Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

jimmydalad posted:

EDIT: Apparently Reddit is saying that Luxx didn’t know the words to the lipsync. I know Loosey isn’t the best lipsyncer in the world but lol.

She didn't, but Loosey was also fumbling them. Luxx did the classic "gently caress up a couple words, realize you don't know them, then hide your mouth" thing in a more obvious way than Loosey, who A) The camera just wasn't on as much and B) mostly just plowed through the missed words.

Raccoonboy posted:

bottom two shouldve been mistress and luxx
anyway, Anetra/Sasha double crowning

I don't think Mistress deserved the bottom for this over Loosey, the outfit was basic af but at least it was put together well and coherent. The makeup was a bit wild though, she said she was a makeup artist but I don't think it's drag makeup she's putting on others and it showed a bit that she's not used to it.

And yeah I am legit having a hard time picking whether I'd want Anetra or Sasha to win more at this point. I guess when Sasha wins and Anetra gets to have a couple years of Money under her belt she's gonna come back and absolutely wreck All Stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think this is actually the worst season of drag race (america) I've watched. Production is awful this time around.

Raccoonboy posted:

Edit: each pair had mismatching shows so wtf was ross even talking about

There might as well be an empty chair every time he's on the panel he's been terrible at judging for so long (was he ever good?)

amaguri
Mar 27, 2010

Eej posted:

I think this is actually the worst season of drag race (america) I've watched. Production is awful this time around.

def agree, it seems like it's gone backwards about 10 seasons in terms of production value. but also i am totally ambivalent to the majority of the queens this season so i'm sure that doesn't help.

what is up with mistress's makeup? that harsh white highlight in the dead center of her (and her teacher's) face is so distracting and no one says a word about it so... is that intentional? i hate it

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Already wiped S13 out of memory?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Eej posted:

There might as well be an empty chair every time he's on the panel he's been terrible at judging for so long (was he ever good?)

You know that thing where you're at a grocery store, and the apples are on manager's special? And you really wanted Granny Smith, but the ones that are $0.50 a lb are the honey crisp? So you get those anyway? That's you.

(That is, I'm saying that I agree.)

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Salina shouldn't have apologized

(but for the sake of her AS run, I'm glad she did)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Loosey has no chill and absolutely no poker face. which is great tv, but transparently hard to watch sometimes. still prefer it to Missy and Luxx's sanctimonious "why u mad" pot-stirring horseshit though.

i'm all-in for Anetra to win, now that Selina's gone. Sasha Colby has been fine, but honestly given her legendary and iconic status, i've been underwhelmed.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader
I'm also 100% all in for Anetra. I liked Marcia early on, but it was pretty clear the judges never liked her. Sasha is clearly talented but I'm not getting anything interesting from her, she's just a generically talented drag queen (sort of reminds me of Chad Michael's run in season 4). Luxx and Mistress are just coming across as mean girls, which is refreshing to have back in the show after so many seasons of people playing it safe, but it doesn't make me like them any more.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Granted, I know nothing about what the finale is going to be like (and would prefer not to be spoiled if y'all already know), but I feel like there's going to be production funky-business going on (a la Jinkx v Monet, Swish Swish) to make sure Sasha wins. It's just a feeling I have about how convenient it would be for Ru to crown a transwoman drag queen at a time when it's the pinnacle of Republican fear-mongering.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Sure, it'll be anticlimactic, but I feel like this is Sasha's time to win and she probably wouldn't come back for a regular AS. There's not much room for her to evolve and show something new in another season, especially compared to the rest of the remaining queens. The last time a drag "veteran" won a regular season was S6 anyway, so it's kind of due.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The forced cutdown of episodes up until recently probably does not help how the season presents itself, especially if the episodes were always originally intended to be 90 minutes. I’ve been enjoying this season and I don’t think this is the worst season by any stretch of the imagination.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

gandlethorpe posted:

Already wiped S13 out of memory?

If season 13 episodes had only been 42 minutes for the first half we'd probably have missed most of tamisha's temper tantruming and joey jay being the first gay contestant.

I think that particular part of 15 is worse than 13 easily--the first half of the season is where we get a lot of fun moments from people who don't otherwise get many or any and pretty much all of the fun was cut out of the early stuff so we could rush through to air Todrick's reality show.

They obviously learned from it but that first bit of the season felt like some of the least interesting Drag Race I've ever sat through.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

The posts I was responding to were talking about production making the season worse, though. The shortened episodes are entirely MTV's fault.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

dino. posted:

This wasn’t a Jocelyn Fox (womp womp) situation where they gave her a little bitch who was being sent in as a punishment.

