Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Does Beato ask him why he feels the need to wear a silly wig in APC?

His stated reason is that he sees Tool as masculine and APC as feminine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's insane, is really because Billy is also bald and he thought'd be a bad look to have two white guys with shaved heads.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

massive spider posted:

His stated reason is that he sees Tool as masculine and APC as feminine.

Fuckin whut

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
My stupid music poo poo is that I found a picture of me 13 years ago playing guitar and I realized I wasn't wearing earplugs, so I used it in a slide on a seminar presentation about treatments for hearing loss

and another thing, I used a DAW to make some spectrograms of human speech because I couldn't find diagrams I liked, so I made my own. Thanks VSTs, I don't know what I would do without you

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I want earplugs that notch out human speech because I’m tired of hearing everyone’s bullshit.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

I want earplugs that notch out human speech because I’m tired of hearing everyone’s bullshit.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just take the ones that highlight human speech and wear them backwards duh.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

so, uh, any tips for removing maple syrup from electronics, or should I just nail it to the wall like everything else that dies down here?

I figured there was a 50/50 shot none of the gear that comes into the sugarhouse leaves in working condition, that's why this is a mackie mix5 and not my zed10fx

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

so, uh, any tips for removing maple syrup from electronics, or should I just nail it to the wall like everything else that dies down here?

I figured there was a 50/50 shot none of the gear that comes into the sugarhouse leaves in working condition, that's why this is a mackie mix5 and not my zed10fx

Put a popsicle stick in it, pack some snow around it, and stand it up in the snow outside your sugar shack as a warning to other mixers that might dare to trespass?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Sweet mix bro

what the gently caress????????

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

could you put it outside and let ants eat it off?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Lot going on with this thumbnail:

Just reminding me to listen to that first V.A.S.T record again.

Thank you.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Sweet mix bro

what the gently caress????????

The sugar house rocks! concert series is going as expected, that's all

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The sugar house rocks! concert series is going as expected, that's all

So is this Quebec or one of the surrounding provinces?

Sorry I’m a Westerner so I only know about this when head office sends around maple stuff with a “woooo Sugar Season!” Message.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I went to a sugar shack in Quebec once. Rolled up frozen maple syrup on a popsicle stick. Went on a hay bale tractor ride through the forest. Then we went inside and watched an old guy make a little wooden puppet dance to accordion music.

Just utterly depraved poo poo.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I was conceived in a cabanne à sucre

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

So is this Quebec or one of the surrounding provinces?

Sorry I’m a Westerner so I only know about this when head office sends around maple stuff with a “woooo Sugar Season!” Message.

Vermont

We're like southern quebec

PeakAutism
Mar 26, 2023

by Fritz the Horse
loving cleft pallet tune on the equalizer today

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Waves just went to a pure subscription model for their plugins. Let's see how their customers are taking the news!

https://mobile.twitter.com/WavesAudioLtd/status/1640045183235391488

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

OutOfPrint posted:

Waves just went to a pure subscription model for their plugins. Let's see how their customers are taking the news!

https://mobile.twitter.com/WavesAudioLtd/status/1640045183235391488

Can't wait until new tube amps start including kill switches that activate if you don't connect them to your PC via bluetooth at least once a week to verify that your Tube Net™ Subscription is still up to date.

It will be fine though, the benefits of the subscription will be that you get constant updates to the security of the onboard Tube Net™ software!

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

Can't wait until new tube amps start including kill switches that activate if you don't connect them to your PC via bluetooth at least once a week to verify that your Tube Net™ Subscription is still up to date.

It will be fine though, the benefits of the subscription will be that you get constant updates to the security of the onboard Tube Net™ software!

Roland is going door to door and installing Arcade coin slots on all the Katana’s.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

PeakAutism posted:

loving cleft pallet tune on the equalizer today

what

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

TheMightyBoops posted:

Roland is going door to door and installing Arcade coin slots on all the Katana’s.

