Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

As far as the linked in profile thing, its really weak.

I don't think its a strong indicator, and I don't think we're ever likely to get decently credible confirmation about it.

“Our sources within the police department inform us that the shooter identified as a porpoise, and that the lack of a gender-specific pronoun there was in no way intended as sexism.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The police chief also said that based on their writings "resentment about being sent to this school" may have played a role in it being chosen as one of their targets.

It's not morally acceptable for the victim of a religious school to commit an act like this, of course. But it's understandable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mellow Seas posted:

“Our sources within the police department inform us that the shooter identified as a porpoise, and that the lack of a gender-specific pronoun there was in no way intended as sexism.”

The shooter was found to have frequented a self-described “dead gay” web forum, thus proving that they were a suicidal LGBT extremist

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I AM GRANDO posted:

Anybody recognize the symbols drawn onto those guns? I remember that nazbol shooter a few years ago did something similar. The taped-on vinyl sticker and Kirby decal on the car say we’re dealing with a pathetic nerd. That x with the circle around it looks like christian identity poo poo, but I don’t really know what I’m talking about there.
one of them is a skate clothing line
https://islandsnow.com/products/stussy-sticker-stock-5

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Back in the 90s there was a crazy theory that letting your kids skateboard would make them join a gang

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Celexi posted:

Back in the 90s there was a crazy theory that letting your kids skateboard would make them join a gang

Back in the 90s they thought letting your kids go outside and do anything would make them join a gang.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Celexi posted:

I miss the terrified wailing of the old people who insisted that skate gangs and rollerblade gangs were the next evolution of civilization's decline.

Of course all the kids who stayed inside to avoid the neon violence of the streets were then of course tricked into selling their soul to satan via dungeons and dragons.

Also the outlandish ways that AIDS would be transmitted to you were almost as entertaining as police hysterics over deadly Fent.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Yeah, like some people still think Pulse was an anti-gay attack. We should try not to form narratives until the facts are confirmed.

It was an anti-gay attack.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Back in the 90s they thought letting your kids go outside and do anything would make them join a gang.

It's true, many of these children went on to become cops

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also while it's not exclusively American, this age of renters and suburban hellscapes has definitely resulted in the idea of 'community' being pretty completely destroyed for large parts of the last few generations. I've gone on about how atomisation and disinterested parenting raised a generation of enforced shut-ins raised by the internet, but that pretty much every social activity that doesn't involve driving somewhere and spending money has been stripped away, and most places are lucky to have usable footpaths, let alone public transport- so their parents also don't have anything better to do or many viable ways to meet and interact with the people around them, and that's even if they own their home rather than renting and moving at least every few years to where the jobs are, or just so they can afford the rent.

This ties in pretty well with boomers spending their days on the couch watching TV tell them how the world outside their door is the setting of a Death Wish movie.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Just wanted to say thanks for de-escalating and providing an actual rebuttal. I still don’t agree but this post actually gave me some things to chew over unlike the video you posted. Cheers

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
At least 39 people died in a fire at a migrant detention facility in Ciudad Juárez. That’s the Mexican side of the El Paso border crossing. Haven’t seen yet if they were deported from the US or were waiting for a chance to cross or have an asylum case heard, but either way, seems like even more casualties of US immigration policy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Jaxyon posted:

It was an anti-gay attack.

I think he is referring to the fact that the investigation and trial subsequently introduced evidence that he picked the club at random.

- He originally was looking at Disneyworld.
- The night of the shooting, he googled "downtown Orlando nightclubs" and started driving towards a different club that was the #1 result.
- Then, he waited outside that club for a while before driving away because there was too much security.
- He googled "downtown Orlando nightclubs" again and went to Pulse, which was the #2 result.

quote:

What really happened that night at Pulse

The attack on the nightclub has long been seen as a hate crime directed at the LGBTQ community. But all evidence says the gunman chose it at random.

quote:

But during the trial of Omar Mateen’s widow, Noor Salman, all forensic evidence suggested that up until the moment he turned into the Pulse parking lot, Mateen had been considering other venues, rejecting them because they were more heavily guarded. In their closing statement, government prosecutors admitted that there was no evidence to suggest that Mateen knew that Pulse was a gay club.

quote:

The case leaned heavily on forensic cellphone evidence and security camera footage.

