Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SuperKlaus posted:

"Perforce?"

Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the Quinton statblock which I posted earlier. It has a fair number of powerful at wills and is also a 20th level Cleric. That it is somewhat squishy, and its spell DCs are not particularly high are basically its only flaws as an enemy.

MonsterEnvy posted:

CR 14

Here is the exact Statblock for anyone curious.

Edit: I also agree it seems undervalued.

Edit: The Order would have a tough time with this thing unless Roy can get within 5 feet of it. (Which would not be easy.)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 13, 2023

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Full 20th level Cleric spellcasting on a CR14. CR was so worthless.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

wdarkk posted:

I mean it sounds insane but technically CR is based on a party of 4. Hypothetically, a single level 20 cleric shouldn't be a fair fight against four level 20 adventurers. You have to calculate the encounter level! Surely it'll be a fair fight then.

The EL for four CR14 creatures is 18.

:v:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

wdarkk posted:

Here's the thing. A gearless, minionless heroic statblock 20th level cleric would lose against a twelfth level PC party pretty handily, because of action economy.

Save or die spells can make some of them dead before that happens, but that's true of a lot of level appropriate challenges.

This is why a DM needs to bend their combat challenges towards "interesting" rather than balanced.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Of course 3.5 CR is intended for 4-6 at level encounter per adventuring day so it’s still rather low.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CR is a mess in 3.5e. It really is just people eyeballing stuff - if there's any consistent formula at all, it's based on how much HP the monster has. Its abilities aren't accounted for even slightly.

The example I always go to is the CR 1 ghoul, which gets three attacks per round, and on a hit, each attack makes the target save at Fortitude DC 12 against 1d4+1 rounds of paralysis. It's an overtuned menace against low level parties and can easily eat them up, but making people roll a bunch of Fortitude saves until they fail is still incredibly good almost no matter what level the PCs are, so throwing ghouls into an encounter doesn't manifest as a linear CR increase but as a nightmare sandtrap that makes every other monster harder. And apart from anything else, "your character can't do anything for the next three rounds" is almost always deeply not fun for players. 3.5e monster design is generally completely awful in this and other ways!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Android Blues posted:

The example I always go to is the CR 1 ghoul, which gets three attacks per round, and on a hit, each attack makes the target save at Fortitude DC 12 against 1d4+1 rounds of paralysis. It's an overtuned menace against low level parties and can easily eat them up, but making people roll a bunch of Fortitude saves until they fail is still incredibly good almost no matter what level the PCs are, so throwing ghouls into an encounter doesn't manifest as a linear CR increase but as a nightmare sandtrap that makes every other monster harder. And apart from anything else, "your character can't do anything for the next three rounds" is almost always deeply not fun for players.
All the more reason to be an elf.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

All the more reason to be an elf.

That and the infravision.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:siren:https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1278.html:siren:

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
New strip - https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1278.html

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dry crumbly assbone, indeed.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I remember an old MUD I worked on used a system called "tattoos" to allow you to invisibly mark players in an indelible way. It was mainly used for flags for things like tracking quest progression.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Strip title is A+.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Huh, so having a trapfinding rogue on your team actually harms your chances of ever finding the gate. That's really clever. In order to find the gate, you need to either not have a trapfinding rogue, or make an incredibly convoluted leap in logic without the benefit of clues from its creator. The shell game isn't the dungeon complex, it's Backstage -- acting as a huge honeypot for any dungeon delving team with a rogue. Makes you wonder how many times Backstage has been breached.

Kinda inconvenient right now, though, since Team Evil both lacks a trapfinding rogue and is powerful enough to kill/bypass the primary deterrent.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Huh, so having a trapfinding rogue on your team actually harms your chances of ever finding the gate. That's really clever. In order to find the gate, you need to either not have a trapfinding rogue, or make an incredibly convoluted leap in logic without the benefit of clues from its creator. The shell game isn't the dungeon complex, it's Backstage -- acting as a huge honeypot for any dungeon delving team with a rogue. Makes you wonder how many times Backstage has been breached.

Kinda inconvenient right now, though, since Team Evil both lacks a trapfinding rogue and is powerful enough to kill/bypass the primary deterrent.

Well, her solution to that was to leave the dungeon to delay Team Evil and go round up all her friends for one last save-the-world hurrah. Except they all got deaded first.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Honestly I gotta give props to Rich for coming up with this type of dungeon and planning out its weaknesses and strengths like this. I don't think I've seen a trap/obstacle designed like this before, very original (?).

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hell, even if you don't blunder your way into backstage, noticing and disabling any one of the traps at the end of the dungeons also screws you over, arguably even more so.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 27, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"Your butt. The traps put them in your butt."

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if by "tattoo" the trap includes "scrimshaw" because Xykon has no butt.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

I wonder if by "tattoo" the trap includes "scrimshaw" because Xykon has no butt.

