Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

She occasionally creeps on her 16 y-o student/tenant (if this is the atelier I’m thinking of), kinda sours the comedy

That sucks and I think I've already experienced a "small" instance of that already. Enjoying most of the rest of the cast tho. I've played some of the later games but not much besides like an hour of Totori of the Arland series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It sucks whenever that character is on screen, but still, rorona is one of my fave jrpgs, it’s breezy and warm, and the gameplay is active enough to be consistently engaging. So, idk why I brought it up unprompted

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Caphi posted:

This sort of thing is why Battle Network 2 was formative in me wanting to localize (after Battle Network itself was formative in me wanting to program). The touch ups are so deft. "Speaking of chow, where's Chaud?" is a line I still think about regularly.

Wait do people pronounce it like that? I thought it was Sho, cause "Chaud" is just French for hot.
They straight up called the kid "Hot Fire".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Astrid is a huge piece of poo poo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i like how in the games his name is eugene chaud but in the anime dub for some reason they changed it to chaud blaze?? and also added a u to mayl's name

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also I know I'm hamstringing people from talking about Soul Nomad because I haven't beaten it yet. I made some decent progress last week. After getting past the first Shauna fight and a weird bug that crashes the game if you try to see the cutscene afterwards, I'm on like, map 20 or 21 now. It's the city of Thursis(sp?) on the bandit battle and currently in the story there's an Aging Redflank that keeps following you around.

I found this website and it's helping me keep track of possible combo moves and stuff.
https://akurasu.net/wiki/Soul_Cradle

I feel like I should be upgrading teams but I'm not sure how to put them together; Levin's got a team of two swordsman and another bareknuckle with a wolf for an atk buff and Vitali. I'm mostly relying on knights for damage, I don't know if I should use any of those monsters even though the hydrones nearly kicked my rear end when I ran into them. I feel like I should be using the bards or gypsies for stat boosts more often because it sure was effective on me. Oh and also not seeing the point in using Gig Edicts on people in towns until endgame when the stat boosts get that big.

Still have no idea where the story's going, We're in our mid 10's for levels and I don't know how we're gonna close the gap between that and a 1000 World Eater before this is all over.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 27, 2023

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Anyone got any good first person dungeon crawler recommendations? I picked up Galleria and it was going ok but the end game sounds bad and the now game of character building is a complex mess. The game is also not cool about it's child characters. If it helps, the last one of these I really liked was Dungeon Travelers 2 (up until it was also not cool about it's child character either). Preferably on ps4/5. PC or Switch also fine.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Anyone got any good first person dungeon crawler recommendations? I picked up Galleria and it was going ok but the end game sounds bad and the now game of character building is a complex mess. The game is also not cool about it's child characters. If it helps, the last one of these I really liked was Dungeon Travelers 2 (up until it was also not cool about it's child character either). Preferably on ps4/5. PC or Switch also fine.

I've been disappointed with most dungeon crawlers I've played lately but I did like Infinite Adventures.

The Elminage games are OK but they conform really tightly to the Wizardry formula, more than I liked.

Keep an eye on Labyrinth.os, it's in-development and I really liked the demo.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 27, 2023

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Potato Flowers in Full Bloom. First person dungeon crawler stripped down to the bare essentials.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Jay Rust posted:

It sucks whenever that character is on screen, but still, rorona is one of my fave jrpgs, it’s breezy and warm, and the gameplay is active enough to be consistently engaging. So, idk why I brought it up unprompted

It's definitely something you have to push past. It's bad in the beginning when it seems like Rorona's safety net is being purposefully yanked out from under her as her parents leave her in the care of a sexual predator. It's like a horror movie premise. Rorona was my first Atelier and I had no idea what to expect

Astrid's behavior is unacceptable, but it never goes beyond what you'd see in some of the worst Persona game S-Links

In general Atelier is actually really good at cute and wholesome relationships. It rarely goes official, even in a given character's ending (probably for shipping / fanfic reasons), but you're also given a ton of good and sensible choices. Astrid is really the only swing and miss

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpDogs posted:

It's definitely something you have to push past. It's bad in the beginning when it seems like Rorona's safety net is being purposefully yanked out from under her as her parents leave her in the care of a sexual predator. It's like a horror movie premise. Rorona was my first Atelier and I had no idea what to expect

Astrid's behavior is unacceptable, but it never goes beyond what you'd see in some of the worst Persona game S-Links

In general Atelier is actually really good at cute and wholesome relationships. It rarely goes official, even in a given character's ending (probably for shipping / fanfic reasons), but you're also given a ton of good and sensible choices. Astrid is really the only swing and miss

I would say it goes *much* worse in one of the sequels

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no i had to read the word wholesome, gah! gah!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad totori and mimi are gay married, thank you atelier video game series

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Best couple in the series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

She occasionally creeps on her 16 y-o student/tenant (if this is the atelier I’m thinking of), kinda sours the comedy
Shes fine in rorona honestly, she just calls rorona cute. It seems more like teasing than anything. Its meruru that makes her creepy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That said she is off the top of my head the worst thing in any of the Rorona and onward games. I might be forgetting someone but pretty much every game is insanely chill. Like Ryza has some incredibly horny designs but even then they're just the design and not actually an aspect of the character.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

If you haven't played Legend of Grimrock 2 yet I'd play Legend of Grimrock 2.

