Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Checking on the Goon Bracket

None of us picked the champ. Four people picked UConn in the final four. Nobody had the Huskies in the title game, though, so we end here.

Whoever used the bracket name of placeholder is our champion. It is a particularly huge comeback for placeholder, considering this person picked Purdue to win the national title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK real talk, is Caitlin Clark the most gifted shooter in the history of women's basketball?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Grittybeard posted:

:lol: Clarke scoring or assisting on 38 of 41 points for Iowa to this point.

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/1640165286455246849?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

Caitlin Clark is the truth

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lmao at Clark hitting the You Can't See Me and the commentator just chuckling and going "I don't know what that means :)"

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
My forums connection is spotty but just in case I can't post again, I have one important thought:

Caitlin Clark

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

This is basically Iowa operating at peak efficiency. Clark is hitting, Czanino is hitting, Warnock/Marshall/Martin are hitting, it’s beautiful

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

In about 2 minutes Clark is gonna enter full Westbrook Mode until she gets that triple-double

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Iowa loving around here a little more than I'd think they'd like to.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

surf rock posted:

OK real talk, is Caitlin Clark the most gifted shooter in the history of women's basketball?

Range alone? Quite possibly.

Total. Eh, hard to say. Maya Moore was insane. Moore didn't have to do as much because, you known, UConn, but Moore was really, really, really good. Peak Ivory Latta was amazing to watch, too.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Cardinals gonna run out of time here but I feel like if the game were 5 minutes longer Iowa would be in real trouble.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Assuming SC bulldozes Maryland, Clark going up against SC is going to be something. Gonna take a performance like this to have a shot at the final boss of basketball.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Caitlin Clark is the most exciting Iowa player I’ve ever seen, no question. She loving rules

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

marioinblack posted:

Assuming SC bulldozes Maryland, Clark going up against SC is going to be something. Gonna take a performance like this to have a shot at the final boss of basketball.

You gotta assume whoever wins the Iowa-SC game is the extremely heavy favorite.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Iowa is still the underdog in my eyes but watching SC play these last few games I think there’s a way we can beat them. We’ll need everyone on their A-game but if we can get a performance out of everyone like we did tonight we can beat anyone in the country

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

marioinblack posted:

Assuming SC bulldozes Maryland

Just looked that up and that's a 1-2 matchup in that region and the line is SCar -15.5?

No one believes in the turtle I guess.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

I had to stop watching TX MIA. How did Texas go from leading all game to losing? What happened?

Seemed to run out of useful defensive adjustments in the end. Miami's slashing offense seemed to produce a bucket, foul, or an and-1 every possession, and they put on a FT clinic to convert. 25-of-27 at the line in the second half!

A lot of Texas fans online are complaining about the raw number of times Miami got fouls, but I don't recall too many egregious calls in the second half. The biggest point of contention seems to be the foul where Cunningham was boxing out Omier, and Omier jumped for the rebound and wound up going over Cunningham. It was initially called an over-the-back, fouling out Omier, but they changed it to a foul on Cunningham for undercutting him.

https://twitter.com/DoughtyBetMGM/status/1640138215938981890

I think the officiating was worse in the first half though. Second half was pretty much what you see a lot; one team can't stop the other on offense but to foul.

Isaiah Wong hit some insane shots in the second half too.

We were missing Dylan Disu pretty hard down the stretch. Went cold shooting for like 7 minutes straight and could not penetrate Miami's defense at all.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I think that boxout foul change at the end was correct. Cunningham backed up like 5 feet right in to Omier.

In general, I see a bunch of teams that seem to play drive and hope for a foul kind of offense, and as long as you hit your FT's, it works. I don't really like it, but it is what it is unless they just stop calling fouls as much. I don't watch that much NBA, so I'm not sure if they deal with the same thing too.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I won the work bracket :toot:

Had Arizona, Purdue and Texas in final four, with Gonzaga as champs. Lol.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Are you sure? What I'm seeing is the winner of the goon challenge had Purdue as the champ.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

In general, I see a bunch of teams that seem to play drive and hope for a foul kind of offense, and as long as you hit your FT's, it works. I don't really like it, but it is what it is unless they just stop calling fouls as much. I don't watch that much NBA, so I'm not sure if they deal with the same thing too.

