Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (May 29-31, 1941)

How true! Punk rock would be starting to emerge in 30 years

https://www.liveabout.com/history-of-punk-rock-2803345

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

How true! Punk rock would be starting to emerge in 30 years

https://www.liveabout.com/history-of-punk-rock-2803345
Punk rock started to emerge in 1941?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

3/26

3/27

And that's it for the police arc!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Stolen from Jack Handey.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Zereth posted:

No, late 60s / early 70s, so I guess the comic is thirty years too soon

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, seven months after that cartoon a whole lot of men are going to get drafted and go under the barber's clippers, so maybe those kids aren't that far ahead.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

My wife is really starting to hate this one.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Maxwell Lord posted:

Stolen from Jack Handey.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. And it's not even "Oh he had a similar idea," the wording is almost exactly the same.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

No, late 60s / early 70s, so I guess the comic is thirty years too soon
Yeah, and it's one of the "remember 30 years ago? didn't that poo poo loving suck?" comics, so the events being shown are happening in roughly 1911.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Usagitetein

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

manero posted:

Nancy 1943

3/26

What exactly are those elevated... globe things? on either side of Nancy's desk there? From hazy recollections of old pop culture, I vaguely recognize them as something to do with old-timey police stations, but I have no idea what they actually are.

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Maxwell Lord posted:

Stolen from Jack Handey.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed. And it's not even "Oh he had a similar idea," the wording is almost exactly the same.

Do bear in mind that lately Family Circus is mostly in reruns from ~40-50 years ago. I don't remember this specific one, but lately there have been a LOT of specific strips circles that I do recall reading as a child in the paperback collections, circa the mid-80s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lamps.

To light up the balls of justice.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

Oh. I really thought Planck was deliberately putting one over on her.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Zereth posted:

Depends on how flexible you are with the meaning of 'emerge.'

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 24, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 17, 1956)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Crab Dad posted:

Lamps.

To light up the balls of justice.

Justice is stored in the balls.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/27/03

Brenda Starr 9/3/50

Smokey Stover 9/27/53

Everyday Movies 4/3/36

"I'm so glad you like guppies too, Wilbur; it makes a sort of bond between us."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/2/41

Featuring a resolution even more fantastic and unbelievable than a woman who can turn invisible!

Bonus Ad! Some guys get superpowers from spinach, others from peanut butter...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lmao

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Man. That's a rude awakening.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

I know this cartoon gets a lot of guff and frankly I agree with much of it, but it's perfectly captured here the expression of an animal about to use another living being as a chew toy just for the sheer unholy joy of it.
Silly penguin. Did you honestly think a dolphin would pass up the chance to kill for sport?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Drakyn posted:

I know this cartoon gets a lot of guff and frankly I agree with much of it, but it's perfectly captured here the expression of an animal about to use another living being as a chew toy just for the sheer unholy joy of it.
Silly penguin. Did you honestly think a dolphin would pass up the chance to kill for sport?

i found out recently that pilot whales will gently caress up orcas. or at least drive them out of the area. which is funny because they don't share the same prey but even other animals, that aren't chew toys to them, don't like orcas.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

i found out recently that pilot whales will gently caress up orcas. or at least drive them out of the area. which is funny because they don't share the same prey but even other animals, that aren't chew toys to them, don't like orcas.
In the course of looking up this cool information I found even MORE cool information so thank you VERY much today.

The unusual spectacle of an adult female killer whale spotted with the adopted – or abducted – calf of another species is causing experts to reassess orca behaviour posted:

Orcas, or killer whales, are apex predators, best known for their ferocious hunting techniques. So when a female was seen apparently caring for the offspring of another species, it came as a bit of a surprise. “I saw straight away there was something weird about it,” says Marie-Thérèse Mrusczok, who was working as a spotter on the Láki Tours whale-watching boat that witnessed the encounter.

The ship’s crew initially thought it was a very small killer whale calf swimming alongside the orca, but photos later confirmed what Mrusczok suspected – that the female, called Sædís, appeared to be looking after a newborn long-finned pilot whale.

