Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Tekopo posted:

I finally got my Monster Hunter: World kickstarter in the mail, and was pleasently surprised. People said that Steamforged's Dark Souls wasn't too bad, but MHW really does feel pretty well thought out so far. I wrote a deeper analysis in the board game thread, but the game is decent, the minis are very nice (although one broke unfortunately), and the game itself doesn't feel like a cashgrab, which is what I was worried about, and is an enjoyable game while still having a lot of mechanisms that are really flavourful for a MH game.

I enjoyed your trip report. If you get a chance, I'd love to hear how my one true love (Switch Axe) plays in the cardboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bear in mind these are the base functionality cards (when you upgrade your weapon, they can have additional skills, and they modify your attack deck as well), but the base gameplay of the Switch Axe appears to be as follows:

Switch Axe, unlike other weapons, splits it's attack card deck into two separate ones: Axe and Sword. When you draw cards, you can draw from either deck, and each deck has their own separate discard. Cards from the two decks are quite different: the Axe side doesn't have a lot of damage, but you have a lot of post and pre-attack movement, and none of the Axe cards require a combo (ie having other face-up attacks on the Stamina board to be played). As well as that, the agility score of the cards is always two (this is used to move and dodge within the game).

The Sword side, on the other hand, is where the big damage is, but all of the cards have a combo requirement of at least 1, 2 or even 3, for the Element Discharge, which is a big finisher. So why not just draw Sword cards all the time? Well, the aforementioned combo requirement means that you need to at least play one Axe attack to even be able to play Sword cards, and as well as that, the agility of all Sword cards is 0, so if you just fill up on them, there is no way to dodge monster attacks.

I haven't tried it in an actual game, but it seems that the idea with the weapon is to strike a balance between having defensive options with Axe cards, and offensive power with Sword cards. I'm not too familiar with the Switch Axe to say if this is true to the videogame representation, but it's an interesting tactical puzzle at least.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

And if anyone want to know how any of the other weapons play, let me know. Hammer and Dual Blades (the best weapons) are in the breakdown I did, but I'd be happy to analyse the base cards of any of the weapons.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
i’d be interested to hear what they did for greatsword

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

And insect glaive, as je suis monté

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tekopo posted:

And if anyone want to know how any of the other weapons play, let me know. Hammer and Dual Blades (the best weapons) are in the breakdown I did, but I'd be happy to analyse the base cards of any of the weapons.

there is long sword, and then there are weapons that silently wish they were long sword.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

there is long sword, and then there are weapons that silently wish they were long sword.

weeb

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Alright, Greatsword:

So, first of all, there aren't any outright gimmicks like for Switch Axe, you just play a fairly standard attack deck, much like Hammer and Dual Blades. Agility values on the deck are all 1s, which isn't great, apart from two cards (which I will reveal later), so you are going to be hardpressed to be able to dodge certain enemy attacks without expending a fair amount of cards. This is somewhat made up by having two Greatsword Blocks, which can be discarded to give you +3 armour for an entire monster attack.

Most of the cards are fairly standard; you have some that you can discard from the stamina board after playing (there are tactical considerations to do keep them there), you have one card that draws more damage if you play multiple copies of that card during a single turn, you have a 2 damage card that also part-breaks, and you have tackle, which is low damage but has movement and stun.

Where it gets interesting is the other cards:
- Charge Up: this card doesn't do anything apart from not counting as one of your card plays for the turn, as well as giving every attack played that turn the ability to part-break. The former ability doesn't seem very useful: why would you want to clog up your stamina board? Well, that's where the other two cards come into play. They also are the only cards in your deck with agility value 2.
- Jumping Slash and True Charged Slash: These are finishers that have a combo value of 2 (and yes, Charge Up can count towards that combo requirement), but both have special conditions if they are played in the last, fifth slot of the stamina board. Jumping Slash is discarded if played on the fifth slot, but only draws 2 damage cards, and True Charged Slash draws two additional cards for damage if played on the 5th slot, for a total of 4 damage cards!

So to get the big damage in, you have to play risky and fill out your entire board, and since your cards have pretty low agility, it means you won't be able to dodge effectively after finishing with a True Charged Slash. Big risk, big reward. Feels thematic for the weapon, though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Big risk, big reward. Feels thematic for the weapon, though.

i’ve played great sword extremely stupid since they introduced the tackle (and now rage slash) so that’s dope

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Insect Glaive

Insect Glaive has three special cards associated with it called "Kinsect: Harvest Extract". You randomly shuffle them and put them above your stamina board, and at the start of your turn, you flip the leftmost face down Kinsect. Once all three Kinsects are revealed, at the end of your turn, you reshuffle them and lay them down face down, and repeat the whole thing.

