Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Our customer service is legendarily terrible so I'm actually inclined to believe that the customer wants something simple but the rep he spoke is dumber than a sack of bricks.

And regardless, the ticket should never get all the way to level 3 without a clearly defined request, something that makes more sense than "customer wants to set a static IP of *public IP* on LAN port"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Darchangel posted:

Contracts at all don’t exist until one gets to the executive level. Literally every job I’ve ever had, admittedly all in Texas, so perhaps not the best example, explicitly stated in the HR paperwork that no one beside the CEO of the company had authority to even *make* a contract with employees.

That said, no company can just… sell a job to another company, much less the employee.

“Listen, all I want to do is <some wildly incorrect interpretation of something they read or heard on a tech channel>.”

“You can’t, sorry.” Closed. All done!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Remulak posted:

If you negotiate don’t forget pto accrual, also a signing bonus is better than a raise if you don’t trust them. They need you to close the deal.

Negotiate for maxed PTO on day one. If they give you HR bullshit about how it can’t be done then ask for a signing bonus equal to four weeks (or whatever) of your salary.

This is the easiest way to get extra dosh: “I have a bunch of vacations planned in the next six months and I won’t be getting paid for them unless I am maxed out. How can you help make this right?”

Never mind you got your PTO payout when you quit your last job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Agrikk posted:

Negotiate for maxed PTO on day one. If they give you HR bullshit about how it can’t be done then ask for a signing bonus equal to four weeks (or whatever) of your salary.

This is the easiest way to get extra dosh: “I have a bunch of vacations planned in the next six months and I won’t be getting paid for them unless I am maxed out. How can you help make this right?”

Never mind you got your PTO payout when you quit your last job.

I hosed up on this. I started with 0 hours. Ugh.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

GreenNight posted:

I hosed up on this. I started with 0 hours. Ugh.

me too!! very recently as well

but, my place lets you go into arrears with it, so i can still take my april vacation and get paid.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Darchangel posted:

Contracts at all don’t exist until one gets to the executive level. Literally every job I’ve ever had, admittedly all in Texas, so perhaps not the best example, explicitly stated in the HR paperwork that no one beside the CEO of the company had authority to even *make* a contract with employees.
Conveniently that means the HR paperwork isn't binding and you can assume it's a contract :v:

Renegret posted:

Our customer service is legendarily terrible so I'm actually inclined to believe that the customer wants something simple but the rep he spoke is dumber than a sack of bricks.

And regardless, the ticket should never get all the way to level 3 without a clearly defined request, something that makes more sense than "customer wants to set a static IP of *public IP* on LAN port"
Sounds like someone wants their Minecraft server to be accessible to the internet and doesn't quite understand how to make that happen.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Arquinsiel posted:

Sounds like someone wants their Minecraft server to be accessible to the internet and doesn't quite understand how to make that happen.

That would be a classic A-B problem.
Don't tell me what you *think* you need to do or how you *think* you want to do it. Tell me what you want to accomplish, and *I'll* tell you how we can get there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Renegret posted:

Would it be unprofessional if I closed a ticket by saying it's so stupid it made my brain hurt?

It took me 10 minutes to send the ticket back saying, what?, but I've spent over an hour trying to decipher what the ask is. They eventually got back to me with what's effectively a wildly incorrect definition of what a NAT is which only made things worse.

$10 all the customer wants is to put the ISP gear into bridge mode so they can use their own router.

I routinely get :what: tickets because the customer doesn’t have the terminology to describe what the problem actually is and they’re often going through a non-technician taking the initial call and writing down what they say.

I’ve learned to just not believe anything in even clearly worded tickets and just start by calling the customer contact and trying to establish from first principles what exactly the problem they’re having is.

