Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dangit well what is The Maiden of Oreleans?

Nevermind I'll look it up.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles update: I don't really like the show for the most part but the sequence with the FBI raid in S1E9 was really good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

credburn posted:

The Sarah Connor Chronicles update: I don't really like the show for the most part but the sequence with the FBI raid in S1E9 was really good!

IIRC, the story goes that they originally planned to make that into a big action scene, but ran into problems, so they had to cut corners and accidentally created one of the most famous and well-liked moments of the show.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I was thinking that it was perhaps a compromise of standards of violence on television from that era. It is a really well executed scene though, being able to convey all the action of an otherwise expensive heavy action scene with something nuanced and suggestive.

This show sure immediately gets stupid, though.

I'm a bad terminator now. Why? Because explosion made me goofy. Now I'm a good terminator. Why? Uhhhh because I made a promise not to kill you? What the gently caress?

also: Why the gently caress do they keep sending John to school? Even in 2008 or whatever this was filmed in, there comes a point where your picture is so well known and connected to things that -- also what is even the POINT of trying to blend in? So John can grow up and be a senator if things work out? Also: "John, you need to go to school," she says, and the next scene shows John with a hosed UP FACE in the hallway. Yeah, this kid who clearly cuts his own hair and still has what seem to be open wounds all over his face, that's a great way to stay under the radar john loving connor

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

What does DARK stand for?

it's just how I mistakenly thought the title was styled.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Suleman posted:

IIRC, the story goes that they originally planned to make that into a big action scene, but ran into problems, so they had to cut corners and accidentally created one of the most famous and well-liked moments of the show.

The scene where the Latino gang explains 9/11 to Sarah? That had already happened by that point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hockles posted:

The scene where the Latino gang explains 9/11 to Sarah? That had already happened by that point.

Hahaha I was in tears

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
It was a beautiful time for just random entertaining trash, Legend of the Seeker, The Dresden Files, Chuck. Just piles of fun time-killing nonsense that really scratched that Hercules/Xena vibe..

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

I was thinking that it was perhaps a compromise of standards of violence on television from that era. It is a really well executed scene though, being able to convey all the action of an otherwise expensive heavy action scene with something nuanced and suggestive.

A lot of the best parts of movie and TV are like that, when they can't do the big speccy action bits and are forced to actually do more with less. Like how a lot of cartoons have pretty evocative and even genuinely scary horror episodes and they aren't allowed to have any of the shock, gore or explicit death, especially given how many horror movies devolve into schlock that's barely trying to be scary.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the best parts of movie and TV are like that, when they can't do the big speccy action bits and are forced to actually do more with less. Like how a lot of cartoons have pretty evocative and even genuinely scary horror episodes and they aren't allowed to have any of the shock, gore or explicit death, especially given how many horror movies devolve into schlock that's barely trying to be scary.

The 'Jaws' factor. Even Jurassic Park made use of the technique to build up a huge amount of suspense leading into the big budget action sequences. (The Jurassic Park sequels ..... not so much)

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't necessarily agree. I mean, wasn't Dark Fate like within the last 5 years? Don't people mostly consider that one the true 3rd film?

Dark Fate is an incredibly underrated sequel to T2 and I will fight unfollow on youtube anyone who says otherwise. Everything it does, from the aforementioned establishment that the conditions that created Skynet will inevitably create an equivalent threat, to making white women sacrifice themselves for a WoC who represents hope for future now moreso than John did in 1991, to the bad terminator mimicing modern law enforcement (border patrol) to become a greater systemic and personal threat than the "unkillable cop" of T2, it's all perfection. I seriously doubt the taste and judgment of anyone who considers T2 a perfect sequel to the Terminator but is dismissive of the brilliance of Dark Fate. Also as someone said upthread of Carl's lines, of all the followups that have featured Arnold it has the best comedic delivery of a couple lines that don't beat you over the face with a pair of sunglasses.

