Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, we're about two and a half years away from the tenth anniversary of the "answer the call" trailer.

Kinda funny that as time has passed the game gets further and further away from release. 2015? It'll be ready in six months! 2023? Maybe we will see a new announcement about it in 2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sandweed posted:

Remember when Ben got a Wing Commander tattoo and when Chris saw it he had no idea what it was and Ben had to explain it to him.

That was pretty funny.

loving hell I forgot that one. Lmao

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
What year was that wonderful Christmas stream were Croberts tried to play his jumbled mess of a game and clearly hated every second of it?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BigglesSWE posted:

What year was that wonderful Christmas stream were Croberts tried to play his jumbled mess of a game and clearly hated every second of it?

2016 and sadly the *best parody vid that came out of it is private/unavailable :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UpYsOwlGY

*aside from Chris Roberts Plays Star Citizen of course
https://youtu.be/ZWq8ynUq7wM

Bmac32
Nov 25, 2012

colonelwest posted:

Yes, especially romance, there will be a sex gun you can fire at your special space someone.

It’s just another way that the life simulator dream is slowly collapsing into just a video game. Citizens have imagined tense life or death scenarios in which they’re performing emergency surgery on a downed commando, while their medical ship shakes from enemy fire. The reality is that they’ll just run around with a medical gun, shooting at people to restore their stats. At best there will be some tedious flights back to a planet side hospital if someone is near death.

This is the thing that so many of them buy into and why its got such a hold. They see all those cool movie moments happening, cause its what Crobberts sells them. The droid and wookie playing chess moment. The tense stand off between captain and first officer as the bridge explodes around them. Stuff like that. But they completely ignore the boring time that it would take the characters to get to those moments that aren't in the movie cause they are fuckin boring. And they ignore the fact that a video game just isn't going to supply that stuff on demand.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lammasu posted:

What kind of music does SC have?

https://clips.twitch.tv/EmpathicDaintyEggPermaSmug-X9AAjQqxDCwYbcgE

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

colonelwest posted:

The big all-encompassing life simulator MMO dream never seems to die, it just comes back in new forms every few years. Usually though, it’s indie devs e-begging for a few million dollars and then falling flat on their faces after a few years at most. Star Citizen is a weird experiment testing what happens when people just keep pouring money into one of these failed projects forever.

Yahtzee just made a whole video about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJP82EMDBq0

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

it's really incredible how specific a lingo the citizenry have. Once you're familiar with it its just a warning sign. Someone talked about their 'org' and how it had '2500+' members - which rang alarm bells for me. Sure enough they soon started laying out a comprehensive defense of star citizen when some rando bashed it. They hit all the highlights - it's 'pay to skip', 'what you are paying is actually just money to support the development, 'did you read the terms and conditions?' 'its called kickstarter.'

I do like that every customer takes something different away from the bevy of false promises made by the Roberts crew. For instance, this citizen believed that you don't buy the big ships anyway because you need a big crew to manage them. Whereas of course the truly enlightened citizen knows that you'll be able to hire a full NPC crew to manage your space chariot.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
SC goes back so far that there was at least one "bronie"-themed org out there in the old days.

Hell, My Little Pony has even rebooted itself since the bronie days (not because of them as far as I know, though I'm sure it didn't hurt).

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

There’s a concept of “deep time” in cosmology to describe the timeline of the existence of The Universe which stretches far beyond human experience. We’re going to need something similar for Star Citizen.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

SC goes back so far that there was at least one "bronie"-themed org out there in the old days.

Hell, My Little Pony has even rebooted itself since the bronie days (not because of them as far as I know, though I'm sure it didn't hurt).

Yes. they reboot themselves every decade or so to sell new merch. The current generation (the 5th) is pretty much "what if mlp, but dreamworks face?" In other words, it sucks and even bronies realize that.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

trucutru posted:

Yes. they reboot themselves every decade or so to sell new merch. The current generation (the 5th) is pretty much "what if mlp, but dreamworks face?" In other words, it sucks and even bronies realize that.

Hmm, interesting. I mostly watched it with my kid, and she's moved onto other things (still cartoons, and I still watch with her, but it's mostly classic Simpsons and Futurama these days).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

trucutru posted:

I mean it is a stinging rebuke of Trumpian politics.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I am star citizen org member #249 and I operate the margaritaville drink machine on the Idris during times of peace.

e: during times of war the margaritaville drink machine is emptied, cleaned, and stowed to avoid damage

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lammasu posted:

I mean it is a stinging rebuke of Trumpian politics.