On the night of June 11, 2016, Omar Mateen googled and visited Disney Springs, a popular Orlando outdoor shopping and recreation area. Then, just after midnight, he googled “Disney World,” and his cellphone placed him near towers around Epcot, another Disney-owned theme park, according to The Orlando Sentinel. But it wasn’t until he was near Epcot that Mateen googled “downtown Orlando nightclubs,” which delivered Eve Orlando and Pulse as top results. Mateen then drove to Eve, where he stayed for six minutes before driving away. Eve Orlando, in a busy downtown nightclub district, is in an area with heavy police presence, Swift said.

After 1 a.m. on June 12, the night of the attack, Mateen performed one final Google search for “downtown Orlando nightclubs” and began to drive to Pulse. He hesitated, turned back toward Eve, then turned around again and headed back to Pulse. “Finally, around 2 a.m., Mateen fired the first shots in the Pulse nightclub,” a motion filed by the defense read. There was no cellular evidence that he had ever been there before that night.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/what-really-happened-night-pulse-n882571

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I think he is referring to the fact that the investigation and trial subsequently introduced evidence that he picked the club at random.

- He originally was looking at Disneyworld.
- The night of the shooting, he googled "downtown Orlando nightclubs" and started driving towards a different club that was the #1 result.
- Then, he waited outside that club for a while before driving away because there was too much security.
- He googled "downtown Orlando nightclubs" again and went to Pulse, which was the #2 result.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/what-really-happened-night-pulse-n882571

There was an On The Media episode about this several years back. Reminded me of David Cullen's book Columbine.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/otm/segments/correcting-record-pulse-massacre

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1640428641762054144

In other bad news, Chevron's private prosecution of environmental/human rights lawyer Steve Donzinger has been allowed to stand. Only Gorsuch and Kavanaugh dissented. This is really disappointing and kind of scary for the future of activism.

Quick background:

quote:

Donziger was asked by Frente de Defensa de la Amazonía (FDA) to help win compensation for the pollution and health effects caused by oil drilling in the Lago Agrio oil field, a region that became known as the "Amazon Chernobyl".[17] He visited Ecuador in 1993, where he says he saw "what honestly looked like an apocalyptic disaster," including children walking barefoot down oil-covered roads and jungle lakes filled with oil.[12] In 1993, after he visited Ecuador, Donziger and other attorneys brought a class-action lawsuit in New York against Texaco on behalf of over 30,000 farmers and Indigenous people from the Amazon region. Since the plaintiffs had no money, Donziger, with FDA support, funded the case by selling shares to investors, offering a small part of any eventual settlement.[17] The lawyers chose to file in New York because at the time Texaco's headquarters were in New York. The lawsuit charged that Texaco's oil drilling in the Amazon had resulted in massive contamination. Chevron bought Texaco in 2001 and argued that Texaco had cleaned up its area of operations and that its partner, Petroecuador, was responsible for any remaining pollution.[12][19][16] Chevron requested that the case be tried in Ecuador and, in 2002, the US court dismissed the plaintiffs case based on forum non conveniens and ruled that Ecuador had jurisdiction. The US court exacted a promise from Chevron that it would accept the decision of the Ecuadorian courts.[21][22]

When the case moved to Ecuador, Donziger conducted a public relations campaign to inform Ecuadoreans about the pollution of the Amazon. He said that "the indigenous people would never get a fair trial in Ecuador if they did not illuminate what had happened to them and get public support". Donziger appeared in the 2009 documentary film Crude which explored a two-year period in the case.[16][12] A provincial Ecuadorean court found Chevron guilty in 2011 and awarded the plaintiffs $18 billion in damages. The decision was affirmed by three appellate courts including Ecuador's highest court, the National Court of Justice, although the damages were reduced to $9.5 billion.[21][19][16]

To avoid paying the damages awarded by the court in Ecuador, Chevron moved its assets out of the country,[19] leading the plaintiffs to seek enforcement actions in Canada, Brazil, and Argentina for confiscation of Chevron's assets.[12]

quote:

In 2011, Chevron filed a civil RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) suit against Donziger in New York City, accusing him of bribing an Ecuadorean judge, ghostwriting the damages judgment against it, and "fixing" scientific studies.[32][19][23] Chevron's civil suit initially sought $60 billion in damages which would have required a trial by jury. Chevron removed the request for damages two weeks prior to trial, allowing the case to be tried by judge alone. Chevron stated that it wanted to focus "the RICO case on obtaining injunctive relief against the furtherance of Donziger's extortionate scheme against the company". US District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan was assigned as the judge.[19]

quote:

The case relied in large part on the testimony of Alberto Guerra, a former Ecuadorean judge whom Chevron had moved to the United States from Ecuador in 2013 for safety reasons. Chevron paid for immigration lawyers for Guerra and his family and provided him with a monthly salary of $12,000 for housing and living expenses.
:ironicat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Donziger

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 28, 2023

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Gorsuch continuing to have an interesting streak of pro-Indigenous rights votes, though.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

PT6A posted:

It's not morally acceptable for the victim of a religious school to commit an act like this, of course. But it's understandable.

Murdering innocent kids is really not understandable

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Judgy Fucker posted:

Gorsuch continuing to have an interesting streak of pro-Indigenous rights votes, though.
Yeah, he's somehow one of the least-worst judges at this point, which is really something.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

cat botherer posted:

https://twitter.com/SDonziger/status/1640428641762054144

In other bad news, Chevron's private prosecution of environmental/human rights lawyer Steve Donzinger has been allowed to stand. Only Gorsuch and Kavanaugh dissented. This is really disappointing and kind of scary for the future of activism.

Wait, so...two Trump judges, one of which is :kav: dissented. That should mean it was struck down, because surely the three liberals didn't approve this, and 3+2 is 5 and thus a majority.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Murdering innocent kids is really not understandable

O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, blessed is he who repays you as you have done to us. Blessed is he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Byzantine posted:

O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction, blessed is he who repays you as you have done to us. Blessed is he who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks.

Can you be clear about what you are trying to say?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I AM GRANDO posted:

Anybody recognize the symbols drawn onto those guns? I remember that nazbol shooter a few years ago did something similar. The taped-on vinyl sticker and Kirby decal on the car say we’re dealing with a pathetic nerd. That x with the circle around it looks like christian identity poo poo, but I don’t really know what I’m talking about there.

They look like badly painted sun crosses. They're Norse pagan symbols that are used by Nazis and occasionally some non-nazi pagans.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Wait, so...two Trump judges, one of which is :kav: dissented. That should mean it was struck down, because surely the three liberals didn't approve this, and 3+2 is 5 and thus a majority.

The problem with liberal judges is that they're LIBERAL judges and not leftist justices.

Fart Amplifier posted:

Just some old fashioned Christian forgiveness from the holy Bible.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

PT6A posted:

What a vile take.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Young Freud posted:

The problem with liberal judges is that they're LIBERAL judges and not leftist justices.

If we use the broad/european style/whatever definition of liberal, then Kavanaugh and Gorsuch are also liberals. That implies that liberal justices can come on either side of this issue.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Byzantine posted:

I'm not sure what argument you are making here.

Byzantine posted:

They didn't take the case or rule on the merits of his original contempt charge. This was a ruling on whether the appeals court had read the law so incorrectly that it needed Supreme Court review and not a ruling on the merits of the case.

Deciding to grant cert isn't really a ruling on the facts of the case. Most major cases get 7-9 votes for cert, but end up 5-4 or 6-3 decisions.

The request was for a writ of cert to argue that the appeals court acted inappropriately and not a direct appeal of his RICO case result. Donziger admits he did the things that resulted in the contempt charge, but he was arguing that it should be thrown out because the judge appointed the prosecutors from private practice. But, the appeals court ruled that the law has said it was fine to do that as long as they were supervised by the USDA. The only part he was challenging was the appointment of prosecutors by the Judge.

quote:

The New York-based 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last year concluded that U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan possessed the authority to appoint the prosecutors, who nonetheless remained subject to supervision by the U.S. attorney general.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Fart Amplifier posted:

I think what they're saying is that, as Christianity is the vehicle by which the bad people validate their intense hatred and civil/social/literal destruction of us (in this case we're the Jews, I guess), it's understandable (or good) that the manner of vengeance perpetrated against them is having their children murdered.