Seriously, 1991 was so long ago. People need to get over the idea that a mouthy tween is the inalienable main character and let the best modern Terminator movie/sequel to T2 be recognised.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 'Jaws' factor. Even Jurassic Park made use of the technique to build up a huge amount of suspense leading into the big budget action sequences. (The Jurassic Park sequels ..... not so much)

And even then supposedly Jaws was a result of the animatronic shark sucking so they had to work around it. Similar with other stuff in kids cartoons, the DCAU in general coming to mind, where they allude to things they can't outright show or say in a way that's not particularly ambiguous to an adult but provides just enough plausible deniability to a kid or the censors. See also way back in the Hays Code.

Limitations often spur creativity because they make people have to think about what they're doing when they otherwise have the obvious option in front of them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Not Evans posted:

Dark Fate is an incredibly underrated sequel to T2 and I will fight unfollow on youtube anyone who says otherwise. Everything it does, from the aforementioned establishment that the conditions that created Skynet will inevitably create an equivalent threat, to making white women sacrifice themselves for a WoC who represents hope for future now moreso than John did in 1991, to the bad terminator mimicing modern law enforcement (border patrol) to become a greater systemic and personal threat than the "unkillable cop" of T2, it's all perfection. I seriously doubt the taste and judgment of anyone who considers T2 a perfect sequel to the Terminator but is dismissive of the brilliance of Dark Fate. Also as someone said upthread of Carl's lines, of all the followups that have featured Arnold it has the best comedic delivery of a couple lines that don't beat you over the face with a pair of sunglasses.

Seriously, 1991 was so long ago. People need to get over the idea that a mouthy tween is the inalienable main character and let the best modern Terminator movie/sequel to T2 be recognised.

Dark Fate sealed the deal of being the true T3 movie in my eyes when John Connor got blasted in the first 2 minutes.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

CainFortea posted:

Dark Fate sealed the deal of being the true T3 movie in my eyes when John Connor got blasted in the first 2 minutes.

It's pretty good. Cameron was more directly involved also, I gather.

Edit: luckily there can be as many Terminator sequels as there are time loops so it's basically pick your own canon at this point.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Sarah Connor Chronicles S2 E10: There's a scene where they're bringing out this cadaver and it slowly zooms into its face and you can clearly see the dead guy's eyes moving around under his eyelids. This is a subtle nod to the fact that nobody gave a poo poo about this show by this point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And even then supposedly Jaws was a result of the animatronic shark sucking so they had to work around it. Similar with other stuff in kids cartoons, the DCAU in general coming to mind, where they allude to things they can't outright show or say in a way that's not particularly ambiguous to an adult but provides just enough plausible deniability to a kid or the censors. See also way back in the Hays Code.

Limitations often spur creativity because they make people have to think about what they're doing when they otherwise have the obvious option in front of them.

The Hays code was dogshit don't defend it

e: for the record I get what you're saying but despite forcing novel approaches to circumvention the hays code had an absolutely dire effect on creativity for decades. It's shocking just how modern some of those pre code movies feel

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 12:05 on Mar 29, 2023

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
In the Miyazaki film, Whisper of the Heart, there is a scene fairly early in the film where the protagonist witnesses an antique clockwork mechanism depicting a fairly tale, in which a dwarven prince and elf princess are in love but are constantly separated. The elf lives in the world above, the dwarf below, also the elf spends a bunch of time transformed into a sheep. You know, classic fairy tale stuff. So, the story in the clockwork is very clearly the essence of the plot for the entire film, that isn't the subtle part. What is subtle is that almost every sequence involving the two main characters constantly places them at different heights in the shot. Which character is placed physically higher (so, who is looking up and who is looking down) changes depending on which role that character is currently filling in the plot. Even when the two characters are both on the same level, so to speak, it's intentionally at points in which they are emotionally connecting as equals, and always in short bursts that mimic the brief glimpses the dwarf and elf have of one another in the clockwork mechanism. In fact, the film constantly plays with height and verticality all the way through, using it to represent various different aspects of the story.

