Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I had a spider casually stroll down the inside of my visor while on the highway.

That was the calmest white knuckle pullover to the side of the highway I have ever done.

I now always bug check my helmets before going on a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Richard Bong posted:

I had a spider casually stroll down the inside of my visor while on the highway.

That was the calmest white knuckle pullover to the side of the highway I have ever done.

I now always bug check my helmets before going on a ride.

Typically you'd bug check your helmet after going on a ride, no? :classiclol:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

Same for me with the wasp up the sleeve. On the interstate in traffic, stung me probably ten times before I was able to pull over and pinch it to death inside the sleeve. I remember telling myself "don't freak out, stay calm" :v:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

AirRaid posted:

I actually have nothing against the car itself. It looks decent enough as far as those crossover type things go, but I am astounded that they called it a Mustang. Call it literally anything else (except a GT maybe) and it would probably be fine but calling it the name of the thing which has been their quintessential sports car for decades? Real dumb.

That's literally my only problem with it.
Call it just a "Mach-E", and everything would have been fine.
Now you've got GM announcing that "Corvette" will be a brand, and there will be SUVs and sedans! Just... why?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They should have stuck with tradition and called it the Probe

Heh, that would have been meta as gently caress.

Humphreys posted:

Just like Mitsubishi bringing out a new Eclipse...I got a bit excited in my 'Fast and Furious proto-brain' until I saw it.

OMG, please, I'm trying to forget that ridiculous thing. So much worse that the Mach-E.

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Eclipse was basically dead in 2000

Now it's a zombie. Came back as a CUV.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I know its not funny but that last "Well gently caress YOU" hit by the wheel is amazing

First time I saw it, I though the same.

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah I got stung by a wasp on my neck, the only exposed skin on my body, while leaned over in a turn hauling on the throttle. I kept the bike in line but anyone standing nearby would have heard a screamed doppler-shifted FAAAAAACCCCCCKKKKK

I laughed visualizing that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Same for me with the wasp up the sleeve. On the interstate in traffic, stung me probably ten times before I was able to pull over and pinch it to death inside the sleeve. I remember telling myself "don't freak out, stay calm" :v:

I saw a dude with Massachusetts plates on a motorcycle at a gas station off I-275, angrily scrubbing his helmet visor at the pump, with a perfect outline of dead love-bugs around his eyes.

*insert "First time?" meme here*

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Darchangel posted:

Now you've got GM announcing that "Corvette" will be a brand, and there will be SUVs and sedans! Just... why?

Okay so I'll always object to any Corvette SUV as the piece of poo poo it will always be but the reality is that a Corvette sedan in all but name existed and it was amazing

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Typically you'd bug check your helmet after going on a ride, no? :classiclol:

Yeah not for live ones though. :v:

I’m impressed you were able to not twitch while being stung. That sounds miserable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Richard Bong posted:

I’m impressed you were able to not twitch while being stung. That sounds miserable.

Oh I twitched, just not enough to kill myself :v:

Bee stings are way worse but they can only sting you once at least.

Reminds me of the time I drove through a giant swarm of bees once....In car thank god

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

:golfclap:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Reminds me of the time I drove through a giant swarm of bees once....In car thank god

I rode through a locust plague on the bicycle, that was bad enough.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

KillHour posted:

Go to the imgur page and the twitter link is below the video.

You'll never guess what happened. The video was filmed by a Tesla, so all the comments are a Tesla circlejerk

They always have that weird sepia tone.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I rode through an aerosol mist of black spray paint once, didn't realize what it was until I went to brush what I thought were gnats off my visor, and it smeared the bitty black dots into a huge smudge. Then, it made sense what the faintly familiar chemical scent in the air was, and what that big, damaged cardboard box was full of, the one that the car 200' ahead of me had swerved to avoid.

Luckily, the nearest gas station I pulled into had goo-gone on the shelf, and cleaned my visor and headlight off. My helmet, gas tank, fenders, and front end chrome were over the next month or so, bit by bit. Didn't help any that my bike was white, and so was the helmet... and my riding jacket is still speckled.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
It's similar to the "you should wear a full face helmet" thing, but my least favorite thing about riding a motorcycle when I was young and dumb was following a hay truck while wearing a short sleeved shirt and brain catcher + sunglasses. hay flying off the back of a truck at 70mph feels like getting stung by a bee every few seconds.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The fun part about riding motorcyles with no safety gear is they can easily go a loooooot faster than 70mph and pass almost anything, in like a heartbeat. Live it up!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ bikes are so much better than cars for just outright exhilaration. Death a mere heartbeat away certainly makes you feel alive. As I get older my cars get smaller and more fun and then I come to the realisation that bikes were what I was looking for after all. Wish I'd gotten into them decades ago tbh.

