Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Dessel posted:

I presume this thread has already established that the Crime Planet/system (M'talas) was named after him in a previous Trek show? I only know because I was curious whether the planet had been previously established in Trek lore.

yeah, it first shows up in a line on enterprise. from memory alpha:

quote:

The Enterprise NX-01 visited M'talas Prime during its historic mission of exploration in the mid-22nd century. In 2152, while stranded on an uninhabited and rapidly heating moon with an Arkonian named Zho'Kaan, Commander Charles Tucker III reminisced about some of the experiences he had while on Enterprise, including seeing the ringed moons of M'talas Prime. (ENT: "Dawn")

there's also a planet straight up called "Matalas", apparently

quote:

Matalas was a planet where Doctor Phlox was once nearly overwhelmed by fifty patients in a refugee camp.
In 2151, Phlox recalled this event to Dr. Jeremy Lucas in a correspondence, while relaying the incident in which Enterprise NX-01 encountered a pair of astronauts from Valakis. (ENT: "Dear Doctor")

how much of this was brannon braga and how much of it was terry (his assistant) is not something they go into, but the guy clearly loves putting himself in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DaveKap posted:

If Picard has taught me one thing, it's that I'll enjoy "characters I like doing good acting in a bad show" before I'll enjoy "characters I couldn't give any shits about doing bad acting in a bad show."

I hear you, but for me the trouble is Picard has turned several characters I liked into the latter group. Like Picard himself, a formerly good actor who is no longer good at acting and/or doesn't give a poo poo about acting for this show.

I'm also on the fence about nuWorf. On one hand, doesn't really act or talk like Worf. On the other, Worf's biggest thing was being a wildly inconsistent dude who sucked but you loved anyway. NuWorf is wildly inconsistent and sucks, so I suppose it's classic Worf in a way.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
re: 'demand': I appreciate the responses, but I'm definitely not any happier for the answers. :(

Khanstant posted:

I'm also on the fence about nuWorf. On one hand, doesn't really act or talk like Worf. On the other, Worf's biggest thing was being a wildly inconsistent dude who sucked but you loved anyway. NuWorf is wildly inconsistent and sucks, so I suppose it's classic Worf in a way.

Everybody keeps talking about how they think Worf's dialog is nailing it but it's not landing for me. All his little quips, asides, and misunderstandings make him sound more like classic Data to me.

My Second Re-Reg fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 27, 2023

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Wee Bairns posted:

The reanimated corpse of Jim Kirk is the final boss.

Also, turns out Section 31 apperantly has Archer on ice too. Section 31's collecting captain corpses like they're Pokemon.

Their extensive statistical analysis has discovered that Captains Archer, Pike, Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway possess the unique and largely inexplicable ability to cause complicated sequences of events to be able to be representable in a roughly 50-minute reenactment. Research into genetically engineering a perfect captain-protagonist who can reduce a galaxy-ending conflict into a particularly tense two-parter is ongoing.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

blastron posted:

Their extensive statistical analysis has discovered that Captains Archer, Pike, Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Janeway possess the unique and largely inexplicable ability to cause complicated sequences of events to be able to be representable in a roughly 50-minute reenactment. Research into genetically engineering a perfect captain-protagonist who can reduce a galaxy-ending conflict into a particularly tense two-parter is ongoing.

The instability between the need for coffee and the need for tea has been an issue they are not yet able to overcome

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

putting all the captain dna in a big stew like it’s loving serpentor

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

he had no choice but to feature m'talas prime heavily. if he hadnt, all the people would be crying out, why isn't this happening in m'talas prime, what happened to m'talas prime. his hands were frankly tied

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
terry really didnt want to feature new jersey so heavily. he really didnt. but you see it was one of the only habitable areas he could choose from following world war iii, having been featured in the 22nd century already. we should not envy him for his creative burden. its a thankless job

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Alan_Shore posted:

It wouldn't have been a heist. It's a Starfleet museum. They probably just beamed aboard, took it, and beamed back. Glad they didn't waste time on it.

I don't know that it needed to be a heist but... it needed to be something more than just showing us a CGI bird of prey, a few lines of exposition, and then suddenly our heroes have a 100 year old cloaking device that somehow still works.

It just comes off as a cheap, unearned nostalgia play.

What if we had visited the Starfleet Museum towards the beginning of the season where we learned from Georgi that the Bounty was being moved there from a Museum by San Francisco Bay (Where is loving should be)

Now our heroes know where they can get a cloaking device and we can have a scene where they return to Athan Prime and have to convince Geordi to help them for old time's sake.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Crusader posted:

putting all the captain dna in a big stew like it’s loving serpentor

Thats what Jack is, he looks like Kirk, sounds like Picard. Whoa.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Boy you guys will be mad when the new hero ship saves the gang in the episode 10 is the Matalas-class Enterprise F. (Not to be confused with the planet M'Talas, entirely different.)

