Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Flyinglemur posted:

Miles was the other cat but he passed away before I thought to take a picture of him with his award. Anyway, that was Bernie. She was a highly decorated cat.

She looks majestic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Nystral posted:

She looks majestic.

Can you blame her? Remember how proud you were to get your first Captain's Letter?

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Not to sound like an rear end, but everyone in this thread knew that would be the case, including you.

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be months, even up to a year, before any duplicity or chicanery became obvious.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

is this the part where we all piss in the well

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MancXVI posted:

is this the part where we all piss in the well

What if you like piss?

Hahah not me I mean other people…

>.>

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Red Crown posted:

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be months, even up to a year, before any duplicity or chicanery became obvious.

On the plus side, the next time someone is considering doing something this foolish, we can point to you as an example of "how to make yourself miserable" and it won't have all those distracting months worth of posts about a different subject to distract them.
So thank you for your service, your suffering will serve as an example to others.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Please tell us details of how the Navy screwed you, it provides us salty vets much entertainment.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Please tell us details of how the Navy screwed you, it provides us salty vets much entertainment.

:emptyquote:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

E7 test results this Friday…

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

Congratulations!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

Congratulations!

Couldn’t care either way with me about to start my new gs11 job and new reserve unit of mystery. My dance card is already full.
So of course it will happen.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you make chief you can tell HR that they need to bump you to GS12

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

M_Gargantua posted:

If you make chief you can tell HR that they need to bump you to GS12

Give me a year. A lot of new projects in the pipeline and anyways with the OPM pay bump in October it’s gonna be a big loving pay bump already.

There is no loving reason to stay in the Navy if you can get a 2210GS job to finish your gov time.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Crab Dad posted:

There is no loving reason to stay in the Navy if you can get a 2210GS job to finish your gov time.

Who are you, and what have you done to MCPON crab dad?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Who are you, and what have you done to MCPON crab dad?

I’ll fight to have same pay bump for military IT duh.
Of course it will 10 years too late.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

That seems really early for results. Then again they always seemed to have a scandal every year that'd push it back. The year I went through was only ~3 weeks from results to pinning

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Crab Dad posted:

There is no loving reason to stay in the Navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

That seems really early for results. Then again they always seemed to have a scandal every year that'd push it back. The year I went through was only ~3 weeks from results to pinning

It’s just test results. Last year it was a week earlier numerically.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Crab Dad you gosh darn warmbody

Wasn't it like one year ago that i was teasing you for being a 40-year-old 2nd class?

Or maybe it was like 7 years ago i don't know any more

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

titties posted:

Crab Dad you gosh darn warmbody

Wasn't it like one year ago that i was teasing you for being a 40-year-old 2nd class?

Or maybe it was like 7 years ago i don't know any more

I made 2nd class in 2017. I remember driving to CA from WA to test because I was too dumb to ask them to split a test locally.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Crab Dad posted:

I made 2nd class in 2017. I remember driving to CA from WA to test because I was too dumb to ask them to split a test locally.

that's the kind of thinking a CPO does, congrats on your advancement to ITC!

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Keeping it vague because my world is pretty small: last year, big PERS told me "you can't do [thing], we're seriously undermanned." Just now, it's "you can't do [thing], we're too overmanned."

Oh well. I don't know if it hurts or helps that it wasn't personal.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Just a reminder, the only US ground forces active in Japan during WW2 were eight bored submariners who destroyed a train with an IED made from spare scuttling charges. Amongst them was the greatest :chiefsay: the Navy ever had.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Mar 29, 2023

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Just a reminder, the only US ground forces active in Japan during WW2 were eight bored submariners who destroyed a train with an IED made from spare scuttling charges. Amongst them was the greatest :chiefsay: the Navy ever had.

Also a quarter million troops on Okinawa

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cerekk posted:

Also a quarter million troops on Okinawa

I meant what they consider the actual Japanese islands proper (Kyushu, Honshu, Hokkaido, etc.) because racism (eww Okinawans are weird because reasons).

