Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Dumb question time.

Some of you have noticed me annoying the thread a bunch of times in the last few months. I want to get a tool kit together to make minor repairs on my boat, motor and trailer to keep with it.

All the poo poo is brand new, hopefully I won't need to make any repairs for a while but I want to be prepared.

The boat is made by Lund, Mercury engine and Shorelander trailer.

Anyone have any idea if they use standard, metric or both types of fasteners? They're all made in USA so I figure its *probably* all standard, but who the gently caress knows. I've worked on enough poo poo over the years to have seen a lot of stuff that uses both.

I just don't want to pick up and carry around any extra stuff if I don't need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
My 90s mercruiser outdrive I think uses all SAE fasteners, which is kind of weird since American cars from that era were already switching to metric.

One thing you'll definitely* need is a set of muffs to connect your garden hose to the raw water intake. You'd think you could run the engine for a minute without it overheating, but the impeller that pumps cooling water into the motor needs water for lubrication and I've heard they will wear out within seconds of you start the motor dry. They're designed to be replaced every year or two, but no sense having to do one ahead of time.

You don't need to keep that with you, but I don't expect the manual to properly communicate the importance of not starting the engine dry and I'd already decided I should make a post for you and the other noobs (jet boat guy: you're probably fine).

*Unless mercury started building outboards differently.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 25, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thats on my list of things to pick up already, but for this fall anyway, I *might* take the boat somewhere to get winterized and thus won't have any (hopefully) need to run the engine while out of the water.

Are they really designed to need replacing every few years? Why? Is it because the water they take in can be of lovely quality? Like silt, and sand and whatnot?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

Thats on my list of things to pick up already, but for this fall anyway, I *might* take the boat somewhere to get winterized and thus won't have any (hopefully) need to run the engine while out of the water.

Are they really designed to need replacing every few years? Why? Is it because the water they take in can be of lovely quality? Like silt, and sand and whatnot?

Mostly it's just that they're rubber that flexes during normal use. They'll probably last a good while under normal conditions, but if it fails you're going to overheat on the water and possibly have little chunks of impeller clogging your cooling lines. I think most people recommend somewhere between yearly or every 5 years depending on handiness and risk aversion. They're not expensive or difficult to change. It probably took me an hour the first time I did it... I think I can already hear some inboard guy chuckling as he types in how his takes them five minutes.

It's always nice to be able to start up your boat in the driveway. Sometimes it's been a while or you just changed something and want to check if everything works before you load up to drive to the boat launch and hope you're not fighting to get your boat to start on the ramp while a line forms behind you.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Dumb question time.

Some of you have noticed me annoying the thread a bunch of times in the last few months. I want to get a tool kit together to make minor repairs on my boat, motor and trailer to keep with it.

All the poo poo is brand new, hopefully I won't need to make any repairs for a while but I want to be prepared.

The boat is made by Lund, Mercury engine and Shorelander trailer.

Anyone have any idea if they use standard, metric or both types of fasteners? They're all made in USA so I figure its *probably* all standard, but who the gently caress knows. I've worked on enough poo poo over the years to have seen a lot of stuff that uses both.

I just don't want to pick up and carry around any extra stuff if I don't need to.

Lol, the answer is "Yes". The boat and trailer will have tons of SAE, the engine will have a bunch of metic and some SAE.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress it, double postin!

So mercury maintenance schedules dictate inspection of the impeller at 100 and 200 hours of run time with replacement as needed. At 300 hours it should be replaced if not replaced already. In reality our service department at the dealership I work for recommends replacing the water pump every 100 hours anyways. It's just a rubber impeller with a stainless cup and there is so much grit and silt around here that the inside of the cup gets gouged and flows for poo poo anyhow.

Even if you are under that 100 hours of run time but it has been a couple years, I'd consider doing the water pump since the rubber will harden. At least here in florida that is the case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Just do the WP every 100. Inspection doesn't make sense, because the parts are so cheap. We do ours every year, it's just part of spring commissioning.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
This sweet drone footage popped up in my youtube recommends and I thought it was pretty amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrBgGBHv1rk

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Got ya. 100, 200 hours just *seems* like not that long but thinking about it, at work we have equipment with oil change intervals of 200-250 hours. Which usuallyy works out to 3-4 months. But that's 3-4 months of running (mostly) 5 days a week 6-8 hours per day..

I'll probably be in the boat 1-3 days per week and maybe it'll actually be running for a few hours per day. So it will probably work out to once per season.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

sharkytm posted:

Just do the WP every 100. Inspection doesn't make sense, because the parts are so cheap. We do ours every year, it's just part of spring commissioning.

