Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been buying from MERV 11 or 13 from Nordic Pure ever since we bought the house... they seem fine, and they're cheaper then the stuff in Lowes.

Furnace blower hasn't exploded yet! (but we've got a weird design where there's only one return)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Anyone got some kitchen or dining room chair recommendations? We've borrowed my parents' chairs and they would obviously like them back. I've been looking at some at IKEA and don't want to really break the bank, just nice, preferably wooden, reliable ones that can survive three boys in grade school.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

DTaeKim posted:

Anyone got some kitchen or dining room chair recommendations? We've borrowed my parents' chairs and they would obviously like them back. I've been looking at some at IKEA and don't want to really break the bank, just nice, preferably wooden, reliable ones that can survive three boys in grade school.

We got these

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/lisabo-chair-ash-00457235/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Alaterre-Furniture-60-in-L-Durango-Brown-Wood-Entryway-Dining-Bench-ANDU0474/312565428#overlay

So far they've survived everything that some adhd hellion nephews have thrown at them.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 27, 2023

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

DTaeKim posted:

We have a mess of these: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ivar-chair-pine-90263902/. They pair well with a chair pad of your color choice (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/malinda-chair-pad-light-beige-90307840/ is what we use) and can be painted should you wish to do so.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I installed our new Bosch 500-series dishwasher and it's running its first wash cycle. It blew my mind when I had to ask people to be quiet so I could tell if it was running. :tviv:

I may have to change up the drainage tubing. The default tube wasn't long enough to reach the drain connection, and my extension kit puts it near the maximum length according to the manual. Will see how it works first, then go buy a shorter extender if needed.

God drat this thing is quiet.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Thanks everyone. Time for an IKEA run.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Inner Light posted:

How to know when to replace? Seems like regardless of MERV all the Home Depot stuff says to replace every 90 days at minimum, but obviously I dunno if that is needed.

With 2 dogs in my house I replace my filter every 30 days. I also have some weird rear end filter size that's not available in any retail store either. 21 1/2 x 23 5/16 x 1 apparently is a weird carrier size filter that none of the major brands make so I have to special order them directly from a filter manufacture or amazon.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Beef Of Ages posted:

We have a mess of these: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/ivar-chair-pine-90263902/. They pair well with a chair pad of your color choice (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/malinda-chair-pad-light-beige-90307840/ is what we use) and can be painted should you wish to do so.

I have had a set of these for 20 years ($19 at the time) since I furnished my first apartment. They have held up unbelievably well, especially for the price.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My wife just bought a set of those to replace the current set our children have destroyed. Planning to stain and varnish them.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Saarinen tulip chairs, get two with arm wrests for the ends

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Upgrade posted:

'and just for fun i will google the chair in qu-THIS PIECE OF poo poo COSTS TWENTY FOUR HUNDRED DOLLARS?'

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Upgrade posted:

I have 8 of the similar cheap knockoffs from Amazon and honestly they're pretty great.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have a vintage one from the 60s I got for dirt cheap it’s awesome

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Make sure to inspect it for damage. I've got a coworker who had to send two back to Costco because of shipping damage.

Infinotize posted:

The Costco Hired Goons that delivered my w/d didn’t do anything right, I’d have them dolly the appliances to your general utility location and hook them up yourself.

They did the install correctly, but they showed up with two trucks, two washers, two dryers, and like 9,000 people to do the install because somehow multiple crews got assigned to the same house. After they sorted it out and one crew left, the install went normally. Then about an hour after the install finished, I got a call from Costco Logistics saying they were on their way. Again. :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TAKE ALL OF THE DRYERS.

Rabidbunnylover
Feb 26, 2006
d567c8526b5b0e
It's Costco. Maybe the dryers come in 4-packs?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We just got an HOA letter that someone has a master postal key to all the mailboxes and is stealing mail. Police are called, but since they expect the police to do nothing, they are recommending that everyone get boxes at the post office instead.

I loving love this cool new era of like 50% of package and now letters being stolen.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sundae posted:

We just got an HOA letter that someone has a master postal key to all the mailboxes and is stealing mail. Police are called, but since they expect the police to do nothing, they are recommending that everyone get boxes at the post office instead.

I loving love this cool new era of like 50% of package and now letters being stolen.

Call the USPIS directly and report it. The mail cops allegedly take this poo poo seriously.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Tunicate posted:

Call the USPIS directly and report it. The mail cops allegedly take this poo poo seriously.

Shall do. Thanks!

We literally have cars that follow the Amazon trucks around, like half a block behind them, and then just pick up the packages as they drop them off. I didn't think we had issues with the mailboxes themselves (apart from one that got forced open last year), but apparently yep, someone's just walking around unlocking them and taking poo poo.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Tunicate posted:

Haha. They do but like, there’s a limit to what is going to happen when lawlessness is high. My condo building has had the garage burglarized, our front heavy duty entry door has been crowbarred open, and our mail has been taken by thieves with USPS master key. All separate instances. All of this has been on camera, some with face masks some without and fully visible. There will be no legal consequences to anyone.

The police report is taken and that’s all you will ever hear of it, in my town.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That's more or less my take, at least for the local police's involvement. This is the same condo complex where our dog park was stolen. Twice. It's not even so much an issue of "why don't the police do anything" as much as it is that there's just too much going on for them to make much of a dent, plus the economic challenges of the area creating the perfect conditions for crime waves in the first place.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 30, 2023

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sundae posted:

Subtract the cost of a PO box from your HOA dues until they rectify the issue :agesilaus:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Johnny Truant posted:

Subtract the cost of a PO box from your HOA dues until they rectify the issue :agesilaus:

This is how you get a lien on your property. :hai:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
just report it stolen and get new packages, you don’t need to call the loving cops lmao

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lady Radia posted:

just report it stolen and get new packages, you don’t need to call the loving cops lmao

Yes I know this is the logical reaction these days, but pardon me for being so idealistic that I think there should be the barest minimum of incentives not to Do Crime. If everybody thought like you and nobody called the police for theft, theft would be easier. I don't want it to be easier.

