Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I actually love how the rain looks moodwise, and don't mind how the lightning can make you adjust your armor and weapons since you can still largely still keep doing whatever you were doing already, it's just the disruption to climbing that bothers me. Give me a gear boost to help get around that after a while, and I'd pretty much be perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Opopanax posted:

The problem with rain in Botw is there's no benefit to it. It's not like a risk/reward thing where you can find more valuable loot, it's strictly a detriment and there's no reason not to just skip it. I think there's one shrine that only appears during a storm but that's it

I think you can do some gimmicks like keeping a metal weapon equipped until it begins to spark, then throwing it at an enemy so they get struck by lightning. Presumably there are benefits around enemies that use fire but I can’t think of any off the top of my head. it would definitely be good to have a perk to rain that feels as noticeable as the downside.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I'd personally make it so that rain makes it easier to do stealth, since I figured the rain would make it harder for enemies to see, hear or smell you. And speaking of stuff, that's what annoys me about the Heavy Rain from Left 4 Dead 2. Y'see the game's lore makes it very clear that the infected are very sensitive to sound light and smell, it's why boomer bile and pipe bombs work as well as they do in manipulating the horde. So you can probably imagine that being in a rain storm of that magnitude would be so overwhelming they would never even know you were there even if you had a burglar alarm strapped to your head.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

the_steve posted:

In their defense, I'm almost entirely certain that The Nephilim were a thing back in the older Diablo prequel novels about the Sin War.

As far as I'm concerned any Diablo novels that weren't packed in with the game box are non canonical :corsair:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I got the big pack of Civ 6 recently and I’m not a big fan of how they do wonders. In Civ 6 each wonder has a location restriction to it, so some have to be built on flood plains, others mountains.

Now I feel like I need to know this whole sub-category of what wonders can be built where and it’s leading to a lot of second guessing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

moosecow333 posted:

I got the big pack of Civ 6 recently and I’m not a big fan of how they do wonders. In Civ 6 each wonder has a location restriction to it, so some have to be built on flood plains, others mountains.

Now I feel like I need to know this whole sub-category of what wonders can be built where and it’s leading to a lot of second guessing.

Or is it?

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
Yeah, civ 6 wonders always felt to me like you had to know what their requirements were before you even start and plan your cities around having specific tiles available. Add in that the Districts system means that you need even more tiles to use just to get basic outputs going, and some wonders need to be beside certain districts while on certain tiles on certain tuesdays, and it's just a giant pain.

The thing that bugs me the most about Civ 6, though, is that I can't turn off the Dark/Normal/Golden Age system. Even if I play a game with only Gathering Storm enabled, it's still there.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

JackSplater posted:

Yeah, civ 6 wonders always felt to me like you had to know what their requirements were before you even start and plan your cities around having specific tiles available. Add in that the Districts system means that you need even more tiles to use just to get basic outputs going, and some wonders need to be beside certain districts while on certain tiles on certain tuesdays, and it's just a giant pain.

The thing that bugs me the most about Civ 6, though, is that I can't turn off the Dark/Normal/Golden Age system. Even if I play a game with only Gathering Storm enabled, it's still there.

What, really? But isn't it part of Gathering Storm the other dlc I can't remember the name of? Did they integrate it into the base game?

Elsa Maria
Jun 7, 2013
I recently played Moonglow Bay and really enjoyed the chill fishing and cooking vibe of it, and then apparently someone decided that the game needed boss fights?

I thought they'd be reasonable until I got to the second boss and it's suddenly a massive difficulty spike with no real way of skipping it or levelling up to make it easier, and I'm just not that good at games...

I ragequit a fishing game :smith:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Elsa Maria posted:

I recently played Moonglow Bay and really enjoyed the chill fishing and cooking vibe of it, and then apparently someone decided that the game needed boss fights?

I thought they'd be reasonable until I got to the second boss and it's suddenly a massive difficulty spike with no real way of skipping it or levelling up to make it easier, and I'm just not that good at games...

I ragequit a fishing game :smith:

I had a similar experience with "Rollers of the Realm", a silly casual pinball rpg hybrid. Most of the game was pretty fun, but then the final boss was an absolutely massive difficulty spike with terrible checkpointing.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

credburn posted:

What, really? But isn't it part of Gathering Storm the other dlc I can't remember the name of? Did they integrate it into the base game?

