Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Zelda always reincarnates into her own descendants down a matrilineal line but there's nothing that really suggests the Links are biologically related in the same way. Link's background is almost always extremely vague and the few times we get anything more than 'orphan' or 'literally nothing' he seems to come from families with no relation to previous Links.

The most we know about any Link's families are Wind Waker, where he has a Grandmother who doesn't seem to think he's particularly related to the ancient hero, LttP where he has an unspecified uncle and BotW Link who was the son of a Royal Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My uncle leaked me the trailer from tomorrow and people are not going to be ready for Link's new voice actor or how much he cusses. Still I think JB Smoove actually fits the character really well

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Khanstant posted:

My uncle leaked me the trailer from tomorrow and people are not going to be ready for Link's new voice actor or how much he cusses. Still I think JB Smoove actually fits the character really well

Don’t threaten me with a good time.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zore posted:

Zelda always reincarnates into her own descendants down a matrilineal line
How does that work for Zelda 1 & 2, anyway? One of them just not an actual reincarnation, given 2's lore quip of "we just named all the girls Zelda, it's tradition"? I note the flowchart didn't actually mention Zelda for The Legend of Zelda (opting to talk about Ganon's return).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Khanstant posted:

All that time Link spent in the Shrine of Resurrection? He was really just recharging the Mitzvah. Gotta stay at optimal Mitzvah capacity.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hogama posted:

How does that work for Zelda 1 & 2, anyway? One of them just not an actual reincarnation, given 2's lore quip of "we just named all the girls Zelda, it's tradition"? I note the flowchart didn't actually mention Zelda for The Legend of Zelda (opting to talk about Ganon's return).

Probably, I don't think anyone really thought too hard about it. Hell they didn't even really lock in the whole reincarnation thing until Skyward Sword.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Didn't Brian David Gilbert go mad trying to plot out the Zelda timeline or am I thinking of some other franchise? Nope, it was BDG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-25c8Rsobw

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Khanstant posted:

My Uncle says Nintendo was so impressed with Chris Pratt in the new Mario movie they asked him to stick around and record links voice too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Khanstant posted:

I mean, the biggest issue with Breath of the Wild was that while Zelda got some really nice characterization through cutscenes as a bit of a dork completely out of her depth but refusing to give up, Link was just the usual blank for the audience to fill in however they want, so Tears of the Kingdom having the balls to give him any character at all would be a breath of wild air; even the slight character mostly inferred for Samus in Metroid: Dread. I think the reception to Samus having a voice and character in Metroid: Other M spooked them on giving their silent leads a voice and any definite character for good though.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Predictions?

Zelda is trapped underground and there's entire segments of the game where you play with her with the Sheikah slate runes from BOTW, and her main goal is to activate stuff for Link to use/explore on the surface

Dungeons are in the past or something and accessed through time portals

If we’re getting playable Zelda at all, this is 100% how it’ll happen

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

tsob posted:

I mean, the biggest issue with Breath of the Wild was that while Zelda got some really nice characterization through cutscenes as a bit of a dork completely out of her depth but refusing to give up, Link was just the usual blank for the audience to fill in however they want, so Tears of the Kingdom having the balls to give him any character at all would be a breath of wild air; even the slight character mostly inferred for Samus in Metroid: Dread. I think the reception to Samus having a voice and character in Metroid: Other M spooked them on giving their silent leads a voice and any definite character for good though.

Dread does give Samus voiced lines :v: Like 2, and they're Chozo, but she does speak.

And you get some extra Link characterization in some of the journals and the DLC. Nothing amazing, but it canonizes that he basically was going through the reverse of Zelda's arc in the past. He was a ridiculous monster of a child who was able to beat the poo poo out of adults in combat and pulled the Master Sword by the time he was 12 years old, Daruk also mentions a throw away about him casually parrying an errant Guardian's laser with a pot lid. So he was just casually excelling at everything he tried while people kept piling up expectations which crushed him from being an incredibly outgoing and outspoken child (per Mipha) into someone who talked as little as possible under the weight of the ever increasing expectations he was put under. And then he ultimately fails because he pushed himself too far at the exact moment Zelda finally succeeds.

I also remember some talk about the English translation specifically removing things that helped with that. Like in the Japanese version all the journal entries are written from his POV and give different thoughts and insights on the various missions (including him feeling a lot of self doubt about being able to save Zelda because he failed in the past). In the English translation its just a mission log without a lot of the flavor text showing Link's characterization so all of that gets pretty heavily buried.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

tsob posted:

I always thought that post resurrection Link was some mixture of Naive and Slightly Feral, going by some dialog choices.

He is Goku, is what I am saying.

EDIT: Then again, I am probably wrong. I thought I heard once that it was canon that after his resurrection that he was basically wiped clean of the person he was.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 28, 2023

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

tsob posted:

I think the reception to Samus having a voice and character in Metroid: Other M spooked them on giving their silent leads a voice and any definite character for good though.

