Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Zero VGS posted:

Folks, please, you don't need to spend all that money:

$27 - Box fan, 20-inches: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-White-Box-Fan-with-Save-Smart-Technology-for-Energy-Efficiency-B20201/203072133

$23 - FPR 10 filter, 20x20: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-20-in-x-20-in-x-1-in-Premium-Pleated-Air-Filter-FPR-10-HDX1P10-012020/315964939

$10 - get you four of these bungies: https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-48-in-Jumbo-Bungee-1-Pack-JBS48JUM/312600189

Put those together and you've got a $60 air purifier that quietly pushes a fuckton of volume and lasts like 6 months before you swap the filter. Look at how much poo poo I took out of the air:

Whats the return policy on the filters.

Also I've used a few of those box fans and I've never considered one quiet. The winix is actually quiet, and I like that it draws air from the front and directs it upwards. Looks nice too. That's worth the extra $40.

The box fan air purifier is fantastic for triage of serious air quality issues like a wildfire or if the whole house has chicken bakes. I have a fan already and I am considering running it in the basement full time which is just a dusty place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

norp posted:

The box thingy made with 5 of them someone posted above is apparently legit and despite the cost competes with commercial equipment.

The single filter attached to a fan probably struggles with airflow

Yeah Corsi-Rosenthal Cubes!

TenTonHammer
Oct 3, 2003
Davidian

:dukedog:
Ok, so I need to know 2 things.

1) When the gently caress are they bringing back the All American Chocolate Mini Cake 6 Pack thingies? My wife will kill me if they do not.

and 2) Who do we need to complain to to get that crunchy caramel cheesecake that I have seen pics of from other countries costcos? I must have this.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Speaking of new things, we tried out the gyro kit. It's totally fine. Nothing special, but a better deal than the local gyro place if you just want a basic gyro.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Speaking of new things, we tried out the gyro kit. It's totally fine. Nothing special, but a better deal than the local gyro place if you just want a basic gyro.

we didn't like it. the pita was really good (super small but whatever), but the chopped cukes, tomatoes, and onions were all really mushy and gross, and the tzatziki had no flavor. the gyro meat was pretty bland too. and what's up with the lettuce? no restaurants around here put lettuce on gyros. seemed like cheap filler.

we ended up just adding our own veggies to it. feta was a good addition, at least. C-

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Lol

I highly doubt that is equivalent to an Actual Air Purifier but you do you

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah I’ll just stick with my Winix lmao

ha ha yall are loving stupid

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lasko's are loud as poo poo compared to the Winix as well, so that build a box solution really only works for smoke/fire season emergencies or during a remodel or something.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Look at this loving idiot not duct taping furnace filters to a box fan like a college kid dealing with dorm room weed stink

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Saucer Hovers posted:

ha ha yall are loving stupid

imagine this being your second post at all in our Holiest of Threads, how fuckin embarrassing

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I need the PLASMAWAVE TECHNOLOGY to take care of all the harsh odors in my home.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I like the Winix for my tiny rear end kitchen that doesn't have any ventilation

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also I put one by the litter boxes and now that area smells excellent, that was an A+ decision

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I made one of these but made it two filters tall so i can sit inside it breathing the purist air you've ever seen I'm sitting inside it right now it keeps me safe from the poison

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bagmonkey posted:

Also I put one by the litter boxes and now that area smells excellent, that was an A+ decision

Make a corsi rosenthal box but reverse the fan and put the litter box inside it.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Don't sleep on the Homedics air purifiers if you can find them. I'm very happy with mine. It works great, is quiet and kind of compact. I sleep with it right next to my bed and the sound doesn't bother me at all.

It's even got a spot to add scented oils, if your room really smells that bad.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Butter is $4.49 CAD - stocking up! (4 of these are for my SIL)

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Blasphemy. Support your local gyro place.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Blasphemy. Support your local gyro place.

My local gyro place recently changed their portions from "$20 for a plate that is enough food for dinner and tomorrow's lunch." to "$20 for a small lunch." I'll be understanding that food prices have gone up, and maybe they can't afford to do the big portions anymore. But I can't justify going there.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tiny Timbs posted:

Look at this loving idiot not duct taping furnace filters to a box fan like a college kid dealing with dorm room weed stink

This but unironically. I thought this thread would respect value and be unswayed by ripoff purifiers that need to look like an oversized Apple product to appeal to your caveman brains.

Love to put my name on something that's been known for decades, to make it sound sciencey and get a Wikipedia entry, like I'm some San Francisco Hipster Startup inventing public transit for the fiftieth time.

edit: I'm so tilted I'm making a detour to Costco for a dog to spite you all. A Costco Spite-dog.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 27, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I'm not surprised that you think it's equivalent to an air purifier, but it's not

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

A Groverfilter is technically fine much in the same sense that a Groverhaus is. It works; you got to build something; and, if you’re already married or otherwise invested in a long term relationship, what are all the extra bells and whistles really going to do for you?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It’s not cute but it is way cheaper and at least as effective as, if not better than, commercial air purifiers. The “Corsi” guy is the dean of engineering at UC Davis and probably not a huge moron.

