Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Orv posted:

It just seems like such a needlessly risky idea to put an emulator that is basically only known for doing things that Nintendo would happily decapitate them for, on Steam. Nintendo of all people, especially.

I guess, but it's not actually a legally gray area. It is 100% legal. Whatever fuss Nintendo makes about this is entirely outside the legal system.

imo it's bad for everyone when Nintendo forces companies to back down on things like this that are entirely above board. I hope Valve is willing to stand up to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

unruly posted:

RetroArch is on Steam, too. Which has a bunch of emulator backends. So, it's not entirely without precedent.

Oh is it? Hm that is surprising, maybe they’ll be okay.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
3DSen and RetroArch are both on Steam and both perhaps slightly less cautious about treading on the dreams of globomegacorps. Dolphin should be fine legally as long as they don't ship any of Nintendo's copyrighted code or materials... which I think means they might have to change like, three icons for the game list.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I guess, but it's not actually a legally gray area. It is 100% legal. Whatever fuss Nintendo makes about this is entirely outside the legal system.

imo it's bad for everyone when Nintendo forces companies to back down on things like this that are entirely above board. I hope Valve is willing to stand up to them.

Oh it sucks poo poo and Nintendo can absolutely gently caress off. To be absolutely clear I’m fully against Nintendo’s constant loving with fans thanks to their bizarre, twenty-years-behind understanding of what the internet is. I just also don’t have a lot of faith left in situations where this kind of thing comes up.

But yeah if it’s just the emulation itself looks like that’s been judged wholly legal since I last looked so it’s probably fine.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

There's no way the timing of this is an accident either.

We're less than 24 hours removed from the closure of the 3DS and Wii U eShop's, and as ever when it comes to the subject of game preservation, Nintendo can get to absolute gently caress.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

unruly posted:

RetroArch is on Steam, too. Which has a bunch of emulator backends. So, it's not entirely without precedent.

I think with RetroArch on Steam, you have to provide the cores manually, but just downloading from the official website, the client there gets you all of the cores for you.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RetroArch cores are available directly through Steam as DLCs

I recall the selection being limited at first (IIRC there were licensing issues?) but they're up to 60 cores on Steam now

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Anyone planning on snagging Terra Nil today? I've had it wishlisted for a while but only played the demo yesterday. Seems neat but not sure if I'll get $25 worth out of it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sab669 posted:

Anyone planning on snagging Terra Nil today? I've had it wishlisted for a while but only played the demo yesterday. Seems neat but not sure if I'll get $25 worth out of it.

Game looks really interesting, and I liked the demo. Going to wait for some reviews I think, to see how chill it is. If it get's super deep on the strategy part I'll probably pass.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Nintendo shouldn't be allowed to do anything about emulation of systems and games that they have abandoned. If they aren't printing new physical copies, and/or selling these games on a digital store front, then tough poo poo; they should be free for people to download from anywhere else and do with as they please.
I'd love to see a Copyright case where the actual damages of infringement are determined to be $0 because the original media had voluntarily been removed from sale. Unfortunately that doesn't really help due to statutory damages.

Anyways, baby steps here. My current understanding of present DMCA exemptions is that it's actually unlawful to homebrew your console for the purpose of dumping games (which itself is non-infringing to use in an emulator) even if the console is obsolete, except for the purpose of removing online DRM if the DRM servers are also down. At one time it was lawful, from 2010-2013? This is the most minute of minutiae here.