I mean, and the fact that to inspect the fuckin impeller you have to drop the lower and remove the housing so you're doing 70% of the work anyways.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We averaged about 100 hours a year on our diesel

My impeller exploded at about the 380 hour mark. Now I have to pull everything apart

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Manual for my Yanmar diesel has longer replacement intervals for things like the impeller and filters than I pay attention to--I replace them all every 100 hours.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
time to replace the AC

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I love your adorable little hoist rig.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I love your adorable little hoist rig.

the AC wasn't the heaviest thing ever but having something to hold it up while you jiggle wiggle is value.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not blowing your back out is worth whatever hassle it takes to yank that thing out safely

Using a boat anchor as an AC compressor is a novel concept

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

This sweet drone footage popped up in my youtube recommends and I thought it was pretty amazing.

:stare: that fancy flying boat is doing its best to become a submarine :stare:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Invalido posted:

Holy poo poo. That prompted me to look for a bit more, and this is just nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1OL6VUEoIY

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

TrueChaos posted:

Holy poo poo. That prompted me to look for a bit more, and this is just nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1OL6VUEoIY

Insanity... just amazing what these modern boats are doing in conditions like that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I love the handle on the bottom of the drone for easy recovery, that's clever

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
The most insane ocean sail race IMO is the Jules Verne trophy. The rules are to start in the English Channel, sail to the tip of Africa and turn left, round Antarctica and return to the Channel again as fast as possible.

This is the current record holding boat at just under 41 days in 2016. It's not a foiler, "just" a huge wave piercing trimaran. The last three attempts have all ended with rudder failures. It will be interesting to see what foiling boats can do about that record in the future though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hoisted the main sail for the first time in probably a year

Main halyard desperately needs a wash + lube all the blocks

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

strange dog breed

mega fuses fit, but CNN fuses are too big

apply 4/0 cable directly to the terminal

Thats right, it fits in the square hole

square hole

3000w invertor/charger/mppt/wifi dongle

square hole

9 amps

gently caress the sun, unlimited dock side power for 30 bucks a month

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wargames posted:

Thats right, it fits in the square hole

How dare you.

For those who don't get the reference: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3CseKb/

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 15, 2023

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

n0tqu1tesane posted:

How dare you.

For those who don't get the reference: https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTR3CseKb/

The AC does now work on the boat, the master cabin, kitchen, lounge area, and v berth all AC'd

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

More dumb question:

Is there anything that would dictate how heavy an anchor I should have for the size and/or weight of my boat? Like say for example a 1500 pound boat/motor should have an anchor weighing X?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

wesleywillis posted:

More dumb question:

Is there anything that would dictate how heavy an anchor I should have for the size and/or weight of my boat? Like say for example a 1500 pound boat/motor should have an anchor weighing X?

It depends on what type of anchor you have, and the type of bottom you'll likely be anchoring in determines the type of anchor you have. Sandy vs muddy vs rocky, etc.

Danforth offers a boat length chart on their website for their anchors. https://danforthanchors.com/thestandard/

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

More dumb question:

Various anchor manufacturers will have size charts on their websites.

If you have a boat that has any real mass (above a few tons) you should be using a Rocna or Mantus anchor, and size it up as big as you can get if you ever intend to use the boat at anchor in anything but ideal weather.

My boat weighs 22,000 dry so I'm using a 25kg/55lb Rocna, which is rated for holding me in up to around 50kn winds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

wesleywillis posted:

More dumb question:

You have what, a 17' powerboat?

What do you want to do with it? Sleeping in a partly protected bay in the ocean drunk at an event where a similar boat got dragged 500 feet in 50mph winds and washed up on shore requiring the coast guard to unfuck them, or, eating a ham sandwhich while fishing on a nice sunny day. These are two very different situations

For the former, you want something like a danforth, or in my hyper-specific case, a fortress FX-11

For the later you want half a cinder block and whatever rope you find between the kitchen and the car walking through the garage. A full size cinderblock is also acceptable, as is the cute-as-a-button 1kg stainless steel Lewmar danforth style anchor (which I own one): https://www.velasailingsupply.com/lewmar-claw-anchor-ss-2-2-lb-1-kg/ It's like, the size of a wine bottle maybe a hair larger

I've actually used this (above) as a lunch hook for my 34' sailboat, it is absolutely fine holding the boat in a 3-4 knot current, but I wouldn't sleep overnight tied to it. You probably want at least a 3' section of chain, I have two x 6' sections

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 16, 2023

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bottom and anchor style matching it matters massively. My 17' flats boat can reliably drag a 20lb+ danforth in soft sand if there is a 2-3ft chop while bottom fishing.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Vast majority of use will be in lake Ontario, so probably sand and silt bottom. Though stone hooking was common in ye olden tymes locally, so there very well could be some rocky parts.

