Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Started on my Messer F1 tonight. The really spared no effort engineering the chest portion to do sick sit-ups did they? :stare:

edit: Has anyone tried the Odenkan brand paints yet? Newtype started promoting them, and I'm wondering if they're worth the fuss.

So the Messer F1 is a land of contrasts. On one hand, the chest portion is incredibly over-engineered to achieve sick crunches, and they individually molded the spines on its shoulder armor. On the other hand, this thing feels like a hand grenade, with the skirt armor and engine bells constantly threatening to explode off their mount points. It's a big fucker too, giving the Kshatryia a run for its money.

Now I need to figure out a paint scheme. I'm not sure if I want to stick with the canon appearance, or do something custom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I know there was some talk about pledge future no longer existing, but I was curious and picked up a bottle quick shine. It's milky when you pour it into an aibrush, but it's a a clear gloss when you spray it and is very similar to future. Good stuff, so pick it up.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I finished my first gunpla, which was mostly to get used to it enough to do one I wanted. I found doing the panel lining with a marker super tedious, though, and saw that a lot of people use Panel Line Accent Color, where they can just dab it on a line and it fills most everything up. That said, some warned that you need to put a laquer layer on top or it's gonna crack. How often does it crack if I don't laquer? How thoroughly do I need to laquer it to avoid cracking? I'd worry about missing part of it or not covering it enough, but I don't want to over spray it.

Also, is the dark grey accent color a good all rounder? It's all my hobby store had.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

One day I hope to have a camera that isn't a potato.

Those tiny little planes still get me every time. At least with this kit they're technically part of the transformation bit, and the manual makes it very clear "Yo, paint this poo poo" since it shows them on a four pronged action base all painted up.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The RGs of the Impulses are really good, try tracking one of them down!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I finished my first gunpla, which was mostly to get used to it enough to do one I wanted. I found doing the panel lining with a marker super tedious, though, and saw that a lot of people use Panel Line Accent Color, where they can just dab it on a line and it fills most everything up. That said, some warned that you need to put a laquer layer on top or it's gonna crack. How often does it crack if I don't laquer? How thoroughly do I need to laquer it to avoid cracking? I'd worry about missing part of it or not covering it enough, but I don't want to over spray it.

Also, is the dark grey accent color a good all rounder? It's all my hobby store had.

The general method for using Panel Line Accent Color is to put a coat of Clear Gloss down first. This protects any paint you might have put on, as well as the plastic. I've never tried it on bare plastic if only because I've never had call to. I've not ever heard of enamel/oil paints (Panel Line, Mr. Weathering Color... all these are oil-based paints) cracking the plastic. At least no more than lacquer will. The solvents WILL gently caress up plastic if you submerge the plastic in it, but in the amounts involved in painting/weathering, there's no real issue.

If you want proof, spray something with a little lacquer thinner, then take another something and dunk it in acetone for a few hours, and note the difference. The dose makes the poison. Obviously do this with plastic you don't care about.

An even coat of gloss is all you need. The point is for the Tamiya ink to flow into the panel lines and recessed places, such that when you take your cotton swab dipped in lighter fluid to the model, the swab picks up the ink from the surface while leaving your color in the cracks. The gloss coat helps the capillary effect that the ink naturally has.

It sounds like you're starting with something on the cheap end to get practice in, which is good. Don't worry too hard at this stage. Experiment and learn what works for you. I started to intentionally get messy with my panel lining because I liked the dark patina I got when I didn't scrub off all of the black ink from the panel lining, to the point where on several parts I straight up washed them in the black ink to get that 'sooty' effect along with my black panel lines. I wouldn't have discovered this if I'd done the panel lining perfectly.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Is it better to spray the Mr. Super Clear on while they're on the sprues, use the Accent Color, then assemble? Will that get in the way of the stickers working?

Also, unlike my first build, which I think was an older model, the Xi Gundam I got has pieces that are barely on the sprues, so they sometimes just fall off while I'm cutting off excess sprues. Is that normal? Should I send down those areas as thoroughly? The stress mark, if it's there, is so tiny that I worry I'll do more damage trying to sand it off.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is it better to spray the Mr. Super Clear on while they're on the sprues, use the Accent Color, then assemble? Will that get in the way of the stickers working?

Also, unlike my first build, which I think was an older model, the Xi Gundam I got has pieces that are barely on the sprues, so they sometimes just fall off while I'm cutting off excess sprues. Is that normal? Should I send down those areas as thoroughly? The stress mark, if it's there, is so tiny that I worry I'll do more damage trying to sand it off.

It depends. I assemble everything first to understand how the model will look in 3D space, then disassemble down to sub-assemblies for painting. Sometimes this is individual parts, sometimes these are groups of parts that will all be the same color with some masked areas.

What matters is getting an even coat, so "full assembly then spray" will often make it hard to get an even coat on parts occluded by other parts.

Stickers and waterslides honestly work better on a gloss coat than on the bare plastic, so the short answer is no. The long answer is "go one step further and after you apply your decals put another coat of gloss over them to seal them in." I honestly gloss coat several times in my workflow.

1. After the initial paint job
2. After panel lining
3. After decals

I haven't done "real" weathering yet, but I'm expecting I'll at least be doing one more coat to seal in my weathering job.

As far as that stress mark, this is where you're running into the limits of what you can do with files and sanding. Depending on the part, the stress mark might be entirely hidden after assembly--this is a big reason why I do an assembly first. I got REAL lazy with some nub marks on my Messer that I knew were going to be internal only and never seen once assembled, painted, and posed. Because why spend five minutes obsessing over a nub mark no one will ever see and will never obstruct functions?

