Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I watched the Swarm and enjoyed it. Great acting, weird story. Not sure what to believe here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

They had to make a lot of the sex scenes in Hannibal super weird snd artsy to get away with them too like the kaleidoscopic lesbian sex scene and the five way with the human-shaped raven stag whose name i suddenly can’t remember

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

HOLY gently caress posted:

They had to make a lot of the sex scenes in Hannibal super weird snd artsy to get away with them too like the kaleidoscopic lesbian sex scene and the five way with the human-shaped raven stag whose name i suddenly can’t remember

If anything that girl on girl sequence is hornier because it's so funky. Pretty sure they use the reflection effect to visually depict fingering, but it's rendered abstract so they get away with it.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Hizawk posted:

Banshee and Warrior are basically the safest shows you can recommend to anyone that likes excitement.

In the same vein I'd say Into the Badlands, post apocalyptic Kung Fu / Game of Thrones style epic.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Consultant is a hell of a slow burn but interesting enough to keep watching to see what other lunacy unfolds.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Octy posted:

The Consultant is a hell of a slow burn but interesting enough to keep watching to see what other lunacy unfolds.

Oh just you wait. I'm not sure what episode you are on, but it gets bonkers.

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Also just started it and it feels like big severance vibes but isn’t quite hitting the mark yet. Gonna finish it for sure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
A few shows I've been watching -- I don't really binge, I just sort of like jumping between a lot of different shows.

Awkwafina Is Nora From Queens (Season Two)
Not quite as funny as the first season, and I'm pretty sure Jennifer Espisito got a personality transplant between seasons, but still pretty good. Finale was surprisingly moving too, for a show that's often giving a very typical Comedy Central vibe. Best episode was the time travel ep with Chloe Fineman, holy poo poo is that lady funny.

Better Things (Season One)
Show owns, and is IMO criminally under discussed. Sam is a living saint, except she's also rude and aggressive and aggressively casual, all of which just makes her cooler tbh. Her children are actual demons sent from hell, including her biggest child: her batshit but still aggressively independent mother. Celia Imrie steals the show, obviously, but everyone is really good in this. Excellent casting from the kids; love that Mikey Madison, at least, is enjoying something of a film career.

Black Bird
Really great when it's doing the quasi-Mindhunter stuff in the prison. I've never liked Taron Edgerton more, and Paul Walter Hauser is doing some insane poo poo with his performance, particularly his voice. Their scenes together are electrifying, a push pull between two people who aren't particularly smart and have no poker face, who are relying on the other guy being dumber than they are. That stuff's actually excellent, genuinely unnerving and moving. And then there's all the stuff outside the prison, whose purpose and usefulness vacillates wildly from scene to scene. The back half of the season is much stronger than the first half, though, and it ends strong.

The Serpent Queen (Season One)
A total loving rip-off of Russell T Davies' Casanova, but an enjoyable one with great casting -- Charles Dance, Rupert Everett, Samantha Morton and Ludivine Sagnier are all big names that are fun to see, plus classic character actors like Beth Goddard, David Neghaban, Colm Meaney, Lee Ingelby... the cast is stacked, even in minor roles. I also appreciate that it doesn't give a gently caress about traditions around historical productions; one of the characters in this, a French nobleman, is played by an American using his native accent. And there's some fun, weird touches as it goes, like a character's slow death march into solid gold insanity, or Queen Mary's frothing at the mouth bonkerisms. There's a lot of crazy all over on the show, but it wears it well. Looking forward to season two, and I don't normally go in for this kind of thing.

The Essex Serpent
It's really gorgeous and Claire Danes / Frank Dillane are really good in it. That's about it. I don't think Tom Hiddelston finds the right register to play his character so the chemistry isn't quite there between him and Danes, and since it's a prime mover of the plot it knocks the miniseries's feet out from under it. I never got too strong a handle on the plot either, which moves through several different locations and subplots without much attention to individual episodes or providing a strong thesis. The central metaphors are deliberately a bit ambiguous, and different characters are constantly "playing the serpent" with each other in ways that are probably meant to be interesting and ambivalent, but I mostly found the tension completely absent. Killer in a story that's about things almost happening, and then not. Disappointing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The last two episodes of Daisy Jones and the Six dropped yesterday. Like the rest of the show, the finale was pretty good but not great, and my feelings about the shortcomings of the show. I just couldn't get fully invested in any of the characters especially the non-Billy&Daisy characters.

There's something about the structure of the show (the conceit of it being basically all extended flashbacks from interviews) that didn't totally work for me, like it was trying too hard or didn't translate from the page (haven't read the books but guessing here). I think having the "current day" characters talking about stuff just makes it harder to care about what was going on in the '70's.