Anyway, terrible car stuff. Driving for 30 minutes to confirm you have no oil is...... an interesting solution.

https://twitter.com/Dexcoon/status/1640387956769804288?t=DHXaNKdD3MpzNl8y9JiyCQ&s=19

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WTF?!

I don't have a transmission dipstick, and have to let the car to.. I think 108F (coolant temp), then pop the fill plug and see if it dribbles. If it does, it's full. If it doesn't, it's low and you have to add fluid RIGHT THEN until it barely starts to dribble. To change it, you have to drain it, measure how much comes out, and add pretty much the exact amount back in, run it back up to temp, and see if it starts dribbling again. Except you're supposed to let the engine cool off first. :sigh: I MIGHT actually pay the dealer to do a fluid exchange on it, since apparently you only get up to 2 quarts out at a time. 6 speed auto, it holds a lot more than that. It's almost like a manual transmission, except you don't fill it till it overflows and you have to repeat this process something like 8 times to really change it.

I do have an oil level sensor, but it's only there to tell me it's low (it supposedly pops OIL LEVEL LOW on the DIC?). And there's an actual dipstick for the oil, though it's hidden reasonably well with all the engine bay plastics. Removed all that poo poo, I like being able to just glance to see if the fluids are full instead of removing covers.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 28, 2023

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ITS SO MUCH MORE HIGH TECH!! I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO OPEN THE HOOD!!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Anyway, terrible car stuff. Driving for 30 minutes to confirm you have no oil is...... an interesting solution.

https://twitter.com/Dexcoon/status/1640387956769804288?t=DHXaNKdD3MpzNl8y9JiyCQ&s=19

That's even worse than my car!

No oil stick, gotta "warm it up" for the computer to measure, took about ten minutes last month because it was in the 40's, usually takes 5 minutes. I'm super worried the entire time.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My 2001 Opel had an oil level warning / gauge as well as a regular dipstick. Best of both worlds IMO, it'll remind you if it notices the level is too low (none of this "drive for 30 minutes" nonsense, either) but you can also check it easily at any time. I'm surprised this technology has been lost.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My Peugeot did the same thing. Oil level shown for a bit when you start the car, plus a normal dipstick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I keep a pretty big piece of cardboard taped down with painters tape in the garage.

Started it when i was trying to diagnose a leak issue with an old jeep and just kinda left it there since it: A - keeps the concrete from getting stained up. B - immediately shows me if a new leak developed and C- is more pleasant to lay on when i do an oil change or some other maintenance under the car there.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I'm so glad my new car has "cross traffic monitoring" when reversing. I can not see anything when backing out of a parking spot because every single car is a comically oversized TRUCK or suv blocking vision.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ bikes are so much better than cars for just outright exhilaration. Death a mere heartbeat away certainly makes you feel alive. As I get older my cars get smaller and more fun and then I come to the realisation that bikes were what I was looking for after all. Wish I'd gotten into them decades ago tbh.

My Giulia has this and it may be the only thing about it that I hate. The directions are essentially the same, but they're also essentially bullshit. If you go online to see if there's a way to get a more accurate reading you'll find the solutions to be a step away from voodoo magic, best get your chicken guts out.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

:vince:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It charges you $5 per month for the "maintenance" subscription option, otherwise you need to go to the dealer to check the fluid levels

to be clear I'm making that up

mobby_6kl posted:

My 2001 Opel had an oil level warning / gauge as well as a regular dipstick. Best of both worlds IMO, it'll remind you if it notices the level is too low (none of this "drive for 30 minutes" nonsense, either) but you can also check it easily at any time. I'm surprised this technology has been lost.
Late 90s 996 is similar.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

slidebite posted:

It charges you $5 per month for the "maintenance" subscription option, otherwise you need to go to the dealer to check the fluid levels

Late 90s 996 is similar.

Yes. This is an entirely solved issue. 996es, boxsters, cayennes of the time that I've been around and owned would give you an oil level alert when they were bang on the low level mark on the stick. You definitely did not have to drive for 30 minutes to get this to happen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Lexus has this figured out too, and Toyota tends to be as conservative as it gets with technology. I mean, my car won't tell me WHICH tire is low (or high), it'll just throw a TPMS light. Other models could tell you which one. But at least it keeps an eye on the spare tire as well as the regular ones! Aside from adding TPMS and a fancier looking cluster, it's basically identical to my mom's 03 Avalon on the inside. Right down to the controls and where they're located, even the stereo is almost identical (aside from adding an aux input).