All the base game changes made in Rise and Fall (yes, I had to look it up) got added to Gathering Storm. So yeah, kinda. Which sucks.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Rain is inherently cool and dramatic, that's the perk

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The thing dragging Pentiment down is that it's not on PS4/PS5. :colbert:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

The thing dragging Pentiment down is that it's not on PS4/PS5. :colbert:

Unsurprising given the ps5 has no games.

That and the game kept crashing on my computer so I only got the guy out of the starting bedroom once.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
SMT 5 - there is no way, short of searching up a guide, to determine appropriate content for my level when it's all mixed in to the open world. I guess maybe I'm supposed to trial and error and flee if it seems too difficult?

I really hate that I attempted the first fiend fight way too late. Matador was a thrilling challenge in 3, in 5 I stomped him in 2 turns (oops). I never wondered if I was doing something too early or too late in 3, but 20 years later I feel like I'm missing the intended difficulty curve.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

JackSplater posted:

While the district system is mostly great, a lot of the wonders are overly restrictive placement-wise. Fortunately you don't have to worry too much about remembering their requirements since most of them are mediocre! :haw:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The thing that drags down Grim Dawn is that there isn't more of it. I'm absolutely late to the grim dawn party, but having finally finished the second DLC, there are still a load of open ended questions in the narrative and things I want to kill!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In RE4 remake I'm old and bad at videogames. I don't remember the old game being this hard

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Len posted:

In RE4 remake I'm old and bad at videogames. I don't remember the old game being this hard

It wasn't

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Yeah the old game was simpler but you can get gud at the new one too with parrying and dodging.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

It's hard to believe that Santa Monica skipped putting equipment loadouts into God of War: Ragnarok. The number of things to equip would put any RPG to shame and in many cases even if you combined the equipment of your entire party compared to Ragnarok's 1 (and 1/3) playable character.

The game is clearly designed for the player to unlock powerful synergies in different builds but switching between them must be so tedious. Just the Amulet by itself has 9 slots.

Yeah, going back post game, this is annoying. There's a dozen different builds that are supposed to bulldoze the super bosses, but changing 3 armors, 3 weapon hilts, 6 runic attacks, a shield style, plus a rondle, relic and any number of combinations on the amulet - it gets tedious.

I am eagerly awaiting NG+ and I'd kind of enjoy a mini boss rush mode. Give me respawning drauger holes, more dragons, and more trolls. I don't care if it makes no sense, let me re-challenge the berserkers again.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

A lot of games would be way better for replayability if there were options like that. I wish when I thought "hey that was a fun fight/sequence, it'd be cool to do it again" it didn't so often mean another playthrough of the entire game again to do so.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's why I like Monster Hunter, all boss rush all the time

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Spider-Man: Edge of Time wasn't great but it had a really cool feature like that. It was a linear gameand there were challenges tied to certain rooms/fights, standard stuff like "defeat all enemies in 3 minutes" or whatever, but you could back to any of those specific fights from the pause menu if you missed something.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Arrath posted:

That's why I like Monster Hunter, all boss rush all the time

Hell yeah. I still occasionally load up world just to have a few fights with my favorite big red murder dog.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Opopanax posted:

Spider-Man: Edge of Time wasn't great but it had a really cool feature like that. It was a linear gameand there were challenges tied to certain rooms/fights, standard stuff like "defeat all enemies in 3 minutes" or whatever, but you could back to any of those specific fights from the pause menu if you missed something.

Insomniac dipped their toes into it with their first Spider-Man game but then dove fully in for Miles Morales. Everything is replayable. Story chapters, side missions, base fights, skills challenges, and you get the ability to manually spawn any crime instead of waiting or hoping for it to randomly generate.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Entering Far Cry 5 for the first time is a trip, because it's a game that's been so extensively litigated right here ITT for years, so now I get to see how all these facets come together.

So far I wouldn't say it's bad just...incredibly strange.

- I immediately understand why the hit squads are a thing. This is the first Far Cry with total open co-op and basically no structure at all beyond "go here and do stuff, whatever stuff you want" which is more similar to something like Wildlands or Just Cause 2 or something. And actually a bit of an echo of Far Cry 2 quietly in the distance. This isn't to say the execution is remotely good (even hearing it in all intended seriousness "Hit 'em with the bliss bullets!" does not land at ALL) but I at least see why they would feel the need to implement such a "feature".