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

xerxus posted:

Boy you guys will be mad when the new hero ship saves the gang in the episode 10 is the Matalas-class Enterprise F. (Not to be confused with the planet M'Talas, entirely different.)

And Terry guest starring as the Captain.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
good: Shaw geeking out with LaForge

bad: Shaw literally using the term "geek out"

It's becoming clear that Jurati played a crucial role in the ecosystem of PicardShow's writing room, serving as the de facto Joss Whedon Character. With her gone, we end up with Quippy Worf and "Excellent use of the word 'burgle'" Riker.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"excellent use of the word 'burgle' felt like something an aide to a CEO would say as a suck-up line while both are standing on a golf course, except it's self-congratulatory writing from someone who might be upper-class or managerial enough to think it's normal. The writer for the episode was previously executive producer for 16 episodes and 31 episodes of 9-1-1 on FOX

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 27, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“Excellent use of the word burgle, sir” could straight up be Smithers talking to Mr. Burns.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That line has the feeling of a dumb offhand comment made in the writer's room that got turned into an inside joke and then wrote into an episode.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

burgle isn't even a particularly novel word, what the hell was up with that

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

stuart scott posted:

burgle isn't even a particularly novel word, what the hell was up with that

It's an ancient word from 200 years prior.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

love to give myself a little pat on the back after googling 'stole tehsaurus'

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Sounds like Matalas's astroturf campaign was successful and Star Trek: Legacy just got greenlit because the Toilet Lord is in full on making GBS threads and pissing meltdown mode over his #TrustedSources today:

https://twitter.com/doomcock/status/1640483034213552131

You kinda love to see it in a hosed up way.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

nine-gear crow posted:

Sounds like Matalas's astroturf campaign was successful and Star Trek: Legacy just got greenlit because the Toilet Lord is in full on making GBS threads and pissing meltdown mode over his #TrustedSources today:

https://twitter.com/doomcock/status/1640483034213552131

You kinda love to see it in a hosed up way.

I really don’t dude, and I wish you would find/make some other thread to gawk at pop culture fascists and their incomprehensible babble in

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Wait, so if the fascists hate the Captain Shaw Show does that mean it's OK to like it? I'm so confused. :confused:

[spoiler]Don't care, I will continue to stan the Captain Shaw Show anyway.[/spolier]

galagazombie posted:

Really hate how this season seems to basically be saying “Bashir was wrong . We should have genocided the changeling menace when we had the chance! Coexistence is naive!” Like they’ve set up the universe where xenophobia doesn’t just work, it’s downright the most optimal choice.

Maybe if these are a splinter group of Changelings maybe Worf should just call Odo and have the Main Changelings take care of these assholes. Presumably they'd be better at detecting them and stopping them than Solids. (I know René Auberjonois is gone, but I also feel they wouldn't go there because this is the TNG nostalgia show with a tiny bit of Voyager thrown in, with no room for DS9.)

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Astroman posted:

(I know René Auberjonois is gone, but I also feel they wouldn't go there because this is the TNG nostalgia show with a tiny bit of Voyager thrown in, with no room for DS9.)

The thing that gets me the most is that for something that is being billed as the "TNG nostalgia show," there is shockingly little actual TNG nostalgia here. There wasn't even a Galaxy-class in the fleet museum, we saw examples of ships from every other show era except for the one most of the main cast are from!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Penitent posted:

I don't know that it needed to be a heist but... it needed to be something more than just showing us a CGI bird of prey, a few lines of exposition, and then suddenly our heroes have a 100 year old cloaking device that somehow still works.

It just comes off as a cheap, unearned nostalgia play.

What if we had visited the Starfleet Museum towards the beginning of the season where we learned from Georgi that the Bounty was being moved there from a Museum by San Francisco Bay (Where is loving should be)

Now our heroes know where they can get a cloaking device and we can have a scene where they return to Athan Prime and have to convince Geordi to help them for old time's sake.

It feels like that would have added nothing and just wasted time while many people in this thread whined about MEMBERBERRIES AHHH STAR TREK 3!!

3 posted:

The thing that gets me the most is that for something that is being billed as the "TNG nostalgia show," there is shockingly little actual TNG nostalgia here. There wasn't even a Galaxy-class in the fleet museum, we saw examples of ships from every other show era except for the one most of the main cast are from!

