Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shageletic posted:

feel like we've had this same dumb conversation before where people were talking about knowing people who died because their coke was laced with fentanyl and other people still saying nah lol

Because anecdotal evidence isn't evidence of a trend its just evidence that "a thing happened"

Law enforcement have pointed to isolated incidents of tainted drugs as proof that all drugs are potentially fatally tainted since before most of us were born

There isnt a lot of economic sense in tainting your product with a contrary substance that is also hard to mix (famously insoluable) and often fatally lethal. Usually non-stimulants only make their way into the coke supply when dealers WANT to kill a client, not as a means to make an already incredibly addictive substance more addictive

Miss me with studies that cite police provided statistics as evidence this is happening

If any goons actually had real friends and real family rather than "people they know" die to this, my apologies to those goons, but i get the feeling this is anecdotes of anecdotes more than it's not. The isolated cases of this occurring can be explained away the same way they always have: dont borrow or steal from people who sell drugs

Edit: and for real i dont get the "it makes it more addictive" argument when were talking about literally loving cocaine, you want to talk about a product that doesn't need any help, lmao.

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 22:58 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

we only managed to learn a single lessons from the last baby formula poisoning:

https://twitter.com/RadioGuyChris/status/1526150975920013312?t=k2f5Y_HrA5HqL7ZwVu66bA&s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mirthless posted:

Because anecdotal evidence isn't evidence of a trend its just evidence that "a thing happened"

Law enforcement have pointed to isolated incidents of tainted drugs as proof that all drugs are potentially fatally tainted since before most of us were born

There isnt a lot of economic sense in tainting your product with a contrary substance that is also hard to mix (famously insoluable) and often fatally lethal. Usually non-stimulants only make their way into the coke supply when dealers WANT to kill a client, not as a means to make an already incredibly addictive substance more addictive

Miss me with studies that cite police provided statistics as evidence this is happening

If any goons actually had real friends and real family rather than "people they know" die to this, my apologies to those goons, but i get the feeling this is anecdotes of anecdotes more than it's not. The isolated cases of this occurring can be explained away the same way they always have: dont borrow or steal from people who sell drugs

Edit: and for real i dont get the "it makes it more addictive" argument when were talking about literally loving cocaine, you want to talk about a product that doesn't need any help, lmao.

You and your stupid bullshit.

Number 1 killer of people btwn 18-45 is fentanyl: https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/12/23/fentanyl-now-biggest-killer-americans-18-45-years-old/

quote:

From 2012 to 2018, overdoses that involved cocaine more than tripled. Over 14,500 people died from overdoses on cocaine in 2018. Of the 14,666 cocaine overdoses, approximately three-quarters of those involved opioids, like fentanyl.

In 2017 alone, more than 28,000 overdoses involved fentanyl. Additionally, in 2018, fentanyl was found in almost half of all opioid overdoses in Wisconsin, West Virginia, Rhode Island, Oklahoma, Ohio, New Mexico, New Hampshire, Missouri, Massachusetts, and Maine.

https://www.addictionresource.net/blog/fentanyl-laced-cocaine/

I love you're mentioning loving anecdotes tsince you don't have that and I personally know multiple ppl that have died bc of it to the extent ppl carry around supplies to test for fentanyl when partying

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
You do understand that the media just replaced opiates with the word fentanyl here right

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Also

"We've seen a very significant rise in mortality," said Dr. Nora Volkow, head of the National Institute of Drug Abuse, who spoke Thursday as part of an on-line gathering of the American Society of Addiction Medicine.

Volkow said people are often consuming fentanyl "unbeknownst to them," resulting in a spike in overdose deaths.

According to preliminary figures released earlier this month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, synthetic opioid fatalities rose by an unprecedented 55% during the twelve months ending in September 2020.

(The CDC says overdose death data is reported after a roughly six-month lag because of the challenges of collecting accurate information from jurisdictions around the country.)

Deaths from methamphetamines and other stimulants also surged by roughly 46%, an increase Volkow said is linked to fentanyl contamination.

"It's rare to find people who only overdose on cocaine or who only overdose on methamphetamines," she said. "Fentanyl is being used to lace the illicit drug market because it's very profitable."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This poo poo is loving personal to me Mirthless. Is there anything backing up your point other than your hard to fathom confidence?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
Synthetic opioids include oxycodone big pharmaceutical thanks you for your service

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Homegrown content for the thread. The out of touch $10k table computer janitor believes in the bell curve.

