Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Filtering loot *is* trash design. (also as a pun ho ho ho)

No other game has a 'remove the tedious content' slider quite like it, e.g. could you imagine playing DOOM with a slider that cuts out all the smaller enemies, RTS's that have a slider to remove low tech units, etc etc. It's a "Fix the problem, not the symptoms" type of pitfall.

ARPGs are like MOBAS, some awful stylized mess that's just rehashing the same dopamine of a runaway hit decades ago through ever-more-degenerate mechanics. The genre really needs to be quarantined away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Other games call the 'remove the tedious content' slider "the difficulty level".

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Jack Trades posted:

D2 and D2-inspired games like Grim Dawn are so loving boring because you're just stacking numbers and I'm allergic to spreadsheets.

They're fun for me because I just play them and don't care about beating the very hardest difficulty levels.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Serephina posted:

Filtering loot *is* trash design. (also as a pun ho ho ho)

No other game has a 'remove the tedious content' slider quite like it, e.g. could you imagine playing DOOM with a slider that cuts out all the smaller enemies, RTS's that have a slider to remove low tech units, etc etc. It's a "Fix the problem, not the symptoms" type of pitfall.

PoE's filter capability is pretty flexible, it's not just "don't show common rarity items", you can also set it up to like specially highlight certain item types etc. -- lots of build guides have custom filter settings you can use when leveling that are built around items that may be useful to that specific build but relatively worthless to anyone not playing it.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
D3 was good because killing hordes of enemies was fun and it was very easy to find a fun-rear end build for killing those hordes of enemies. When you get to deep endgame the balance flips and you're stuck with fewer (or one) option, but the trick is that you're allowed to stop playing whenever you want, including when the game sucks or isn't as fun as it used to be.

I think most people hit a skill/effort or time wall before long they'd really butt up against any of the real build issues.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm failing to see the appreciable difference between "you get 99% trash and then 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow" and "the filter lets you more easily ignore the 99% trash and then the same 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

John Murdoch posted:

I'm failing to see the appreciable difference between "you get 99% trash and then 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow" and "the filter lets you more easily ignore the 99% trash and then the same 1% of the time a shiny drops and you go ooh wow".

Why are you engaging in this argument if the fundamental point of Diablo games is not to your liking? Nobody who actually plays these is going to agree with you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The Gripper posted:

D3 was good because killing hordes of enemies was fun and it was very easy to find a fun-rear end build for killing those hordes of enemies. When you get to deep endgame the balance flips and you're stuck with fewer (or one) option, but the trick is that you're allowed to stop playing whenever you want, including when the game sucks or isn't as fun as it used to be.

I think most people hit a skill/effort or time wall before long they'd really butt up against any of the real build issues.

Yeah, I played that game for hundreds of hours and never felt like my options were limited. I also never had to look up builds from external sources in order to have fun.

But I guess that's an insignificant amount of time for most ARPG fans :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yeah hundreds of hours is like, per league for a lot of us lol

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

John Murdoch posted:

It's the difference between going to the bathroom to take a poo poo and taking a poo poo in your diaper. Yes, they're both making GBS threads but one of them has you stop doing your activities and go to a room where you read the SomethingAwful forums until it ends while the other one doesn't even ask you to interrupt your live speech for the 2024 Republican nomination.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Ghostlight posted:

It's the difference between going to the bathroom to take a poo poo and taking a poo poo in your diaper. Yes, they're both making GBS threads but one of them has you stop doing your activities and go to a room where you read the SomethingAwful forums until it ends while the other one doesn't even ask you to interrupt your live speech for the 2024 Republican nomination.

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support posted:

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

makes sense, Win7 and Win8 will just get more and more vulnerable

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

How am I ever gonna finish Sam & Max now.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That can't be right Windows 7 only came out like 5 years ago.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Deakul posted:

You're gonna wanna hop back in that time machine, trust me

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Deakul posted:

Yep, exactly. Not gonna check on this one

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
It was drat near 15 years ago, feel my pain

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ragequit posted:

It was drat near 15 years ago, feel my pain

I feel it. Ow, my back.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

How am I ever gonna finish Sam & Max now.

By getting the remastered version that came out three years ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440440/Sam__Max_Save_the_World/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

By getting the remastered version that came out three years ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440440/Sam__Max_Save_the_World/

That's how they get you.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heeeeeeeeeeeeere's Dolphin

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1941680/Dolphin_Emulator/

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I still have my old compy around with a bunch of stuff installed. Hope that Steam offline mode really works so I can turn it on come the end of December!

spoilers: it doesn't work

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
DROP just uh... dropped 11 minutes ago. Am slam-buying it after that amazing demo, will report back.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never heard of Nintendo being referred to as "big N" before. I stopped using their console after the SNES years.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I suspect they just want to avoid mentioning Nintendo by name.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Coupled with the console allusions, they pretty clearly don't want to say EMULATE GAMECUBE AND WII GAMES

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

Never heard of Nintendo being referred to as "big N" before. I stopped using their console after the SNES years.

I use "The Hard N"

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Kanfy posted:

I suspect they just want to avoid mentioning Nintendo by name.
They're doing some pretty impressive work sidestepping using any Nintendo trademarks in that store page.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Scalding Coffee posted:

The Kins posted:

They're doing some pretty impressive work sidestepping using any Nintendo trademarks in that store page.
It's this.

Funny thing about IP laws is that it's not enough to be in the right. Like, it's "fine" for Dolphin to use Nintendo's trademarks specifically to identify Nintendo's products, perhaps with a disclaimer that the trademarks are Nintendo's and Dolphin is unaffiliated. But, in doing so, there's just enough room for Nintendo to create a "consumer confusion" argument, and threaten lawsuit to ultimately have it delisted from Steam. In short, Nintendo has the resources to bring upon a fight that the Dolphin folks can't afford--even if they'd ultimately win--and Valve probably doesn't really want to get into these specific cross hairs either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to do anything about emulation of systems and games that they have abandoned. If they aren't printing new physical copies, and/or selling these games on a digital store front, then tough poo poo; they should be free for people to download from anywhere else and do with as they please.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to do anything about emulation of systems and games that they have abandoned. If they aren't printing new physical copies, and/or selling these games on a digital store front, then tough poo poo; they should be free for people to download from anywhere else and do with as they please.

Since when are laws based on whether or not something is "right" or rational?

Orv
May 4, 2011
It just seems like such a needlessly risky idea to put an emulator that is basically only known for doing things that Nintendo would happily decapitate them for, on Steam. Nintendo of all people, especially.

I said come in! posted:

Pretty sure this has already been litigated as not the case multiple times. Not that I disagree but money.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

Since when are laws based on whether or not something is "right" or rational?

They aren't, they are made up and none of them matter. Do whatever you want.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Orv posted:

It just seems like such a needlessly risky idea to put an emulator that is basically only known for doing things that Nintendo would happily decapitate them for, on Steam. Nintendo of all people, especially.

Pretty sure this has already been litigated as not the case multiple times.
RetroArch is on Steam, too. Which has a bunch of emulator backends. So, it's not entirely without precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My F to those brave soon-to-be-murdered developers fighting the good fight against the evil $intendo.