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Dude was a COB for four years after the invention of Senior Chief, and they never gave him the promotion. While he had stunning evals, his exam scores were sub-par after 22 years of jade buildup from naval life. At that point they didn't give promotion points for silver stars or brass balls.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

RIP Lucky Fluckey, may the Navy never stop naming lovely old buildings after you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elviscat posted:

RIP Lucky Fluckey, may the Navy never stop naming lovely old buildings after you.

I picked up my copy of Thunder Below from the high school lost and found while waiting to get yelled at by the vice principal for something I didn't do.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navy's finally naming a VA class after Barb only took them going through every dumb rear end city and state in the country.

E: seriously, we are so bad at submarine names and designations.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

The Navy's finally naming a VA class after Barb only took them going through every dumb rear end city and state in the country.

"Fish don't vote."

-Hyman G. Rickover

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

I picked up my copy of Thunder Below from the high school lost and found while waiting to get yelled at by the vice principal for something I didn't do.

My favorite Thunder Below memory was a dolphin pinning ceremony topside in Yokosuka harbor, the COB loudly reading from the book, slurs and all, as three JMSDF officers come onboard to ask for a tour.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cerekk posted:

My favorite Thunder Below memory was a dolphin pinning ceremony topside in Yokosuka harbor, the COB loudly reading from the book, slurs and all, as three JMSDF officers come onboard to ask for a tour.

:911:

Remember that photo of the F-35 landing on the new Kaga? I'm divided on whether Nimitz's reaction would be :lol: or :stare: or both.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Nimitz I get.... All the Presidents? Bleh but ok, sure. But Carl Vincent and Stennis are just stupid nobody cares about them name a loving Frigate for em whatever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Nimitz I get.... All the Presidents? Bleh but ok, sure. But Carl Vincent and Stennis are just stupid nobody cares about them name a loving Frigate for em whatever.

Carl Vinson was one of the chief reasons Congress pushed through the 1940 Two Ocean Navy Bill, which turned out to be quite important a year later, so no real objections on that accord. Stennis OTOH is a loving baffling choice and he was a pro-segregation Dixiecrat fuckhead.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

John C. Stennis was a notable piece of poo poo and an odd choice to name a carrier after. He worked with Strom Thurmond and had similar beliefs about race.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Carl Vinson was one of the chief reasons Congress pushed through the 1940 Two Ocean Navy Bill, which turned out to be quite important a year later, so no real objections on that accord. Stennis OTOH is a loving baffling choice and he was a pro-segregation Dixiecrat fuckhead.

He was fairly instrumental in funneling a shitload of Federal money at the military-industrial complex, which is always the Navy's favorite thing about a politician.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Rename the Stennis after Leo Ryan IMO.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Boooooooring on the Vinson. Better of being the Hornet or Wasp.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Crab Dad posted:

Boooooooring on the Vinson. Better of being the Hornet or Wasp.

I think the Navy's avoiding museum ship carrier names, which sucks because that eliminates Lexington, Hornet, Intrepid, Midway, and Yorktown. Also there's still a Wasp in service.

So, uh, I guess that leaves Langley, Saratoga, Franklin, Independence, and Ranger.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Mar 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Lexington and [/i]Yorktown[/i] should be a permanent part of the active service registry for sure.

All them dead presidents are jealous of Jimmy Carter though, that's a warship to have named after you.

As always the Brits have us beat on everything Navy related, Astute, Artful, Ambush, Audacious, those are ships to be feared. Like "oh poo poo the Brits have sent the motherfucking Ambush to hunt us down" vs "oh my, the Americans have sent the, uh USS City of Corpus Christi to find us".

Only exception is Dallas, and that's just because of the nickname.

E: at least Freedom and Independence are free now that those pieces of poo poo are in the graveyard.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 29, 2023