I don't have any experience with them, but Gundam/generic Paint Markers might be what you want here. You'll need to make some judgement calls: Will it be visible? If it is visible, is it noticeable? If it is noticeable, can I buff it out? If I can't buff it out, can I dab it with paint? If I can dab it, will the paint match? If it won't match, GOTO is it noticeable?

It is normal though. Sometimes parts get stressed in shipping, or the mold was wonky and the runners didn't bond that great. My Messer's shield was almost completely detached because the actual runner didn't bond where different parts of the mold came together.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Also, for the Panel Line Accent Color, is isopropyl alcohol good to clean it, or does it need to be paint thinner or mineral spirits? Sorry, throwing a lot of newbie questions, I'm getting a lot of mixed messages online.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1640500392202240001

quote:

From Bandai, "Mobile Suit Gundam G Frame FA God Gundam (Meikyo Stillwater Ver.) & Optional Parts Set" is now available! Limited to Premium Bandai, reservations will be accepted from 13:00 on March 28, 2023 (Tuesday).

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

They're going to get me to buy every single version they make

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doesn't included an angry bearded King, no sale.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't included an angry bearded King, no sale.

Look closer at the second image.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Also, for the Panel Line Accent Color, is isopropyl alcohol good to clean it, or does it need to be paint thinner or mineral spirits? Sorry, throwing a lot of newbie questions, I'm getting a lot of mixed messages online.

Lighter fluid

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcnj8KuAFOI

Gundam Build Metaverse, no date given, 3 episodes streaming on Gundaminfo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcnj8KuAFOI

Gundam Build Metaverse, no date given, 3 episodes streaming on Gundaminfo.

I swear to god if I hear the acronym "NFT" mentioned anywhere in there... :yikes:

(I assume it'll be another "Gunpla VRMMO" deal, but still)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's coming out in October, same as their real metaverse nonsense which gladly does not seem to have any blockchain nonsense

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Yeah it seems to just be a combination vr chat room and Gunpla store.

Edit: Bandai said they wanted it to bring Gundam fans together and from the announcement we found out that Sunrise considers people who just like the music to be Gundam fans. So sorry, Twitter gatekeepers, someone who has never seen a single episode or built a single model but really likes T.M. Revolution is officially a Gundam fan

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 28, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fluid is what you want. After your panel lining dries, wet a cotton swab with the lighter fluid, and gently brush it over the overspill until it comes off. Don't press too hard to avoid picking up the pigment inside the panel lines. It helps to work perpendicular to the panel line as well.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

boz posted:

Lighter fluid

Warmachine posted:

Zippo or Ronsonol lighter fluid is what you want. After your panel lining dries, wet a cotton swab with the lighter fluid, and gently brush it over the overspill until it comes off. Don't press too hard to avoid picking up the pigment inside the panel lines. It helps to work perpendicular to the panel line as well.

Cool, thanks!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Also you should really splurge and get like tamiya cotton swabs or something. The cotton in the regular cotton swabs are packed way looser and will often let the lighter fluid leak into the panel line.

I spent ten years getting so frustrated at panel lining before figuring this out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
They're also useful for transferring decals back and forth.

It's done, MG Strike RM in custom colours. I only put on the barest amount of waterslides because they weren't designed for this colour-scheme. A fantastic kit though for real even if you're not the biggest SEED fan. Next step is to figure out how to take good pictures with nothing but a smartphone and a room with dogshit lighting.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Great job. Really like the color scheme.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Close enough for government work. Blame the blur on being 5X zoomed on an iPhone to show that I molded in the sticker to put a reference point for where the clear pink paint goes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

It's done, MG Strike RM in custom colours. I only put on the barest amount of waterslides because they weren't designed for this colour-scheme. A fantastic kit though for real even if you're not the biggest SEED fan. Next step is to figure out how to take good pictures with nothing but a smartphone and a room with dogshit lighting.

Looks sharp!

Warmachine posted:

Close enough for government work. Blame the blur on being 5X zoomed on an iPhone to show that I molded in the sticker to put a reference point for where the clear pink paint goes.

Nice!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Pierson posted:

hell yeah. nice job!

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Not sure for how briefly, but RG Phenex shows up as available on us p-bandai for me https://p-bandai.com/us/item/N2500130001004

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"How small an LED do you need?"
"Yes."

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Sooooo who’s going for that HG Neo Zeong tonight?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IG-88 posted:

I'd give it a swing if I had $300 of slush right now. I've already bought too much hobby stuff for this spending cycle.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

IG-88 posted:

Here I was thinking I'd come to grips with what all the grades sorta meant

Is this like an issue where it would be as big as a person if it was any bigger than 1/144 or something

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

Here I was thinking I'd come to grips with what all the grades sorta meant

Is this like an issue where it would be as big as a person if it was any bigger than 1/144 or something

Yes. The HGUC Neo Zeong is already the size of a toddler at 1/144 scale.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Neo Zeong has an entire Sinanju as its cockpit. It is exceptionally big in-universe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’d want the Narrative version so I could recreate that scene from Battlogue where May piloted one

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gripweed posted:

I’d want the Narrative version so I could recreate that scene from Battlogue where May piloted one

Yeah that's the main attraction I have to it. I think there's an SD version I could get instead though?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

wdarkk posted:

Yeah that's the main attraction I have to it. I think there's an SD version I could get instead though?

There is.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Good news, that's the one that's up for sale.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Maybe I won’t be getting the Zeong lol

Saw the in stock button for 1 second and it was gone

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

IG-88 posted:

Maybe I won’t be getting the Zeong lol

Saw the in stock button for 1 second and it was gone

RIP.

I grabbed an Aerial 6 and the Morrocan GM, since I wanted a GM in the HGGTO style that isn't Guards or Intercept--AKA that looks like a classic GM but with more greebles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Good news, that's the one that's up for sale.

good thing I didn't find out until after it was sold out