Old Testament God was pretty happy when people did genocides on people he didn't like.

But it's entirely possible that I'm missing another reading from the story about killing Persian children being good because their ancestors occupied Jerusalem.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
It's interesting to watch a fledging machine try to take its first steps in real time:
https://twitter.com/jpcoolican/status/1640704378255319041

Over the past few years, Minneapolis has seen a legion of political operatives team with the Minneapolis Police Department, the police union, and the (rarely disclosed) tv journalist wife of the alleged white supremacist biker gang member who until recently ran the police union to influence local politics and lineup behind Boy Mayor Jacob Frey.

Highlights include the police punishing political opponents including delaying and denying service to constituents of councilmembers who opposed budget increases, telling crime victims to ask their councilmember why the police response took too long, sending false and misleading anonymous emails about the criminal histories of opponents to Frey endorsees after voting began, and (hilariously) Frey's campaign manager running a sockpuppet farm in the comment sections of a local paper. This comes on the back of the police slowdown to allow Frey to defeat the incumbent mayor to gain power in the first place. Public record requests show that Minneapolis Police, at the highest levels, coordinated with another local political operative to boost his tale of victimhood in public meetings and local publications-- only it turns out to have happened to his ex and not him, to have occurred in an entirely different city, and rather than the white knuckle home invasion he described, an ajar door with no record of anything stolen. This same machine was the money and staffing behind child drowning enabler Don Samuels' challenge to Omar for congress (Samuels apparently found the death of the six year old entrusted to his care hilarious, tweeting "can't swim but can govern" to local DFLers discussing the child's death)

There was slight hope that when the aforementioned endorsee's defunct charity was used to commit the Feeding Our Future pandemic scam by a number of indicted mayoral appointees that the money spigot had dried up and their attempted coup of the council and mayorship had failed.

The link above demonstrates that the effort, if not the capability, remains:

quote:

The Minneapolis DFL Executive Committee voted unanimously Monday night not to accept 358 out of 514 delegate signups for council candidate Victor Martinez in Ward 5 because a campaign volunteer signed them all up using the same IP address, and was unable to validate them with paper signup forms, saying they’d been thrown out.

Questions have arisen about other wards, too.

Victor Martinez, an Assembly of God pastor who opposes abortion rights and was endorsed by the Minneapolis police union, seemed like an unlikely choice for the heavily DFL Ward 5 in north Minneapolis. But he was just four votes shy of getting the endorsement two years ago, and this time around he signed up an unusually high number of delegates: 514.

The ward’s progressive City Council Member Jeremiah Ellison won the endorsement in 2017 with far fewer delegates, 143.

Martinez said in a statement that the precinct location for about 200 delegates was accidentally entered incorrectly into the DFL database, and now the executive committee is going to disenfranchise those people — mostly people of color, recent immigrants and low-income people — from the endorsing process.

This was a bit of a pattern for certain candidates, it turns out, but the executive committee only had direct power to undo this particular fraud:

quote:

The party saw “very similar” anomalies in Wards 5, 6 and 10, according to a DFL source with knowledge of the situation who asked to remain anonymous because they were not authorized to speak to the media: “It seems like there was a strategy to exploit some of the weakness in the caucus process.”

A newcomer who announced a day before the deadline signed up more delegates than City Council Member Aisha Chughtai in Ward 10.

In Ward 6, Tiger Worku signed up the most delegates, while incumbent Jamal Osman finished third. Another candidate in the Ward 6 race, Kayseh Magan, a former investigator with the Attorney General’s Office, said he noticed over 180 delegates listed emails through an email service called Proton. All but two were delegates for Worku. Magan said he contacted some of the delegates, and none of them said they use that email provider.