This study has some nice colored graphs for you to look at: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.09.22268972v1.full

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

doth any man need recline on more than a few two-by-fours mounted in cinderblocks? Me, enlightened thinker, thinks not

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Corsi Cubes are great and very effective at cleaning the air, but they're also loud as poo poo. I got the Costco winix and am very happy with it, nice and quiet until you turn it up to 'turbo' speed, but even then it's much quieter than my corsi.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d rather just pay the extra $50 for something I don’t have to make myself with duct tape.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

It’s not cute but it is way cheaper and at least as effective as, if not better than, commercial air purifiers. The “Corsi” guy is the dean of engineering at UC Davis and probably not a huge moron.

This study has some nice colored graphs for you to look at: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.01.09.22268972v1.full

No one's disputing Corsi cube efficacy, we're talking about a box fan with bungee cords on a filter, hth

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I save my box fan money and just wave the filter through the air by hand. Bing bong :20bux: saved for hot dogs instead

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Costco's website has a good deal on the Kitchenaid Stand mixer. You get the upgraded 6 quart model with extra attachments for around the price of the standard model

https://www.costco.com/kitchenaid-6-quart-bowl-lift-stand-mixer.product.4000142124.html

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Is anyone else’s rear end ripping chicken bake farts?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pencilhands posted:

No because no one else in here eats the drat thing.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pencilhands posted:

Yeah, but you’d never know it ever since I started taping furnace filters to my keister.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

This but unironically. I thought this thread would respect value and be unswayed by ripoff purifiers that need to look like an oversized Apple product to appeal to your caveman brains.

Love to put my name on something that's been known for decades, to make it sound sciencey and get a Wikipedia entry, like I'm some San Francisco Hipster Startup inventing public transit for the fiftieth time.

edit: I'm so tilted I'm making a detour to Costco for a dog to spite you all. A Costco Spite-dog.

did u try and return a dusty used air filter after 3 years or what geez

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
box fans also use a lot more electricity, and the winix is designed to be used on auto so it runs low-medium unless you are filling the room with farts in your sleep

For absolute air cleaning pure quality only, the corsi box and a $100 air purifier are probably the same, but then the corsi box takes up way more space, makes way more noise, uses more electricity, and saves maybe couple bucks or so depending on how often you need to replace filters.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

norp posted:

The box thingy made with 5 of them someone posted above is apparently legit and despite the cost competes with commercial equipment.

The single filter attached to a fan probably struggles with airflow

Correct. The increased surface area distributes static pressure over the entire area of surface media:

quote:

Airborne virus particulates range in size from 1 to 50 microns (μm). Rosenthal used his HVAC company's testing equipment to run an informal test of the design, in which he found that around 60% of 1 μm particles were removed by the system, and almost 90% of 10 μm particles were removed.[9] Clean air delivery rates (CADR) of a US$75 design were estimated at between 165 and 239 (depending on fan speed) in an August 2021 case study by UC Davis researchers.[19] In October 2021, Corsi told GBH News that "People are now reporting 600 cubic feet per minute (280 L/s) in clean air delivery rates. That's phenomenal. That's actually better than a lot of the more expensive HEPA-based portable air cleaners".[10]

Single filter not bad, just that a better way to do it exists.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
You all know that tipiak pull apart cheese bread?

Wife and I both got home late from work tonight so dinner tonight was one of those and a can of tomato soup.

A+ easy lazy 15 minutes dinner would eat again. It was like a punched up grilled cheese.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Still arguing desperately against a humble, cost effective homemade air purifying solution to protect the profits of Corsi and BIG AIR PURIFIER
:goonsay:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Idk how to embed TikTok videos but please watch this TikTok video

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRvqSgyt/

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

FCKGW posted:

chinese spy detected

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

he’s CEO now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Smugworth posted:

Still arguing desperately against a humble, cost effective homemade air purifying solution to protect the profits of Corsi and BIG AIR PURIFIER
:goonsay:

I'll tell you another secret. If you marinate some raw beef strips overnight in half Worcestershire half Soy Sauce with your choice of other seasonings, (Lea and Perrins / Kikkoman / Lemon Pepper are all sold at Costco) and put them between two (brand new) filters, then strap all that to the box fan, you'll have a giant pile of delicious jerky after the fan dries them and the marinade cures them. Taping around the two filters will keep the beef pristine if you're paranoid about particulates.

Part 2 of the Alton Brown tutorial from years ago is gone from YouTube but there's plenty of recipes, just google for "Box fan jerky": https://altonbrown.com/recipes/homemade-beef-jerky/

I'd like to see your fuckin' Winix do that.