Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

So you're telling me a technology Youtuber ends up naked enough on camera for his team to have a go-to editor for when the boss is nude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I have seen most of my (male) coworkers and bosses naked NBD

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How big do you think Linus'' dick is?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sorbus posted:

I have seen most of my (male) coworkers and bosses naked NBD

Of course, that's part of the job at the dick sucking factory

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

To get off Linus' dick, here's Steve raging about motherboard pricing in search of an error code display. A feature I've not thought about in 20 years of PC building. This one feels a bit more like Steve raging about aesthetics than any actual point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Error code displays are extremely helpful when you actually run into a problem with CPU or RAM compatibility, because the only other ways to show that info are beeps or flashes (or nothing at all)

I think I paid more like $250-300 for my last mobo that had one, though

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

njsykora posted:

To get off Linus' dick, here's Steve raging about motherboard pricing in search of an error code display. A feature I've not thought about in 20 years of PC building. This one feels a bit more like Steve raging about aesthetics than any actual point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEjH775UeNg

Steve has a very clear point and he reiterates it a lot: it's a useful, basic tool for fixing problems with a system, it costs $1.50, and he has been repeatedly told by motherboard designers that the only way sales/marketing teams at motherboard manufacturers will agree to include one going forward on lower priced boards is if there's public outcry. so he admits he's using his position as a member of the media to agitate and hopefully start a push for people to demand error code displays on most/all motherboards going forward for DIY.

that's a pretty standard steve/gamersnexus stance. it's a "rant" because it's relatively unstructured but he definitely has a point and imo a valid one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

while we're at it, can we please get manufacturers to stop gatekeeping GPU quick release latches and easy m.2 latches behind $300+ price points? They're extremely simple plastic mechanisms that cost pennies to make.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

while we're at it, can we please get manufacturers to stop gatekeeping GPU quick release latches and easy m.2 latches behind $300+ price points? They're extremely simple plastic mechanisms that cost pennies to make.

If I pay more than $300 can I get a GPU latch that I don't have to use a chopstick to release from 12" away?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i literally remove my cpu heatsink and repaste it when i'm removing my gpu from now on. i'm not sure the release latch has gotten worse over time, but it's never not a terrible experience to try to hit it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like obviously I don't have to do it all that often but whenever I do it's a memorable situation because it'd be easy for a screwdriver or chopstick to slip and damage the motherboard.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i got MSIs cheapest Z690 board and it came with m.2 latches at least

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

If I pay more than $300 can I get a GPU latch that I don't have to use a chopstick to release from 12" away?

they just extend the latch out a bit and connect it to a button you can press:

asus' cheapest x670 motherboard with this feature is $350. Though they have a couple B650 boards with it at around $300. gigabyte's cheapest boards don't have the button, but the latch on those has a little extended bit that is slightly easier to push. you have to pay $500 for the x670e aorus master to get the full convenience of a sensibly-placed button from them

meanwhile, asrock and msi have yet to discover the technology of longer levers, so none of their boards have this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dang that's actually a pretty sharp-looking motherboard aside from "<---<---- REFINEMENT"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hate those pcie release levers so much. Always such a bitch to get at.

Could we also make heatsinks that don’t have razor sharp edges too? I scraped my hand pretty good on a noctua the other day. I get that it’s better for heat dissipation but come on if I am trying to fit my mitts in a mATX case it’s hard to not get sliced up.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
the other day, i was aligning and straightening out the fins on my d15, i can't even begin to imagine all the times and ways i've bumped into it over the years trying to do basic stuff

really hope arctic make a non-ugly waterblock cooler so i can make the switch and manage the inside of my computer instead of this nonsense

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Mobo engineers: "We need someone with clout to say people want useful debug features!"

Tech Jesus: "People should want useful debug features!"

The People:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Dang that's actually a pretty sharp-looking motherboard

kliras posted:

really hope arctic make a non-ugly waterblock cooler

lmao give up Steve

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ok here’s a compromise: use the addressable RGB headers for the debug info.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

If your motherboard lights up purple, there is a ram error

If it lights up lavender, that’s a CPU error

If it lights up mauve, that’s a general motherboard error

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought of it entirely as a joke but I’m actually starting to think it’s not a bad idea

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A lot already do something like that with a single or row of simple LEDs. Basic displays are much more useful.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought of it entirely as a joke but I’m actually starting to think it’s not a bad idea
It is, though.

Seven segment displays cost almost nothing.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They cost board space.

