Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

The first Battle has been spoiled:

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/124pdpx/mom_invasion_of_zendikar/

A little meh, but it's an uncommon. Maybe the rares/mythics will have flashier effects that'll make them worth playing in EDH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If the Siege subtype indicates that there are multiple kinds of battles with different objectives, that could be interesting.

As is, Invasion of Zendikar is at least a little interesting for EDH in that you could politic by choosing an opponent who opts not to defend at all, if they want you to get the benefit of a victory, assuming it works like it appears to me, which is that it's a separate attack target, like a planeswalker.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
What incentive does another player have to attack it? The way it's worded, it sounds like you as the owner get to cast whatever the transform side of the card is.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Framboise posted:

What incentive does another player have to attack it? The way it's worded, it sounds like you as the owner get to cast whatever the transform side of the card is.

Yeah. It would give the other players more incentive to help if whoever won the Battle got to cast the backside.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Would there be a way to sacrifice or otherwise remove the Battle someone cast on you or chose you to defend with cards we already have? I can't think of a specific card off the top but anything that just specified permanent or no land permanent should be able to interact.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

Would there be a way to sacrifice or otherwise remove the Battle someone cast on you or chose you to defend with cards we already have? I can't think of a specific card off the top but anything that just specified permanent or no land permanent should be able to interact.

Anything that says "destroy/exile target permanent" or bounces it, etc, should still work.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Yeah. It would give the other players more incentive to help if whoever won the Battle got to cast the backside.

I'm kind of picturing a card that works kinda like a curse effect that negatively impacts all opponents and incentivizes them to kill it, but when they do kill it, you still get whatever the transform side is.

Example:

Battle of Attrition 2R

Battle - Siege

At the beginning of each player's upkeep, Battle of Attrition deals damage to that player that does not own Battle of Attrition that is equal to the number of kill counters on Battle of Attrition.

At the beginning of each end step, Battle of Attrition deals 1 damage to a creature that attacked this turn with the lowest toughness. (In the case of a tie, its owner may choose which receives the damage.)

When a creature dealt damage by Battle of Attrition this turn dies, Battle of Attrition gains a kill counter.

5 "life" or whatever you want to call it.

Transform side:

Triumphant Charge

Enchantment

Creatures you control have +X/+X and trample, where X is equal to the number of kill counters Battle of Attrition had prior to it being destroyed.

At the end of your next end step, sacrifice Triumphant Charge.

Opponents will be incentivized to kill it or else they will be worn down very quickly, and to keep you from getting a gigantic payoff attack on your next turn.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 28, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Khanstant posted:

It's a totally new card type, so it only interacts with cards that say "permanent".

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Can't wait for these to use counters and for R&D to have forgotten Vampire Hexmage exists. (This is more of a concern for 60-card, heads up formats)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know that guy! He hides in my library if I have depths out or chills in my hand if depths is in the library.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
its just gonna be something mid like "when you battle, scry 2 and draw 1"

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

https://youtu.be/RkdKJ0EDD1k

Posting this because it has the usual hints at what’s in the precons for MOM. One of the biggest pieces of news is that there’s a new card with Eminence.

Gavin is such a fuckin dork

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

"Hey, there's a card that has the same keyword three times!"

Oh boy. Another Cascade, Cascade, Cascade.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Toxic 1 Toxic 1 Toxic 1

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's gonna be proliferate, proliferate, proliferate.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Framboise posted:

It's gonna be proliferate, proliferate, proliferate.

Proliferate isn't itself an ability so maybe not? idk

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Three different wards.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Proliferate isn't itself an ability so maybe not? idk

Did it say keyword or ability? I'm confused.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Kicker (B), Kicker (U), Kicker (G)

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.

Technowolf posted:

Kicker (B), Kicker (U), Kicker (G)

Certainly this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

WerrWaaa posted:

Three different wards.

game already handles complex wards. Don't need multiple ones.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Triple horsemanship

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Eminence ability was spoiled in a Forbes article 'Whenever one or more Knights you control attack, draw a card then Discard a card.'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtissilver/2023/03/29/mtg-march-of-the-machine-expansion-previews-new-cards-and-mechanics/

Also has the other 4 face commanders.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Eminence ability was spoiled in a Forbes article 'Whenever one or more Knights you control attack, draw a card then Discard a card.'

https://www.forbes.com/sites/curtissilver/2023/03/29/mtg-march-of-the-machine-expansion-previews-new-cards-and-mechanics/

I'm a sucker for creature theme decks, so this might be the thing that gets me to build Knights.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It also spoiled a few more Battle cards. Looks like Invasion of New Phyrexia isn't a creature on the backside.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Face commanders as the Forbes article was pulled for being early:

A Jeskai convoke commander when I always thought of the ability as a Selesnya / Abzan thing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Marked as unconfirmed, but it looks like you only need to deal X damage to the Battle (instead of attack/hit it X times). And it is tracked with counters.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

AngryBooch posted:

Face commanders as the Forbes article was pulled for being early:

A Jeskai convoke commander when I always thought of the ability as a Selesnya / Abzan thing.

