Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

grassy gnoll posted:

Isn't Settra a stormcast now, or some other ridiculous nonsense? I know Gelt is something like Balthasariusmar Siggelt, Chuckie Francis is probably Celestant Prime, and I think they spilled the beans on somebody else, too.

There's a reference in one book to a Stormcast named Settrus, who is implied to be Settra. The same author later did a story where Mannfred comes face to face with Settrus, is briefly terrified when he hears the name, and then is like 'oh, you're just fake, if you were real I'd already be dead' and kills the guy. The implication is Sigmar just named a guy that to freak old foes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Eediot Jedi posted:

Settra was better sorry. :shrug:

Settra and Nagash were very different.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mors Rattus posted:

There's a reference in one book to a Stormcast named Settrus, who is implied to be Settra. The same author later did a story where Mannfred comes face to face with Settrus, is briefly terrified when he hears the name, and then is like 'oh, you're just fake, if you were real I'd already be dead' and kills the guy. The implication is Sigmar just named a guy that to freak old foes out.

Sigmar doing the "pigs 1, 2, and 4" gag just to gently caress with Mannfred definitely ratchets up my respect for the guy.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

I notice Nagash has six skulls on his belt and six spinal cords on his back. Any significance to that? Were they previous kings he overthrew like Anasurimborian decapitants?

What on earth are those? Google tells me nothing.

Edit: I mean "Anasurimborian decapitates" although I have no idea about the nagash thing either.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

grassy gnoll posted:

Isn't Settra a stormcast now, or some other ridiculous nonsense? I know Gelt is something like Balthasariusmar Siggelt, Chuckie Francis is probably Celestant Prime, and I think they spilled the beans on somebody else, too.

All I remember is that in 1.0 Settra had some rule where if you were playing him and you bent your knees, you lost

You could kick your opponent in the dick in AoS 1.0 and win the game

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Business Gorillas posted:

All I remember is that in 1.0 Settra had some rule where if you were playing him and you bent your knees, you lost

You could kick your opponent in the dick in AoS 1.0 and win the game

Shame that didn't work in Warmachine, our local Cryx player could have used it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Feeple posted:

As someone who really didn't pay much attention to lore until about a year ago, I can definitely understand why players where either optimistically apprehensive, or outright pissed at the worst. Part of GW's strategy is to try and get you invested in lore and hobby so you are susceptible to Sunk Cost Fallacy regarding the game. The End Times would have been a punch in the crotch to anyone invested in the outcomes of about half their factions and heroes, and even those that survived weren't always promised a good time, either.

Something also (sometimes intentionally) ignored by the people saying "I don't see the end times being that big of a deal" is this.

If you were playing the same Fantasy army for 10-20 years, only to have your favorite nation/clan/bloodline/tribe get murked off screen for the skaven/dark elf/glottkin plot device, that was a big blow. Then when AOS started, there was a huge gap in the power level and the release schedule of new stuff vs fantasy stuff. Finally, the gradual squatting of 80% of the fantasy range, either by no longer supporting the units or by making the fantasy versions useless compared to the new AOS stuff.

There's a lot of good that AOS eventually brought to the game (skirmish and objective gameplay making movement shenanigans obsolete, more affordable armies, constant balance tweaking/new releases/model refreshes, breaking up bigger armybooks to create more narratively cohesive factions etc), but all of this stuff could have been done without nuking the setting and everyone's armies.

I think it's p telling that almost everyone who is saying "I don't think them nuking fantasy was a big deal" self-admittedly didn't play the game back then itt

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
The setting had to be nuked for SEO and copywrite you see.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

War and Pieces posted:

The setting had to be nuked for SEO and copywrite you see.

Broke: Elves
Woke: Aelves
Bespoke: Orrucks

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If I'm looking for stuff in the GW web store, is there a difference between "Temporarily Out of Stock Online", and " No Longer Available Online?" I'm looking for Gravelords stuff, so I'm wondering if stuff got pulled for new packaging, since there's a new book coming out in the next few weeks.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The former means it's going to get restocked at some point, the latter means it's slated for a reboxing, or possibly removal in some cases.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

In this case, I don't think stuff like Lady Annika and Radukar are going away. Grave Guard and Wight King though, *may* be a different story, but the one that really concerns me is the Terrorgeist/Zombie Dragon/Prince Vordrai kit since that's the only thing from the line that I don't own.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Newer stuff is very unlike to disappear. The Terrogeist is a webstore exclusive so there is a possibility it might but I don't think they're going to squat it for the new tome.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I think I should probably just pick one up anyway. I mean, I need on in my army, right? RIGHT????

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EdsTeioh posted:

In this case, I don't think stuff like Lady Annika and Radukar are going away. Grave Guard and Wight King though, *may* be a different story, but the one that really concerns me is the Terrorgeist/Zombie Dragon/Prince Vordrai kit since that's the only thing from the line that I don't own.

It's in the Flesheater Courts start collecting box which is still readily available and about $10 more than the Terrorgeist itself on Amazon.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's in the Flesheater Courts start collecting box which is still readily available and about $10 more than the Terrorgeist itself on Amazon.

I almost bought that box this weekend, but at this point I think I'll just wait for the new book to come out and see what's good. I'll almost certainly want a vampire lord on a zombie dragon at some point anyway though just because they're cool.

I'm really curious about what the new book is going to look like. I hope they make Black Knights not trash.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’d love to see more support for skeletons as an archetype in general, currently there’s not a ton of reason to use them except for Legion of Blood a bit.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Settra does and always will indeed rule. He was definitely my guy in the end times. I adored Bretonnians but I didn't have any love for any of the named characters really. Dropping them as a faction at the height of the Game of Thrones zeitgeist was shocking to me at the time. I was sure it would breathe new life into them.

