Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Sentinel Red posted:

Ah, Spaced. How has it been so long already? Mike’s yawning Chewie impression at the end of the Empire homage episode is still so delightful.

Spaced was so, so, so loving good. Goddamn.

"BABYLON 5'S A BIG PILE OF SHIIIIIT!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jerusalem posted:

Spaced was so, so, so loving good. Goddamn.

"BABYLON 5'S A BIG PILE OF SHIIIIIT!"

"HAWK THE SLAYER'S RUBBISH!"

Also, the Resident Evil ep. And the paintball ep. And Darth Maul Duane Benzie later swearing revenge.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The episode where they go clubbing and their mate the courier cyclist walks out in triumph then comes coughing back out of the smoke machine as The A-Team theme plays is loving magical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txh3O66hzBo

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I forgot about Spaced. Loved that show

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The great thing about Spaced is that it's not finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enNPX_dljPk

Oh :smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What was that rad-looking 1970s-esque adult animated HBO Max show, and has it been shelved? It looked very cool and I would like to get stoned and watch it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also, X-Files is getting "re-mounted" by Ryan Coogler with a new cast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

came to post this, holy poo poo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

:eyepop:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-Files was kind of a show of its moment, I don't know what it looks like in 2023 when the conspiracies aren't aliens and fluke men but liberal cannibal pedophile elites.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Every episode they not only debunk the myth of the week, they trace it's racist lineage back to its historical source.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

zoux posted:

X-Files was kind of a show of its moment, I don't know what it looks like in 2023 when the conspiracies aren't aliens and fluke men but liberal cannibal pedophile elites.

Yeah, nothing about this sounds good tbh. Maybe with someone more interesting at the helm, but the visionaries behind such stuff as Creed and Black Panther? Eh.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Creeds and the first Black Panther movie were good though, but yeah that doesn't really translate into something like X-Files

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Coogler is an immense talent, I'm not doubting his ability, just that anyone could make a show following the old show's formula that takes place in the 2020s. Maybe it'll just be Fringe but called X-Files.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First Creed was surprisingly fun, second was pretty awful and it sounds like the third is worse. Original BP was fine and I’m glad it existed for the kids, but I don’t recall anyone saying anything positive about the sequel. But crucially none of those films makes me think ‘this dude should dig X-Files out of its grave’.

E: I see he didn’t write or direct Creed II at least. I would personally put that top of my resume if I was him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Modern day Mulder thinks Tylenol causes autism and COVID-19 is fake

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://twitter.com/athleisure_monk/status/738618427909111808?lang=en

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

X-Files can only work today if they jettison any pretense of having a metaplot and just focused on monster of the week episodes. Conspiracy theory crap isn't as interesting/harmless as it once was.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Even the later seasons and revival were really flat and forgettable. X-files itself seemed to get so bored and tired with the overarching conspiracy plotline that they literally just abandoned it at one point because the aliens saw the earth and humans sucked so much rear end it's not worth trying to take over. On rewatching I just skip non-motw episodes because I know the conspiracy ultimately goes loving nowhere.

X-files also only worked in the days when the internet was not yet a household utility everyone uses, it worked because even contacting eachother with early cell phones provided plenty of room for disconnects and tension and mysteries you'd just solve with your phone. S files worked because Mulder just knows errant mysterious cryptids and poo poo because that's his whole thing he picks it up and seeks it out where others aren't going to bother. Today you can just Google whatever thing and find a billion perspectives and examinations and explanations of whatever. X files worked in the gaps, it worked with wilder conspiracies that weren't easily proven or disproven.

The wild conspiracy theories today aren't fun, are easily disproven and why they persist comes down to politics they aren't going to make the x files be about. The less wild conspiracies are all pretty straight forward mingling of capitalists, power, and governments, something else I don't think will be a good thesis for x files.

There are some modern myths and crap and Evil has played with them, but I'd say probably 99% of that realm of material is just gonna be readapting "creepypastas." Creepy pasta doesn't generally hit at all for me, too corny and clowny and intentional.

