Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

For those looking to see as much content as possible in a 2nd or 3rd run. I can't recommend cheating enough, the amount of skill dialogue in this game is incredible and getting to hear all the little interactions between the different skills is fun. I pumped all my skills up to 20 by editing the save file and it was a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You need to start with 4 in inland empire to be ever able to interact with the tie, iirc.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Skippy McPants posted:

Lore Question: it's established that travel between isola requires passing through the pale, which is exceedingly difficult, and accomplished via aerostatic. So how does the Coalition move fleets of warships from one isola to another?

Answered (as best can be) but I'm catching up on the thread.

One of my favorite bit of lore details RE: The Pale is that the rules about Pale travel very closely mirror real life rules about radiation exposure.

Pale travel has monthly, yearly and (it can be inferred) lifetime limits for exposure. The only stated limits are 6 days annually for civilians and 22 days for the Business Class like our Sunday Friend and Joyce. Similarly there are industrial standards for radiation exposure that vary depending on the type and source of radiation, but when I did work at CERN we were limited by measured dose rate as measured by a Dosimeter we had to wear at all times in the active areas.

Additionally, there's the obvious "exceptions for industry" when we look at the Pale Drivers and the poor truck driver who was suffering from over-radiation. Capital must move and the rules are for those in power. Those tasked with moving said capital aren't protected by the rules, but bound by them. If you suffer ill effects through over exposure, you're merely blamed for not following exposure limits and fired, even though adhering to those rules without being "of the right class" or if you have a lovely boss just gets you the same punishment.

There's so many things about the DE world that I'd love to see explored along those lines.

A little bit of creeping horror from that situation that could be mirrored in DE well:

The Dosimeters were passive systems. They simply counted interactions as the day went on, they weren't geiger counters that actively alerted you. So while there were safety systems and protocols to control exposure, it's still an invisible undetectable danger. Things can go wrong and you won't know it unless you manage to walk through an active beam. At the end of our shifts we'd have to plug in out dosimeters to leave so it could record our exposure and show you how much it had detected. The idea being if you had gone over the exposure limits the door literally wouldn't open for you next time you tried to get in. 99.999% of the time you'd get a reading that was less than a dental xray. But you could plug it in only to find out you'd have received a fatal dose already, some time in the last few hours, having spent part of your remaining life finishing up your shift.

Sure, an astronomically unlikely event with all the safety systems in place somewhere like CERN, but it still existed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It could be worse we mailed our dosimeters in quarterly. At least I had a meter on me at all times for cl7 work. The meter was older than me. But atleast I knew it was calibrated yearly and functional and has a good check source to check it on.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

i am a moron posted:

He didn’t make it too far from his car IIRC and now that I think about how tf did he get back after he broke the water lock

Harry can teleport. As can all massively drunk people, just suddenly appearing in a place with no memory of travelling from their previously known location.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Obviously he rolled box cars on his Savoir Faire check to get across.

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006

Crain posted:

Answered (as best can be) but I'm catching up on the thread.

One of my favorite bit of lore details RE: The Pale is that the rules about Pale travel very closely mirror real life rules about radiation exposure.

Thx, that was a cool post.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

It could be worse we mailed our dosimeters in quarterly. At least I had a meter on me at all times for cl7 work. The meter was older than me. But atleast I knew it was calibrated yearly and functional and has a good check source to check it on.

Lmao gently caress. That seems a bit too bureaucratic. Was it at least next day mail?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Crain posted:

Was it at least next day mail?

No!

The results would take weeks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, if you really want to cheat for more content just make sure you unlock Goracy's Brew as soon as possible and drink it because the stat boost it gives your Physique is permeant. That means it can give you the equivalent of 18 to 24 skill points immediately depending on how high your electrochemistry is.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
for like two weeks i've been hearing FYAD's current title in Alice's voice in my head, as if Harry had asked about FYAD. i think it's just because it's easy to hear "fardit" in a french accent. "Sombody fardit? Smell like... doodoo." but you have to say "doodoo" in a hosed up french way where you emphasize the first syllable. idk

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Same but Jules

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
lol that's a fun one too

i have to say, i really like the decisions his VA made. he sounds like a french guy kind of half-assing an impression of a badass hardboiled american guy.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Jules is great, his weary, deadpan filtering of both sides of the lost badge/gun/wiener conversation is one of the funniest aspects of that whole scene.

Started replaying again and saw a new bit (for me) as a passive Esprit check in the first big Shivers moment outside the Whirling (what's to the north? etc.) gave me a little scene of Jean back at the precinct asking Torson and MacLane if they'd seen Harry over the weekend, and his realisation that HDB must still be in Martinaise. Must have never had enough Esprit that early before. Man there's a lot of stuff in this game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

sebzilla posted:

Jules is great, his weary, deadpan filtering of both sides of the lost badge/gun/wiener conversation is one of the funniest aspects of that whole scene.

Started replaying again and saw a new bit (for me) as a passive Esprit check in the first big Shivers moment outside the Whirling (what's to the north? etc.) gave me a little scene of Jean back at the precinct asking Torson and MacLane if they'd seen Harry over the weekend, and his realisation that HDB must still be in Martinaise. Must have never had enough Esprit that early before. Man there's a lot of stuff in this game.

Jules is cool, if you manage to successfully lie about having your gun and then later admit you actually don't have it he'll tell you he already knew you didn't have it and it's in his report but he'll keep it quiet so as not to embarrass you and give you some time to get it back.

Harry has a remarkably large amount of patient and sympathetic people in his life willing to offer him support and compassion whom he's been taking for granted and actively mistreating for years upon years.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

What are your favourite locations in the game, for whatever reason?