Isn't any show about being nice and getting along a stinging rebuke of Trumpian politics? The care bears have that covered too!

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Back in the peak Trump years, any show that was left of Hitler was hailed as some sort of heroic resistance.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

trucutru posted:

Oh man, you weren't kidding. That is 100% dreamworks face.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Fidelitious posted:

Oh man, you weren't kidding. That is 100% dreamworks face.

I have checked the source material, and I can say with certainty that those ponies look nothing like Moses.

I assume Dreamworks hasn't had any animated film releases since 1998. Like most Citizens I haven't checked up on media of any form since around that time.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fidelitious posted:

There's progress on one of those though! Sandi tweeted about the hard decision making they were doing on the design of the collectors edition cover art.

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/864609751031660545

You might say that was 6 years ago and is now an irrelevant waste of $50,000 that everyone has memory-holed, well I say gently caress you FUDster, it was actually 8 years ago! Designing these things takes time you locusts!

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/645268612421320705

Back when they’d still pretend to be making something that would have to ship someday.

Although, it would be funny if they huffed their own farts enough and had ordered thousands of boxes that were just sitting in a warehouse somewhere costing money for storage for the last 8 years.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
the connie is remarkable for me for a couple of reasons

first:

it really looks like a visual representation of a ship built under roberts' crushing micromanagement. every greeble and line feels like the fully exhausted endpoint between a designer's stamina and robert's vision at the end of a hundred hours of "hey it's great but i think if we did it like this instead"

second:

it always looks crooked to me in its promotional materials. the cockpit never seems to be perfectly aligned with the engines, like it's got a bend in it somewhere

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022
Observed 2 SC conversations today.

1. Discord, LTI will only cover the basic ship hull. Nothing else, no guns, engines, components etc etc.
Not like currently, you claim a ship and get it complete, ready to fly including anythings you may have upgraded.

2. Ingame Global Chat, "Need a crew for me Reclaimer, about 4 or 5 ppl"
"How much you paying ?"
"70% me 30% crew"
"wtf, bs, fook off, even split"
"Nah, I Own the Ship, its BIG, im the Captain, i do 50/50 if org members, cargo stackers are just bone heads"
"Well get them org numpties, dont ask us"

Then we copped a 30k, loved to have seen how that convo would have turned out.

Lol, the Reclaimer multi deck elevator is buggy as hell, been buggy for a long time, way before 3.18, so you really need cargo stacker/s or you are going nowhere.

And there is gonna be a heap of these, "My Ship, Big Ship, Me Captain"

Gonna be a heap of, "My Retaliator/Eclipse, Ah Big Target, No Crew, ROFLMAO"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bushboy2000 posted:

2. Ingame Global Chat, "Need a crew for me Reclaimer, about 4 or 5 ppl"
"How much you paying ?"
"70% me 30% crew"
"wtf, bs, fook off, even split"
"Nah, I Own the Ship, its BIG, im the Captain, i do 50/50 if org members, cargo stackers are just bone heads"
"Well get them org numpties, dont ask us"

Can the crew not just take the job, Kill the captain, steal the ship, take 0/100 cut? Seems the only logical thing to do.

Bushboy2000
Jul 19, 2022

dr_rat posted:

Can the crew not just take the job, Kill the captain, steal the ship, take 0/100 cut? Seems the only logical thing to do.

Yeah, and if in space with no sat comm coverage, no crime stat.

Follow up with own salvage ship/s.

Is this how great feuds may start between Orgs ?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Bushboy2000 posted:

Is this how great feuds may start between Orgs ?

It's how a good workers union starts.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't that also how a lot of real-world pirate crews started back in the day?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Randalor posted:

Isn't that also how a lot of real-world pirate crews started back in the day?

Yeah, basically. Quite a few were originally in the navy and mutinied and took the ship. Think sometimes commercial shipping as well. But yeah, mutinies usually happened when the captain was treating crew particularly poo poo, and after mutinies turning pirate if suddenly you're in charge a ship with a bunch of cannons and a crew that knew how to use them, makes a lot of sense. Not many other choices at that point really.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

dr_rat posted:

IIRC if the owner logs out the ship disappears.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sandweed posted:

lol

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

dr_rat posted:

No because the entire ship will jitter and explode way before that point

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sandweed posted:

Wait, what happens to the other people on the ship when the owner logs out then?