The unique sighting happened near Snæfellsnes, west Iceland, in August 2021, and is now the subject of a research paper published in the Canadian Journal of Zoology. “It’s another level of empathy we see in these animals if they are capable of caring for another species,” says Mrusczok, who is president of conservation nonprofit Orca Guardians Iceland and a researcher at the West Iceland Nature Research Centre.
The question researchers have been unable to answer is whether the calf was adopted after being orphaned or abandoned, or whether Sædís stole the calf from its parents. “There are many possibilities … but what we can say for sure is that the female showed protective behaviour towards the pilot whale calf,” Mrusczok says.

The newborn was seen swimming in the “drafting” position next to the orca, which means it was getting dragged along by her and needed less energy for swimming. It is not known if the attraction from the calf was mutual, or how long their association went on for.

The pair were seen swimming together for 21 minutes, and were accompanied by two other adults – a female named Dragonfly and a male called Zale who are often together as a group. Dragonfly and Zale tolerated the calf, but it is not known if, or how, they interacted with it directly.

Orcas and pilot whales have similar social structures, forming strong, long-term bonds between mother and offspring, so researchers believe that caregiving between the species could be a possibility. Although the calf was emaciated, it did appear that it was being cared for by the orca.

Sædís has never had her own offspring over the nine years researchers have been following her, and so it is unlikely she was producing any milk that would have sustained the calf.

One theory is that the orca may have had a miscarriage or lost a newborn just before this encounter, and could have been looking after the pilot whale calf as a substitute, although there is no evidence to support this.

Groups of killer whales and pilot whales are known to chase and antagonise each other. Researchers believe they do this because they are competing over resources – in Iceland, probably Atlantic herring or mackerel.

In 2022, researchers saw something else they had not observed before: pilot whales coming back after being chased away. They did this three times. The researchers wrote in the paper: “It is possible that the movements of the killer whale group as a whole could have been influenced by an active effort of SN0540 [Sædís] to obtain another pilot whale calf.”

Rob Lott from Whale and Dolphin Conservation, who was not involved in the research, says: “These creatures spend the majority of their lives underwater out of view and often far out at sea, so maybe this extraordinary encounter isn’t that unusual. But what is exciting is that it’s the first time it has been documented.

“If it was an abduction or kidnap, this may go some way in explaining why long-finned pilot whales are often seen chasing pods of orcas away.”

Although this is the first time this behaviour, called interspecific alloparenting, has been observed in orcas, it has been seen in other cetacean species. Short-beaked common dolphins, common bottlenoses, Indian Ocean humpbacks and Indo-Pacific humpbacks have all been observed looking after the young of other species.

Mrusczok says: “Anything is possible – watching orcas has taught me I never know what’s happening. There is always mystery, there is always more to find out.”

Sædís was again spotted interacting with long-finned pilot whales in 2022, but the calf was no longer with her, and it is presumed to have died.
Poor whale. And, (though I can't believe I'm saying this) poor orca too. She just wants baby :smith:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
She's making do with a fur baby.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The NRA gives Tombstone an A++ rating, or Now, you may wonder why precisely Earp doesn't notice Ike leaving - well, I confess to some editorialising on my part (my apologies). In the original comic, Earp lets Ike go free, which I felt was completely... unhinged from what had just happened, or Campbell gets a fright

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Ah, so we're going to use our time travel to keep ourselves out of harm's way, not to warn anyone else about the eruption. Cool cool.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (May 2, 1935)

Peanuts (March 30 April 6, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 12, 1989)

This week's Crankshaft: a man weeps over his rapidly retreating youth while speculating what the cash-out price is going to be.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 27, 1939)

Olive & Popeye

Out Our Way (June 2-4, 1941)

The bold dream of a gasoline powered lawn mower. The "thirty years too soon" version would be the kid working the yard with a scythe, I guess.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 29, 2023

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Comic Strips 2023: an incident on a street view cam map

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
gently caress off, Zits writer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Wayne posted:

Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

If only there was some sort of pronoun for an inanimate object with no biological function. gently caress it. Guess we’ll never know.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Vehicles are always gendered. It's some sort of law.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
hey does anyone remember roughly when the Rex Morgan, MD "Sweeper" arc started? Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery