Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Pablo Bluth posted:

Switch to vaping. This has the added benefit of not making you stink.

It also has the bonus effect of very quickly depleting precious resources like lithium that we have no plans for what we do when they run out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I bin it… if there’s a bin. If there isn’t a bin and I already have some rubbish it goes in there til I find one but no other rubbish, no bag, and I’m not anywhere particularly beautiful? It’s going on the floor, I’m not carrying around pocketfuls of fag ends if I can at all help it. Thank god we don’t have many bins any more so that no one can do a terrorism or whatever.

I'm with you on the cost-cutting anti-terrorism bin removal being one of the most pointlessly stupid things done in recent years, but you know pocket ashtrays are a thing? When I was in the Netherlands everyone made it sound Ike you'd straight up go to prison for leaving butts anywhere and my partner at the time bought me one on my first day and now it's just permanently in my back pocket.

You don't smell any worse than any other smoker with one (because we all already reek of it) and it holds enough for you to keep smoking until you get somewhere that has a bin

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

kecske posted:

what happens when a company you engage in presumably good faith to clear out some rubbish goes and dumps it in a layby somewhere, and then something with your name and address on is later found in the pile? are you liable?

You dispute the fine in court or pay it.

Same as if someone dumps a bunch of rubbish next to your bin on bin day, which the waste collection people leave there and then someone calls the police/council after.

e: Another annoying example is if you're staying in a hotel or airbnb and don't have a bin you can use, you're basically forced to fly tip (which legally includes putting bags of rubbish into public bins as they are not technically "litter"). I've been in that situation and it sucks.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 27, 2023

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Smoke a pipe, like a wizard or a hobbit.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Spangly A posted:

I'm with you on the cost-cutting anti-terrorism bin removal being one of the most pointlessly stupid things done in recent years, but you know pocket ashtrays are a thing? When I was in the Netherlands everyone made it sound Ike you'd straight up go to prison for leaving butts anywhere and my partner at the time bought me one on my first day and now it's just permanently in my back pocket.

You don't smell any worse than any other smoker with one (because we all already reek of it) and it holds enough for you to keep smoking until you get somewhere that has a bin

I genuinely had no idea this was a thing to be honest, I’ll have to get hold of one.

I would switch to vaping, but I prefer to not look like a 14 year old boy when I’m out on the town.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might also look like a 35 year old twitch streamer with bad opinions about politics.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Someone mentioned litter picks and that brought back memories, we used to do that when I was a kid, a bunch of us would walk along the roads one day in spring and pick trash. I remember it being fun actually.

I think people litter less now at least.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I do weekend litter cleanup for a couple of hours every other weekend or thereabouts, it's a nice crew of people and it gives you a feeling of inner wellbeing. I imagine the opposite feeling to being a person who just throws their poo poo on the ground.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I always take an empty shopping bag in my backpack with me when I'm out on my mountain bike because there's inevitably always cunts who litter even out in gorgeous forests and beauty spots.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You might also look like a 35 year old twitch streamer with bad opinions about politics.

Exactly. If you’re going to smoke, do you may as well look cool doing it. Dying early is a small price to pay.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

Switch to vaping. This has the added benefit of not making you stink.

You have to put a caveat on this and say "with reusable tanks and liquids" otherwise the same cunts now just drop single use vapes all over the place which is even loving worse because it's a complete and utter waste of resources on top of being loving stupid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

what happens when a company you engage in presumably good faith to clear out some rubbish goes and dumps it in a layby somewhere, and then something with your name and address on is later found in the pile? are you liable?

Always remove your name and address. I shred stuff or remove name & address with assorted chemicals or a little bonfire in the kitchen sink.

This is Kent cc should be the same around the UK I think.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/environment-waste-and-planning/rubbish-and-recycling/managing-waste/advice-if-youre-booking-a-waste-collector

People who chuck their fag butts on the ground, into the flower beds etc especially when there are ash trays, ash bins, special stubbing out points with fag bins underneath are disgusting and should be : guillotine: Having been a pub cleaner and had to pick the foul things up by hand.
And those little gas canister things are everywhere just chucked about the local playing fields, Riverside walks etc. Take the fkin things home. And your pooches turds. String 'em up (owners & chuckers not pooches) it's the only language they understand.

Jae being a gammon for once and no I'm not kidding it's absolutely 100% unnecessary.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Fresh in:

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1640340562237685761?t=AmyNAIlTg5TG6U8PQse0Fw&s=19

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Narrow Humza victory

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I really thought we were in the cringe timeline

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

Narrow Humza victory

I assume since it says ‘first round’ he’d have had to clear 50% to win outright? So it’ll go to second preferences, he’s close but I dunno where Regan’s support will fall.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Actual good politics news is rare these days

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Absolutely loving grim how close Forbes came.