Part of this response is frustration on my end, it's gotten so bad here people are 100% not attempting to call 911 for crimes in progress, even violent crimes. I think that attitude will cause problems as well.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 30, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Inner Light posted:

Yes I know this is the logical reaction these days, but pardon me for being so idealistic that I think there should be the barest minimum of incentives not to Do Crime. If everybody thought like you and nobody called the police for theft, theft would be easier. I don't want it to be easier.

Part of this response is frustration on my end, it's gotten so bad here people are 100% not attempting to call 911 for crimes in progress, even violent crimes. I think that attitude will cause problems as well.

police are not a deterrent, you’re not advocating for a solution you’re advocating for revenge

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

dude is in here advocating murder bc their colander got kicked off the porch lol

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Lady Radia posted:

police are not a deterrent, you’re not advocating for a solution you’re advocating for revenge

Lol

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

The real casualty of online retail dominance is less shops to shoplift from, shifting the occurrences to folks homes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sure the thief is only stealing food and medicine for their ailing family and is a good person who deserves our sympathies and understanding.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

dude is in here advocating murder bc their colander got kicked off the porch lol

Had a whiskey decanter stolen and I agree with the guy you're flaming

SpartanIvy posted:

I'm sure the thief is only stealing food and medicine for their ailing family and is a good person who deserves our sympathies and understanding.

With the above example it was MY food and medicine

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

SpartanIvy posted:

who cares? even chuds should think it’s a waste of cops time to deal with this trivially solvable issue lol

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tiny Timbs posted:

With the above example it was MY food and medicine

Have you considered that the thief is happier with those items than you would be? Therefore net happiness went up and the world is overall better because of it. Stop being so selfish.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I haven't run the intersectional utility calculation yet, no

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

quote:

Regular packages / stuff on my porch? Absolutely. I'm just hitting the closest option to "that dipshit in the Subaru" on the refund page. Cops aren't getting called there. That stuff (well, exception being medicine) doesn't matter. The medicine is a pain in the rear end because pharmacies hate to refill "stolen" prescriptions off-cycle, but that's not a regular thing for me at least.

Someone literally walking around taking stuff out of USPS mailboxes? gently caress no. That's where all the important stuff goes - the passports, credit cards, drivers' licenses, etc. "Report that stolen" is months and months of time, credit holds, hosed up travel plans and canceled flights, etc etc.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 30, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Sundae posted:

Regular packages / stuff on my porch? Absolutely. I'm just hitting the closest option to "that dipshit in the Subaru" on the refund page. Cops aren't getting called there. That stuff (well, exception being medicine) doesn't matter. The medicine is a pain in the rear end because pharmacies hate to refill "stolen" prescriptions off-cycle, but that's not a regular thing for me at least.

Someone literally walking around taking stuff out of USPS mailboxes? gently caress no. That's where all the important stuff goes - the passports, credit cards, drivers' licenses, etc. "Report that stolen" is months and months of time, credit holds, hosed up travel plans and canceled flights, etc etc.

if you see someone take poo poo out of your mailbox go beat ‘em up. if you need to do identity protection do that. this stuff isn’t hard, getting mad and calling the cops doesn’t prevent poo poo. I guess it gives you a sense of smug satisfaction and victimhood but still.

e: ok I don’t actually mean beat them up. I mean install a long trail of gunpowder from your mailbox to your garage, light the tail end of it when they approach, and have a rocket buried underneath it so that when they attempt to steal, they are fired into the stratosphere

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
House ownership makes people this way. You're going to love cops soon, sorry

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Lady Radia posted:

:getout: I’m sure you’d fare real well in your personal brand of fascist anarchist society. I’ll give you my phone number to call the next time you’re outside alone and feel scared. Crime, of all kinds (basically just the torts/harms tho), sucks and we need to do better.

Lady Radia posted:

if you see someone take poo poo out of your mailbox go beat ‘em up. if you need to do identity protection do that. this stuff isn’t hard, getting mad and calling the cops doesn’t prevent poo poo. I guess it gives you a sense of smug satisfaction and victimhood but still.

e: ok I don’t actually mean beat them up. I mean install a long trail of gunpowder from your mailbox to your garage, light the tail end of it when they approach, and have a rocket buried underneath it so that when they attempt to steal, they are fired into the stratosphere

Maybe I think I just dislike you

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Mar 31, 2023

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Inner Light posted:

:getout: I’m sure you’d fare real well in your personal brand of fascist anarchist society. I’ll give you my phone number to call the next time you’re outside alone and feel scared. Crime, of all kinds (basically just the torts/harms tho), sucks and we need to do better.

Maybe I think I just dislike you
:eyepop: holy moly what a self report. I’m universally beloved, you’d be the first

Epitope posted:

House ownership makes people this way. You're going to love cops soon, sorry

no…. Noo!! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The post office actually does have their own Mail Cops division, and they are of the Do Not gently caress Around federal police breed, I would get them involved yeah, they are likely to resolve the issue within days or weeks

Both the Post Office and the FCC loving love cracking down on poo poo like this, the live for stuff like this, It Is Their Jam