They are most probably saving the D (ooh err) for later, not as a quick cutaway like Voyager.

At least, they better be!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

3 posted:

There wasn't even a Galaxy-class in the fleet museum, we saw examples of ships from every other show era except for the one most of the main cast are from!

There's a reason why a Galaxy-class wasn't shown at the museum and it's one of the shows worst kept secrets

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
They could have given us a Sovereign class then if they aren’t saving it for later.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Astroman posted:

Maybe if these are a splinter group of Changelings maybe Worf should just call Odo and have the Main Changelings take care of these assholes. Presumably they'd be better at detecting them and stopping them than Solids. (I know René Auberjonois is gone, but I also feel they wouldn't go there because this is the TNG nostalgia show with a tiny bit of Voyager thrown in, with no room for DS9.)
I thought they were a splinter group.

Which, y'know, still raises the question of why Worf isn't calling Odo.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Seemlar posted:

There's a reason why a Galaxy-class wasn't shown at the museum and it's one of the shows worst kept secrets

The federation obviously sold the rights to the Galaxy-class to the Ferengis in a particular bad deal.

The federation always get screwed in every deal they make with the Ferengis but for some reason they still keep on making them. :shrug:

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

angerbeet posted:

“Excellent use of the word burgle, sir” could straight up be Smithers talking to Mr. Burns.

This is perfect and I hate it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

angerbeet posted:

lol this was literally what i thought right after hearing the line

you can even hear it in his voice

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

3 posted:

Stargazer was there. This series has referenced that ship a lot considering what an awkward kitbash design it is (I’ve always liked it anyway).

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

dr_rat posted:

The federation obviously sold the rights to the Galaxy-class to the Ferengis in a particular bad deal.

The federation always get screwed in every deal they make with the Ferengis but for some reason they still keep on making them. :shrug:

“This time we’ll negotiate back our past losses and get a good deal”
“Ah well, nevertheless”

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

I thought they were a splinter group.

Which, y'know, still raises the question of why Worf isn't calling Odo.

I thought Odo called Worf and alerted him to the splinter group of Changelings in the first place? And they're keeping quiet to prevent an interstellar incident.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I'm quite enjoying this new season.

This is rather faint praise. I certainly wouldn't say it's good, and if it wasn't for the first two absolutely awful seasons I might be singing a different tune, but it looks and sounds good, it features old favourite characters quite prominently and makes an effort to at least do some decent spacecraft scenes.

The writing is still a bucket of poo poo, but after the first two seasons it's rather expected. So when it's not entirely awful, it's a welcome surprise. I would usually be pretty irritated by the blatant Nostalgia baiting, which historically has been absolutely nauseating in the Disco, Lower Decks and the other Star Trek properties. But it's not bothering me so much in this. Perhaps I've just been beaten up with it so much that i'm starting to accept it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Seemlar posted:

Which is at least somewhat smart to omit it from the museum tour. I still say the Titan having the Connie layout is a mistake for the same reason

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Gaz-L posted:

I still say the Titan having the Connie layout is a mistake for the same reason

Particularly given the design has no relevance to TNG era, and when another Star Trek show is airing as we speak that also heavily leans on the 'remember this ship?' design.

Would have been a more appropriate nostalgia play to make the Titan look more like the Sovereign class.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love how we both have the nu-Connie in SNW as well as the literal copy-pasted old one in Picard for some reason. Good work, guys!

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I love how we both have the nu-Connie in SNW as well as the literal copy-pasted old one in Picard for some reason. Good work, guys!

The non-refit actually fits in with canon. In the TNG episode where Scotty comes back, Relics, he has his scene on the holodeck with the simulated bridge of the OG Enterprise.

Picard joins him and immediately recognizes it as a Constitution class, and says there's one at the fleet museum.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

3 posted:

I don't have the episode handy at the moment but one of the LaForge kids said something about a specific bay of the museum right after they mentioned that all the modern ships are networked. I'd bet real money (though not a lot) that that's where the D is being refurbished for a big surprise at fleet week Frontier Day.

They are absolutely going to have the Enterprise D ride to the rescue with the whole original crew at their stations with the TNG theme blaring and it will make me cry in spite of myself.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gangringo posted:

I don't have the episode handy at the moment but one of the LaForge kids said something about a specific bay of the museum right after they mentioned that all the modern ships are networked. I'd bet real money (though not a lot) that that's where the D is being refurbished for a big surprise at fleet week Frontier Day.
That’s probably what it is, although I find it weird that the Enterprise E’s fate was listed as ‘classified’ in some thing the producers put out about the Enterprises