Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Dude that whole approach was pre-sighted. There were craters all over the place.

Taking cover from artillery in that basin is worse than standing in an open field. Would you like an explanation as to why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I would please

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Soul Dentist posted:

I would please

Okay, so back when I said that basin was sighted in, and the brilliant rejoinder of "that whole treeline is sighted in!" was made, well that treeline stretches for quite a distance and if you want to call in artillery on it, you'll need to provide specifics which depend on your ability to estimate range to the target. That basin is specific enough and small enough that the simple sentence "Hit the basin!" or whatever codeword you have for it is enough to call in a fire mission. Obviously closer is better, but an explosion anywhere within the confines of that basin is very likely to produce useful results for the defenders. Additionally, the levee that creates that basin will focus the concussive effects of artillery on anything squishy caught inside of it. Unlike a foxhole or a trenchline, which requires that artillery hit nearly perfectly to be effective, nearly anywhere inside of that basin will be effective. Furthermore, if you're propped up on the edge of the levee surrounding that basin you are not lying flat, and while you're not quite as nice of a target as someone standing still in the open, you still present a much larger cross section for either air or ground burst fragmentation than you would in a better position. If you were only worried about machinegun fire or tanks, that basin isn't a terrible place to be, but artillery is the king of battle, and that Ukrainian fighting position obviously had artillery assets assigned in support, making that whole basin a death trap.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/officejjsmart/status/1639888542254891011

this technology is too strong

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Soul Dentist posted:

I would please

Artillery shrapnel moves quickly and with enough momentum that every piece that doesn't embed itself in the middle of a tree trunk and stop moving has a big chance of hitting tree branches and other things that will then also move quickly. So not only are the soldiers dodging pieces of red hot flying metal, they are also dodging countless splinters and other debris kicked up by the explosion. Is that worth risking an approach in a wide open field and hoping your number doesn't come up? Well, that approach clearly didn't work either so probably not.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Chips in the COVID vaccine is sooo 2020, she needs to get with the program

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HIMARS instead *checks cards* makes your children view Michaelangelo's statue "David."

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

HIMARS instead *checks cards* makes your children view Michaelangelo's statue "David."

2spoopy

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Have things really slowed down recently? Seems like the Russian push is over and the Ukrainians are yet to launch their own offensive.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Pretty much yeah.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
1900 visually confirmed tanks lost.

https://twitter.com/PhillipsPOBrien/status/1640605888493809664

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

We're getting close to 10.000 vehicles lost, as always, the real number is higher.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Chips in the COVID vaccine is sooo 2020, she needs to get with the program

Everyone knows that it really makes Russians magnetic. They can defeat this by covering themselves in horse paste like Arnold in Predator.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Have things really slowed down recently? Seems like the Russian push is over and the Ukrainians are yet to launch their own offensive.
Didn't even manage to take Bakhmut. Low energy. Sad!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: Video is :nws: they include the section where you see a Russian soldier get shot down.

Looks like gopro Bakhmut trench hero survived his rotation to The Worst Place on Earth and got a gong for his trouble.

Link modified so nobody accidentally plays something NWS: https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1640449863572914177

He was also apparently presented with a 'reward weapon' of a M4A1 so uh... I guess he got enough XP to level up? I have no idea if I'm being trolled by twitter people or if this is a symbolic reward or if there's some actual no-poo poo 'kill enough Russians and we'll give you better guns to kill more Russians' thing going on.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 28, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Alchenar posted:

He was also apparently presented with a 'reward weapon' of a M4A1 so uh... I guess he got enough XP to level up?

This is more of a GunGame mechanic, actually

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is more of a GunGame mechanic, actually

Excellent.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Gamify your life. Gamify your war.

Disrupt! Inovate!

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Alchenar posted:

He was also apparently presented with a 'reward weapon' of a M4A1 so uh... I guess he got enough XP to level up? I have no idea if I'm being trolled by twitter people or if this is a symbolic reward or if there's some actual no-poo poo 'kill enough Russians and we'll give you better guns to kill more Russians' thing going on.

Slight NMS/NWS warning is warranted there, as you do see a Russian soldier get gunned down

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Gamify your life. Gamify your war.

Disrupt! Inovate!

Someone just mined enough copper to unlock a new prototype
https://youtu.be/rVFVEYkJwt0

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1640688733253951490?s=20

In lighter news, some of the more deranged Russian propaganda claiming that North Korea is about to provide them with almost a million troops.

I think it's unlikely enough to be considered comedy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Alchenar posted:

e: Video is :nws: they include the section where you see a Russian soldier get shot down.

Looks like gopro Bakhmut trench hero survived his rotation to The Worst Place on Earth and got a gong for his trouble.

Link modified so nobody accidentally plays something NWS: https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1640449863572914177

I’ve seen prior videos of fancy M4s and other AR series firearms handed out as rewards. Some dude was awarded with some uber-bubba’d Daniel Defence rifle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

PurpleXVI posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1640688733253951490?s=20

In lighter news, some of the more deranged Russian propaganda claiming that North Korea is about to provide them with almost a million troops.