“Phones are down” could be anything from “the PBX was fried in a lightning strike” to “a network issue breaking communication with the voicemail server” to “a manager accidentally hit the button that puts his phone in do-not-disturb mode”

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Entropic posted:

“Phones are down” could be anything from “the PBX was fried in a lightning strike” to “a network issue breaking communication with the voicemail server” to “a manager accidentally hit the button that puts his phone in do-not-disturb mode”

Don't forget the ever-popular "dialing a wrong number that's entirely broken and doesn't work on any phone". Every other thing about the phones is working fine, but calling one number doesn't work and it's "phones are down"

Or worse, the same thing, but with a fax machine where the call audio is disabled or so low the user can't hear the error response. gently caress faxes forever, the correct answer to someone saying "fax me something" should be to set them on fire.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

wolrah posted:

Don't forget the ever-popular "dialing a wrong number that's entirely broken and doesn't work on any phone". Every other thing about the phones is working fine, but calling one number doesn't work and it's "phones are down"

this was extra fun when I was managing a phone system because I live in a state where we only have one area code

for a long time if the number is long distance, the area code is required, but if the number was local, you couldn't use the area code

people would have all kinds of problems with this because cell phones helpfully connected the call regardless, so the tickets were often "can't call number from desk phone, works on cell phone, phone system sucks"

I spent a whole lot of time building a translation table with local prefixes in it so people could dial out without this issue

last year the phone companies got together and decided everyone needed the area code all the time

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Darchangel posted:

That would be a classic A-B problem.
Don't tell me what you *think* you need to do or how you *think* you want to do it. Tell me what you want to accomplish, and *I'll* tell you how we can get there.

This is actually some of the best advice I've ever gotten out of this thread over the years.

And funny enough, when I sent back the stupid ticket, I specifically asked "what is the customer trying to do?" One of the things that frustrated me was that they didn't actually answer that question. Just... incorrectly tried to explain a basic networking concept to a network person.

It's out of scope for me but hey, maybe if the customer really did want to host their own Minecraft server, sure I can provide a few suggestions.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The Fool posted:

this was extra fun when I was managing a phone system because I live in a state where we only have one area code

for a long time if the number is long distance, the area code is required, but if the number was local, you couldn't use the area code

people would have all kinds of problems with this because cell phones helpfully connected the call regardless, so the tickets were often "can't call number from desk phone, works on cell phone, phone system sucks"

I spent a whole lot of time building a translation table with local prefixes in it so people could dial out without this issue

last year the phone companies got together and decided everyone needed the area code all the time

I have been there, done that, with ShoreTel. Ugh. There was a time when our home phone had the same prefix as a Vancouver, BC area code, so I was getting misdirected calls because the last 4 digits were close to some immigration or tax office there. Ported that number to GV and never answer it, but it is nice because there are things still tied to it after all these years...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A company I used to work for had the same phone number as a courier company, but we were in Dublin and the couriers were somewhere else, so people would see the number on their site, assume the non-Dublin area code didn't matter, and just dial us and start complaining. If was even funnier when they were calling from a mobile or from Northern Ireland because then they'd need to actively ignore the correct area code and add the Dublin area code to the number. Always fun to get back into the office after Christmas and listen to voicemails from some dude becoming progressively more unhinged as an urgent present failed to arrive, but also not leaving contact details for us (or the courier company...) to get back to him.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Fool posted:

We're about to have this exact issue in Northern Ontario. Local calls have been 7 digit for as long as anyone can remember, tons of systems have dial tables and hard-coded numbers with that in mind, and it's switching to 10 digit this fall.

Renegret posted:

This is actually some of the best advice I've ever gotten out of this thread over the years.

And funny enough, when I sent back the stupid ticket, I specifically asked "what is the customer trying to do?" One of the things that frustrated me was that they didn't actually answer that question. Just... incorrectly tried to explain a basic networking concept to a network person.

It's out of scope for me but hey, maybe if the customer really did want to host their own Minecraft server, sure I can provide a few suggestions.

Yeah, it is always a good idea to start with "ok, what are you actually trying to do, what steps are you actually taking to do that thing, and at what step do you run into a problem?"