There's a hearing coming up shortly about DMCA exemptions, as they do every three years, and the ESA is going to come in with the usual arguments that the games industry loses money when people have free fun, but the VGHF and other preservationists are going to be able to come in with strong arguments that's not the case.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I should wait for reviews but as I posted yesterday I've got nothing I want to play the last few days :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FutonForensic posted:

By getting the remastered version that came out three years ago: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440440/Sam__Max_Save_the_World/

The S2 remaster came out a couple years ago too, and S3's is out this year

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

The S2 remaster came out a couple years ago too, and S3's is out this year

Where the hell is the remaster of Sam an Max Hit The Road?! :argh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

Game looks really interesting, and I liked the demo. Going to wait for some reviews I think, to see how chill it is. If it get's super deep on the strategy part I'll probably pass.

https://opencritic.com/game/14483/terra-nil

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

RandolphCarter posted:

Where the hell is the remaster of Sam an Max Hit The Road?! :argh:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Skimming comments in the review thread on Reddit the game is apparently only a few hours long :sigh:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://hard-drive.net/hd/video-gam...ble-to-play-it/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Skimming comments in the review thread on Reddit the game is apparently only a few hours long :sigh:

One man's bad news is another man's treasure, bay bee

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Is this steam deck verified :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Leal posted:

Is this steam deck verified :v:

valve approves but their lawyers advise them not to say it out loud

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-edits-steam-deck-trailer-to-remove-nintendo-switch-emulator-icon/

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sab669 posted:

The one comment I've seen that makes me hesitant is that the whole campaign can be beaten in like five hours. Then, each level has an "alternate" version that's a bit trickier and can add another 4-5 hours. And there's some replayability since the maps are procedural generated. I don't know, like you say, the $25 price tag sounds like it might be heavy for that; I'm probably going to wait for more impressions or a sale.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I don't really wanna drop $25 on a game I could finish in like 2 sittings.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No one ever buys a game over 25 bucks and ends up playing less then five hours of it
Never
Ever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I pay for the quality of the experience, not the quantity of hours. Also I buy whatever I want cause I’m rich, who cares.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I'm not gonna say I've spent more money on dumber things, but... well...

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Macichne Leainig posted:

I'm not gonna say I've spent more money on dumber things, but... well...

$25 is like what, five avatars for yourself?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

$25 is like what, five avatars for yourself?

Or three avatars and a name change. I'm only up to two avatars and a name change thankfully :thunk:

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Sab669 posted:

Yea I don't really wanna drop $25 on a game I could finish in like 2 sittings.

If you happen to have Netflix, it's free on their phone/tablet app.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

exquisite tea posted:

I pay for the quality of the experience, not the quantity of hours. Also I buy whatever I want cause I’m rich, who cares.

Different people have different standards for how much $ per hour matters to them, and that's okay and good. For me, depends not only on available cash but also how many other games I'm actively playing, how much I'm looking for something new, how hyped I was for the game to begin with, etc. It's not my main deciding thing, but it at least plays into whether I make a "buy it on launch" or "wait for a sale" decision.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i was looking through my wishlist and saw https://store.steampowered.com/app/1260590/Hadean_Tactics/ this thing and remembered we had a little autobattler fad going on a couple years ago that got completely derailed by vampire survivors-likes. kind of funny how fast that shifted.

i think the only autobattler i picked up was vivid knight which was good. did any other fun ones come out?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oof

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
is it a bad port or are the reviews more culture-war crap

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Bad port

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol, apparently someone at EA hosed up and uploaded the latest Wild Hearts patch with an exe that didn't have denuvo

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I use "The Hard N"

*Vine horn blares*

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

I've put off watching the show because I never played the original and wanted to go through the story blind now that the remake was coming to PC. Figured with the wild success of the show they wouldn't risk putting out a shoddy PC port and....welp. Guess I'll wait a few weeks to see if they fix it and just watch the show if they don't.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

kazil posted:

Bad port

People are saying it was done by Iron Galaxy.

Not the company that specializes in PC ports that Sony acquired two years ago.

???

Edit: Nixxes has a limited amount of employees, they can't do everything. But still...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Dammit Lang

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hopefully they'll hand it over to Nixxes now and they'll fix it up like it was done with Horizon Zero Dawn. IIRC that one was handed over to some other team after release who over few months managed to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol, apparently someone at EA hosed up and uploaded the latest Wild Hearts patch with an exe that didn't have denuvo

1. lol
2. Unfortunately, it’s not worth the effort to pirate anyway