Hadlock posted:

IQ denialism is a very weird and fringe position

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus posted:

The mission of the FDA and EPA is to cover-up and distract

Edit. Yeah China knows how to handle a baby formula scandal lol

i deal with the FDA on a semi-regular basis and the best way to describe them is the bureaucracy from Futurama

they didn't find the bacteria, they just found that the manufacturer had found the bacteria in a test

then they evaluated the manufacturers response to finding the bacteria and what the manufacturer had done on their own after the failed tests, all while the facility was still in operation

then they leave for awhile to issue a finding and a request for a response. At that point the company can try to impress the FDA with a voluntary recall of scope to be decided by the manufacturer. The FDA will evaluate this months or maybe a year later to see if they actually are impressed.

Somewhere in all of that bullshit babies died. The original manufacturer never actually stopped making formula or identified the root cause of the bacteria and killed babies by not handling the situation correctly internally on their own. That's why politicians are blaming the company and not the oversight agency since it doesn't really do a lot in the way of prevention. They only really activate and force recalls once the damage is done.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 23:21 on Mar 27, 2023

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

lmao yikes Hadlock

here's a doomy chart

https://twitter.com/lines_down/status/1640475727102636033

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

the bitcoin of weed posted:

we only managed to learn a single lessons from the last baby formula poisoning:

https://twitter.com/RadioGuyChris/status/1526150975920013312?t=k2f5Y_HrA5HqL7ZwVu66bA&s=19

Extremely centrist voice: A few babies starving is the price we pay to let billionaires profit off them starving.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1640426072578859008?t=OjMYjg5zkcSTCo4T5zV_HQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/darioperkins/status/1640271965352075264?t=TYZomgbuiCM4CT2bTYD2pw&s=19

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i would like some free money please

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mr Hootington posted:

Homegrown content for the thread. The out of touch $10k table computer janitor believes in the bell curve.

Jesus Christ. 24 hours is not enough

Edit:

Nothus posted:

The mission of the FDA and EPA is to cover-up and distract

Edit. Yeah China knows how to handle a baby formula scandal lol

The US is a nation that won’t even do anything about school shootings; why would it care about baby formula deaths?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Chillgamesh posted:

Extremely centrist voice: A few babies starving is the price we pay to let billionaires profit off them starving.

lol a friend of mine whos baby has to drink nutrigemen? (super low allergy formula) literally has his internet friends all over the US trying to hunt down cans of it on and off because the supply chain is so stuttery. His kid is just getting fully onto solids now so its no longer going to be a thing but I was even trying to order him formula here in WA to ship to MA bc no one could find any locally for months.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we've been in a recession for like a year

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

World Bank sees average global growth to dropping to 2.2% through 2030

https://twitter.com/as_a_worker/status/1640440142539128832

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

Global lost decade

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Needs a negative sign

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

silicone thrills posted:

lol a friend of mine whos baby has to drink nutrigemen? (super low allergy formula) literally has his internet friends all over the US trying to hunt down cans of it on and off because the supply chain is so stuttery. His kid is just getting fully onto solids now so its no longer going to be a thing but I was even trying to order him formula here in WA to ship to MA bc no one could find any locally for months.

It might still be worth it to get it and ship it to him if you can/willing, because babies on Nutramigen (and other minimal ingredient/specialty formulas) often still have to take it for a few to several months after they start solid foods, as a very slow, gentle transition.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the tendency of the rate of profit is something something

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Father Wendigo posted:

This thread needs something to cheer things up. Who's game for some LOL-CRIMEZ?

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1640406074330169370?t=nS3mx-tkqdRmB6gk5qLLTA&s=19

crypto morons love making my_crimes.txt lol

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

lol imagine paying people more lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's not a bailout tho!! Don't look behind the curtain!!

https://twitter.com/NickTimiraos/status/1640426072578859008

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

By God that's Karl Marx's music

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mr Hootington posted:

Global lost decade

Oh good, another one.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

RUNAWAY PETE! CAN'T KEEP THE TRAINS FROM RUNNING INTO EACHOTHER

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

it's gotta be possible for trains to derail less often than this right

trains are derailing less.

but derailments are involving more hazardous materials and more serious hazardous incidents. so they’re becoming much bigger loving deals.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mirthless posted:

So you have a gut feeling that fentanyl is basically a giant conspiracy and toxicology reports are being doctored nationwide? Guess I can add you to the growing list of clueless dipshits who should be ignored under all circumstances