Irony is they mostly use engines from a ton of other Toyotas, but only the Lexus version gets the level sensor. 2GR-FE is used in drat near every mid-00s-early 10s FWD V6 Toyota (they switched to a DI version of the same engine at some point), but only the Lexus versions get the sensor... and hole for it in the block (despite what every drat interchange book says, you CANNOT swap thee block between a Camry and ES/RX unless you want it to always yell at you about low oil).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 28, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

STR posted:

But at least it keeps an eye on the spare tire as well as the regular ones!

a spare tire, what a concept.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

a spare tire, what a concept.

The OTHER thing I hate about my BMW!

STR posted:

Lexus has this figured out too, and Toyota tends to be as conservative as it gets with technology. I mean, my car won't tell me WHICH tire is low (or high), it'll just throw a TPMS light.

The one thing that throws me about my Mom's Honda is that it freaks out when I rotate her tires and don't reset the system. Of course, the freak out happens after driving a bit, so I forget about it and get a call a day or two later when I'm 1.5 hours away and she needs someone to come over and figure out the computer to reset it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

This is what happens when car companies don't hire anybody who knows anything about human factors.

Someone with experience studying ergonomics and use patterns would step through it something like this:

1. What are the main reasons that people would want to manually check their car's oil level?

2. Either just to see where it's at for regular maintenance, or because they are concerned that it's running out and might cause engine damage.

3. In the latter case, they definitely shouldn't be running the engine until they know whether there's enough oil inside.

4. So a system that requires them to start the engine and run it for half an hour to check the oil is incompatible with one of the main reasons that people would be checking the oil in the first place. We can't do that.

Instead, they just let a bunch of engineers and marketing VPS decide how it works, and their train of thought went like this:

1. SENSORS :pseudo:

2. TOUCHSCREENS :dumbbravo:

The end

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Instead, they just let a bunch of engineers and marketing VPS decide how it works, and their train of thought went like this:

The end

3. PAY THE SERVICE CENTER TO DO BASIC MAINTENANCE :homebrew:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What are the chances it falls under warranty? if low then ship.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

This is what happens when car companies don't hire anybody who knows anything about human factors.

Someone with experience studying ergonomics and use patterns would step through it something like this:

1. What are the main reasons that people would want to manually check their car's oil level?

2. Either just to see where it's at for regular maintenance, or because they are concerned that it's running out and might cause engine damage.

3. In the latter case, they definitely shouldn't be running the engine until they know whether there's enough oil inside.

4. So a system that requires them to start the engine and run it for half an hour to check the oil is incompatible with one of the main reasons that people would be checking the oil in the first place. We can't do that.

The end

lol, I got my oil changed and like 2 weeks later I was parked on steep hill and when I started the car the warning came on that the oil level was too high. Now I figure it was just because of it being parked on that steep angle, and normally a quick look at the dipstick on a level surface would confirm or deny that, but lol good luck. Ended up just having the shop drain 1/2qt and it's been fine since, though they had a bitch of a time getting the reading as well lol.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

slidebite posted:

Making it up. And giving an auto executive an idea.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
Goddamn Lathe of Heaven!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twitter posted:

What's wrong with a dipstick?

Also why are modern dipsticks so lovely and difficult to read? Older cars had clear markings and a nice cross-hatched area to grab the oil, whereas my newer Hyundai has slick surface with two tiny dots - when the oil is somewhat fresh it's very difficult to judge the level.

KozmoNaut posted:

My Peugeot did the same thing. Oil level shown for a bit when you start the car, plus a normal dipstick.

One of my school friends had an 80s (or possibly 1990) Renault 21 and it had the oil level display. Of course it never worked properly so would throw a warning every time the car was started regardless of oil level.

Powershift posted:

What are the chances it falls under warranty? if low then ship.

How did that go for Hyundai?

e. stupid phone keyboard

dissss fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 28, 2023

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

dissss posted:

Also why are modern districts so lovely and difficult to read? Older cars had clear markings and a nice cross-hatched area to grab the oil, whereas my newer Hyundai has slick surface with two tiny dots - when the oil is somewhat fresh it's very difficult to judge the level.

lol, I swear, the distance between the min and max lines on one of my coolant reservoirs is like a centimeter apart, with markings barely distinguishable from the tank material.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

BMW dropping the dipsitck was a cheap way to save a buck, but the e-sensor isn't quite that limited. It has a fast-read mode (i.e. is the sensor immersed in oil?) that you can access without starting the engine. This will tell you if there at least some oil in the sump. (It has a traditional oil pressure sensor, too, but I don't recommend relying on that)

The time-consuming procedure is to verify the oil is filled to proper germanic precision - the specified volume @ operating temp +/- 200ml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dipsticks are so cheap that I have a huge doubt that the time it took to engineer a sensor with the software and interface programming, as well as the hardware like said sensor and wring is in any real way saving even a cent. It's a dumbass attempt to force owners to use dealerships for maintenance work.

And probably is a set up for someone just sending it with no oil after said maintenance.