The kinsects themselves have three colours, and give bonuses to attacks that match that colour of kinsect if the kinsect is face up. Red kinsect does more damage, white kinsect allows you to move or add part-break, and orange kinsect allows you to discard cards if you meet certain criteria at the end of your turn.

The only special card you have is Vault, which allows you to move 1 if you discard it (and thus doesn't count as a card play for the turn), which also has Agility 2. All the other cards have a range of Agility from 0 to 2.

Apart from that, the attacks don't have many additional rules: most have an associated Kinsect, and that's what makes them powerful. You can have incredibly powerful combos if you time them right and have the right cards (you can do a 3 draw -> 3 draw -> 4 draw combo if you have the red kinsect up), or have extremely good stamina recovery, or be extremely mobile and have incredible part-break potential. But you have to time the kinsects correctly to take full advantage.

Long Sword

Ah yes, the perfect weapon for people that want to continually loving trip me, I mean why the gently caress are you hitting the head, Hammers go to the head, go to the loving tail, and no, I don't care, you can shout "put on flinch free decos" all you want, I'm not going to loving do it!!

Ahem.

The special gimmick with Long Sword is that you have a special card that basically tracks your spirit gauge. You start at white, and can play cards to make it go to yellow, then orange, and finally red (or, indeed, decrease your spirit gauge as well). You can only play certain attacks if you have the required spirit level.

In terms of agility, you have a nice mixture of 1 and 2 agility cards. Your only special card is "Ready Stance", which allows you to either clear 1 card from your stamina, or increase your spirit gauge. Your white spirit level cards are fairly standard and not all that powerful, although interestingly you do have a "thrust" card which has range 2, which is unusual since most melee weapons are only range 1. Your spirit gauge attacks are Foresight Slash and Spirit Roundslash, both useable at white and above, and you have two copies of each of your big finishers: Helm Break, which you can use at orange, and Spirit Helm Break, useable at red. Both of them decrease your spirit gauge when used.

There does seem a lot of ability for the Long Sword to zip in and out of range looking at its attack, so I think it will reward players that look at the warnings given by the boss deck and try to guess what the next attack will be, or where it will hit (the monster maneuever cards have on their back "tells", which say if the monster will target the closest/furthest away player, and the body part that the attack originates from, which is only used by the game to make more distinction between the tells!)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Anyone here caught up in the Rallyman: Dirt North America fiasco, or back it elsewhere and actually get their pledge, specifically including the co-pilot contents?

Suddenly Susan
Oct 21, 2003

armorer posted:

Anyone here caught up in the Rallyman: Dirt North America fiasco, or back it elsewhere and actually get their pledge, specifically including the co-pilot contents?

I went all in to get everything from the dirt and their previous dirt kickstarter. Checking in BGG every other week and there are some dedicated people trying to figure out a way for people to get their pledges. I don’t have high expectations though. It’s frustrating knowing the product exists and is just stuck in a warehouse. The Copan backers have zero chance of getting anything, so it could be worse.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

armorer posted:

What's the fiasco?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

CitizenKeen posted:

What's the fiasco?

The short version is Holy Grail Games had the game manufactured and shipped to RoW, but the NA containers are being held by Bolloré Logistics (their NA distributor) because they were owed money. HGG ended up folding and declared bankruptcy, and things are now being settled by a liquidator in France.

So RoW got the game but the NA backers product is sitting in limbo in Canada while the mess is sorted. Other HGG game backers are likely never seeing refunds or pledges.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

armorer posted:

I’m caught in a bit. I paid a friend to order an expansion I never got from GT. I bought the base Dirt at retail knowing I will likely not see the cool xpac poo poo without paying through the nose.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

djfooboo posted:

I’m caught in a bit. I paid a friend to order an expansion I never got from GT. I bought the base Dirt at retail knowing I will likely not see the cool xpac poo poo without paying through the nose.

Some of the GT expansions are in stock in a few places now if you look around, but yeah if you want Dirt expansions right now you need to order the Italian/Spanish (or Polish) ones from overseas and pay a ton for shipping. Fortunately all the game components are language independent and the rules books are available online in pdf format.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

It was the KS Exclusive bridge thing. Can’t find that for sale in my limited search.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

djfooboo posted:

It was the KS Exclusive bridge thing. Can’t find that for sale in my limited search.