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/BaileyHurleyVNL/status/1640477928780595200?cxt=HHwWgICw7YH_ksQtAAAA

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
One of the best pages in the history of the thread so far

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

more Binance CFTC complaint deets

It's getting lost in the rest of the thread, but I'm actually having a little mini-meltdown about this. This is just ... wildly illegal. Unbelievably, incredibly, holy poo poo what the gently caress that I can't even believe it illegal. The largest bitcoin exchange in the world has just been provably indicted by the US government with an absolute slam dunk case. Like, far worse than Enron ever was.

https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1640399359949918208
https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1640422469751193611

They have legit grounds to dismantle the entire crypto infrastructure. And people seem to be just glossing over it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Shageletic posted:

This poo poo is loving personal to me Mirthless. Is there anything backing up your point other than your hard to fathom confidence?

He's a loving moron.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

RockyB posted:

It's getting lost in the rest of the thread, but I'm actually having a little mini-meltdown about this. This is just ... wildly illegal. Unbelievably, incredibly, holy poo poo what the gently caress that I can't even believe it illegal. The largest bitcoin exchange in the world has just been provably indicted by the US government with an absolute slam dunk case. Like, far worse than Enron ever was.

https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1640399359949918208
https://twitter.com/Cryptadamist/status/1640422469751193611

They have legit grounds to dismantle the entire crypto infrastructure. And people seem to be just glossing over it.

:sickos:

death to crypto

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Nothus posted:

By God that's Karl Marx's music

:bahgawd:

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Vox Nihili posted:

So you have a gut feeling that fentanyl is basically a giant conspiracy and toxicology reports are being doctored nationwide? Guess I can add you to the growing list of clueless dipshits who should be ignored under all circumstances

No, my argument is that:

1. The infiltration of Fentanyl into other drug supplies is overstated
2. The impact of pharmaceutical opioids (and to a point, non-opioids) is being understated (in a variety of ways)
3. The people controlling the outflow of all of the numbers on this subject have a history of lying to us about what these numbers mean (see: crack vs cocaine)

Fentanyl is a very real and huge problem mostly impacting the domestic heroin and benzodiazepine supply, because you can pass an opiate for one of those drugs to somebody who isn't really paying attention. You can't sell fentanyl to people looking for a stimulant because they will instantly know they don't have a stimulant. Is it happening? Sure. Is this the norm? I doubt it. I don't doubt that the standard for your average drug dealer is "pretty evil", but I won't dehumanize addicts to this degree, sorry

quote:

I love you're mentioning loving anecdotes tsince you don't have that and I personally know multiple ppl that have died bc of it to the extent ppl carry around supplies to test for fentanyl when partying

I have personally used a reagent kit to test drugs before and while fentanyl is certainly a thing you should be testing for, the main reason you test is to find like analogues and adulterated product which mainly happens for cost effectiveness reasons; Methamphetamine gets cut into or swapped for MDMA all the time, for example. Are there people out there putting fentanyl in everything? Maybe? But that's not usually what you're actually looking out for when you're buying stimulants.

The media has worked very hard to make the broader opioid epidemic into an issue that is solely about fentanyl and the broader addiction crisis into an issue with drug use/addicts rather than issue with access to clean drugs; I don't see a need to feed the hysteria

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 00:25 on Mar 28, 2023

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Shageletic posted:

Also

"It's rare to find people who only overdose on cocaine or who only overdose on methamphetamines," she said. "Fentanyl is being used to lace the illicit drug market because it's very profitable."

polypharm overdoses are super fun for responders too because either the cops gets there and magdump all their nasal narcan into them and they’re combative by the time I get there, or I barely ease some IV narcan in them trying to titrate respers and they come roaring out of the overdose super agitated and hypoxic like the loving hulk.

it’s happened enough that I’ve been tempted to forego narcan altogether, tube them immediately and transport.

Orbis Tertius
Feb 13, 2007

Mirthless posted:

yeah, thank goodness the invisible hand keeps distributers in unregulated black markets in check so only the purest and safest drugs are ever sold to consumers.

dealers intentionally killing their clients? hey, even invisible hands deserve a day off.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Lies, if it was spilling antifreeze there wouldn't be any snow. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

this gets a huge lmao from me because the IPCC has put out like what 26 of these? all pointing to dire existential planet ending prospects without action (and none will be taken that arent just veiled wealth transfer projects) and the IMF pits out one doomsday book with the consequences being “you will not make more money all the time forever without coordinated broad action” so of course they will instantly take coordinated and broad action.

lmao.