- So uh, Joseph Seed straight up has magic powers, huh? Like dude is in your head five seconds into the game and it's clearly the justification for the alternate ending.

- The tone is absolutely bizarre and I can immediately pick up the undercurrent of "Eden's Gate is just every flavor of fundamentalism blurred into one big messy pastiche". The basic foot soldiers of the cult are also nigh-indistinguishable from the filthy survivalist cult from the Tomb Raider reboot. Hell, they act like loving zombies in the intro when they crawl all over the helicopter and somehow take it down. Dutch is a real misfire of a character, because he's a right wing anti-gubmint prepper rear end in a top hat, but y'know, he's not the cult so it's okay.

- Yay, Willis is back! Oh wait they made him even more of a useless prick than usual because lol piss tape joke. Fun fact: Once the mission is over there's nothing stopping you from doming him, which because he's a mission NPC he'll just drop and sit there whining about it until you revive him. At which point you can pick him back up and do it again.

- I can't tell if the fishing sucks, the tutorial for the fishing sucks, I'm somehow inexplicably bad at it, or I was trying to fish a tricky catch without the fishing perk. Or all of the above!

- Being able to pick and choose what perks to unlock in what order with no real restrictions: good. Everything else about the perk point system: bad. Takes way too many points to unlock any given thing beyond the pity cheap stuff and the challenges all but force you to farm specific poo poo. Maybe if the perks were better balanced, but a solid third are "mandatory unlocks to even begin to do That Far Cry stuff".

- I feel like they somehow made the AI worse. There was always a problem in these games where anyone witnessing a kill instantly knew where you were but pretended not to, but many, many times I've rolled up on an outpost or equivalent and all it takes is one messy kill to send every single enemy on high alert and running straight towards my position in perfect shooting gallery formation.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Hey why did we need a Resident Evil 4 remake, anyway? It looks like they tried to recapture the worst parts of it (the controls). Why? Is that what we're nostalgic for? Bring back tank controls for every third person game.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Bring back tank controls for every third person game.

Please, don't give them ideas.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

Hey why did we need a Resident Evil 4 remake, anyway? It looks like they tried to recapture the worst parts of it (the controls). Why? Is that what we're nostalgic for? Bring back tank controls for every third person game.

It didn't really need a remake, but the one we got is hella fun overall. I'm not sure what you're saying about the controls, it updated them to modern shorter controls rather than the somewhat clunky early ones in the original (pretty much the only thing I really struggle to get into when playing it nowadays).

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i haven’t played the remake but the best version of RE4 was on the Wii

games that worked well on the Wii worked loving *great*

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

RE4 had tank controls, RE4R plays like a normal game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rockman Reserve posted:

See also Pandora's Tower, the glitch on the NA version notwithstanding (I have the EU version so mine works). That's a really neat use of the wiimote, flicking it to wrap things in chains.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

The vr version is better simply because you can dual wield.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of my biggest complaints with RE4make is that they should have made Code Veronica instead. It was a favorite of mine but I can't get back into the full tank controls, and original RE4 is still very playable as is

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Lobok posted:

you get the ability to manually spawn any crime instead of waiting or hoping for it to randomly generate.

JJJ proven right again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Nuebot posted:

The thing that drags down Grim Dawn is that there isn't more of it. I'm absolutely late to the grim dawn party, but having finally finished the second DLC, there are still a load of open ended questions in the narrative and things I want to kill!

Honestly by the end of two expansions I had had plenty of Grim Dawn. I am a bit sad Crate isn't working on another ARPG, but I guess Farthest Frontier is getting a pretty good reception in early access.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

John Murdoch posted:

Far Cry 5 stuff

A lot of this stuff works better in Far Cry 6.
- The tone is more coherent. You take down an authoritarian leader obsessed with his own cult of personality because he enslaves people and forces them to work on his cancer tobacco farms, not because he drugs them with his Jesus magic. There's very little weirdness in Far Cry 6 (other than one specific thing).
- The perks are incorporated with the robust armor system. For instance, you have boots that automatically disable tripmines and gloves that allow you to do an advanced takedown. The parachute, grapple, and wingsuit are unlocked from the start, and so forth.
- The fishing feels better. It's not as good as RDR2, but you don't have to unlock it by spending vaguely defined coins, and I could generally catch whatever fish I wanted from the get-go.