Pretty sure mine is Neha, the Dicemaker's studio. It's such a calm and pleasant spot, and the idea of being quietly industrious in a space that nobody else knows exists appeals to me. I think the soundtrack has a lot to do with it too, and Neha herself with her gentle amusement at all Harry's *Entity* stuff. One of the few places I'm actively sad to leave each time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the dicemaker's studio gives me insane anxiety for basically the exact reason you like it. i just can't fathom how she exists logistically or economically, so i just try to avoid her whenever possible.

i really like the dock area where joyce and cindy chill out.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Rene is a fascist who won’t be missed, but I do kind of dig just sitting by the shore hanging out with two old guys playing bocce. Prime vibes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Countblanc posted:

the dicemaker's studio gives me insane anxiety for basically the exact reason you like it. i just can't fathom how she exists logistically or economically, so i just try to avoid her whenever possible.

She makes dice. Boardgames are probably way more popular in that world given the difference in technologies makes Video Games less feasible. Plus I don't think she's paying rent.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
You’d think she isn’t paying rent due to not being part of the DCA

Also my favorite game location is whirling in rags hands down. Has some of the best characters (Garte, Klassje, Titus) and amazing moments like karoke

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I really like the barren parts of the coast, like the 'lands end' trap location. Really good 'alone with a cold wind' vibes, which are some of my favourites irl too

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I like the fishing village but it's going to be so much better once Mr. Evrart makes his improvements.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I think I do like the second home - it does genuinely feel cozy. A little respite from the other places.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if it is actually possible to move in to the decrepit abandoned communist hideout, I never tried.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

sebzilla posted:

What are your favourite locations in the game, for whatever reason?
The church is where the game peaked for me.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

inside the shipping container; the visuals are A+ and the whole experience is so absurd. especially with Kim being Kim and just going “Christ, this poo poo again?”

alternate option: next to Cuno.
because Cuno doesn’t loving care and I love that for him.

on yet another replay and while talking to Joyce I got caught in a loop and repeated that whole interaction 4 times. it somehow got even funnier each time, kind of like how you can watch a comedy multiple times and each time notice how different background characters react when it somehow didn’t hit before.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 26, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The church is where the game peaked for me.

The church was the peak

But the most iconic moment for me will always be stepping out of Whirling and the Martinaise theme starting for the first time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Plenty of iconic moments, I personally completely lost it when I failed to control mouth and spouted misogynistic diarrhea all over while desperately trying to shut myself up and more positively when I successfully commanded Kim to DANCE

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

steinrokkan posted:

The church was the peak

But the most iconic moment for me will always be stepping out of Whirling and the Martinaise theme starting for the first time.

those muted trumpets are a hell of a thing

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

the escape goat posted:

inside the shipping container; the visuals are A+ and the whole experience is so absurd. especially with Kim being Kim and just going “Christ, this poo poo again?”

alternate option: next to Cuno.
because Cuno doesn’t loving care and I love that for him.

on yet another replay and while talking to Joyce I got caught in a loop and repeated that whole interaction 4 times. it somehow got even funnier each time, kind of like how you can watch a comedy multiple times and each time notice how different background characters react when it somehow didn’t hit before.

Is that the loop where your stats have to force a "reboot" to get you out of it? I absolutely love that the game plants a seed when Kim gets you out of that loop normally when he's around.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Samovar posted:

I think I do like the second home - it does genuinely feel cozy. A little respite from the other places.

definitely. though honestly: the ground floor of the Whirling is always a nice place to be too. you're doing good, Garte

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The Whirling rocks. Garte is great, blemishes and all. There are some great piano covers of songs like the dilapidated apartment building and dicemaker's theme on youtube. Check em out.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The whirling is obviously pretty central to the game but I actually really like Evrart's office, lots of little details even outside of it being a very tough first second boss fight

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I like late night Whirling when everyone has gone home and the pianos get real soft and quiet. You can imagine seeing the snow through the sodium street lights. You can imagine being cold and damp after a long day detecting, and the warmth and dust of the old building.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s really warm, right until you retire to the room whose window you threw a shoe through

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Countblanc posted:

She's called a "Novelty Dice maker" and from what I can remember from what I read on the Disco Elysium back ground information novelty is produced from humans connecting with the pale, so I think the implication is that listening to the radio all day has connected (probably without her knowledge) to the pale which makes the dice she creates extra cool.

If you want to survive in this economy you need a supernatural edge.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

space uncle posted:

I like late night Whirling when everyone has gone home and the pianos get real soft and quiet. You can imagine seeing the snow through the sodium street lights. You can imagine being cold and damp after a long day detecting, and the warmth and dust of the old building.

I love whirling's 12 PM track. When work fukken sucks and I'm stressed out, I enable the noise cancelling mode on my headset and just crank that up on repeat and I'm immediatedly enveloped in a cocoon of productivity and *sadness*

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I really loved the union office. The design fits great with the external building with the curved walls and glass windows facing down into the harbour and that feeling that someone was just there and could return at any moment. As the first indoor place I visited after The Whirling, that was the point where the game went from interesting to truly great for me.

As far as I remember there's nothing particularly interesting to find there. There were a lot of interesting flavour tidbits and notes to find.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I really love 8am Whirling-in-Rags. The theme is my jam and everything about it reminds me of the $20/night hostels of my halcyon* youth.

*alcoholic and drug-addled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
End of Day 1 debrief with Kim sticks out in my mind as a gem. Why didn't we do this every evening, Kim? Why didn't we do this at the end of everything :(