The true conclusion of Xykon's character arc: Not having a butt comes back to bite him in it.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Can Xykon even get the magical pinpoint-sized tattoos in the first place, since he's a fleshless skeleton with a nonexistent rear end?

edit: why am I not surprised that I'm not the first one to think of this

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Considering that it's a portal that opens and not a personal teleportation effect, you probably only need one person there with the requisite rear end tattoos to open the portal. Everyone else can just clowncar through.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The Order of the Scribble had a thing for butts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nimby posted:

The Order of the Scribble had a thing for butts.

That better not be relevant.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

nimby posted:

The true rift really was between Girard's buttcheeks.

jesus christ "Between Girard's buttcheeks" divination joke did come back.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
cant they just go run in while the bad guys are in a dungeon and disable a couple traps to stop them from getting a couple of the butthole tattooes and thus never teleport to the real dungeon?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

jsoh posted:

cant they just go run in while the bad guys are in a dungeon and disable a couple traps to stop them from getting a couple of the butthole tattooes and thus never teleport to the real dungeon?

They would have to reach the end of one, while the antagonists are currently blazing through them, disarm the tattoo trap, and then escape back out before they arrive. The process of which would exhaust resources/spells they need to fight the bad guys. Considering that the dungeons kept Team Evil busy for a good chunk of the day each prior to the arrival of the outsider, I doubt it's a risk Roy wants to take. Plus who knows what Xykon will do if they search all the dungeons and don't find the rift?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Serini seems to be implying that her butt is enough to allow the entire Order inside, so presumably the same holds true for Team Evil.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Xykon is so eager to fight/kill something that I think he'll end up burning a bunch of spells before the final engagements of the day. This probably will end up mattering.

The way Serini says "the portal to the final dungeon" suggests that even once the gauntlet has been fully traveled, there's still at least one more fight before reaching the Gate. Earlier in this thread I guessed the guardian of that final dungeon is the dragon in Sunny's drawings.

Team Evil is powerful but are they powerful enough to contend with an epic-level dragon? This is possibly part of why Serini hasn't really acted with any urgency so far.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I have bad news about dragon folks...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nenonen posted:

I have bad news about dragon folks...

V killed off the black dragons, there are other colors.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

They would have to reach the end of one, while the antagonists are currently blazing through them, disarm the tattoo trap, and then escape back out before they arrive.

Team Evil is going in order, just pick the one they're going to do last. If Team Evil does enter the last dungeon before they're done, have Serini buttdial the final dungeon and wait there until Team Evil leaves.

EDIT: It's seven - eight minutes per dungeon. So yeah. Leave Blackwing outside to warn them if Xykon and crew approach, chew through the last dungeon - because Serini has done them all solo, it shouldn't be a problem for the whole team - and break it.

quote:

Plus who knows what Xykon will do if they search all the dungeons and don't find the rift?

Keep trying things that wont work?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 27, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

sfwarlock posted:

Team Evil is going in order, just pick the one they're going to do last. If Team Evil does enter the last dungeon before they're done, have Serini buttdial the final dungeon and wait there until Team Evil leaves.

EDIT: It's seven - eight minutes per dungeon. So yeah. Leave Blackwing outside to warn them if Xykon and crew approach, chew through the last dungeon - because Serini has done them all solo, it shouldn't be a problem for the whole team - and break it.

Keep trying things that wont work?

Drop meteors on everything until he finds the Gate probably

Also all the Order really needs to do to get in is to have blackwing say when Team Evil has gone into a door, wait about a minute, then leave and have serini let them in by a different door

e: to get there first and lay a trap

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I feel like the hobbo lady could eventually recognize blackwing isnt behaving like a normal bird

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

The Chad Jihad posted:

I feel like the hobbo lady could eventually recognize blackwing isnt behaving like a normal bird

That hardly matters if he's behaving like a 'master of the subtle art of disguise'!

Despite what Roy thinks.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Parahexavoctal posted:

Can Xykon even get the magical pinpoint-sized tattoos in the first place, since he's a fleshless skeleton with a nonexistent rear end?

edit: why am I not surprised that I'm not the first one to think of this

I actually could see him noticing that he has something magical going on with his rear end when he enters each dungeon since he is a magical construct.

I can also see him never mentioning it because he thinks it is unimportant, like maybe he picked up fleas from Oona's dog or something.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
Couldn't they disable the magic portal tripwire of the dungeon Team Evil is currently exploring and trap them inside? That could buy time, at least.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

Couldn't they disable the magic portal tripwire of the dungeon Team Evil is currently exploring and trap them inside? That could buy time, at least.

Xykon has Ghostform and Greater Teleport. Trapping them would burn two of his strong spell slots at the exchange of giving away most of the tricks behind the gauntlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Yak Shaves Dot Com posted:

I feel like there has to be a reason why that wouldn't work. It would be too easy. Maybe it's something where if you give them a reason to suspect something is up, Xykon just starts destroying the dungeon with high level spells until he breaks the gate by accident or whatever.