Hey, always glad to see Mirage legends getting some love.

Wait, what the gently caress? You "transform" a token? How does that even work? I guess there's no reason you can't flip a token over in the real world, but I don't know if the rules support that right now. That seems like a weird thing when it could just "become a 0/0 creature" or something.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I feel like every one of those commanders is not fun enough to justify all that loving text.

Subjective and all that but where's the wow factor?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Magnetic North posted:

Hey, always glad to see Mirage legends getting some love.

Wait, what the gently caress? You "transform" a token? How does that even work? I guess there's no reason you can't flip a token over in the real world, but I don't know if the rules support that right now. That seems like a weird thing when it could just "become a 0/0 creature" or something.

The tokens are two sided

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I feel like every one of those commanders is not fun enough to justify all that loving text.

Eminence is always much stronger than it appears, judging by the previous four times. Looting on attack in Esper is much stronger than it appears, from personal experience setting up reanimator plays with it. Sidar Jabari's value is that you never have to bother with him directly and Dauntless Bodyguard can do all the hard work of discarding Razaketh.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

The tokens are two sided

So then there must be some generic transform synergy in there or there's no way they would bother with that complication, right? Or going the other way, the rules text of explaining it the usual way was too long so they brought it into the transform mechanic to shorten it, similar to Oubliette and phasing.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Sidar Jabari is solid due to the value generated without even needing to be cast. Never underestimate how easy Eminence is to get value out of.

Kasla's boring. Convoke is a fine mechanic but there's not a whole lot to build around there to be worth the effort unless this set has a huge convoke theme with good payoffs.

Bright-Palm could be fun with some setup, especially with some flicker shenanigans, haste enablers, and counter boosters (Tempered Scales, Pir, etc)

Gimbal is... interesting, but it feels criminal that you can't use any of the white/red-white synergies possible with the deck, especially the stuff we got from Strixhaven. Shoulda been Jeskai or Mardu if it HAD to be 3 colors.

Brimaz is okay. Making an army of proliferating Phyrexians seems fun but a lot of work for the payoff.

Sidar Jabari and Bright-Palm are the ones I'm most interested in. I'll wait for the decklists but I may get one of those.

Magnetic North posted:

So then there must be some generic transform synergy in there or there's no way they would bother with that complication, right? Or going the other way, the rules text of explaining it the usual way was too long so they brought it into the transform mechanic to shorten it, similar to Oubliette and phasing.

I think it's just the easiest way to present "make a token that you have to pay for and sacrifice to make another token" without making you carry a stack of both tokens and without abusing ETBs and sac triggers too much.

I suppose they could have also done it like Monstrosity or something like:

2: Place a hatch counter on Incubator. If Incubator has a hatch counter on it, treat it as if it were a 0/0 Phyrexian token artifact creature called Phyrexian.

But that's also really awkward too. It's a weird mechanic.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 29, 2023

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I find all of the face commanders intensely boring, which is somehow worse than just being generically bad. They clearly sliced a mana off what each would have been just a few years ago, which is goid, but sadly gorgot to add card text to make them interesting.

Eminence is a garbage mechanic that should never be revisited, because despite being low-power in tjis instance (I don't put much into a OPT loot on attack from a mid tribe), I absolutely hate a mechanic with no opportunity for interaction, from a design standpoint.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Framboise posted:

I suppose they could have also done it like Monstrosity or something like:

2: Place a hatch counter on Incubator. If Incubator has a hatch counter on it, treat it as if it were a 0/0 Phyrexian token artifact creature called Phyrexian.

But that's also really awkward too. It's a weird mechanic.

Yeah, you definitely don't want a token that's stacking up 2 different counters on itself by default. That's a bookkeeping nightmare.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't remember any of these characters from the story

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, you definitely don't want a token that's stacking up 2 different counters on itself by default. That's a bookkeeping nightmare.

Fair, but not unheard of due to keyword counters from Ikoria and such.

Still a weird and fairly low-impact mechanic. At least it's better than Amass.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Eminence is always much stronger than it appears, judging by the previous four times. Looting on attack in Esper is much stronger than it appears, from personal experience setting up reanimator plays with it. Sidar Jabari's value is that you never have to bother with him directly and Dauntless Bodyguard can do all the hard work of discarding Razaketh.

I'm not saying it's weak. I'm saying it's boring. Again, subjective, but I don't look at Jabari and start imagining fun brewing possibilities or crazy scenarios or novel applications.

I'll at least concede that Bright-Palm does a thing that many players find fun, even if it doesn't excite me specifically.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'm not saying it's weak. I'm saying it's boring. Again, subjective, but I don't look at Jabari and start imagining fun brewing possibilities or crazy scenarios or novel applications.

I'll at least concede that Bright-Palm does a thing that many players find fun, even if it doesn't excite me specifically.

Yeah, I'm not a counters doubler kind of player, but I don't begrudge people their Bright-Palm.

I just think Bright-Palm should have been the floor, not the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
One thing about the incubate tokens transforming is they are not creatures, you could stack some up, wrath then transform them.

It’d be a lot if mana though.