Every day we come closer and closer to being able to zipline from the top of Everest to the top of K2

quote:

Some 200 protesters gathered beneath Rio de Janeiro’s world-famous Sugarloaf Mountain to protest the ongoing construction of ziplines aimed at boosting tourism, alleging it will cause unacceptable impacts.

The four steel lines will run 755 meters (almost 2,500 feet) over the forest between Sugarloaf and Urca Hill, and riders will reach speeds of 100 kph (62 mph). Inauguration is scheduled for the second half of this year, and an online petition to halt work has been signed by almost 11,000 people.

Sugarloaf — known in Portuguese as Pao de Açucar — juts out of the earth at the entrance to Rio’s bay. The United Nations heritage center named it a World Heritage Site in 2012 along with Rio’s other marquee mountains and, years earlier, Brazil’s heritage institute designated it a national monument.

The cable cars to its summit draw hundreds of thousands of Brazilian and international tourists each year, all eager to take in the panoramic views of the sprawling city’s beaches and forested mountains.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Switchback posted:

This story has come up in this thread before. It’s a classic. You can watch the dive video on YouTube, narrated by Don. I don’t know why I’m so fascinated by these stories, but boy am I. The video of Yuri Lipski on an uncontrolled descent into the Blue Hole in Dahab, Egypt is another cautionary tale.

Everest YouTube suggestions are a lot of people doing cool mountain stuff, making climbing Everest look cool. but diving accident suggested videos are other diving accidents that make you wonder why people would ever do this.

The worst story I heard was this dude who was cave diving and he went off the beaten path (I think his friends tried pulling him back multiple times but one time he got away when they weren't looking, but that could be a different equally dumb guy) and managed to go through the hard-to-find opening to an undiscovered/unmarked section part then got lost. His friends had to contact the police and they spent a long time search for him/his body but never found him.

What ended up happening is that part of the cave had an air pocket and a sandbar a ways in, and he surfaced there but didn't have nearly enough air to get back. He sat there in the dark and starved to death over the course of a few weeks, I believe they found his body during construction a while afterwards with a note to his family written in the sand.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Every day we come closer and closer to being able to zipline from the top of Everest to the top of K2

Glad to see zipline goon still getting work

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

zipline goon should be contracted to make deathtraps for rich tourists

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Remember any ziplines/escalators/elevators going up and down Everest should be Yeti complaint. So like that carrying 300-600 Kg weight roughly per yeti.

Going to add a little bit of construction cost, but we need to be inclusive about these sort of things.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

dr_rat posted:

Remember any ziplines/escalators/elevators going up and down Everest should be Yeti complaint. So like that carrying 300-600 Kg weight roughly per yeti.

Going to add a little bit of construction cost, but we need to be inclusive about these sort of things.

The marketing partnership with Yeti brand coolers pretty much writes itself.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

*fade in*

Yeti is chilling on the mountain in a lawn chair and opens up a Tei cooler. There's human heads inside and it decides to grab a cold one

*Yeti logo*

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The marketing partnership with Yeti brand coolers pretty much writes itself.

And I mean there is a lot of room for ads on the side of a 68km long escalator.

136km of ads to be exact!

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Tumble posted:

The worst story I heard was this dude who was cave diving and he went off the beaten path (I think his friends tried pulling him back multiple times but one time he got away when they weren't looking, but that could be a different equally dumb guy) and managed to go through the hard-to-find opening to an undiscovered/unmarked section part then got lost. His friends had to contact the police and they spent a long time search for him/his body but never found him.

What ended up happening is that part of the cave had an air pocket and a sandbar a ways in, and he surfaced there but didn't have nearly enough air to get back. He sat there in the dark and starved to death over the course of a few weeks, I believe they found his body during construction a while afterwards with a note to his family written in the sand.

There's another similar story but it ends with the guy stabbing himself in the chest with his dive knife instead of drowning. Was totally worth it to see some silty rocks though

https://www.acsh.org/news/2022/12/01/underwater-suicide-mysterious-case-diver-who-stabbed-himself-16701

It might be fake

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I forget who recommended "into the silence" but this book is great. In a oh no ww1 way. But thanks.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is probably a dumb question, but I think I read years ago ITT someone saying (and I'm paraphrasing here) that Everest and mountains nearly its height are "like God teasing you, because they're literally just-barely climbable." Is there any truth to that? Is there a theoretical height threshold at which a mountain becomes literally unclimbable, excluding the obvious like it sticking out of the atmosphere entirely?

Are there any peaks that are actually unclimbable for different reasons?

Or is human ingenuity to find novel ways to kill ourselves just that good?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"the atmosphere" isn't a thing that is there at x feet and suddenly gone at x+1 feet. it gets thinner. everest is already "sticking out of the atmosphere" for certain values of "the atmosphere." there's not going to be a hard line, but yes, there exists some point at which no human could get up and back. you can push that point higher by allowing supplemental oxygen and various other technologies like pressure suits. and of course things will change over time (if nothing else, that point gets higher the more people are trying, because somebody's gonna be the genetic lottery winner that can do it without oxygen or whatever).

and you can do the same thing with depth, tbh.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Achmed Jones posted:

"the atmosphere" isn't a thing that is there at x feet and suddenly gone at x+1 feet. it gets thinner. everest is already "sticking out of the atmosphere" for certain values of "the atmosphere."

Right, I sorta knew this and I'm articulating it wrong, but I guess I just meant 'like, a lot more.' You're right about it being more of a gradient than a hard line. I guess what I'm asking is more; is Everest's altitude anywhere close to the physical limit where you just can't even breathe at all, and are there other factors that would make a mountain theoretically unclimbable?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
An easy benchmark is the death zone - At about 8000m (out of a total 8950m) you enter the death zone, which you can realistically survive being in for maybe 24 hours. You can get in and out of that zone in less time on Everest, but too much taller and you wouldn't be able to. Also, I'd guess that time frame drops the deathier you go into the death zone.

Supplemental oxygen would help with that, but you can only take so much.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Someone is going to build a custom lightweight pressurized spacesuit and start breaking records, and then all the rich assholes will start buying them.

The difficulty will be batteries but that's what poorly paid sherpas are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I wonder if anyone has tried weaving thin, flexible solar panels into their outerwear to charge small batteries to heat the inside of their suits. For that matter I wonder if any of that is even possible or practical yet.