The baby

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Zore posted:

Like in the Japanese version all the journal entries are written from his POV and give different thoughts and insights on the various missions (including him feeling a lot of self doubt about being able to save Zelda because he failed in the past).

I find this a bit suspect because all of the examples I can find don't include first person pronouns, so I think it can be read either way, and people like to believe that the Japanese version is superior for some reason.

EDIT:
The biggest piece of evidence people use is that the log uses "自分" which people mistakenly translate as "myself", but it's multipurpose and can mean "himself", "herself", "yourself", "oneself", etc.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 28, 2023

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I kinda liked the bit of characterization in BOTW and AoC that Link would immediately kneel in the presence of the King (and I think Zelda before he was officially assigned as her Knight). He's usually a guy who just shows up to beat the villain when he's interacting with the royals so it was interesting to see him as the incredibly dutiful knight.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tsob posted:

Dread gave Samus one line of voiced dialogue in a fictional language and it was the hypest poo poo of all time

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
AoC also made the smart choice by giving him a lot of physical comedy to do in the backgrounds of cutscenes. Also made sure we know Link can eat, and apparently enjoys, Goron rock roasts

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

MokBa posted:

My prediction is: this game will be good

:hmmyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

tsob posted:

Pre-BotW I might've been agreed to try and vocalize Link and characterize him more, and I think they do the latter much more than ever before with all the diary scenes and cw drama, but I really did not dig whispery British lady as the voice for her at all. They'd get even goofier with Link

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

I had never gotten around to playing Link Between Worlds and decided to make it one of my last minute purchases before the 3DS eshop shut down. Having played a fair amount of LTTP randomizer several years back, so far I am vibing extremely hard with the premise of "LTTP's map, but a bunch of things are ever so slightly off."

Have a feeling I'm going to like this one a lot.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Zore posted:

Dread does give Samus voiced lines :v: Like 2, and they're Chozo, but she does speak.

Yes and it was

Augus posted:

Dread gave Samus one line of voiced dialogue in a fictional language and it was the hypest poo poo of all time

They’ll never replicate how badass this moment was. The only words Link should ever say is “Come on!” in that cute lil Wind Waker voice.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

It wasn't voiced, but having Link demand the paraglider at every opportunity was great characterization.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Shiroc posted:

I kinda liked the bit of characterization in BOTW and AoC that Link would immediately kneel in the presence of the King (and I think Zelda before he was officially assigned as her Knight). He's usually a guy who just shows up to beat the villain when he's interacting with the royals so it was interesting to see him as the incredibly dutiful knight.

Agreed. iirc I don't think there's ever that scene of the king going "oh ho ho my boy, no need to kneel!" or whatever, in fact the majority of the time he doesn't even acknowledge him

It's also more meaningful in BotW because you know right off the bat that the kingdom is lost and the king is a sad fail ghost. royalty, decorum, duty... all feels so quaint and meaningless now

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I like how people always rag on the BotW soundtrack when at least from what I've played of them, a lot of the dungeons in the earlier 3D games had only very minimal ambient music loops and some of them were practically silent.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Augus posted:

I'm so glad I didn't get that spoiled for me, that line plus her theme hitting made me jump out of my seat.

I'm torn on watching the footage tomorrow because I really want to go into Tears as blind as BotW but I also feel compelled to see what Nintendo is cooking. I'm also curious if this means Nintendo is eschewing a dedicated Direct like their tentpole releases from last year got.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Of course the stream is literally the minute I start my work day so I’ll have to wait until my lunch break to watch.

Let’s all remember to use spoiler tags tomorrow!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sounds like someone should take a ten minute bathroom break

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wait, 7AM Pacific? What are you doing Nintendo, I thought you liked afternoon stuff :negative:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bosses make a dollar something something Nintendo directs on company time

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
10am EST. perfection.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, 7AM Pacific? What are you doing Nintendo, I thought you liked afternoon stuff :negative:

It's afternoon stuff in Europe :smug:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
some new poster art leaked

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well I guess there's no need to even play the game now.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So it looks like they're taking inspiration heavily from (speculation based on what real world cultural art style it might be) Superjail lmao that's a good poster

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m supposed to be running my teams biweekly roadmapping check-in at 10, just gonna go ahead and cancel that.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

I’m supposed to be running my teams biweekly roadmapping check-in at 10, just gonna go ahead and cancel that.

Probably could just be an email

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The Dave posted:

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime. That's why I poop on company time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

External Organs posted:

Probably could just be an email

The whole meeting is basically “here’s the backlog, I think we’re good, everyone agree?”. And serves as a way to get my boss to pay attention. Corporate America at its best.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

The Dave posted:

The whole meeting is basically “here’s the backlog, I think we’re good, everyone agree?”. And serves as a way to get my boss to pay attention. Corporate America at its best.

I too am a cog in a machine! :patriot:

Pretty fuckin excited for 10am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:siren: ONE HOUR