I think it's unlikely enough to be considered comedy.

Kim Jong Un’s men will be blocking troops for kadyrov’s blocking troops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Russian State Media is single handedly depleting the world's copium stockpile. Current projections indicate that if consumption isn't reduced to sustainable levels soon people all around the world might be forced to face reality instead of the simulacra they've constructed via Facebook and Tik Tok.

God help us it's gonna be a hell of a hangover.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
If NK really do send a bunch of troops, when they inevitably get squished, will the dear leader be (a) indifferent; what's a few more dead North Koreans at the hand of a North Korean policy decision if it demonstrates North Koreas value to their Russian ally, or (b) annoyed at being mislead by Putin over Russia's war being anything but a complete dumpster fire?

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Can't say that I've seen many vids of boobytrapped buildings so far. This one's from Bakhmut

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1640464181802725376

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Pablo Bluth posted:

If NK really do send a bunch of troops, when they inevitably get squished, will the dear leader be (a) indifferent; what's a few more dead North Koreans at the hand of a North Korean policy decision if it demonstrates North Koreas value to their Russian ally, or (b) annoyed at being mislead by Putin over Russia's war being anything but a complete dumpster fire?

Fewer to feed. Because if Russia is this nonchalant about losing thousands, imagine NK giving a fuuuuuuck.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
The chance of North Korea sending Russia troops is zero. China would never permit it and North Korea is 100% dependent on China for just about everything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I was gonna say, as crazy as KJU is, I don't think he's stupid. There's no real benefit for him in sending troops to die.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crab Dad posted:

Fewer to feed. Because if Russia is this nonchalant about losing thousands, imagine NK giving a fuuuuuuck.

What are you basing this statement on? North Korea appears to care quite a bit more about their troops as they understand that their military is one of the major things that they have going for them. NK's military has always been heavily privileged wrt state resource distribution and, aside from losing the deterrent effect of their genuinely large military (fun fact that the huge number of NK SF thrown around is not hyperbole, albeit who knows exactly what that looks like in practice) the NK military turning against them is likely the single biggest thing that has any realistic chance of ending the Kim regime.

Lum_ posted:

The chance of North Korea sending Russia troops is zero. China would never permit it and North Korea is 100% dependent on China for just about everything.

that's more or less my read

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Herstory Begins Now posted:

What are you basing this statement on? North Korea appears to care quite a bit more about their troops as they understand that their military is one of the major things that they have going for them. NK's military has always been heavily privileged wrt state resource distribution and, aside from losing the deterrent effect of their genuinely large military (fun fact that the huge number of NK SF thrown around is not hyperbole, albeit who knows exactly what that looks like in practice) the NK military turning against them is likely the single biggest thing that has any realistic chance of ending the Kim regime.

that's more or less my read

Making a big assumption they would send bodies and not their actual military if this was even remotely realistic.

Just Putin is doing now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I could absolutely see KJU sending slave laborers to work in Russian defense plants that have been depleted of their workforce by the war, though.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Alchenar posted:

In previous interview, that guy claimed he learned situational awareness from PUBG. He also mentioned he's saving for a M4A1 because it was his favorite weapon in PUBG, but he's too young to own one. He's only 21, and Ukraine requires civilians be at least 25 to own a rifle. I guess they read it and got him his favorite gamer gun.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

psydude posted:

I could absolutely see KJU sending slave laborers to work in Russian defense plants that have been depleted of their workforce by the war, though.

special work forces have been sent for woodcutting in the past. I think they discontinued the practice for a while

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

golden bubble posted:

In previous interview, that guy claimed he learned situational awareness from PUBG. He also mentioned he's saving for a M4A1 because it was his favorite weapon in PUBG, but he's too young to own one. He's only 21, and Ukraine requires civilians be at least 25 to own a rifle. I guess they read it and got him his favorite gamer gun.

Dude's already out there risking his life in trenches, I'd say its well earned.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Dude's already out there risking his life in trenches, I'd say its well earned.

Lad needs a nightsight & red dot to fight the good fight.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

psydude posted:

Hasn't NK been already doing that through several great leaders?
They might step it up, but like everybody helping Putin, they will ask for payment in advance.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Alan Smithee posted:

special work forces have been sent for woodcutting in the past. I think they discontinued the practice for a while

People get a little too excited about man-mounted claymore mines sometimes.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

People get a little too excited about man-mounted claymore mines sometimes.

you mean you've never strapped a claymore to your chest and held the clacker in your hand while screaming at adversary soldiers to cross a bridge and fight you?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

orange juche posted:

you mean you've never strapped a claymore to your chest and held the clacker in your hand while screaming at adversary soldiers to cross a bridge and fight you?

No, but I probably would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

orange juche posted:

now i'm wondering how much backblast there'd be from one