Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Corb3t posted:

I can help with this one!

Settings > General > Keyboard > Text Replacement > add your partner's name and replace it with the capitalized version.

FWIW this fixed my hope issue

I hope this fixes op's problem as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

xzzy posted:

What does Apple use for their traffic / speed trap alerts? Because it's always completely wrong and I'm curious if they take so long to propagate it's useless or have the dumbest drivers on the road submitting reports.

I think Apple is intentionally vague about speed traps.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Does Apple Maps have a “that crash / speed trap isn’t there anymore” button?

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

It does, at least for accidents and hazards (I don’t think they show speed traps where I live).

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Didn't Apple used to pull from Waze data for wrecks and stuff prior? Seems odd they wouldn't pull speed traps either.

If so it’s been a bit. Google has owned Waze for several years.

Edit: poo poo almost 10 so probably not

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

As someone who's never had an iPhone, what would be a good recommendation for a used device to get into? I don't really want to spend more than 300USD. I've been looking into the XS series on swappa, but they are getting a little old.

Should I worry about the quality of *Brand New Aftermarket Screen!*? Would an SE 2nd or 3rd gen be a better option due to newer SoC's? After using big OLED display phones for so long I don't know how I'd feel about such a small LCD.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Mental Hospitality posted:

As someone who's never had an iPhone, what would be a good recommendation for a used device to get into? I don't really want to spend more than 300USD. I've been looking into the XS series on swappa, but they are getting a little old.

Should I worry about the quality of *Brand New Aftermarket Screen!*? Would an SE 2nd or 3rd gen be a better option due to newer SoC's? After using big OLED display phones for so long I don't know how I'd feel about such a small LCD.

Goons don’t let goons buy iPhones with aftermarket screens.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Buff Hardback posted:

Goons don’t let goons buy iPhones with aftermarket screens.

I kind of figured as much. See a lot of listings that mention aftermarket screens, not so many that mention having an OEM display.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just spring for the SE and be done with it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was going to suggest Apple Certified Refurbished, but, well, the prices are kind of stupid. Why is an iPhone 12 Pro still going for $759?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's some good deals on iPhone 12s depending on who your carrier is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fwiw, the performance of my 2020 SE still feels fine (as it should). I've had slowdown scrolling through the youtube app a handful of times, but whatever was causing it seems to have been fixed some months ago.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

My partner used backmarket and has no complaints.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was going to suggest Apple Certified Refurbished, but, well, the prices are kind of stupid. Why is an iPhone 12 Pro still going for $759?

No 13s at all in the refurb store either.

I guess you save a little if you don’t care about it being a “newer” phone or having any choices. Like a refurb 12 mini 256 GB is $569 and a new 13 mini 256 GB is $699.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hadn’t clicked on the on screen thumbnail after taking a screenshot in a while, so this ‘full page’ thing is new to me and seems neat. Is there anyway to get it so it actually saves the whole page though? It seems to default to what’s highlighted on the right which can’t be adjusted for length, which kinda defeats the purpose. Looks like maybe saving as a PDF would do it, but I’m more likely to want just a straight image.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well no because it’s literally just taking a screenshot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So what’s the point? I could just scroll to the part of the page I wanted already.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It captures a larger vertical section of the page than your phone screen is able to show.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Fine if all you want is a few extra lines I guess, but what a half assed implementation. Like, the screen I was trying to clip was showing how dumb and long a parcel track was taking, I’d still need to do multiple screenshots even with a bit extra vertical space. The fact it shows the entire page as a literal screenshot but then doesn’t allow you to just save that is just daft.

Like, full page screenshotting is insanely useful when testing web development etc and has been something I would’ve liked from the word go but understood it’s not a priority, but to kind of implement it is just a waste of time in most circumstances.

E: actually scratch that, you don’t get any extra space. I just did a regular screenshot and then one done with this ‘full page’ view, and it is the exact same. It literally doesn’t do anything.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 25, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

Fine if all you want is a few extra lines I guess, but what a half assed implementation. Like, the screen I was trying to clip was showing how dumb and long a parcel track was taking, I’d still need to do multiple screenshots even with a bit extra vertical space. The fact it shows the entire page as a literal screenshot but then doesn’t allow you to just save that is just daft.

Like, full page screenshotting is insanely useful when testing web development etc and has been something I would’ve liked from the word go but understood it’s not a priority, but to kind of implement it is just a waste of time in most circumstances.

E: actually scratch that, you don’t get any extra space. I just did a regular screenshot and then one done with this ‘full page’ view, and it is the exact same. It literally doesn’t do anything.

Just save as PDF and use a shortcut to convert that output? You can probably combine the whole thing in one step.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

EL BROMANCE posted:

I like the free Editors Choice-winner Picsew to take a bunch of screenshots and see them together. I tried making a shortcut and checked out some other ones online for a decent full-page sceeenshot, but they don't seem to do well on JavaScript-heavy pages.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Safari’s dev mode on the Mac can do a full-page screenshot (open dev console, go to elements, find the body element or a particular div, right-click, and then capture screenshot). Wonder if it exists in the iOS dev mode.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

kefkafloyd posted:

Safari’s dev mode on the Mac can do a full-page screenshot (open dev console, go to elements, find the body element or a particular div, right-click, and then capture screenshot). Wonder if it exists in the iOS dev mode.