This feels appropriate to share, on that note: https://twitter.com/MusicalChaotic/status/1638244933621411845

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

OutOfPrint posted:

Just stop using DAWs, easy

They're killing music anyway

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
A DAW is fine imo, it's just a way to get sound to a recorded medium. I don't use a tonne of plugins tho. Maybe I should just buy a hardware compressor, it's pretty much the only thing I use on (nearly) everything besides EQ. I also love my lovely budget Lexicon rack reverb. Use that everywhere lol

But anyway, I don't think DAWs are killing music, but the plugin pedantry is pretty wild and hilarious at this point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

i kinda wish i knew how to use daws at all apart from opening one and then immediately getting overwhelmed because it feels like you have to craft every single note and I don't even really know how to do that

all the recording I've ever done has been in cooledit pro and adobe audition by actively cutting, manipulating, and mixing recorded wav files recorded through the mixer plugged into the line in on the sound card - i don't understand interfaces or any of it

i have no idea how people record from a midi keyboard and every time I try to research it, i get too intimidated to do anything

i actually have a pretty good keyboard, but I basically only use it to try and make synth noise every so often (which i do with a software synth in windows that I can't record because every time I've ever tried to do virtual audio cable poo poo, it doesn't work

also i can't learn from videos and that's what everything is now

W424
Oct 21, 2010

hexwren posted:

also i can't learn from videos and that's what everything is now

Lol, the first thing I thought seeing that dumb "daws are killing music" post was:

DAWs aren't killing music, youtube tutorials are.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Everyone is looking for "that one secret" that will make their music amazing, when they should be learning fundamental skills and applying and learning with a variety of things. But nah, 90% of YouTube for this stuff is "HOW TO MAKE YOUR DRUMS THE BEST" and it is just not helpful.

Also DAWs have a big drawback where because you can save, undo, etc, people are always tempted to "fix it in the mix". The song/project should feel largely done after recording and panning/volume, nothing else, in my opinion. Drastic EQs and comps and effects won't fix the track if it's fundamentally flawed. Get the input right first.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Yeah, daws are killing music in the same way as electric amplification killed music. Just classic reactionary stuff, real music is played with real instruments I tell you hwat. See also: rap and hip-hop.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I do a lot of sample poo poo and daws are amazing for that. Pulling a wav of some old commercial into pieces and making tunez with it.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

syntaxfunction posted:

Also DAWs have a big drawback where because you can save, undo, etc, people are always tempted to "fix it in the mix". The song/project should feel largely done after recording and panning/volume, nothing else, in my opinion. Drastic EQs and comps and effects won't fix the track if it's fundamentally flawed. Get the input right first.

Despite owning 5 different amp sim VSTs, 100% of the time I run direct through AxeFX, printing all my amps/effects in one go. Even with a lot of electronic music, I’m recording synth output as my main, with MIDI as a backup.

I’ve tried DI, done reamping, but there’s something inherently unstable about trying to shape tones after the fact. Everything is a lot more finicky, making one tweak on the amp sim will invariably require larger mix changes. I find myself a lot less happy with the end result, as I’ve had to spend a lot more time “rotating” tones into place instead of picking one base tone and building everything else around that.

Like as a concept infinite tweakability is great, but I’ve never found it to work as expected in practice.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

syntaxfunction posted:

Everyone is looking for "that one secret" that will make their music amazing, when they should be learning fundamental skills and applying and learning with a variety of things. But nah, 90% of YouTube for this stuff is "HOW TO MAKE YOUR DRUMS THE BEST" and it is just not helpful.

This is good advice. Scratch tracks are fine, but you really want things recorded as close to the way you want them to sound at the end. That said, I find myself using scratch tracks and practice takes in the final mix all the time so make sure you keep that stuff as a take- sometimes there's just mojo there. I also always print both a clean DI and the scratch track tone I used.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, if you have the easy means to record both your DI and what you're listening to when you cut it, there can be a value there. What you're hearing when you record is going to impact your playing and the vibe or mojo or whatever, and it's a good idea to build the track around that if you want the guitars to be center stage. That said, sometimes you want a little heavily limited clean channel mixed in with the fuzz to give it some clarity and you don't notice that until you're mixing.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, if you have the easy means to record both your DI and what you're listening to when you cut it, there can be a value there. What you're hearing when you record is going to impact your playing and the vibe or mojo or whatever, and it's a good idea to build the track around that if you want the guitars to be center stage. That said, sometimes you want a little heavily limited clean channel mixed in with the fuzz to give it some clarity and you don't notice that until you're mixing.

