Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Yes, I run a small business that I have a position in.

hell yeah brother

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the snow plows in Dallas are an F250 with the cow catcher swapped out for a blade and a set of Walmart brand chains. Not even an F350

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Speaking of Dallas, yesterday was fun, DFW shut down for a couple hours due to a bad thunderstorm with tornado warnings, hail, .etc. Lots of flight diversions and cancellations.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I fly into DAL on Tuesday, hope it keeps raining...

Vaminn
Jan 29, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

Speaking of Dallas, yesterday was fun, DFW shut down for a couple hours due to a bad thunderstorm with tornado warnings, hail, .etc. Lots of flight diversions and cancellations.

I was there watching all the inbound planes (including my flight home) diverting to OKC. It was amusing watching like 20 planes hanging out on the tarmac there waiting out the storms.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I was there as well, flagship was fine except they won’t turn on the tourney and kept it on espn / espn2

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Nothing like starting a trip with an equipment swap causing an involuntary downgrade. :rolleyes:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Even with status? drat.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY
It's a Tuesday. Why is every airport so busy. Surely spring break cannot be an entire month

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it sure is

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Even with status? drat.

320 to a 319, ain't poo poo status could do for me. I am going to get my upgrade cert back, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ah, it was an upgrade

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Debating getting a smaller hardshell to complement my Timbuk2 Copilot. I went and looked at the Rimowa Cabin S while here in Tokyo, and man, the dimensions on paper are supposed to be similar to my Copilot but it just looks so tiny.

I don’t end up on a regional jet that often — I was looking at the S because it caps at 8” vs the >9” typical of most carry-one. Just want something that will work for 3-4 day trips.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm not a fan of hard shell unless you're carrying some kind of equipment that requires a hard shell. Especially if the use case is to cram stuff in to RJ overheads, a little squishiness helps.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Landed at LAX this morning from SYD. Boarded my connection to get back to Seattle. Mid-taxi someone runs to the front, pops the emergency door, and slides off into the sunset. gently caress that guy I’m so sleepy and trapped on the tarmac now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Arzakon posted:

Landed at LAX this morning from SYD. Boarded my connection to get back to Seattle. Mid-taxi someone runs to the front, pops the emergency door, and slides off into the sunset. gently caress that guy I’m so sleepy and trapped on the tarmac now.

:rip:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arzakon posted:

king poo poo

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That dude is going to be having lots of fun with the TSA.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

That dude is going to be having lots of fun with the TSA.

Haha he’ll have some fun, but TSA would be uninvolved. They do not handle “secure side” apron security AFAIK. That’s going to be local police department and federal law enforcement.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

In case anyone was curious the automatic Delta "Customer Care" RDM squirt for a dude jumping down the slide is 7500. I'm just happy they sorted out a new plane in 3 hours I was sure I'd be stuck overnight. Also got 2500 when the attendant opened my meal it "wasn't the meatballs" but he wouldn't tell me what it WAS and gave me chicken instead. Today was weird I'm going to bed.

https://www.foxla.com/news/passenger-detained-at-lax-after-opening-emergency-exit-door-of-plane

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Arzakon posted:

In case anyone was curious the automatic Delta "Customer Care" RDM squirt for a dude jumping down the slide is 7500. I'm just happy they sorted out a new plane in 3 hours I was sure I'd be stuck overnight. Also got 2500 when the attendant opened my meal it "wasn't the meatballs" but he wouldn't tell me what it WAS and gave me chicken instead. Today was weird I'm going to bed.

https://www.foxla.com/news/passenger-detained-at-lax-after-opening-emergency-exit-door-of-plane

i feel like "dude popping the emergency exit" is more than 7500 miles, but that's just me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Buff Hardback posted:

i feel like "dude popping the emergency exit" is more than 7500 miles, but that's just me

Yeah I got 15k for “y’all had mech issues on a flight and delayed it 2 hours” but they do scale proportional to status

movax
Aug 30, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I got 15k for “y’all had mech issues on a flight and delayed it 2 hours” but they do scale proportional to status

I need to call Delta and ask for some miles; all IFE was inoperative on my HND-SEA flight. I was planning on sleeping but it was inoperative in the way that it just kept the bright-rear end white background ads going. It just conked out about a hour in for everyone and never came back.

Speaking of… anything up with Delta today? Flying out of LAS, seems like most of their 1300ish time slot flights have all slid to around 1530. If it slips again I’m tempted to call and ask for the scheduled 1545 flight…

E: lol I should have asked, though it seemed full. Still delayed, our FAs were late getting in due to SLC, but of course… crew might have timed out! Who could have seen this coming!

I hate domestic travel to leisure destinations.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 27, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Which reminds me I need to go complain about my six hour delay from Delta, I already got 2500 miles but I think they can do better than that

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Haha he’ll have some fun, but TSA would be uninvolved. They do not handle “secure side” apron security AFAIK. That’s going to be local police department and federal law enforcement.

I did a lot of security for airports and the TSA is still the agency with jurisdiction. It just won't be the TSOs you normally think of when you think TSA. The local cops will hand them over to the federal air marshal service.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Buff Hardback posted:

Which reminds me I need to go complain about my six hour delay from Delta, I already got 2500 miles but I think they can do better than that

I wonder how much I’ll get for this one.