My third warhammer fantasy love, goblins, are still going strong at least. Better than I hoped for even.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mors Rattus posted:

I’d love to see more support for skeletons as an archetype in general, currently there’s not a ton of reason to use them except for Legion of Blood a bit.

Bring zombies back to their terrifying level from 5th.

I played a slow growth league back with nothing but zombies, a Wight to lead them and a necromancer to summon more. Anytime the army expanded just piled in more zombies. Never won a round of combat but eventually broke and ate any unit they tried to tar pit it with.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Bring zombies back to their terrifying level from 5th.

I played a slow growth league back with nothing but zombies, a Wight to lead them and a necromancer to summon more. Anytime the army expanded just piled in more zombies. Never won a round of combat but eventually broke and ate any unit they tried to tar pit it with.

Zombies are already incredibly good tarpits, they really outclass skeletons on a points efficiency and general effectiveness level in the current setup.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh that's right and it comes with 3 Vargheists too which are surprisingly good in my SBGL army. It's a shame for me to end up with MORE ghouls that I'll never do anything with, though.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Ghouls count as Genestealers

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Miles O'Brian posted:

Settra does and always will indeed rule. He was definitely my guy in the end times. I adored Bretonnians but I didn't have any love for any of the named characters really. Dropping them as a faction at the height of the Game of Thrones zeitgeist was shocking to me at the time. I was sure it would breathe new life into them.

My third warhammer fantasy love, goblins, are still going strong at least. Better than I hoped for even.

Boy do I have great news for you!!

Warhammer: TOW will maybe? have a beginner box with Tomb Kings AND Bretonnians! I actually remember almost buying into TK right before AoS 1.0 dropped… boy howdy am I glad I waited for the new edition

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Don't think they've ever breathed a word what the game is going to have at release so it's a bit too early to say that it might possibly have a Tomb Knights vs Bretonnia box.
Especially when the central focus isn't even on those two outlying factions and the Empire having a case of three emperors all wanting to rule.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Why would a TOW launch box have two of the most rare factions of Fantasy? I mean, they are not even among the top played factions in Total War: Warhammer :confused:

And well, HH's box had space Marines on both sides...

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I assume because those are the two factions whose bits they've shown off so far and that's what spawns rumors.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Probably yeah, but I feel they've also been clear that they're not really the stars of the setting and just something people have been clamouring for.
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say the TOW release won't happen until the Dawnbringer Crusade has been released and out in full so they can offer square based versions of the same kits. Feels like they were designed to be used in both games with the very Reikland-ish iconography and any discrepancies can be waved away with "They don't look like current era Empire troops because the game is set in its past".

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

All roads lead to Khemri

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Talas posted:

Why would a TOW launch box have two of the most rare factions of Fantasy? I mean, they are not even among the top played factions in Total War: Warhammer :confused:

And well, HH's box had space Marines on both sides...

Because the two factions are going to be plot relevant to the new timeline. The TOW lore posts already established that Settra himself will be leading an expedition into The Old World proper and that the Brets will be among the first to try and repel the rattling hordes.

Also, it just makes sense for them to be the first to get new TOW-related lines because they were the two factions that were completely squatted by AoS. Even Empire is getting new models thanks to CoS, albeit with a thus far disappointing lack of puffy doublets and feathered caps.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

We have seen exactly three models of the new Dawnbringer crusade line. :v:

Which, to be fair, is more what we've seen of TOW.

Also people also forget that one of the first reveals was that Kislev was also going to get models for the game.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

War and Pieces posted:

Ghouls count as Genestealers

ACTUALLY I guess I could counts as zombies with them. I've already got like 60 of them laying around that I've never used.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Genghis Cohen posted:

What on earth are those? Google tells me nothing.

Edit: I mean "Anasurimborian decapitates" although I have no idea about the nagash thing either.

Oh sorry Google Anasurimbor Kellhus. A character from a series of fantasy novels. He has two demon heads on his belt, the decapitants, who talk to him later in the series. I thought maybe the heads on Nagash belt had some story significance.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So, new books go up for pre-order this coming weekend, or next? I'm guessing next weekend, with release the week of the 15th.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Nothing AoS related on this saturday's pre-orders, so we'll see about next week on the 2nd.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Funzo posted:

So, new books go up for pre-order this coming weekend, or next? I'm guessing next weekend, with release the week of the 15th.

We had Khorne and Slaanesh go up last week. Next week could be vamps and ossiarchs, but we won't know until Sunday.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

There's an article about the Ossiarch Bonereapers on Warhammer Community that says that book goes up for pre-order next week, so hopefully the Gravelords book goes up at the same time.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Will probably be the last as they did with Khorne and Slaanesh. It's a minor book update so I figure they just pair those off together.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I just want to use Discipline Points for normal stuff like Rally or All-Out Attack... or maybe use many DPs on one unit, playing the faction now feels really really constricted.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

Oh sorry Google Anasurimbor Kellhus. A character from a series of fantasy novels. He has two demon heads on his belt, the decapitants, who talk to him later in the series. I thought maybe the heads on Nagash belt had some story significance.

Gotcha, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

Will probably be the last as they did with Khorne and Slaanesh. It's a minor book update so I figure they just pair those off together.

https://twitter.com/warhammer/status/1641426700104790017?t=omFQdXihdOZwQbOPwxaCrA&s=19