But yeah, I agree in general.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Full RGB spectrum error codes but you need to use the motherboard manufacturer app to find out what it is.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Having to read a loving addressable RGB in order to decode an error sounds like reading loving tea leaves in terms of how much room there is for interpretation.

Error codes on a seven segment display don't leave any ambiguity.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Someone posted in the comments that you can apparently get them off the TPM header, but it requires some stupid brand specific card you've gotta run the AliExpress gauntlet to acquire.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Error codes over bluetooth, but you have to install the app from an apk because it got removed from the store from some reason.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What error is cerise?

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
Just have mobos come with a secondary SoC built in that gives it enough to output to video and display error codes and troubleshooting steps.

Or better yet have the mono tether to a separate IoT device that talks back the error code but also allows you to ask about the weather.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Smart Motherboard with cloud error reporting technology, create a free account at smart-mobo.cn

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

rgb flashing the error code in Morse code

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I plug a PC speaker into my motherboard so it beeps at me like it's 1995

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I plug a PC speaker into my motherboard so it beeps at me like it's 1995

i honestly tried to buy one but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price when i built this system

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

hobbesmaster posted:

The lpc/spi/tpm header exposes the port 80h debug codes.

3rd party cards exist for it, der8auer made one a while back.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

i honestly tried to buy one but couldn't find one for sale at a reasonable price when i built this system

I thought a PC speaker was just a little speaker connected to those two pins on the front panel cluster? Surely there are little speakers you can get from AliExpress or some shop in Pacific Mall.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I thought a PC speaker was just a little speaker connected to those two pins on the front panel cluster? Surely there are little speakers you can get from AliExpress or some shop in Pacific Mall.

Yeah, I have a small pile of beepers that came with old motherboards I never used. They're like pennies.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I seem to remember a motherboard where the speaker would play a voice that would tell you what was wrong. The next step is siri integration.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

priznat posted:

I hate those pcie release levers so much. Always such a bitch to get at.

Could we also make heatsinks that don’t have razor sharp edges too? I scraped my hand pretty good on a noctua the other day. I get that it’s better for heat dissipation but come on if I am trying to fit my mitts in a mATX case it’s hard to not get sliced up.

Look everyone knows that a computer needs a blood sacrifice to properly boot up, the heat sinks that slice you open a bit are a feature

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Blurb3947 posted:

Just have mobos come with a secondary SoC built in that gives it enough to output to video and display error codes and troubleshooting steps.

Or better yet have the mono tether to a separate IoT device that talks back the error code but also allows you to ask about the weather.
Yeah this is called IPMI and it's common enterprise feature. My workstation MB has this, and 7 segment info is found in it:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's out-of-band management - usually via a baseboard management controller, which is most commonly a MIPS/ARM/RISC-V CPU running at a few hundred MHz with some variant of Linux or an RTOS running on it.

IPMI is a specific implementation that allows a common way for baseboard management controllers to be addressed - either via a driver in the OS, via serial over LAN, or via ssh.
It can be, and is, implemented by various vendors such as Intel (via AMT/vPro), HPE (via iLO), Dell (via iDRAC), Supermicro (via Intelligent Management), and others, using either their own chips or one supplied by ASPEED.

There is a third-party out-of-band management solution called pikvm, which can be used for any arbitrary system that has a video and USB, and it also supports IPMI (if enabled).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

It's out-of-band management - usually via a baseboard management controller, which is most commonly a MIPS/ARM/RISC-V CPU running at a few hundred MHz with some variant of Linux or an RTOS running on it.

IPMI is a specific implementation that allows a common way for baseboard management controllers to be addressed - either via a driver in the OS, via serial over LAN, or via ssh.
It can be, and is, implemented by various vendors such as Intel (via AMT/vPro), HPE (via iLO), Dell (via iDRAC), Supermicro (via Intelligent Management), and others, using either their own chips or one supplied by ASPEED.

There is a third-party out-of-band management solution called pikvm, which can be used for any arbitrary system that has a video and USB, and it also supports IPMI (if enabled).
Yeah, BMC is more accurate term, however, most vendors use IPMI as the term in the prosumer/gamerz space.

Asrock and Asus have their own solution as add-in card too, that only works with specific platforms and boards,
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=PAUL#Specifications
https://www.techpowerup.com/291767/asus-outs-ipmi-expansion-card-to-give-your-workstation-remote-management-capabilities

Support for these is bad at best.