The wrap-up was fine and I liked the touch that the interviewer was Camila and Billy's daughter

For any book readers, I'm curious if Simone was actually a character in the book. She was great but I can also imagine the TV execs were like, this show is way too straight and white and we need to add another character.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Open Source Idiom posted:

Better Things (Season One)
Show owns, and is IMO criminally under discussed. Sam is a living saint, except she's also rude and aggressive and aggressively casual, all of which just makes her cooler tbh. Her children are actual demons sent from hell, including her biggest child: her batshit but still aggressively independent mother. Celia Imrie steals the show, obviously, but everyone is really good in this. Excellent casting from the kids; love that Mikey Madison, at least, is enjoying something of a film career.

Black Bird
Really great when it's doing the quasi-Mindhunter stuff in the prison. I've never liked Taron Edgerton more, and Paul Walter Hauser is doing some insane poo poo with his performance, particularly his voice. Their scenes together are electrifying, a push pull between two people who aren't particularly smart and have no poker face, who are relying on the other guy being dumber than they are. That stuff's actually excellent, genuinely unnerving and moving. And then there's all the stuff outside the prison, whose purpose and usefulness vacillates wildly from scene to scene. The back half of the season is much stronger than the first half, though, and it ends strong.

Hell yeah, Better Things is fantastic though I haven't seen the latest couple of seasons. The kids really are the best.

I loved Black Bird and as you said Paul Walter Hauser is really good; the role is a far cry from Stingray in Cobra Kai. I have a feeling we're going to see him in a lot more dramatic stuff like Black Bird.

I didn't realize until now he played the titular role in Richard Jewell. Is it any good?

He's also in the newest ATHF movie - Aqua Teen Forever: Phantasm

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

isaboo posted:

Hell yeah, Better Things is fantastic though I haven't seen the latest couple of seasons. The kids really are the best.

I loved Black Bird and as you said Paul Walter Hauser is really good; the role is a far cry from Stingray in Cobra Kai. I have a feeling we're going to see him in a lot more dramatic stuff like Black Bird.

I didn't realize until now he played the titular role in Richard Jewell. Is it any good?

He's also in the newest ATHF movie - Aqua Teen Forever: Phantasm

Richard Jewell is great. Also, the thing I most remember him from: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Richie the Juggalo. He's a very talented actor and is gonna have a lot of success.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Oh just you wait. I'm not sure what episode you are on, but it gets bonkers.

I just finished the third episode and I can't see how it can get any worse but I guess I'll find out later today...

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

They showed a severed dick. There's plenty of basic cable that wouldn't dare.

I was thinking more like the major pay channels like HBO, Cinemax, etc., but yeah, I remember thinking they did poo poo that I hadn't seen even in theatrical movies on HBO. The only basic cable channel I can imagine even considering it would be FX.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Watched Koala Man which is your usual silly fun animation with a mix of the usual suspects of NZ/Australian talent and some new faces on board. A quick, fun watch.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
About half way through Daisy Jones and the Six. It's all a bit too safe and predictable to be great, but it managed to be be a bit of watchable fun. The performances are pretty good all round.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Started Torchwood last night, got two episodes in, and I can't believe I'm the one suggesting we stop watching a hokey low-budget science fiction series. Are we supposed to like or be impressed with Jack Harkness, smug sexist rear end in a top hat talking over everyone and interjecting at inappropriate times? I kept looking for signs of self-awareness in the show, like maybe the point is their leader is a giant wanker, but I'm pretty sure they mean for him to be a charming and intriguing leader.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Remy Marathe posted:

Started Torchwood last night, got two episodes in, and I can't believe I'm the one suggesting we stop watching a hokey low-budget science fiction series. Are we supposed to like or be impressed with Jack Harkness, smug sexist rear end in a top hat talking over everyone and interjecting at inappropriate times? I kept looking for signs of self-awareness in the show, like maybe the point is their leader is a giant wanker, but I'm pretty sure they mean for him to be a charming and intriguing leader.

Treat it as a wildly camp comedy and that first season is a lot of fun. Gerbils with guns and lots of collateral damage. The episode quality can also vary incredibly depending on the writer, e.g. the third episode is actually trying to do something small and meaningful, while the fourth episode has a romantically tragic speech about dog piss.

Jack is a wanker, Owen is a sexist piece of poo poo, everyone treats Tosh and Owen like crap just for doing their jobs, and Gwen loses her marbles. There's a sequence between her and her husband around episode ten that's the most absolutely heinous poo poo and the soundtrack desperately wants you to feel sorry for her. It rules.