Yeah, this is essentially the thing that doomed us. We didn't have a defensive scheme to stop it (Dylan Disu would have helped a lot), and Miami hit their FTs.

I wouldn't put it on the refs. It all happened at the end of the game, and neither team had really tried going full aggro before then, so this ":qq: they started calling the game different" doesn't really apply. And it was a real long stretch of the game, so we had time to adjust and just couldn't.

Hard to understate how much getting aggro, getting fouls, and hitting free throws made this win for Miami. They went 28-32 vs. 11-15 for Texas. Total domination at the line.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 27, 2023

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RC and Moon Pie posted:

None of us picked the champ. Four people picked UConn in the final four. Nobody had the Huskies in the title game, though, so we end here.

Whoever used the bracket name of placeholder is our champion. It is a particularly huge comeback for placeholder, considering this person picked Purdue to win the national title.

After day 3, I had the highest max possible score in the league. After day 6, I was entirely locked out of any remaining points.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm in fourth place in my pool which is the last spot that can get money, but I will fall out of it if UConn beats Miami which seems likely. Calling FAU to the elite eight carried me quite far.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Go Maryland go go go

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Maryland clearly came with a plan, but good loving luck doing this for 4 quarters

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I'm worn out watching SC play, can't imagine going against that for a full game.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

2023 Women’s NCAA Tournament: The first of the two Final Four games will be a top seed on a big winning streak against one of the most hatably successful coaches of all time. The main event is likely to be an iconic matchup between #1 Offense and #1 Defense featuring the defending national champs, the defending player of the year, the current player of the year, and one of the largest women’s basketball audiences of all time.

2023 Men’s NCAA Tournament: we picked 4 names out of a hat

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's funny that people are talking about this meaning we're in a true age of parity when last year was Kansas/UNC/Duke/Villanova.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

South Carolina and Iowa in the women's tourney should be a hell of a game, SC is undefeated this season

edit: this was on Indiana's home court too. looks like all the 1 seeds get the first two rounds at home

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJPZmUmBWI

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 28, 2023

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
VT vs LSU will be a pretty fun semifinal even if it's going to be overshadowed by the other game. It might end up being the better of the two games if Iowa is cold from the field.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

marioinblack posted:

VT vs LSU will be a pretty fun semifinal even if it's going to be overshadowed by the other game. It might end up being the better of the two games if Iowa is cold from the field.

We should drag LSU, hopefully the other game wears the winner out

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'd just like to thank the five minutes I had to fill out this bracket before I had to go into work.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
UNT wins by 2 after holding Wisconsin scoreless the last 9+ minutes of the game lol

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

UNT in the final baby.

I totally did not fall asleep during the 2nd half comeback

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Squashy posted:

UNT wins by 2 after holding Wisconsin scoreless the last 9+ minutes of the game lol

Can't believe it, happy to see it

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

UAB edges out Utah Valley, going on to play North Texas for the NIT Championship 🥳

Ugly and exciting overtime game rescued by Ty Brewer going 30-12-5.

Conference USA teams moving to American Conference next year are now 17-1 postseason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

This 1-3-1 zone is bullshit

UNT blew a 10 pt lead in 4 minutes, bunch of losers

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Mar 31, 2023

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

UAB alternates dogshit and effort. It's frustrating. Our "best" players are overrated, it's role players like Ty Brewer, Jemison, Buffen, and Lovan that hold the poo poo show together. I've watched nearly every game this year, it's very frustrating to root for a team with so much talent (except for mediocre ball handling) and such poor decision-making

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
UNT please for the love of god:qq:

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

We are so dumb lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011