The things I genuinely don't like about 6 are:
- It loves showing Dani from third-person, when the previous games have been very careful about doing. It breaks immersion for me a little, and takes away the menace from the obligatory "meet the villain for the first time as he stands in your face threatening you" scene.
- The DLC is not great (vague roguelikes, yaaay).
- There's lots of crafting, which fits the tone of scrounging to survive, but fills the world to the brim with Ubisoft resource nodes and two (2) types of treasure chests.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That does remind me, one small nicety (or maybe not?) I discovered: They finally did away with the skill that lets you do takedowns on heavies; so as long as you can get the drop on them they die like anything else. I was never a fan of those skills (and it even got replicated into Watchdogs 1) but I have to admit it also feels a bit weird.

Anyway, I drat near rage quit the game tonight because of an astoundingly bad mission. On paper it should be nothing - it's a follow up to a mission that trained you in the basics of flying a plane, so now it's time to train you in the basics of plane combat. Except nothing about it works correctly at all.

- For one, the plane you're taking out to go blow stuff up is literally the personal plane of The Plane Guy you helped in the previous mission for the express purpose of unlocking him as one of your buddies so he can do strafing/bombing runs. This character outright disappears into the void during this mission and his wife instead tells you what to do and it's now your personality responsibility to go do plane stuff for no expressed reason.

- The plane's control is not too squirrely...at least by the standards of Far Cry vehicle control, but your field of view is so utterly hosed because you're flying in first person that properly aiming the plane at ground targets to shoot them with the minigun can be a nightmare. Bombs also barely ever seem to work, probably an accuracy issue but impossible to tell because again, you can't loving see what you're doing properly. The separate bombing camera barely helps.

- First you're sent to go blow up a single stationary target. Then you're sent to go blow up two moving convoys. Everything about these convoys is hosed. First, they seem to take a random route around the game world and/or keep on trucking along the same path even as you reload from death so you have to completely change your angle of attack on the fly based on where they've moved to in the intervening time. Second, these are convoys with turret trucks watching their backs and obviously lots of enemies riding in them in general. Turns out the plane can take gently caress and all for damage from their guns. Barring a perfect strafing run that blows up all three trucks in one fell swoop or a magic bomb drop that somehow hits all three you WILL get enemy aggro and eat poo poo from them in the process no matter what. Third, one of the few times I did manage to land a decent bomb...the objective bugged out and got stuck, wanting me to destroy some phantom remnant of convoy that no longer existed.

- For whatever reason this whole exercise does not count as a "proper" mission so you can't manually restart from checkpoint. It still has checkpoints, thank christ...you just can't manually reload for reasons that are beyond me. One time when I died instead of respawning me at the airfield it dumped me at a random PoI in the middle of nowhere, forcing me to manually fast travel back there myself.

- Every single time you end up back at the airfield to try again, the wife helpfully informs you that you can try as many times as you like, near-literally saying they an infinite supply of planes (that all take the form of, again, a unique plane special and important to Plane Guy as the game literally just explained one mission ago).

It's like they forgot they needed a plane combat tutorial mission until five days before the game went gold.

Separate annoyance: I'm not sure if it's some misguided attempt at keeping the player's attention no matter what (doubly for co-op purposes), an over-correction from FC3's infamous enemy depopulation problem, or a factor of the structure-less open world "go do random poo poo" thing but if you hang around literally any random stretch of road for about 10 seconds, you will end up with a loving infinite cavalcade of side targets rolling through one after the other. Stuff like shipping trucks (that helpfully have exactly one exotic weapon and nothing else to loot inside), cult vans carrying prisoners, etc. By the time you deal with the first one and loot the truck/free the hostages/whatever the next one is guaranteed to be rolling up. This also affects things like the fishing - you'll be sitting there trying to wrangle with the lovely fishing controls while also ducking enemy aggro because the same infinite line of enemy vehicles will be buzzing by you the whole time. I've since made the cult mad enough to also start hunting me by plane, so every five minutes on the dot I have to worry about getting North by Northwest-ed yet again. (Oh and I sure do love these random plane attacks interrupting quest NPCs.) This is another one of those things that was occasionally a problem in certain spots in previous games, but I swear it's every road now. It's safer to drive anywhere off-road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That last one really is no joke, you so much as pull over to repair your vehicle on the side of the road and by the time you're done an entire parade of targets has driven by.