Also:
"Ships should not despawn when their owners log out. The ship captains should take the time to make sure they dock in a secure location, otherwise it breaks the immersion. And furthermore, we should be allowed to plunder ships left unattended by their captains.

What the gently caress, my ship was raided by pirates and they refused to leave after I repeatedly demanded they leave. Lord Roberts, I demand you ban these trolls!"
:goonsay:

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Crew is trolling themselves by taking up that job

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
No you see, “Chris Roberts” isn’t a specific person, it’s a title that a Star Citizen lead designer bestows upon his successor. Maybe once there was an actual Chris Roberts long ago when Star Citizen’s development first began, but now it’s a symbolic title that is respected and feared across the ‘verse.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

JugbandDude posted:

Crew is trolling themselves by taking up that job

I used to think that being crew on a ship (doing something to help your org) would actually be pretty neat. Being the guy solving puzzles or whatever to give the capital ship you're in more engine power or boost guns in the middle of a fight was actually right up my alley. There were 2 games I played back in the day where you simulated a spaceship and sub with different stations that needed to be managed by other people, and I loved them.

Then I played archeage and did enough pack runs to realize 90% of the captains running the big ships are going to be annoying loving tyrants that don't respect your time and will gently caress you over by giving the crew the bare minimum. And if crew becomes so mandatory that they can't get away with it, botting will just become endemic

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

colonelwest posted:

There’s a concept of “deep time” in cosmology to describe the timeline of the existence of The Universe which stretches far beyond human experience. We’re going to need something similar for Star Citizen.

Jpeg time.

Core unit being the time it takes from the purchase of a Jpeg to actually flying the thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
With Dan Olson's recent video on the laughable metaverse stuff, thinking on it, SC is a project that started as mainly a singleplayer game but morphed into a hopeless metaverse disaster.

So I guess SC really was ahead of its time, just not in a good way. :v:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Deki posted:

I used to think that being crew on a ship (doing something to help your org) would actually be pretty neat. Being the guy solving puzzles or whatever to give the capital ship you're in more engine power or boost guns in the middle of a fight was actually right up my alley. There were 2 games I played back in the day where you simulated a spaceship and sub with different stations that needed to be managed by other people, and I loved them.

Then I played archeage and did enough pack runs to realize 90% of the captains running the big ships are going to be annoying loving tyrants that don't respect your time and will gently caress you over by giving the crew the bare minimum. And if crew becomes so mandatory that they can't get away with it, botting will just become endemic

Star Trek Bridge Crew is an interesting attempt at station management. I'd stop short of calling it a "good game" but if you have a VR kit it's worth a look, if you can find three other people. The stringent mission layouts prevent the really cool poo poo from happening, since it's pretty clear early on that the devs had an idea of the "correct" way to play through the mission. I enjoyed the engineering station the most, which is a cool feast/famine gameplay style where there's either nothing loving happening at all, or everything's on fire and it's your fault if you can't get poo poo under control.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Trek Bridge Crew is an interesting attempt at station management. I'd stop short of calling it a "good game" but if you have a VR kit it's worth a look, if you can find three other people. The stringent mission layouts prevent the really cool poo poo from happening, since it's pretty clear early on that the devs had an idea of the "correct" way to play through the mission. I enjoyed the engineering station the most, which is a cool feast/famine gameplay style where there's either nothing loving happening at all, or everything's on fire and it's your fault if you can't get poo poo under control.

Oddly that reminds me of Smuggler's Run at Disneyland, the ride where you crew the Millennium Falcon. If you're a childless couple like us, you're almost 100% guaranteed to get stuck on the worst seats, the engineers who press buttons to repair the ship instead of doing something cool, while some little kid who has no idea what he's doing gets to pilot and inevitably does terribly. If you actually try and pay attention and do your job you get to stare at a bunch of flashing buttons on the wall instead of the fun videogame on the screen. (Although honestly the gunners aren't much better, they have to just press buttons too).

Anyway my point was... What was my point? Well, I guess it was, why would you be ever choose to be crew when only the pilot/captain gets to have fun?

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Just play Puzzle Pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Maslovo posted:

Just play Puzzle Pirates.

Yeah this. I love carpentry and sailing, and even being stuck in the bilge is kinda fun if you want to chill and play Bejeweled.

Is anyone making a modern spiritual sequel of any kind to Puzzle Pirates? That's the one MMO I would play.