Doubt I'll be sleeping in it drunk or otherwise, in calm conditions or heavy winds. If a storm blows up I'm most likely going to make a beeline for whatever port might be closest.

Already working on rope and a 10-15ft length of chain.

Someone mentioned don't get stainless chain, so looking at galvanized.

I'd mainly been looking at 10-15 pound navy anchors but hosed if I know if that's good or not.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Stainless vs galvanized matters a whole lot more if your boat lives in the water but galvanized has the advantage of being less than half the cost of stainless, and there's no mystery as to when it will fall

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

Bottom and anchor style matching it matters massively. My 17' flats boat can reliably drag a 20lb+ danforth in soft sand if there is a 2-3ft chop while bottom fishing.

Scope matters too. With 7:1 scope (recommended) 3' chop shouldn't have any impact in 10' of water (70' of scope), but I'm curious to hear your experience

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks again for answering all my dumb questions.

Who knows, maybe I'll only anchor this thing once a year and it'll be in like 30 ft of water or something.

Boat will be living in (fresh) water from may till end of October or so.

I always liked rope and tying knots and poo poo so I wouldn't be bothered if I had like hundreds of feet on board, aside from it's just more poo poo that needs to be stored somewhere

I've got a fish finder that'll show me depths so I can at least plan on attaching two lines together or something if I had to. Before tossing it over board.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Various anchor manufacturers will have size charts on their websites.

If you have a boat that has any real mass (above a few tons) you should be using a Rocna or Mantus anchor, and size it up as big as you can get if you ever intend to use the boat at anchor in anything but ideal weather.

My boat weighs 22,000 dry so I'm using a 25kg/55lb Rocna, which is rated for holding me in up to around 50kn winds.

:yeah:

I have an 85lb/38.5kg Mantus and 200' of 3/8 chain. Absolutely love these anchors.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just picked up a new old stock 2019 Suzuki 9.9 for $2k, never been started, never had oil put in it. Got it from a local yacht management company that's also a Suzuki dealer so I was able to get it registered through them and get the five year warranty on it.

Some people seem to think I should be worried about a new motor sitting so long (gaskets drying out yadda yadda), and others are saying Suzuki prepped it just fine for poo poo like that and it will be fine.

Can't wait to start it up and see what happens! :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Enh, bigger issue is what did they rob off of it to turn and burn another boat. Rubber should be fine on a '19, just keep an eye on it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

They said one of their customers ordered it for a sailboat, then decided at the last minute they didn't want it. I checked it out pretty good, it's all there from what I can see. It just sat awhile before they decided to put it up for sale, seemed like a pretty busy place so they weren't really too concerned about it I guess, just good timing for me.

The main reason I got it was for the power start, tilt, and EFI because manual start and tilt sucks, so do carbs.

BUT the huge bonus that I didn't realize until right before I got it is that it's essentially a 20hp motor restricted to 9.9, so all i have to do is take the restrictor plate out of the intake and change the prop to make it a 20hp motor. Jury is out if I have to change out the ECU (some say yes others are saying no) but even then it's only 400 bucks and totally worth it.

Also a local guy near me from one of the skiff message boards is giving me a NEW Bob's jack plate, still in the box for a case of beer, and that should offset the the extra five inches of the long shaft. This will actually be great because the transom sits lower than the deck and my Yamaha 9.9 short shaft's tiller was maybe an inch off the deck so it will be nice to have the tiller up higher especially when i'm standing.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 24, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Almost certainly a bad idea, but if you're single and unemployed right now, might be a fun way to get a free trip on the container ship that fishes you out of the ocean in a couple of weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
It's official, I have my little boat in the water! It's only a 3.7m (12ft) RIB with 20hp 4 stroke but boy am I having a lot of fun.
I've been zooming up and down the estuary the past few days. Today I ran into some difficulty because high tide was 1 meter lower than tuesdays high so on the way back I wasn't able to get to my spot due to mud. Thankfully all the local old salty fishermen were eager to help me maneuver to a safer spot while cracking jokes. :)

This river is tough, it has a 4kt current and cargo ships so I am kinda nervous at times. I really suck at mooring and using ropes :shrug:

Here's a pic I took at low tide (before I had a stern rope).

video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz0NPMPGS2M