I called Delta (DM line) and they said they did not have availability on Alaska’s later flight today… does their interline agreement only have a limited pool available?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what did experyflyer say in terms of availability

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KillHour posted:

I did a lot of security for airports and the TSA is still the agency with jurisdiction. It just won't be the TSOs you normally think of when you think TSA. The local cops will hand them over to the federal air marshal service.

Oooh interesting info, sorry I shouldn’t have stated it like I was confident about it, just little bits I’ve read or seen body cams around. Hope justice is served for that guy choosing to inconvenience and endanger others.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Oooh interesting info, sorry I shouldn’t have stated it like I was confident about it, just little bits I’ve read or seen body cams around. Hope justice is served for that guy choosing to inconvenience and endanger others.

No, you're good. The government be weird sometimes.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
What are the global entry renewal times like for anyone else? My wife put her renewal stuff in in last June and is still sitting at "Pending Review" in the online portal. It has the general language about a "significant increase in application volume" and that the grace period for benefits is extended, but this seems a little ridiculous at this point. I don't have a point of reference because my renewal processed and approved with no interview almost immediately due to (I assume) my job. So I am wondering what other people are seeing and whether this is normal, or she got hung up somewhere in the process and we need to figure out how to unstick it. Thanks!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds about right if they’re offering a 24mo grace period.

Online renewal for passports is like 12 weeks now. Just crazy how long it is taking.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah my wife did the online passport renewal on Dec 30 and got it March 20. Not expedited.

The new passports are pretty fancy though, with that hard plastic page with the photo and info. Come a long way from my first passport which I think was just a laminated real photo.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ROJO posted:

What are the global entry renewal times like for anyone else? My wife put her renewal stuff in in last June and is still sitting at "Pending Review" in the online portal. It has the general language about a "significant increase in application volume" and that the grace period for benefits is extended, but this seems a little ridiculous at this point. I don't have a point of reference because my renewal processed and approved with no interview almost immediately due to (I assume) my job. So I am wondering what other people are seeing and whether this is normal, or she got hung up somewhere in the process and we need to figure out how to unstick it. Thanks!

I can't 100% confirm the exact details but in the CBP portal it shows a payment date of February 10th and an approval date of February 11th. I think you pay when you apply so it was a one day turn around, no interview, and they reused my old picture on the new card. I am an ordinary schlub and don't have any sort of extra clearance/identification from my job so it sounds like your wife's application may have gotten lost/stuck.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ROJO posted:

I've also heard anecdotal evidence of them taking months, but not like that. I would go back into the application and re-verify everything because if you fat fingered something it can cause the automated checks to fail and put the application in a weird pending state. A resubmit after you make sure all her poo poo is clean may help.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
so is there some normal and cool and good way to get from ewr to lga? I'm doin barcelona in a few weeks and someone else booked my itinerary. my flights are den > ord > muc > bcn, returning is bcn > ewr / lga > den. the person who booked my travel says that I'll land in ewr and take "a super easy shuttle over to lga" but I don't trust this person. I land at ewr at 1440 and take off from lga at 1830, so I at least have some time I guess?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

ixo posted:

so is there some normal and cool and good way to get from ewr to lga? I'm doin barcelona in a few weeks and someone else booked my itinerary. my flights are den > ord > muc > bcn, returning is bcn > ewr / lga > den. the person who booked my travel says that I'll land in ewr and take "a super easy shuttle over to lga" but I don't trust this person. I land at ewr at 1440 and take off from lga at 1830, so I at least have some time I guess?

Uh, in a word...no. Doing the New York Shuffle™ from EWR to LGA is going to suck via almost any mode of transport unless you do it at like 3am or whatever. It's possible to drive from EWR to LGA in the time you have alotted, but flight delays, immigration and customs delays, baggage delays, and traffic delays are all part of the cornucopia of methods for you to get hosed over.

Do you have Global Entry for your arrival from BCN? Is the shuttle service pre-booked and specific to you or is it Super Shittle where you have to wait for others to join before the van will leave? Does the shuttle know to pick you up from Terminal B at EWR which is most likely where you will arrive and have they accounted for the possibility of your arrival being at C instead? Do you have checked bags? I would be extremely wary of this plan.

If you have to fly out of LGA, I'd be making a gametime decision on an Uber/Lyft from EWR based on traffic and travel time when you arrive. The alternative would be to take NJTransit to Penn Station and try to grab an Uber from there, but that may be just as bad or worse depending on what is happening with traffic on that day. Landing at 14:40 means you're going to hit a shitload of traffic somewhere along the way and four hours may be cutting it awfully close.

It's possible that the original plan will all work out fine, but I wouldn't have faith or trust in it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

The person who booked your travel hates you sorry you had to find out this way.

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

I’d make them change your flight, this isn’t impossible but it’s going to be miserable even if it works out. EWR-DEN on UA should be extremely easy

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Yeah, there is no good way to do that that you can count on, and I can't imagine that corporate travel change fees for a flight out of EWR would cost more than a pre-booked chauffeur EWR-LGA, which is the only option I'd trust. Even Uber/Lyft can get fucky at the NYC airports. And EWR-DEN is hub to hub, there should be multiple options to change to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Oh man, and I thought that poster who probably had to sprint the length of MSP had a bad connection. That's dire, sorry.