Some of the caucuses were done digitally this year, others in person. So rather than go to a school to sign up, for example, in these wards people signed up on paper to be a delegate. Magan said many people didn’t sign the form; some people’s phone numbers were crossed out (he suspects to make it more difficult for other candidates to reach them); and some delegates’ names were misspelled. So he began contacting the delegates, and he said some told him they didn’t sign up to be a delegate for Worku.
Eagleeyed readers may note that Osman has fallen out of the machine's favor, whether due to radioactivity from Feeding Our Future or due to publicly rejecting the endorsement of Operation Safety Now, the machine's notoriously astroturfed public-police partnership advocate.

We'll end with a charming bit of elder abuse atop the straight fraud:

quote:

On Monday, Magan took the Reformer to a senior apartment building where nearly two dozen Worku delegates live — even though a different address was listed on their delegate forms. Some of their names were misspelled on the signup forms and email addresses. Two said they didn’t sign any form and the rest couldn’t remember who they agreed to be a delegate for. One resident, Gerald Lattery, said he remembers seeing Worku in the lobby of the building and said he’d consider voting for him but never agreed to be a delegate. In fact, he’s a staunch conservative Republican.

“I’ve never been associated with the Democratic Party,” Lattery told the Reformer.

The reason I bothered to effortpost this Keystoneish local story is that this pattern can be seen in mid/large city elections nationwide, anywhere that the machine doesn't already exist (what up, Chicago?). LASD's public integrity unit terrorizing city officials who have the gall to demand oversight, SFPD's hamstringing of Boudin (most laughably forcing Boudin to rent a UHaul to conduct a residential burglary ring bust), the attempts to take down Larry in Philly, etc.

It's always worth looking deeper at the police and their preferred candidates in your city!

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 28, 2023

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Just some old fashioned Christian forgiveness from the holy Bible.

Isn't this a forum where you should be specific about what you're trying to say instead of posting weird vague takes for whatever reason?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

PT6A posted:

No, no it is most certainly not and that's ridiculous especially since they were murdering random people including children who had nothing to do with their issues.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

The court can appointment a qualified attorney as prosecutor on a case if the attorney general declines to enforce a court finding. The whole thing is weird, but established as a thing the courts can do. While this guy got caught in a capitalist hit job, the more likely outcome is politicians and the politically connected otherwise dodging contempt charges because the US attorneys office doesn't want to get involved(be that because of stochastic terror threats or a political hack at the helm). Judges have a lot of powers to make things happen.

It's just normal for judges to silently agree with the US attorney that the case is meritless. Doing this instead risks a judicial misconduct case (especially given the strange 3 year legal limbo and bench criminal proceeding), which would be a more appropriate avenue for recourse on misconduct, followed by merit appeals on both the initial case and punitive action.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dailybeast has a writeup on the disciplinary measures, threats and coercion the NY Times is using against employees that tried to push back against their TERF agenda: https://www.thedailybeast.com/ny-times-fires-off-warning-to-staffers-after-trans-coverage-brouhaha

quote:

The New York Times has left no stone unturned in its quest to crack down on staffers who signed an open letter last month criticizing the paper’s trans coverage.

After weeks of hauling staffers who signed it into meetings with high-level editors Carolyn Ryan and Marc Lacey—meetings described to Confider as intimidating “tongue-lashing” sessions—management sent written warnings to around 20 staffers, accusing them of conspiring against the paper and endangering their co-workers.

“Your colleagues whose work was criticized in the letter, some by name, have carried out their work in a fair-minded, sensitive, and journalistically sound fashion,” Ryan and Lacey wrote in the letters sent earlier this month, according to a copy obtained and reviewed by Confider. “They have endured attacks and threats as a result of the letter. By signing, you have not only amplified that campaign but endorsed it, too. That is harmful to them personally and to our reputation for providing quality, independent journalism.”

The warning memos, which were put on March 9 into each employee’s personnel file, came after hundreds of Times staffers and contributors claimed in their open letter that the paper “treated gender diversity with an eerily familiar mix of pseudoscience and euphemistic, charged language.” The open letter was a point of contention within the staff union itself, as dozens of reporters signed a separate letter lashing their colleagues’ “fundamental misunderstanding of our responsibilities as journalists.”

In its letter earlier this month, management further warned staffers that should they engage in anything similar in the future, they could be subject to further punishment. “This letter serves as a reminder of the expectations for your conduct generally, as well as under company policies and guidelines,” read the note from Ryan and Lacey.