It's been like 15+ main seasons and countless spin-offs, and this was still the most uncomfortable moment in the entire show for me. I refuse to re-watch that episode...gross on everyone's part (besides the S6 contestants themselves).

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Apparently, no one can rewatch it because that rear end in a top hat sued and got it taken off streaming platforms

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

gandlethorpe posted:

Apparently, no one can rewatch it because that rear end in a top hat sued and got it taken off streaming platforms

WHAT

(I just looked it up and yep, the episode isn't there.)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

gandlethorpe posted:

:stare: Jesus Christ!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Drag Race Canada seems to have good luck with makeover partners, the other series should take a note.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Luxx going in on Loosey not being unique when she's just Dollar Store Symone was some bullshit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

gandlethorpe posted:

The posts I was responding to were talking about production making the season worse, though. The shortened episodes are entirely MTV's fault.

No I think this is worse than S13. Even from just winners and losers production has been extremely heavy handed. Like half the episodes I'm wondering how X isn't the winner and why Y is safe again. It's so obvious that Sasha completely dominates the competition but they edit it so that she doesn't get as many wins as she should but also they never put her in the bottom because she'll eliminate anyone she's up against.

Plenty of questionable lipsync wins, queens being given favourable edits so they can fulfill their diversity quota as they approach the final episodes. Like sure in S13 they made sure to keep Gotmik off screen as much as possible during dancing challenges so they can have a transmasc finalist for diversity points but why are they hiding Luxe in acting challenges aside from keeping Ru happy by having a skinny black queen in the final?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my shocks and twists in Drag Race to come from queens overcoming expectations (or underperforming) rather then showing someone winning and then production saying "btw they lost lol"

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
It does seem like more than any other season in a while that the complete boot order was predetermined before filming even began.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Really? Who do you think should've been winning? I was just thinking about the win distribution and how in the largest season ever, only 6 queens have won challenges, with there even be an argument that only 5 should've won. A few of the wins do feel rigga morris, but still among the same queens. The only ones that could've gone another way to me are: girl groups (Sasha or Mistress instead of Aura), the ball (Mistress instead of Sasha), and the interview (Loosey instead of Sasha). And the last one I kind of agree with Sasha's win in the end.

The queens that I think could've come close to a win are Malaysia (acting) and Salina (stand up), but unfortunately they weren't designated challenge winners and weren't dominant enough to make it blatant robbery. I did often disagree with tops/bottoms though (like most of Loosey's 'safes' in the middle).

Nihonniboku posted:

It does seem like more than any other season in a while that the complete boot order was predetermined before filming even began.

Considering the teachers they picked out for the makeover and how 4/5 were pretty much perfect matches, I definitely think they had a top 5 in mind.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's been way too many episodes that are mostly forgettable so I can't tell you off the top of my head which examples but there should've been a lot more Sasha and Loosey wins. Salina had a bad run too because for whatever reason the judges didn't/refused to "get" her drag and I feel awful for her and Loosey for being essentially gaslit about the validity of their drag on national TV.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I just remembered that Sugar and Spice were on this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
16 queens and Snatch Game was in episode 4. It's been a lot. At the mention of Aura, I was like, wait, there was someone on this season named Aura? Then I remembered that yes, and she won a main challenge.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

To this day, I could not tell you who the gently caress Amethyst is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Poor one out for Robin Fierce, whoever she is

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Read After Burning posted:

To this day, I could not tell you who the gently caress Amethyst is.

She was Nose Almighty. Who was Princess Poppy? Also, something Fierce. She was from CT or something. Robin? Robin Fierce? Can’t remember a thing she did.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I remembered the existence of the amazing Designing Women spoken word lipsync in All Stars 7 and that lead me to a video of Julia Sugarbaker’s rants and honestly she’s an icon and I’m glad Drag Race is keeping that history alive. I would kill for there to be more spoken word lipsyncs in the future. Imagine one of the LalapaRusa lipsyncs being a spoken word one? All Stars 7 did some amazing things.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Raere posted:

Big agree. It's not sabotage just because you dont match skin color of the queens with their daughters. Luxx was acting spoiled because she didn't get exactly what she wanted. For example, she could have been smart and seen the Jennifer Coolidge resemblance and incorporated that into the presentation instead of having the judges have to call it out.
The editing made it look like Luxx didn't even know that Mrs Reyes had queer kids until the final getting ready bit. That could have been the edit but it lined up with Luxx's seeming lack of interest in getting to know her daughter.