At least the Scottish government isn't going to collapse, so that's something. I'd rather have the Greens in the cabinet than the Nats minority government

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Noxville posted:

I assume since it says ‘first round’ he’d have had to clear 50% to win outright? So it’ll go to second preferences, he’s close but I dunno where Regan’s support will fall.

Yes it did, I was watching it live rather than replying to the post above, sorry for the confusion

Baffled as to the tiny minority who would go 1st vote Ash, second Humza tho.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Noxville posted:

He got 52.1% in the 2nd round.

I want a look at the brains of the people who voted Regan 1 Yousef 2

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bug Squash posted:

Yes it did, I was watching it live rather than replying to the post above, sorry for the confusion

Ah I didn’t realise that they’d announced the final results already, just that linked tweet

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just to re-post the numbers in a non-Twitter format:

2023 SNP leadership election, result

First preferences:
48.2% | Humza Yousaf
40.7% | Kate Forbes
11.0% | Ash Regan

Second preferences:
52.1% | Humza Yousaf
47.9% | Kate Forbes

Humza Yousaf elected.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Another win for the Glasgow Southside, the most civilised region of Scotland.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

52/48 seems to be the UK in a nutshell.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
A good reminder that the SNP, like Labour and the E&W Greens, is full of dickheads

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hopefully a bunch of them will jump ship to Alba or something and then fade into obscurity

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mfcrocker posted:

A good reminder that the SNP, like Labour and the E&W Greens, is full of dickheads

It's a political party. They're all full of dickheads.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ross_Greer/status/1640341997243252736?t=sqh_g6sWXEVDArbjly7xPw&s=19

Basically agree with Ross Greer, Green MSP. Just relief, Humza isn't an amazing candidate but the alternatives were absolutely bleak

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Diet Crack posted:

52/48 seems to be the UK in a nutshell.

But unusually, this time 52/48 broke in favour of "good outcome". I guess that's progress?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Hopefully a bunch of them will jump ship to Alba or something and then fade into obscurity

Lol they'll vote labour and create a majority beyond 1997

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Remember that Labour data leak(s) a while ago that the Law Firm was going after, and you could sign up to win millions of pounds?

I've had a few emails over the months updating me on things, but today I received what looks like the last one.

The Tangent October 2021 case has been closed because they have no chance of winning.

The Blackbaud February 2020 case apparently only affected 35 people, and I wasn't one of them, but you might still get a payout if you are one of the lucky 35!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you though British nationalists were insane in their hatred of Nicola you ain't seen nothing yet.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Just to re-post the numbers in a non-Twitter format:

2023 SNP leadership election, result

First preferences:
48.2% | Humza Yousaf
40.7% | Kate Forbes
11.0% | Ash Regan

Second preferences:
52.1% | Humza Yousaf
47.9% | Kate Forbes

Humza Yousaf elected.

Scotland just keeps clowning on England.

Can't wait for Keith to take credit for this somehow after his bizarre interjection complaining about the SNP lurching to the right.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

The one thing to reflect on is that now both Labour & the SNP have a leader at Holyrood educated at Hutchesons' Grammar, a private school in Glasgow. I think the other leaders of parties with MSPs were all state school educated. So that's a bit poo poo

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

forkboy84 posted:

The one thing to reflect on is that now both Labour & the SNP have a leader at Holyrood educated at Hutchesons' Grammar, a private school in Glasgow. I think the other leaders of parties with MSPs were all state school educated. So that's a bit poo poo

At least it's not Fettes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Fag fascism itt.
Same word really.

Also a solution to the meatball problem. Mr Brains 6 Frozen Fascists in a rich West Country sauce.

Vapes to be renamed rumble-tubes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

mfcrocker posted:

A good reminder that the SNP, like Labour and the E&W Greens UK, is full of dickheads

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Same word really.

Also a solution to the meatball problem. Mr Brains 6 Frozen Fascists in a rich West Country sauce.

Vapes to be renamed rumble-tubes.

Rumble tube is great

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

forkboy84 posted:

Rumble tube is great

Obligatory Simpsons bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Peak Graun on how Starmer could lose the next election if he doesn't embrace everything the Tories are already doing: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/27/labour-lose-election-three-hurdles-working-class-immigration

Matthew Goodwin posted:

Things are beginning to change, with Keir Starmer’s acceptance of Brexit and focus on crime a sign that he grasps the need to reach out beyond London and the liberal enclaves. But unlike during the era of Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, the gulf over values is now being exacerbated by other, more recent developments.

One is the rise of a radical progressive left which represents only 13% of the British population but dominates Labour and Twitter. Its growing prominence is making life harder, not easier, for the party because on many issues – gender identity, history, Britishness, the legacy of empire, and its much looser definition of racism – its values seem a world apart from the values of the average voter.
Maybe because the "average voter" is a horrible Sun/Mail/Express-reading ham-goblin motivated by spite?