The stark warning has rankled some Times staffers, who have floated new responses including filing an official grievance through the Times Guild or, eventually, departing the Times altogether. Such a drastic measure, should it occur, could result in a “queer brain drain” at the paper, one staffer told Confider.

Another point of frustration among staffers has been management’s urging for “internal discussion and debate” in their letter despite there having been multiple past attempts to raise concerns about the Times’ trans coverage through internal means prior to the public open letter. Confider previously reported on such efforts, including an ultimately fruitless October 2021 meeting involving Ryan and then-executive editor Dean Baquet.

Other staffers questioned to Confider why those who signed the trans coverage letter have been subject to such scrutiny while those who publicly denounced Sen. Tom Cotton’s infamous June 2020 op-ed calling for troops to quell riots walked away without discipline.

Reps for the Times and the NewsGuild both declined to comment.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ershalim posted:

I think what they're saying is that, as Christianity is the vehicle by which the bad people validate their intense hatred and civil/social/literal destruction of us (in this case we're the Jews, I guess), it's understandable (or good) that the manner of vengeance perpetrated against them is having their children murdered.

Old Testament God was pretty happy when people did genocides on people he didn't like.

But it's entirely possible that I'm missing another reading from the story about killing Persian children being good because their ancestors occupied Jerusalem.

I certainly hope that this is incorrect because it would be absolutely sociopathic to say that about this.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Kalli posted:

Dailybeast has a writeup on the disciplinary measures, threats and coercion the NY Times is using against employees that tried to push back against their TERF agenda: https://www.thedailybeast.com/ny-times-fires-off-warning-to-staffers-after-trans-coverage-brouhaha
Such a weird hill for the NYT to die on. It's damaging to their reputation and obviously causing severe morale problems. What's the motivation? Do these articles get that many more clicks, or is it actually some kind of direct animus against trans people beyond indifference? I guess this sort of thing is historically on-brand, but still.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

cat botherer posted:

Such a weird hill for the NYT to die on. It's damaging to their reputation and obviously causing severe morale problems. What's the motivation? Do these articles get that many more clicks, or is it actually some kind of direct animus against trans people beyond indifference? I guess this sort of thing is historically on-brand, but still.

Historically on-brand and also the One Weird Trick they can use to establish a both-sides beach-head in the culture war now that Roe v Wade is dead.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Whelp!

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1640747078941908994

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I know this was from the last page, but

I AM GRANDO posted:

The taped-on vinyl sticker and Kirby decal on the car say we’re dealing with a pathetic nerd.

As always, let’s wait for a bit more info to come out. Of course don’t trust what the cops say without a bucket of salt in front of you, but maybe let’s not start theorycrafting as well.

But my main point is - I will not let this Kirby slander stand! Kirby is adorable and the games are fun. Are you really still saying “games are for pathetic nerds” in 2023? Or is it just games you don’t like/didn’t play?
Tl;Dr - don’t jump to conclusions, and maybe play a Kirby game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It really sucks that we have a whole bunch of amendments that say “your right to vote cannot be denied on account of ______” but we never bothered to pass “your right to vote cannot be denied, period”

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

But my main point is - I will not let this Kirby slander stand! Kirby is adorable and the games are fun. Are you really still saying “games are for pathetic nerds” in 2023? Or is it just games you don’t like/didn’t play?
Tl;Dr - don’t jump to conclusions, and maybe play a Kirby game.

Relax, nobody is saying Kirby games make you a school shooter

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

cat botherer posted:

I subscribed to them for a hot minute a few years back and this is very on-brand. Their writers are offensively out-of-touch rich liberals, living in an offensively out-of-touch rich liberal bubble in NYC. I live in the metro area downstate but canceled my sub after about 2 weeks because I'd see an article that pissed me off almost daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Even worse is that he didn't, in fact, announce it; he just stopped doing it and didn't say anything until some reporters demanded to know what was going on, which is very on-brand for him. Unfortunately, restoration of rights to those convicted of felonies is an entirely discretionary authority of the governor, so this is the flip side of McAuliffe and Northam being able to set the bar at "do your time and (optionally) fill out this form."