It was the moment when Mrs Reyes said "...what do I do?" during the lipsync rehearsal and Luxx went "Just dance!"

No. You have to embody the lyrics of the song and pretend it's YOU in that song, right now. Luxx may just go into "Ok, I'm going to DANCE" mode when she lip-syncs, but that's just what works for *her*

Luxx strikes me as the type of person who is so far down a rabbit hole of a craft that they assume everyone has the same outlook on it and basic foundational knowledge, and couldn't teach a newbie the basics because they have blinders on. I'm ready for her to go home.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/TheBiancaDelRio/status/1641568507606478848

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
That episode was entirely expected, and just leads to further support of the theory that the entire season boot order was predetermined.

Also, reunion next week, the finale is in 2 weeks.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 1, 2023

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Eej posted:

No I think this is worse than S13. Even from just winners and losers production has been extremely heavy handed. Like half the episodes I'm wondering how X isn't the winner and why Y is safe again. It's so obvious that Sasha completely dominates the competition but they edit it so that she doesn't get as many wins as she should but also they never put her in the bottom because she'll eliminate anyone she's up against.

Plenty of questionable lipsync wins, queens being given favourable edits so they can fulfill their diversity quota as they approach the final episodes. Like sure in S13 they made sure to keep Gotmik off screen as much as possible during dancing challenges so they can have a transmasc finalist for diversity points but why are they hiding Luxe in acting challenges aside from keeping Ru happy by having a skinny black queen in the final?

Call me old fashioned but I prefer my shocks and twists in Drag Race to come from queens overcoming expectations (or underperforming) rather then showing someone winning and then production saying "btw they lost lol"

(thinking so hard my brain catches fire) the drag race show is enslaved to woke diversity quoatas

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

I’m gonna be contrarian and say this is one of my favourite recent seasons. Even with the forced editing of shorter episodes hamstringing the storytelling, I still loved the queens this season and there never was any stretch where things felt like it went on too long.

While it was pretty predictable, the editing did a good job this episode of justifying the final decision and I’m not mad/am at peace with it.

Sasha Colby should win this season though.

EDIT: I also would like to say that the editors were feeling themselves this episode. I loving cackled like a lunatic at the return on the chocolate horn.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 1, 2023

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Nihonniboku posted:

That episode was entirely expected, and just leads to further support of the theory that the entire season boot order was predetermined.

Also, reunion next week, the finale is in 2 weeks.

I have to agree with this. Freaking Ru saying, "I promised myself I'd eliminate every episode." Ugh, what a liar. I got SO mad when Visage said the Anetra v MarciaX3 was her favorite lipsync of all the seasons... bitch, we ALL thought that so why didn't they double chante THEN?!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Wonder what the reunion is gonna be like for the 1/3 or so queens who got barely any screen time. I'm assuming they won't be allowed to bitch about MTV.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

jimmydalad posted:

I’m gonna be contrarian and say this is one of my favourite recent seasons.

:yeah:

This is my favourite top 4 ever and I could see them all winning in parallel universes, but it's hard to see Sasha not taking it. I actually hope it's a lip sync for the crown this time because they'd deliver.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
I bought the season on amazon and the latest episode isn't on there yet. I was completely spoilered the second I got on the internet but I would still like to see the actual episode! :argh:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

jimmydalad posted:

I’m gonna be contrarian and say this is one of my favourite recent seasons. Even with the forced editing of shorter episodes hamstringing the storytelling, I still loved the queens this season and there never was any stretch where things felt like it went on too long.

While it was pretty predictable, the editing did a good job this episode of justifying the final decision and I’m not mad/am at peace with it.

Sasha Colby should win this season though.

I don't know. I think last season was maybe the best season since 9. This season, I can't find myself getting excited for the finale. Is this a talented top 4? Absolutely. Sasha is the obvious winner, and for that reason it's boring to me. I love an underdog, and anyone who would have been an underdog was eliminated early on in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Has this been the best season? No. Have I thoroughly enjoyed myself? Yes. Main season Drag Race is comfort food for me, and the show hasn't significantly annoyed me at all, which is all I ask.

For me, there have been three real surprises during the season:
- Irene going home first, at least until the Talent Show
- Anetra sending home Jax instead of Spice
- M^3 not being double-saved. (Had they not been locked into the Ruscial the following week there may have been a chance, but I don't see them being able to magically adjust that episode for seven queens)

I'm not even mad at the outcome of last night, it's exactly what I expected would happen.