Aside, I recently found an iOS native Safari extension that provides a good-enough dev mode: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/web-inspector/id1584825745

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm just texting someone and got reminded of the keyboard discussion again. That loving prediction/autocorrect marks basic German verbs in their present form as unknown, but not past tense variants. The gently caress.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

To comment on my own question about the iPhone keyboard, it’s not perfect, but it seems astonishingly better than the iPad keyboard as far as autocorrects go. They’ve mostly made sense so far. I miss the shortcuts for numbers and punctuation from android swiftkey, but most of my muscle memory from 2008 is still there so I’m actually doing numbers and punctuation better than I thought. I still long-press letters sometimes trying to get a number or hyphen or whatever, but by and large it’s been pretty good.

My contacts and other settings were a shambles, what with having disabled sync of a ton of things because I didn’t use them on the iPad but have to on the phone, and unfucking all of that was actually a huge pain in the rear end. Otherwise, since getting everything sorted, I’ve been pretty happy with the switch over. We’ll see how it goes long term.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hadn’t clicked on the on screen thumbnail after taking a screenshot in a while, so this ‘full page’ thing is new to me and seems neat. Is there anyway to get it so it actually saves the whole page though? It seems to default to what’s highlighted on the right which can’t be adjusted for length, which kinda defeats the purpose. Looks like maybe saving as a PDF would do it, but I’m more likely to want just a straight image.

i just save to pdf and then use pdf2png.com to convert it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weedle posted:

i just save to pdf and then use pdf2png.com to convert it

You really don't need that

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

Oh this is cool, what is this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Oh this is cool, what is this?

It’s a shortcut.

The shortcut app is really powerful if you use it right.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

mawarannahr posted:

Do you have a sharable link to this for the less technically proficient at making shortcuts? :downs:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mister Facetious posted:

Do you have a sharable link to this for the less technically proficient at making shortcuts? :downs:

Of course, I'm sorry to be presumptuous. Shortcuts are amazing. They make it so easy for people to automate complex computing tasks, even for programmers.

Here's a starter:
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/93e152e045854186985d037397b83a55

It will ask you for a PDF file. The result you get is one image per PDF page, which you can then save via the Share button. Here's what that will look like:

It can be onerous to save each page individually, of course. Here is a version that automatically saves each one, which you can accomplish by adding the actions "Repeat with Each" followed by "Save to Photo Album":
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/67a049c4d7b4497fb13301ac1e11976a

They are a joy, even if the app has some shortcomings. It's fun to do real poo poo on an iPhone mini.

edit: if you want to stitch them into a long image, a free app called Picsew does a good job. You might be able to do this task via shortcut but I find the interface this app provides to be very intuitive, and you don't need to pay unless you want to get the stitching done automatically (it's $0.99-1.99 depending on the extra features you want).

mawarannahr fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 27, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there any way to get search to go back to opening Safari with my search query when I hit “search”? The new behavior seems less useful.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: iOS 16.4 has dropped :siren:

Apple posted:

This update includes the following enhancements and bug fixes:

- 21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects are now available in emoji keyboard

- Notifications for web apps added to the Home Screen

- Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you

- Duplicates album in Photos expands support to detect duplicate photos and videos in an iCloud Shared Photo Library

- VoiceOver support for maps in the Weather app

- Accessibility setting to automatically dim video when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected

- Fixes an issue where Ask to Buy requests from children may fail to appear on the parent's device

- Addresses issues where Matter-compatible thermostats could become unresponsive when paired to Apple Home

- Crash Detection optimizations on iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: iOS 16.4 has dropped :siren:

Nice, this may be the first OS update to thwart deadly weapons.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New emojis! Downloading now!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

What happened to the HomeKit stuff? Did it get yanked again or did they just not bother to mention it?

I did mine with 16.2 way back when and haven’t had any issues, but just curious since it seemed like they put it back in the 16.4 betas.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

quote:

Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and blocks out ambient noise around you
This means what exactly?

Didn't the phone do this already in some fashion, with what the secondary microphone in the camera bump? Or this some newfangled AI poo poo?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What happened to the HomeKit stuff? Did it get yanked again or did they just not bother to mention it?
Yeah, that too. That said, wouldn't that only apply to border routers, like Homepods, Apple TVs etc.?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

This means what exactly?

Didn't the phone do this already in some fashion, with what the secondary microphone in the camera bump? Or this some newfangled AI poo poo?

Yeah I didn’t understand that but either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I didn’t understand that but either.
Looking it up on Youtube, it seems some ML-based filter a la RTX Voice on NVidia cards, that cancels out anything that doesn't appear to be a voice. Supposed on work on the iPhone itself and any BT headset of choice.

E.g. this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRwvfSBE4d4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple Music Classical is downloading for some people