I'd say my next suggestion after that might be Starcrawlers? I know some of the Etrian games are coming to PC, but we'll have to see the quality of the ports because they're certainly not coming cheaply...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

my impression is that the Arland games awkwardly jammed that stuff in as one of Gust's several plays to try to expand the series' audience, but they backed off pretty hard after more or less nobody liked where parts of Meruru got to.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

im glad totori and mimi are gay married, thank you atelier video game series

They (and Sophie and Plachta) really need to give Ryza some get-the-its-so-blatant-I-cant-call-it-hint counseling...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

my impression is that the Arland games awkwardly jammed that stuff in as one of Gust's several plays to try to expand the series' audience, but they backed off pretty hard after more or less nobody liked where parts of Meruru got to.
the arland games had some awkward moments like that yeah. i dont really care about ryza, noted 20 year old, having tiny shorts, but stuff like the random side dude in totori whos creepy about hot springs was weird. like the need to make it a whole extended awkward bit rarely worked out.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

oh no i had to read the word wholesome, gah! gah!

my word of power: comfy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

twee

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"casual"

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
arland is epic because cordelia is in it, peak tsundere gay rich girl who puts the easiest requests on the board because she doesnt think rorona can color inside the lines. but then arland is fail when lulua happens and cordelia isnt there to be her other mom and make sure rorona does her taxes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

arland is epic because cordelia is in it, peak tsundere gay rich girl who puts the easiest requests on the board because she doesnt think rorona can color inside the lines. but then arland is fail when lulua happens and cordelia isnt there to be her other mom and make sure rorona does her taxes
a lot of the arland side characters really got screwed over, cory gets shunted to the side really hard and tantris died on the way back to his homeplanet

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

astrid being a weird sex pest sucks because i really did like a lot of the other aspects of her character. she could be funny when she wasn't just being a creep but that's what they decided to focus on

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Still waiting for the translation team to explain why they named a character STD

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

She also has a great design.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Meruru was the Arland game I enjoyed playing the most but the Astrid stuff in it was almost enough to sink the experience.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
filly was cool

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Rorona Plus's endgame making Astrid a hireable adventurer for 10k a trip when everyone else charges like 30 cole is one of the funniest bits in the entire series

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Failboattootoot posted:

Undernauts is probably the best Experience game (a studio that used to make licensed Wizardry titles in Japan and now makes not-quite-Wizardry titles). You're employees of a mining company that explores dungeons for valuable resources in 1970s Japan. Very atmospheric, good exploration, not punishingly difficult. And if you end up liking it, you'll probably enjoy at least some of the studio's other stuff too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

In addition to Undernauts (which was good fun) Operencia. Go play Operencia

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/StellaNoxEclair/status/1640438197795553281

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

holy poo poo

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Am I...near the end of Soul Hackers 2? I am at like just over 18 hours but I feel like the game is wrapping up, far quicker than their SMT and Persona counterparts.

For reference, I am in the second part of the 24th Ward Municipal Tower

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Artelier posted:

Am I...near the end of Soul Hackers 2? I am at like just over 18 hours but I feel like the game is wrapping up, far quicker than their SMT and Persona counterparts.

For reference, I am in the second part of the 24th Ward Municipal Tower

I'm not where you're at, but I've had that feeling for a lot of this game so far. I'm currently just after Kuzunoha gets eaten but for at least one dungeon now I've been going "we stopped introducing new people a while ago and I've killed a lot of them..." at nine hours.

I feel like if you just blitzed or skipped the labyrinth this game could be done under 30 as a loose guess with the speed of the plot.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know chained echoes comes up here a bit, but I'm finally looking at it on the Playstation store. I think I'd probably like it, how is the story though?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's mostly good, definitely a hodge podge of fantasy and anime ideas but told competently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It also occasionally just drops a bit of world building that genuinely cool out of nowhere.

Like the 7 True Kings of nature one of which is an owl who is the moon and attacks anything that flies too high and that's why airships have altitude limiters and also why all the dragons are dead..