Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Horseshoe theory posted:

Will Ben-Gvir have the same trajectory as Ernst Röhm? :thunk:

Does he have a crush on Netanyahu, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Israel getting color revolutioned was not a possibility I had given much thought to.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

Israel getting color revolutioned was not a possibility I had given much thought to.

the far-right religious parties absolutely threaten business interests but they've never been in government before until now iirc

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Subvisual Haze posted:

This isn't that. Israeli politics is basically like Alabama or Mississippi state politics but without any preexisting federal protections for anyone.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This isn't that. Israeli politics is basically like Alabama or Mississippi state politics but without any preexisting federal protections for anyone.

yeah this is a decent analogy, like if the white church freaks there started passing laws from leviticus and the chamber of commerce flipped out. they both still hate black people

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://mobile.twitter.com/JohnMappin/status/1640296004699185153

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1640473145856655360

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

i say swears online posted:

the far-right religious parties absolutely threaten business interests but they've never been in government before until now iirc

Yeah, they were basically Kingmakers rather than material minority members so they'll prop up Likud (and years ago, Mapai/Labour) in return for controlling the religious aspects of the government and unlimited money for their constituents to be in Yeshiva all day or whatever. This is the first coalition where they're big enough to have forced serious cabinet posts, etc. as part of the coalition forming with Bibi.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
All of these protests in Israel are just the crooks making sure they all get a share of the pie, this has nothing to do with any sort of humanity or democracy or anything like that. once this is over they'll happily go back to oppressing others.

My biggest wish is that netanyahu acts like an arab dictator and makes the situation far worse for israelis, because that's probably the shortest way forward for palestinian liberation, but sadly that probably wont happen and that once this is over they'll go back to happily being an apartheid poo poo hole. Sadly that shitstain country is not gonna collapse inwards.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the elections of the last few years have produced such narrow majorities that i keep waiting for likud to ban nonzionist parties to free up a good 10% of the knesset for wiggle room

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

the elections of the last few years have produced such narrow majorities that i keep waiting for likud to ban nonzionist parties to free up a good 10% of the knesset for wiggle room

they try this each time, the courts stop them
when the judicial reform passes Balad and the communists are insta gone i think

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

now that's mappin

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
Is there a good English article on what, concretely, the judicial reforms are?

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Is there a good English article on what, concretely, the judicial reforms are?

wikipedia is your best option probably

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've been thinking about this for the last few days and the thing I keep coming back to is that even though it's not a complete 1 to 1 comparison because Israel doesn't have a constitution and we do, but I would 100% support the elimination of the SCOTUS. Why isn't it just a good thing that the supreme court in Israel isn't able to overturn anything that the elected representatives want to do just because they don't like it? The idea that the supreme court is supposed to act as some guardrail on the vile poo poo that the Israeli voters vote for their representatives to do is patchwork bullshit. Of course the Knesset doesn't actually represent all the people that they govern but the counterweight to that is supposed to be that hopefully the random people that are on the Israeli supreme court are less frothing fascists than the median Israeli voter?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I've been thinking about this for the last few days and the thing I keep coming back to is that even though it's not a complete 1 to 1 comparison because Israel doesn't have a constitution and we do, but I would 100% support the elimination of the SCOTUS. Why isn't it just a good thing that the supreme court in Israel isn't able to overturn anything that the elected representatives want to do just because they don't like it? The idea that the supreme court is supposed to act as some guardrail on the vile poo poo that the Israeli voters vote for their representatives to do is patchwork bullshit. Of course the Knesset doesn't actually represent all the people that they govern but the counterweight to that is supposed to be that hopefully the random people that are on the Israeli supreme court are less frothing fascists than the median Israeli voter?

bibi is doing it so that he cant be in trouble but many israelis are still waiting for him to be in trouble for some crimes he did a while ago.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

hasent he been under investigation for like years and years now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yes, thats why last week they essentially gave the prime minister immunity by making sitting pms impossible to remove but now he needs the knesset to trump the supreme court so its ironclad in case they try and gently caress it up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

this op/ed covers it
https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/israel-crisis-not-about-democracy-liberal-zionist-supremacy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the knesset is actually way more representative of israel's (citizen) population than the US's electoral system. it's just evidence how much they suck

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

the knesset is actually way more representative of israel's (citizen) population than the US's electoral system. it's just evidence how much they suck

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

mcmagic posted:

Its all pointless bureaucratic bullshit that would have 0 practical impact on the average Israeli, the funny part is that millions will go out in the streets and general strike over it but loving crickets over everything else israel does. Perfect example of liberals as fascists

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Terminal autist posted:

Its all pointless bureaucratic bullshit that would have 0 practical impact on the average Israeli, the funny part is that millions will go out in the streets and general strike over it but loving crickets over everything else israel does. Perfect example of liberals as fascists

I think it's somewhat likely that the state will become a little more theocratic but if it does Israeli voters are just reaping so i don't really care that much.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

the protestors got two months delay and in the meantime to appease the coalition the government is gonna create an official SA, which will be ready to beat on protestors in the next round. outstanding accomplishment in lib protest history.

not to put too fine a point on it but isn't this more or less the exact same trajectory Germany followed?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

30.5 Days posted:

not to put too fine a point on it but isn't this more or less the exact same trajectory Germany followed?

Nation State Law came in a bit earlier than Nuremberg Laws if we’re comparing the sequence

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

This.

Israel is very democratic. It's just that 85-90% of its population are frothing at the mouth fascists who are mad they aren't genociding fast enough.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Last time they bombed Gaza the polls on whether it should continue were almost shockingly aligned with the % of non-arab residents in Israel

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i dont think its very democratic to deny any real rights to 30% of your population

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

HallelujahLee posted:

i dont think its very democratic to deny any real rights to 30% of your population

it is when you have a baby's understanding of "democracy=whatever the majority wants goes".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

it's like 47%

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

seems like capitalism is kind of unstable

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I respect this honesty far more than losers like Blake.

PawParole has issued a correction as of 07:48 on Apr 3, 2023

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Zionism sucks but an Israeli absolute monarchy would be so funny in a sadistic way.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

Zionism sucks but an Israeli absolute monarchy would be so funny in a sadistic way.

it is more likely than you think

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Echo Chamber posted:

isreali iran would be so funny lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

It's coming.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1643402737311268869
https://twitter.com/QudsNen/status/1643412605963214849

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Every single member of the IDF should be killed

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

paul_soccer12 posted: