Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ohhh, this is very interesting. Thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Even though I went through this exact problem when I installed Windows 11 only a couple of months ago, I still took like 30 minutes after this latest update to figure out why all of my sound was in mono until I discovered probably the same Reddit post as last time telling me it's the drat sound enhancement thing which toggled itself back on with this newest update.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If I get a W11 pro license can I make it so updates do less dumb things and disable all the dumb enhancements windows so graciously opts me into?

Like some sort of way to make windows act like a business machine (that plays a lot of videogames) but has the relative stability of my work-provided W10 laptop?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

buglord posted:

If I get a W11 pro license can I make it so updates do less dumb things and disable all the dumb enhancements windows so graciously opts me into?

Like some sort of way to make windows act like a business machine (that plays a lot of videogames) but has the relative stability of my work-provided W10 laptop?

I have pro and as far as I know there's no option like that baked in. had this launcher that loaded in power shell I don't remember what it was and am at work atm but it downloaded something else I think it was called optimizer. and that had options to disable all windows updates or just feature updates.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 15, 2023

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

runaway dog posted:

Even though I went through this exact problem when I installed Windows 11 only a couple of months ago, I still took like 30 minutes after this latest update to figure out why all of my sound was in mono until I discovered probably the same Reddit post as last time telling me it's the drat sound enhancement thing which toggled itself back on with this newest update.

I think I'm experiencing the same thing. How do you disable the sound enhancement?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Outpost22 posted:

I think I'm experiencing the same thing. How do you disable the sound enhancement?

Edit: right click on the speaker icon in your system tray and go to sound options, go to your audio device and click the arrow next to it scroll down to audio enchancements click the drop box and select off

furthermore you may have to go into control panel/hardware and sound/manage audio devices, scroll down to your audio device, click it, click the properties button at the bottom, click the advanced tab on the new window uncheck the box for audio enhancements.

dunno if these 2 options are connected but I did method 1 the first time and method 2 this time.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 16, 2023

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

buglord posted:

In Windows 10 pro it was possible to manage a lot of these kind of things via group policies (gpo).

I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for but I think it's a possibility, others may have a better idea though.

I am not on Windows 11 but I think that is a functionality they kept in pro.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So windows 11 has readded the task bar search on an update,this time with a little panda in the corner. Think you can appeal to my love of animals to get me to use bing eh Microsoft?

Crafty

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does anyone have Local Security Authority turned off for reason X today? Maybe another hosed up Windows Defender update?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ihmemies posted:

Does anyone have Local Security Authority turned off for reason X today? Maybe another hosed up Windows Defender update?

I noticed it last night, yeah. Tried to turn it on and got some error message I don't remember right now.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ihmemies posted:

Oh jeez, I thought I might've gotten a virus or something since it said it was off even after turning it on.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

buglord posted:

What dumb things or instability in particular? There are several places to look to disable ads. You can disable or limit updates via GPO or registry editor similar to in Windows 10. I would NOT suggest that though for security. Maybe just disable automatic updates so you could still do them by clicking the button.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Ihmemies posted:

yeah saw the same notice when i booted my pc up this morning

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

consider me +1

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So the only thing is to wait for MS to unfuck their updates.. again.. I guess :shrug:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Asking here cause its "Windows 11" only at the moment.

I know the answer is very very likely "its a PREVIEW Moron!" but Apple Music Preview (ie, "new" iTunes) seems to be missing some pretty key features but maybe I'm blind?

I can't figure out how to sync my iPhone, either over wifi or lightning cable. Is the feature just not "there" yet?

I guess no media controls is also a missing feature?

It's a shame really, because from a UI and UI responsiveness point its so much more responsive and better than iTunes. Imagine! The UI not freezing for 20 seconds when searching your library but instead is near instantaneous like a modern app!

EDIT: Yeah. I solved my own problem. Not being able to sync my phone is a pretty big missing feature. Back to iTunes.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 18, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I cant figure out why seemingly at random wireless syncing stops working on iTunes.

What an awful awful program. There’s always some issue with it, even leaving performance aside.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
so I just found out on windows preview you can use link your phone with an iphone like you used to with dell/alienware mobile connect before intel bought it and killed it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

They also added iCloud Photos integration to the Windows Photos app, which is handy, but something broke recently for me. It shows that there are new photos, but you can’t view them.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rinkles posted:

They also added iCloud Photos integration to the Windows Photos app, which is handy, but something broke recently for me. It shows that there are new photos, but you can’t view them.

I fixed that by making them stay in device instead of streaming.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Celexi posted:

I fixed that by making them stay in device instead of streaming.

That’s an option in the Photos app?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Rinkles posted:

That’s an option in the Photos app?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
doesn't show on the icloud app as an option like drive does though, has to be done in explorer

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Apple Music doesn’t do phone poo poo anymore in MacOS. All handled by Finder directly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Apple Music doesn’t do phone poo poo anymore in MacOS. All handled by Finder directly.

But presumably it’ll have to on Windows if iTunes is going away?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah it would be kind of unfortunate to get rid of that functionality. If I can't sync my phone and see charge status on my PC then I have one less reason to have any Apple software installed on my PC at all.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
also updating my iphone via pc is so much faster than the ota

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Rinkles posted:

But presumably it’ll have to on Windows if iTunes is going away?

When they released the new Apple Music preview app, they also released an AppleTV and a Apple Devices app for managing syncing stuff.

They're in the MS store now if you want to try it out, you don't have to uninstall iTunes but you can't use both at the same time for some weird reason. You have to uninstall the preview apps to get iTunes working again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Goons, help me out here. I have filled my primary SSD, and looking at WizTree there are four files eating up 120GB of my 1TB drive:

The folder says System Restore but further googling suggests they are files for Xbox games. The problem is that I don't have any system restore points nor any Xbox games installed, and after managing to get access to the folder under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MSIXVC I found absolutely nothing in there... But counting up the GB in WizTree, Windows is definitely counting that space as used.

So, where the hell are these files, what are they, how do I get rid of them?

Further update, I booted up Ubuntu to peek inside those folders, definitely nothing in there.

I am at a loss, but I might upgrade my storage anyway (I only have 1.5TB total, plus a spinny drive for local backup) then just do a full reinstall of Windows to clear out any old files and folders instead of trying to battle with the OS. Really bizarre though.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

CBD Corndog posted:

When they released the new Apple Music preview app, they also released an AppleTV and a Apple Devices app for managing syncing stuff.

They're in the MS store now if you want to try it out, you don't have to uninstall iTunes but you can't use both at the same time for some weird reason. You have to uninstall the preview apps to get iTunes working again.

Ohhhhh....that's how you sync the Phone now. That makes a lot of sense now that iOS syncing has been offloaded to Finder on MacOS.

No Podcasts app though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wish that worked at all for me, two monitors and one can take d-port, doesn't matter how I configure the fuckin things or connect them, after they turn off for power saving it shoves all my windows onto monitor 1 even with "remember where they were" set. Also sometimes the minimize animation goes to the wrong monitor and while not actually a problem it does annoy the hell out of me.

Followup - the minimizing thing no longer seems to happen, and oddly enough apps end up on the right screen but only coming out of sleep. If the monitors just shut off for inactivity (which they do..prior to sleep) then everything ends up on monitor #1. PersistentWindows does at least solve it but, it sure would be nice if it worked properly without.

Well that's computers for ya.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

something about the way right clicking on a task bar item, for example an open file explorer, and then selecting something from the menu, such as opening another file explorer, has changed since 10 because I'm trying to click stuff and instead popping open the little preview window of the task next to it, such as firefox, and immediately closing the menu, used afaik the same settings in 10 and never had this problem ever.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

When I right-click on a folder/file in Windows 11, is there a way to make it so I don't have to click "show more options" every time to show the actual options I want to use?

VDP1
Mar 11, 2023
i've been visited by the
[**]Linux Gnu (cow)[**]

WerthersWay posted:

When I right-click on a folder/file in Windows 11, is there a way to make it so I don't have to click "show more options" every time to show the actual options I want to use?

code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

VDP1 posted:

code:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\CLSID\{86ca1aa0-34aa-4e8b-a509-50c905bae2a2}\InprocServer32" /f /ve

This works, but so does just holding the “Shift” key when you right click. No RegEdit needed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

This works, but so does just holding the “Shift” key when you right click. No RegEdit needed.

No regedit needed, just a dab of glue under your Shift key.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

nielsm posted:

No regedit needed, just a dab of glue under your Shift key.

WORKS GREAT THANK YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kirbysuperstar posted:

WORKS GREAT THANK YOU

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Been a while since something so PG on this site has made me laugh.