Had one last week where they were saying something about voicemail problems, it got filtered down to me as "oh it's another one of those systems where the voicemail-to-email stopped working because it uses our mail server for that and the vpn link is broken". I get there and it turns out they don't even use vm-to-email and the actual problem is that voicemail is actually completely down on their system because a glitch created a giant file that completely filled up the SD card that the system runs off of.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 28, 2023

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Phones are poo poo

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Phones are poo poo

welcome to my life

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanks Ants posted:

People = poo poo

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I literally just got the real-life equivalent of the "Website is Down - Webdude vs Sales Guy" the file at the tip of the penis.
Lady had been complaining about her machine being slow, etc. for like a week (it's not the machine, it's Teams and her rural Kentucky internet... but I'm tired of arguing) so I get her on One Drive, synching, and send her a loaner laptop, then have her send me the current machine.
This sentence took over a week to accomplish, BTW. She is literally the Sales Dude. Not just non-technical, but, like a helpless person I'm surprised made it to adulthood, much less a job.

At any rate, despite every file being synched to One Drive, she can't find a file or three on the loaner because she doesn't know what they are named, just where they are on her desktop.
Not even in a folder for that particular customer. Thankfully, I hadn't wiped the old machine yet, so we just take a look and I sent them to her (even though they were literally already there in One Drive... :eyeroll:) They were of course "Copy of <whatever>.xls". Just, like, ALL the cliches.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

In response to a question about a user's docking station, I sent over Teams, "I don't think she has a dick."

Thankfully this was too a co-worker and not a user

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Cool Dad posted:

In response to a question about a user's docking station, I sent over Teams, "I don't think she has a dick."

Thankfully this was too a co-worker and not a user

I once sent a company wide email, at a fortune 500, about a successful hard dick replacement

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I once sent a company wide email, at a fortune 500, about a successful hard dick replacement

I have sent to many, many people a poo poo report

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

tactlessbastard posted:

Well yeah, what other kind of report is there?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

tactlessbastard posted:

Seems about right for a tactless bastard tbh

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

I think our service desk people have moved from a level of smooth brained to actual frictionless spheres in their skull.
I know its a entry level position, and I'm not expecting some massively detailed write up of a problem. But what I would like is: Who has the problem? Where is this person physically at? What is their contact number? What is their problem?

If the problem is one of the handful of first call resolution stuff and it didn't fix it: Did you do all the steps? No really, all of them. What was the error?

But today had two winners: One was a ticket from an IT person with the text:
Hi, please send this to <Firewall Team>, it is about <this product only they manage> and I have been working with this <person>.
Ticket's first step on its journey was to an entirely different person. He responded to the ticket and sent it back "Wrong person". It then hung out for a bit, then go assigned to the network group. I sent it to the right person after feeling my soul die a little.

2nd: We have Cisco Room Kit devices, which are video conference units. They have a major flaw in that their input touchpad is wired to the camera unit. You can send this through a switch, or plug it directly in. They are pretty easy to use, as long as one simple rule is followed. Don't unplug anything from them. Especially don't unplug the tablet. This person calls in, the SD person has them wander around trying random ports, get nowhere. Then walks the person through factory defaulting the tablet. Then has them put in a incorrect IP on it, so even when directly connected, it can't talk. I'll have to have a user reset it again.
This one is making me lose my temper a bit.

They had someone factory default a printer once. Which unsurprisingly, didn't make it work better.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Phones are poo poo

3CX just announced their softphone desktop client has been compromised and recommend all customers uninstall it estate wide.
Fortunately we only have a few users on it because the main rollout has been delayed again and again. Now it will be quietly dropped.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bitterandtwisted posted:

3CX just announced their softphone desktop client has been compromised and recommend all customers uninstall it estate wide.
Fortunately we only have a few users on it because the main rollout has been delayed again and again. Now it will be quietly dropped.
It's also worth noting that their response so far has been almost LastPass-grade in terms of how badly a company can respond to a security incident. The issue was detected over a week ago, downplayed by the company until they were forced to acknowledge it, which they then only did via a blog post and not email or any other active effort to reach out to customers. The CEO of the company himself told a partner to find another solution and then banned them from their forums in response to asking for more details.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
It's even worse than that, the CEO is lying on their forums about the cause. They're blaming "an upstream library" (ffmpeg) for the compromise.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

guppy posted:

It's even worse than that, the CEO is lying on their forums about the cause. They're blaming "an upstream library" (ffmpeg) for the compromise.

I have some bad news for them regarding that argument...

quote:

BECAUSE THE PROGRAM IS LICENSED FREE OF CHARGE, THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

nielsm posted:

I have some bad news for them regarding that argument...