I tend to record using plugins which prints a dry track when you do so. I then copy the DI onto a new track and bounce the original take with the plugin as it was when I tracked. If I'm tracking with a real amp I'll split the signal with an A/B box, but honestly I only ever do that anymore if there's some super critical interaction between the guitar and the amp like some controlled feedback or something. Most of the time if I want a real amp I'll still track normally with a plugin, and then Re-Amp using the reamp out that is built into my interface.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So here's a guy from Nashville named Jim Lill. He makes youtube videos in an attempt to address whatever random guitar myths are on his mind at the time. He's done "guitar tonewood doesn't matter" videos, and "what specifically is it about amps and cabs that is most responsible for the tone" videos, etc. His latest video is this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8GiF-GVLgg

The basic premise is this:
"All of your favorite guitar tones on record have one thing in common, every one of them have been recorded with microphones. These mics, along with their placement, are hugely influential to your overall sound. When you are setting up your sound, don't forget about everything that happens after your speaker cab. If you neglect that part, you're ultimately never going to be able to account for, and therefore be in control of, what the listener hears. Basically, the way your cab sounds 'in the room' doesn't matter at all in that sense."

And holy poo poo has this video made all the major guitar forums explode. It's been hilarious to watch.

edit: Personally, I haven't agreed with every conclusion of Jim's, but on this issue in particular, I think he hits the nail on the head.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 28, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the videos where he built a tele on a workbench to disprove tonewood and the one where he made an amp out of a toolbox full of pedals duplicating the eqs of other amps and got very close to their sounds were hilarious. i love the idea of challenging guitar orthodoxy like he has.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Southern Cassowary posted:

the videos where he built a tele on a workbench to disprove tonewood and the one where he made an amp out of a toolbox full of pedals duplicating the eqs of other amps and got very close to their sounds were hilarious. i love the idea of challenging guitar orthodoxy like he has.

An interesting thing about Jim Lill’s amp EQ matching “tacklebox” is that the guy who started Fractal Audio commented on it, saying that although current digital modeling methods are much more advanced now, that’s basically how the first generation of amp modeling was done, it’s just that Jim built out that methodology manually.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 28, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

GreatGreen posted:

The basic premise is this:
"All of your favorite guitar tones on record have one thing in common, every one of them have been recorded with microphones. These mics, along with their placement, are hugely influential to your overall sound. When you are setting up your sound, don't forget about everything that happens after your speaker cab. If you neglect that part, you're ultimately never going to be able to account for, and therefore be in control of, what the listener hears. Basically, the way your cab sounds 'in the room' doesn't matter at all in that sense."

And holy poo poo has this video made all the major guitar forums explode. It's been hilarious to watch.

Jesus I've never mic'd a cab before but that makes perfect sense to me. Hell if I ever do I fully expect to place the mic wrong and make the guitar sound like poo poo the first time. Is it the daw/plugin types who are melting down over this on other forums?

It's not far off from how photography filters and the location you shoot from can change the feel of a scene you're capturing.

izagoof
Feb 14, 2004

Grimey Drawer
can’t imagine daw guys would be mad at it because the prevailing wisdom there has been for a while that the IR is the most overall important thing. People still obsess over the models for like, dynamics and sensitivity but a good IR can make an OG pod sound good

edit: have to qualify that last sentence with “in the right circumstances”. I haven’t had a pod in forever so I might be off base there. I can still get pretty decent sounds out of guitar rig 5 at least!

izagoof fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Turbinosamente posted:

Jesus I've never mic'd a cab before but that makes perfect sense to me. Hell if I ever do I fully expect to place the mic wrong and make the guitar sound like poo poo the first time. Is it the daw/plugin types who are melting down over this on other forums?

It's not far off from how photography filters and the location you shoot from can change the feel of a scene you're capturing.

The meltdowns are all from people who haven't watched the actual video cause Jim hosed up in his clickbait title and wrote "roomtone doesn't matter" which means something completely different to "your guitar tone in the room you are recording in will not translate 1:1 to capture".