FWIW the guy who ran the show's first two seasons, Chris Chibnall, has said that it was his intention to make something quite camp. I don't believe him, I think he just stumbled into something like that by trying too hard and too earnestly, but that's what he said.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Rookie taking a real nosedive. One of the main and best characters left the show, because of the reasons no one should act or make or watch a cop show, and they just kill off his character. Happens during a ridiculously soap operay plot of a pregnant detective's wedding getting hijacked by a cartoonishly crime boss last. These cops are now just like a paramilitary black ops group whenever they want to be now I guess.

The show also started off with an inappropriate relationship between Nathan Dillion and one of the other leads, but thankfully pivoted way the hell away from that, but now they're trying to do it again by pairing her with the douchebag trainer cop. They could just write someone sensible for her to date rather than make anyone have to be with that dude.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

ShowTime posted:

Richard Jewell is great. Also, the thing I most remember him from: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Richie the Juggalo. He's a very talented actor and is gonna have a lot of success.

Dang. Didn't make that connection.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Jamie Taco keeps taking all of his lines, though.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

ShowTime posted:

I Think You Should Leave used him best. Jamie Taco stole his lines!

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Tried starting The Swarm, the German sci-fi thing, but barely made it through the first episode. Some of the writing and acting is amateur theatre/soap opera bad, and it's mostly, well, boring. Will probably give it another shot later on.

Conversely, only barely three episodes into Swarm, the psycho-thriller Donald Glover is involved in, and :stare:

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I've been watching a pretty bad show on Netflix that has become my guilty pleasure. I realize how terrible the show is, but I can't stop watching it.

It's a Chinese show called The King's Avatar and it's about a Chinese esports player/team. It's like half live action and half Unreal engine, using facial and motion capture to put the live actors into a fictional game world. It's corny and predictable, with the main actor being so good at the game that he is basically unbeatable, but throughout the show he basically levels up a new character and recruits friends from his past or makes new ones to play with him.

It was apparently a relatively big hit in China, mostly with a younger audience. I can kind of see why. It's a bit of a feel good character driven drama centered around video games and esports, but uses some pretty typical character tropes I recognize from other Chinese film. Like I said, bit of an odd one to get addicted to watching. I have to watch the whole thing in subtitles. But I guess everyone has an odd show they've gotten hooked on.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Since I liked Scrubs and Community, I decided to start casually watching Cougar Town as it was constantly on my top recommendation list.

Yeah. Its non-offensive sort of comedy but how the hell did this run for six seasons? Its basically about alcoholic people living in the suburbs with their failing lives, marriages and becoming a booze crew that becomes a group full of toxic relationships.

I actually think it would be 100% funnier if it was reshot 1:1 as grim, nordic-noir style show about group of people living together being estranged from the general society. In several episodes you wouldn't even need to change any of the dialogue, even if the setting was a failing industry town in the dark forests of Nordic countries and the bar was the local dive.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Meatgrinder posted:

Tried starting The Swarm, the German sci-fi thing, but barely made it through the first episode. Some of the writing and acting is amateur theatre/soap opera bad, and it's mostly, well, boring. Will probably give it another shot later on.

Yeah, i read the book and some others by the author more than a decade ago and my father likes this series, but I really zoned out during thebfirst episode and haven't found a motivation to return.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I've been watching The Dragon Prince. Expected to turn it off quick, thought it was related to dragon age or how to train your dragon or something and wasn't in the mood for either but it is it's Own Thing. I think it's more for YA with unusually wise and mature kids, and is a little idk basic or archetypal at times but I like the basic tensions of the world and got invested. Seasons are a bit short but probably for the best, things progress fairly snappily and don't waste too much time drawing out destinations you know are inevitable. It also has some dynamics with the dark magic and how it starts turning folks with even good intentions to evil in a slippery fashion, and if those good intentions are actually just masqueraded bigotry and fear turns you straight up fascist in no time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I've been watching The Dragon Prince. Expected to turn it off quick, thought it was related to dragon age or how to train your dragon or something and wasn't in the mood for either but it is it's Own Thing. I think it's more for YA with unusually wise and mature kids, and is a little idk basic or archetypal at times but I like the basic tensions of the world and got invested. Seasons are a bit short but probably for the best, things progress fairly snappily and don't waste too much time drawing out destinations you know are inevitable. It also has some dynamics with the dark magic and how it starts turning folks with even good intentions to evil in a slippery fashion, and if those good intentions are actually just masqueraded bigotry and fear turns you straight up fascist in no time.
It's pretty good. The main problem is that the production got extremely hosed over by netflix and there ended up being multi-year delays, plus they thought it was going to be cancelled so they ended up rushing through the plot and then it turned out they had to make more, so the pacing is a bit weird. I still haven't watched the most recent season that finally came out after an insanely long wait, but at least all the previous seasons were good.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Der Kyhe posted:

Since I liked Scrubs and Community, I decided to start casually watching Cougar Town as it was constantly on my top recommendation list.