It's not that, they aren't trying to make ffmpeg liable, it's that it's not true. Maybe the specific files from ffmpeg that are in what they distributed are compromised, but that's very different from ffmpeg's source being compromised.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
They’re so hosed, proper adherence to FFmpeg’s lgpl license is work. And if they’re carelessly dragging in other stuff that’s also dragging in FFmpeg (which is likely) then mpeg la will be giving them a call quite shortly.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Caused some self-inflicted group sync issues with aad connect the last couple of days doing some group attribute cleanup.

Thankfully, deleting the connector spaces, full imports, full syncs, and exports was the ticket but man I hate dealing with AAD connect in any way, if you really gently caress things up you’re gonna have a Bad Time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

devmd01 posted:

Caused some self-inflicted group sync issues with aad connect the last couple of days doing some group attribute cleanup.

Thankfully, deleting the connector spaces, full imports, full syncs, and exports was the ticket but man I hate dealing with AAD connect in any way, if you really gently caress things up you’re gonna have a Bad Time.

Unless you are running exchange hybrid or have specific write back requirements, ad cloud sync is far less finnicky than conventional ad connect.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Like 5-6 years ago I got an offer at a job but turned it down for a few red flags. Biggest one was everyone at the shop seemed like an insufferable techbro and I didn't want to deal with a miserable culture. The raise was miniscule and it wasn't worth the drawbacks.

We just hired a new guy and, hey it turns out he worked at that place. Half the team got laid off when COVID hit, and he tried starting his own Bitcoin/Etherium mining business after being laid off.

Never felt so justified in a decision in my entire life. Bullet dodged.

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!

Renegret posted:

Like 5-6 years ago I got an offer at a job but turned it down for a few red flags. Biggest one was everyone at the shop seemed like an insufferable techbro and I didn't want to deal with a miserable culture. The raise was miniscule and it wasn't worth the drawbacks.

We just hired a new guy and, hey it turns out he worked at that place. Half the team got laid off when COVID hit, and he tried starting his own Bitcoin/Etherium mining business after being laid off.

Never felt so justified in a decision in my entire life. Bullet dodged.

We have one of those in the office. He's a smart guy but is hopelessly obsessed with NFTs and "the blockchain" and has been trying to create some new crypto system that he thinks will revolutionize the way people use the Internet. He lost a bunch of money on Gamestop and he gets annoyed when I ask him about it.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Sunblood posted:

We have one of those in the office. He's a smart guy but is hopelessly obsessed with NFTs and "the blockchain" and has been trying to create some new crypto system that he thinks will revolutionize the way people use the Internet. He lost a bunch of money on Gamestop and he gets annoyed when I ask him about it.

He's too busy obsessing over chatGPT to listen to you anyway.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

my new boss is obsessed with chatgpt. i don't know how to tell him that sending an obviously ai-generated response to every email makes him look like a disingenuous turd.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

my cat is norris posted:

my new boss is obsessed with chatgpt. i don't know how to tell him that sending an obviously ai-generated response to every email makes him look like a disingenuous turd.

Sounds like a job for ChatGPT.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

my cat is norris posted:

I have a buddy who is a non-IT director at a hospital who is doing this and I’ve warned him repeatedly to stop because he’s gonna get fired for putting data into ChatGPT that he shouldn’t. I also helped him find a USB thingy that simulates mouse clicks so his computer won’t lock and warned him it could be some kinda malware but he didn’t seem concerned about it. Lmao

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

i am a moron posted:

I have a buddy who is a non-IT director at a hospital who is doing this and I’ve warned him repeatedly to stop because he’s gonna get fired for putting data into ChatGPT that he shouldn’t. I also helped him find a USB thingy that simulates mouse clicks so his computer won’t lock and warned him it could be some kinda malware but he didn’t seem concerned about it. Lmao
Why would you even help with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t work there so I don’t care if his IT department lets this stuff go on and he couldn’t use the mouse jiggler program I do so I pointed him in the right/wrong direction. It probably isn’t malware but hey you never know. Locking screens when people WFH is dumb