Ah, yeah that is in the "co-pilot" expansion pack, which is unobtainium.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was asked about this weapon for MHW in the BG thread so here goes:

Hunting Horn

The hunting horn central gimmick is that once per turn you can perform a song. The songs you can perform are decided by which weapon you are currently using, and have self improvement, that makes you move quicker, and a mix of attack up, defense up, movement options, stamina recovery etc etc, and the effect lasts until the start of the hunting horn players next turn. Songs have a range, however, but this can be increased using an “Encore” attack.

There are three different notes on your attacks, and you have to have the right combination when you use a song. When you perform, you also have to flip one of the notes used in the song face down, which means you can’t perpetually perform without playing more attacks. The attacks themselves are pretty standard, with a mixture of part-break, stun, and agility ranges from 0 to 3, which means hand management is crucial. Stamina recovery is quite good, since there are some attacks that allow you to clear two stamina at the end of turn, but these are your only 3 agility attacks, so using them can be risky.

In terms of damage, you don’t really have many hard hitters, and will need to rely on others to pump out damage. Pretty standard apart from the songs.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Hey, I just launched a little Kickstarter for Hellrunners, a tabletop RPG about speedrunners glitching and breaking the metaphysical rules of reality the same way they break the rules of videogames.

Use a death warp to get into the afterlife, use an item duplication glitch, get arbitrary prayer execution via a data overflow, find the soul of Karl Marx, perform a necromantic ritual, and use a wrong warp to get back out again!

There must be something in the water, with slap me and kiss me doing a speedrunning game and sandy pug doing Hellpiercers. Maybe we were all watching the same videos about speedrunning DOOM a year ago. As with any good speculative work, it also has things to say about the real world. Alongside the obvious inspirations of Dante and John Milton, there's also a big helping of David Graeber in there.

Anyway, the game is really fun, and it's cheap, so if you have any interest at all, pick it up and check it out! I'd love to be able to pay for a cool cover for it, but it was fun using public domain art for angels and demons and hell and poo poo.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Anybody played Townfolk Tussle? I already have ATO sitting unplayed, but this seems easier to get to the table for one-offs. Any goon reviews?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Frosthaven arrived! Hoo boy, she’s a biggun.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Frosthaven arrived! Hoo boy, she’s a biggun.
Woohoo!

And yes. Just like shockingly heavy.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

djfooboo posted:

Anybody played Townfolk Tussle? I already have ATO sitting unplayed, but this seems easier to get to the table for one-offs. Any goon reviews?

played one full 4-boss campaign at 2 player, sold it for more than I paid for it, felt good.

one character was range focused, and maybe we got lucky with the marketplace gear, but they felt extremely OP.

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
http://kck.st/3TxGT0J

My Last Sunrise 2 is Live , Funded and Unlocking!

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

djfooboo posted:

Played with 4, lost by one dice roll at the last boss. Would play again, it was a lot of fun.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Haven’t played Tussle but have watched a lot of playthroughs. The new expansion looks like it makes character builds a lot easier with more synergistic gear.

It’s the low commitment option for an evening of complex boss battling, possibly the gateway drug to the more hardcore content. I know I could get people to play it, who wouldn’t have the time to commit it to the bigger boys.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Elder Scrolls: Betrayal of the second era launching tomorrow.

For someone not so familiar with crowdfunding games (me), when they say “Free Shipping”, do they actually mean Free Shipping or is it more likely Free Shipping if you live in the continental United States or Europe (and gently caress places like Australia where postage is ridiculous).

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

DRINK ME posted:

For someone not so familiar with crowdfunding games (me), when they say “Free Shipping”, do they actually mean Free Shipping or is it more likely Free Shipping if you live in the continental United States or Europe (and gently caress places like Australia where postage is ridiculous).