Yeah. Its non-offensive sort of comedy but how the hell did this run for six seasons? Its basically about alcoholic people living in the suburbs with their failing lives, marriages and becoming a booze crew that becomes a group full of toxic relationships.

I actually think it would be 100% funnier if it was reshot 1:1 as grim, nordic-noir style show about group of people living together being estranged from the general society. In several episodes you wouldn't even need to change any of the dialogue, even if the setting was a failing industry town in the dark forests of Nordic countries and the bar was the local dive.

It's got strong middle seasons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

mystes posted:

It's pretty good. The main problem is that the production got extremely hosed over by netflix and there ended up being multi-year delays, plus they thought it was going to be cancelled so they ended up rushing through the plot and then it turned out they had to make more, so the pacing is a bit weird. I still haven't watched the most recent season that finally came out after an insanely long wait, but at least all the previous seasons were good.

That's not the vibe I got from the series. This is based on nothing but the show in front of me, but I got the sense that they were always going to make those first four seasons with the intention of making seven, and then got the back three ordered some time after the fourth season aired. Hence the long production windup.

I remember there was some vaguely scummy tweets during the first season telling people that they should watch the show goddamn quick or else there'd be no follow up season, when there were already three more seasons ordered. But of course generating that kind of energy is what got the back three ordered, so I get why they did it.

tbh the guy behind the show has a lot of stink about him, so I'm inclined to think poorly of him.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Der Kyhe posted:

Its basically about alcoholic people living in the suburbs with their failing lives, marriages and becoming a booze crew that becomes a group full of toxic relationships.
Pretty relatable OP.

What annoyed me about Cougar Town was bringing back a Scrubs character for an episode just to ruin his life

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

sad question posted:

What annoyed me about Cougar Town was bringing back a Scrubs character for an episode just to ruin his life

That reminds me, didn't they have a reciprocal crossover with Community as well?
Mostly just background characters/interactions, but I think I remember some of the CT characters hanging out in the crowd of the second paintball episode and Abed interrupting a lunch conversation on Cougar Town?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There is an episode that is a parody of My Dinner with Andre and in it Abed tells Jeff that over the summer he was a background extra on an episode of Cougar Town and he passed out and pooped himself.

sad question
May 30, 2020

Indeed, in one episode Abed is sitting in the background and then suddenly runs out, presumably to poo poo his pants

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

EVIL is pretty good for a procedural, got Michael Emerson (LOST, Person of Interest, etc) in it, a Mulder/Scully vibe from the two leads, some weird/gross/funny demon stuff.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

EVIL is pretty good for a procedural, got Michael Emerson (LOST, Person of Interest, etc) in it, a Mulder/Scully vibe from the two leads, some weird/gross/funny demon stuff.

Evil is great, I can't wait to see where things go next.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

There is an episode that is a parody of My Dinner with Andre and in it Abed tells Jeff that over the summer he was a background extra on an episode of Cougar Town and he passed out and pooped himself.

Okay I saw that cougar town post and was sure it was a fictional one, like others I thought made up for Community.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mystes posted:

Looks like I lucked into a relatively nice place to jump in the, guess they've got a game in the world too. I thought they resolved the evil fascist dad big battle a bit fast but it was also a forgone conclusion and I was ready for him to get his rear end whipped. I also like them turning the doofus paladin around, hated him and liked sister at first but now like him and well, still like her but she's up to no good. It's a nice contrast of her normal cheeriness and goofballery mixed with her evil pragmatism.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Treat it as a wildly camp comedy and that first season is a lot of fun. Gerbils with guns and lots of collateral damage. The episode quality can also vary incredibly depending on the writer, e.g. the third episode is actually trying to do something small and meaningful, while the fourth episode has a romantically tragic speech about dog piss.

Jack is a wanker, Owen is a sexist piece of poo poo, everyone treats Tosh and Owen like crap just for doing their jobs, and Gwen loses her marbles. There's a sequence between her and her husband around episode ten that's the most absolutely heinous poo poo and the soundtrack desperately wants you to feel sorry for her. It rules.

FWIW the guy who ran the show's first two seasons, Chris Chibnall, has said that it was his intention to make something quite camp. I don't believe him, I think he just stumbled into something like that by trying too hard and too earnestly, but that's what he said.

This actually helped, 6 episodes in I'm glad we stuck with Torchwood so far. It's awful, but not in a predictable way, which is fun.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Finally picked back up on The Wire after bouncing off season 2 way back when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You either like the second season or you don’t. It’s typically seen as a weird departure but keep on trucking it gets better.