I love that film so much. First time I saw it, I was so confused. I remember thinking "it was fine, I guess? But nothing really happened the entire time. It was just two hours of a teenage girl existing." It stuck with me though, and I eventually re-watched it and was totally absorbed. It's one of those films that I feel like I can find new details in every time I see it. The entire film is basically just a web of subtle moments. Pound for pound, I'd actually say it's the strongest film to come out of that studio and I'm always surprised it doesn't get talked about as much.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If you don't bawl during Country Roads, your heart is a stone. That movie rules.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

This girl's shirt in S2E12 of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Mmmhmmmm

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

credburn posted:

This girl's shirt in S2E12 of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Mmmhmmmm

No ring.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've been watching the first few episodes of The Bear on Hulu. It's a drama about working in a kitchen. It captures that pretty well imo. Except there's more sex and drugs. :ssh:

I'm a massive Ghostbusters fan, so anytime I see it referenced I'm thrilled. It pops up in episode 4.

Apologies for the pictures of my TV. Hulu de-synchronizes subtitles after ads on my PC so I can't get screenshots that way.

and in the next shot...

That's not subtle, but this is. There's a Groundhog Day poster in the backround and out of focus in the restaurant.

The story takes place in Chicago, so I'd assume somebody involved has a connection to Second City or the Harold Raimis Film School.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I didn’t know they made a Bear video game.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

(❔) Cousin Richie will remember that

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I didn’t know they made a Bear video game.

Press F to say "Chef", Chef.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Not particularly subtle, but I appreciated the costuming choice.

In this episode Columbo is investigating a candidate for congress, a married man who is sleeping with his secretary (pictured here).

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That's as subtle as a shotgun to the face but I still like it.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Her favorite chipmunk is Alvin?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I read the scarlet letter for school but don't remember much

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Waste of Breath posted:

Not particularly subtle, but I appreciated the costuming choice.

In this episode Columbo is investigating a candidate for congress, a married man who is sleeping with his secretary (pictured here).

I don't get it. Columbo always wears a trenchcoat.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Her favorite chipmunk is Alvin?

I'd be careful talking about the chipmunks as a mod

Jedit posted:

I don't get it. Columbo always wears a trenchcoat.

Green sits opposite red on the color wheel--the color of his tie and her top set them in opposition, reinforcing the tension in this scene as he works to find out the truth. The green bush surrounding her emphasizes that she feels backed into a corner by his line of questioning.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Waste of Breath posted:

I'd be careful talking about the chipmunks as a mod

Green sits opposite red on the color wheel--the color of his tie and her top set them in opposition, reinforcing the tension in this scene as he works to find out the truth. The green bush surrounding her emphasizes that she feels backed into a corner by his line of questioning.

How do you know she's got a green bush? I've been around, but even I can't tell just by looking at them clothed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tenkaris posted:

I read the scarlet letter for school but don't remember much

You remember enough to get the reference, at least.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Oh I thought she was scared of getting caught and was going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

jazzyjay posted:

Oh I thought she was scared of getting caught and was going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

She's only guilty of violating the A's code

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Last night I was hungry but I had already brushed my teeth so I swallowed a whole string cheese like a pill. My brother came over and said “check this out” and started dripping a stream of water down my back, but actually it was not water it was CA glue, like four ounces of it. Someone poo poo in the pantry

e: wrong thread

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

e: oops

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

freeedr posted:

Last night I was hungry but I had already brushed my teeth so I swallowed a whole string cheese like a pill. My brother came over and said “check this out” and started dripping a stream of water down my back, but actually it was not water it was CA glue, like four ounces of it. Someone poo poo in the pantry

What was the right thread?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if that's the subtle moment in the movie i think i would want to see more

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Post Your Favorite: Derail Valley › PYF Subtle Movie Moments: I swallowed a whole string cheese like a pill

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

freeedr posted:

Was this a David Lynch movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

A Real Horse posted:

What was the right thread?

I'm guessing either the "post your dream" thread, or the "post your latest psychotic break" thread