Too Many Bones is one of my favorite games. I really want this, I'll probably wait until it's out of crowfunding though and order from Chip Theory's online store in a few years.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think board games have kind of reached an apex that current designers have little reason to innovate on. We have amazing rules for a variety of genres and now it’s a glut of Marvel minis that tack on this or that. Capitalism has also swallowed up a ton of innovators. Vlaada seems content to just make royalties. FFG is stuck in an investor trap and seems to be on its knees nowadays. Many companies focus on Kickstarter and unfortunately the money making parts of KS have nothing to do with good rules. Innovative designs from several years ago are just being reiterated on with no expectation for improvement. Things are no longer they cut throat because any fly by night can acquire a license, slap on rules, and release an adequate game. That is the issue. A sea of adequate games based on the algorithm.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

DRINK ME posted:

never seen that before. from the update it seems like most of the world? that's pretty crazy!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Illiterati Deluxe just rocked up.

clicky clack tiles in a bag, ala Azul? Yes please.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

fr0id posted:

I think board games have kind of reached an apex that current designers have little reason to innovate on.

Iteration on successful products seems to me about the same (cf. the output of Uwe Rosenberg). There are more games being made, so there are more iterative designs out there in the wild.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Illiterati Deluxe just rocked up.

clicky clack tiles in a bag, ala Azul? Yes please.

Oh nice! I'm in the USA so no idea when mine will ship, but good to know it's arriving for folks!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Two games:

(1) SA's own Ettin just launched Wetrunner on Kickstarter. It's cyberpunk + fishing + Saved By the Bell aesthetic.

I can't imagine I'll ever run this (Fate Condensed), but Ettin's stuff is always good.

(2) Restoration Games launched Unmatched Adventures: Tales to Amaze. Kickstarter link. It's co-op unmatched, with four heroes and two villains. The heroes are playable in normal PvP Unmatched, and you can bring characters from other Unmatched games to to co-op against the villains in the deck.

New Unmatched Heroes: Jill Trent, Annie Christmas, Nikola Tesla, and The Golden Bat.

The two new Villains: Mothman and the Martian Invader (UFO). I look forward to seeing how Buffy Summers, Bruce Lee, Moon Knight, and a team of three raptors fair against the Mothman.

Both of these are easy backs for me.

Edit: Just noticed Unmatched is US & Canada only. Sorry, rest of the entire goddamn world.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 28, 2023

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

DRINK ME posted:

No real surprise but it hit funding goal like, instantly. Expect it to hit all of its stretch goals pretty easily. It looks solid enough, I backed at the base level since I'm a sucker for CTG's stuff as well as Elder Scrolls. I'll decide on addons and Valenwood later.

CitizenKeen posted:

Two games:

(1) SA's own Ettin just launched Wetrunner on Kickstarter. It's cyberpunk + fishing + Saved By the Bell aesthetic.

I can't imagine I'll ever run this (Fate Condensed), but Ettin's stuff is always good.

(2) Restoration Games launched Unmatched Adventures: Tales to Amaze. Kickstarter link. It's co-op unmatched, with four heroes and two villains. The heroes are playable in normal PvP Unmatched, and you can bring characters from other Unmatched games to to co-op against the villains in the deck.

New Unmatched Heroes: Jill Trent, Annie Christmas, Nikola Tesla, and The Golden Bat.

The two new Villains: Mothman and the Martian Invader (UFO). I look forward to seeing how Buffy Summers, Bruce Lee, Moon Knight, and a team of three raptors fair against the Mothman.

Both of these are easy backs for me.

Edit: Just noticed Unmatched is US & Canada only. Sorry, rest of the entire goddamn world.

Thanks for the heads up, I backed Unmatched. They say other sets will be available as add-ons so hopefully I can pick up a couple of other interesting ones.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 28, 2023

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Whoops, I was about to post this! But yeah, it's about going to Hell cyberpunk criminals stealing fish in a post-climate-change, eternal-summer world where they're status symbols for the rich. It's got a lot of the gonzo-action cyberpunk tropes Hard Wired Island didn't cover, but with a summer aesthetic. This time I'm taking inspiration from Cyberpunk, Leverage, and Black Lagoon.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thanks for the heads up, I backed Unmatched. They say other sets will be available as add-ons so hopefully I can pick up a couple of other interesting ones.

Cobble & Fog and Beowulf v. Red Riding Hood are the best ones, imo. Haven't tried Battle of Legends 2 yet, but it seems to have quite a power creep.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

High Tension Wire posted:

Cobble & Fog and Beowulf v. Red Riding Hood are the best ones, imo. Haven't tried Battle of Legends 2 yet, but it seems to have quite a power creep.

Didn't Cobble & Fog come out after Battle of Legends 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

CitizenKeen posted:

Didn't Cobble & Fog come out after Battle of Legends 2?

Cobble and Fog was 2020. Battle of Legends 2 was 2021.