Edit: just realized I might not have seen season 11. I also barely recall Mulder having a kid who shows up

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2023

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

zoux posted:

It's not like the original show felt obligated to do Vince Foster Clinton conspiracy stuff which was already big at the time. UFOs are having another moment along with weird horror / backrooms stuff. Really the risk is greater that they'll be too late to catch the wave.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 28, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

feedmyleg posted:

What was that rad-looking 1970s-esque adult animated HBO Max show, and has it been shelved? It looked very cool and I would like to get stoned and watch it.

I'd guess Midnight Gospel, but that was Netflix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nope, in trying to describe it better, I googled "Moebius HBO Max" and it came up. This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CADHf3kPnjA

Looks like there's nothing out there about it getting canceled, so I guess it's still set for 2023.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bull3964 posted:

X-Files can only work today if they jettison any pretense of having a metaplot and just focused on monster of the week episodes. Conspiracy theory crap isn't as interesting/harmless as it once was.

It never was, the more they went into it the bigger drag it became. Just give me the weird poo poo of the week cases and spare us all the alien invasion and dudes whispering in poorly lit rooms horseshit.

“Look, Scully! The corpse has been feasted upon by jaws unlike anything in the zoological record!”
“Those are platypus bites, Mulder, anyone with an even halfway mediocre education could tell that.”
“..in Kansas????”
*a giant platypus man with a tiny head bursts through the wall, Kool Aid style, while Scully looks the other way, winks at the camera and legs it off screen*

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

X-files is :sueme: culture and I will not be taking arguments. :colbert:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Full blown monster of the week x files would be exciting. Plus maybe they got pairing Mulder and Scully out of their system

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
They should hire Adam Scott and Craig Robinson to star.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

They should hire Adam Scott and Craig Robinson to star.

:yeshaha:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds were both renewed.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

And yet again, I get "Lower Decks" and "Below Deck" confused!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

muscles like this! posted:

Lower Decks and Strange New Worlds were both renewed.

Like for another season after the one that is already coming up right?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

feedmyleg posted:

They should hire Adam Scott and Craig Robinson Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles to star.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1640802271087964160

:getin:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Add me to the skeptics, but this also sounds so much better than the previous announcement of an X-Files continuation, when it was going to be an adult comedy cartoon.

Read After Burning posted:

And yet again, I get "Lower Decks" and "Below Deck" confused!

I hate reality shows, but my fiancée recently began watching Below Deck, and much as I hate to admit it, I got sucked in and it’s now a go-to bit of background TV. I really like Captain Lee and Chief Stew Kate!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

swickles posted:

Like for another season after the one that is already coming up right?

Yup, Season 3 and 5 respectively. Both have Season 2 and 4 yet to air.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I'm about to rummage to fruition.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Yup, Season 3 and 5 respectively. Both have Season 2 and 4 yet to air.

mmm that is sweet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

Add me to the skeptics, but this also sounds so much better than the previous announcement of an X-Files continuation, when it was going to be an adult comedy cartoon.

Lol what? Kinda reminds me of the men in black cartoon, which was for kids, but a little gross and grimy for when it aired and imo is a little more interesting overall than some of the movies.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Lol what? Kinda reminds me of the men in black cartoon, which was for kids, but a little gross and grimy for when it aired and imo is a little more interesting overall than some of the movies.

I had these Burger King toys! :stare: I had the "worm guy" thing, the spinner thing on the planet, and the split-dude.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gotta love a toy where you can yank stuff out it's guts lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

https://deadline.com/2020/08/fox-the-x-files-animated-comedy-spin-off-1203026132

quote:

Fox is developing The X-Files: Albuquerque from Rocky Russo and Jeremy Sosenko, writers on Netflix’s animated comedy Paradise PD and Comedy Central’s Brickleberry.

The new iteration is an animated series about an office full of misfit agents who investigate the X-Files cases too wacky, ridiculous or downright dopey for Mulder and Scully to bother with. They’re basically the X-Files’ B-team.

The show comes from 20th Television and Fox Entertainment with Bento Box as the animation studio. The network has committed to a scrip and presentation with The X-Files creator Chris Carter and Gabe Rotter on board to exec produce.

That was the August 2020 announcement and it doesn’t seem like any other news came since. I haven’t seen Paradise PD or Brickleberry but I can imagine this being pretty dire and the sort of cartoon that Fox would commission in the early 2010s and then cancel after four episodes.